• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have heard some people defend Silence of the Lambs by stating that they specifically make sure to say and repeat in the movie how Buffalo Bill isn't transgender, but I dunno if that's enough... that portrayal definitely did affect people's perception of trans individuals in a negative manner.

Yeah, that confusion of what is or isn't trans is part of the problem, even if Silence did make an attempt to stop that comparison. It's just fucking hard to naysay what are otherwise amazing movies.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why conservative TCM fans would be surprised by this - TCM has been doing series like this since 2006.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TCM is the only reason I wish I still had cable. But it's not worth spending an extra 50/mth or so just to watch.

It's been a few years since I saw Rope, what was problematic about it? Just that Jimmy Stewart's character was essentially a eugenicist? It's not like he was portrayed positively in the film (from what I remember). Or was there something else I've forgotten about?
In the play it's based on the two murderers are gay. It was removed in the movie, but a lot of people find a lot of subtext about it. That's what I would assume it's going into?
IIRC, Jimmy Stewart was supposed to be gay too.

Jimmy Stewart is a gay university teacher. He talks about eugenics. He has two gay students who look up to him as a mentor. They decide to do a murder. Jimmy Stewart: "Whoa whoa whoa, this is all just academic theory that I'm talking here. You kids are getting a little too into this discussion."

Then the movie turns into seeing if the one gay man is going to uncover the crime and catch the two gay killers.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have heard some people defend Silence of the Lambs by stating that they specifically make sure to say and repeat in the movie how Buffalo Bill isn't transgender, but I dunno if that's enough... that portrayal definitely did affect people's perception of trans individuals in a negative manner.

Isn't that an issue with the audience rather than the film itself?

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that TCM's Facebook page is a boomer right wing wasteland, so I can only assume they'll be totally on board with this.
Most facebook "pages" are shit, groups are where you want to go (A24s independent groups is good). And I imagine most millennials would go to criterion or a independent classic film group

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty interesting.

GB Shaw had the ending right the first time. The last 5 mins completely changes the whole thing!

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah i rewatched it recently and it isnt enough. like half of bill's screentime is devoted to the goodbye horses part, thats indelibly the mark it will leave on viewers, not lecter's one line that bill isn't trans

Isn't that an issue with the audience rather than the film itself?
sure, but i would posit that the filmmakers know what they were doing to elicit the most shock out of the character, its not like they injected any nuance into that performance