• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How often do you send personal e-mails?

• Frequently

Votes: 17 9.7%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • Never

Votes: 104 59.1%

• Total voters

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was scrolling through my g-mail inbox just tidying up when the thought struck me that I think I could probably count on my hands the actual amount of typed out e-mails I've sent out over the years. Especially since the dawn of social media. I was just wondering does anyone on their personal time actually still use e-mail to communicate with other people?

Texting, messenger apps , discord, twitter all seem like just way easier ways to keep in touch with your personal contacts these days.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
last one was like 10 years ago. my private email is just for account confirmations. i haven't even checked in a looong while.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Rarely. But that lines up with my historical consistency. I rarely sent emails even at its height.

I barely text or use discord (I hate Discord). Since AIM and Skype died, I do little chatting. If you want to talk to me, you better catch me in a twitter thread or call.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Only if I'm also forwarding info about travel bookings/reservations that would impact them also. Then I'll use email, since I can just forward the info with it.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I had a friend who was banned from most social media. I communicated with her via text or email.

That was...3 years ago? She's now allowed access to some social media.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I do work email to work email to communicate with some people. Usually for stuff that I don't expect responses outside work hours. People are usually more reliable with how often they check their work email than the multitude of other communication options out there.

My grandparents also email me sometimes but they usually call.

Composer

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Almost every day for work. In personal email, definitely some between bandmates for sending ideas and stuff. Also great when networking for film, music, etc.. gigs/work. Not sure how people are not using email still for this. It's still the most professional way to approach an individual on the internet.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i only get personal (non-work) emails if it involves files being attached. which is like once in a blue moon

even older members of my family who send chain emails and shit eventually moved on from that

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've got a group of other old dudes that aren't on social media at all, that have a massive group email that spans over many years. All friends for over ten years.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Quite often for school/work, probably once or twice a year for anything else. I mainly see it as form of "professional" communication and little else.

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
Can't actually remember ever sending an email to friends and family, unless it's been something like online concert tickets or some kind of documents I needed to forward 🤷‍♂️

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Work: All the time.

Other: Frequently for the past 6 months due to working with a realtor and lenders while house searching.

Personal (friends/family): Practically never ever since my grandfather passed away. He lived in Arizona and me in Maryland, and we'd exchange letters periodically since I was a kid. When I flew out to visit him and my grandmother back in 2012, I helped him set up a computer and an email account. He passed away in 2015.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Maybe once a year? And that's when I don't have their phone number/social media account.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I use it for contacting people for some kind of service. Just recently made a real estate sale and purchase and have done a lot of stuff via email for that. But for family and friends? Rarely.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
For work? Daily. I like doing everything by email. This way I am able to get all the facts together instead of being blindsided by any questions, and end up scrambling for said info on the phone.

Personally? Holy shit…. Uh…. I think I yelled at Fandango via email a while back about a movie that wouldn't play correctly?

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Not often, but on Friday I responded to an email from a comedy show organizer and got 4 guest list entries for a Doug Benson/Melissa Villasenor show. Shit was hype af!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'll forward emails if I think it's something a friend will enjoy, or I'll email a link to a site instead of texting it in certain circumstances, but otherwise not often.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably once every other month.

Now that we're adults, my siblings write weekly emails about what they and their families have been doing. It's something our father has done every week for as long as any of us can remember, and it has basically created a journal of our family for the last 50 years*, which is really cool.
But as much as I've wanted to do it, I've never been able to find the discipline to do it.

*obviously they weren't emails for the last 50 years. He wrote regular letters before email, and he still has copies of all of them.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Im a remote worker so I use email a lot when someone isn't available on Teams. Outside of that its just banking/brokerage updates, utility and insurance billing reminders, Youtube/Patreon updates and USPS Daily Digest emails that have the photos of mail arriving that day (or the next). And those are all inbound emails. Rarely send many anymore. Outbox from my personal email is all to family members that dont use text messages for whatever reason.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Never. Email is for my boomer led workplace who do not understand and other way of communication because they think it lets them catch every mistake "on the record".

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I think the only time I send personal emails is when I do a friend's taxes and I'm giving them a copy. Anything else is going to be through text message or messaging apps.

I email a ton for work though.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
3-4 times per year and 90% chance it's just me sending something to my wife so she could print it off for me.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does forwarding shit count? Like if the wife or I get an email we need to forward to each other? Like she books a our vacation place via VRBO and forwards me the email?

Basically never other than that.