• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday proposed banning menthol cigarettes, a landmark action applauded by leading health and civil rights groups that say the industry has a history of aggressively marketing to Black communities and causing severe harm, including higher rates of smoking-related illness and death.
Menthol has deep roots in Black communities. In the 1950s, about 10 percent of Black smokers used menthol cigarettes. Today, more than 85 percent of Black smokers choose menthol cigarettes — almost three times the proportion for White smokers. Researchers and regulators have found the sharp rise was a result of aggressive marketing in Black communities — especially of menthol cigarettes — by the tobacco industry. The cigarette companies deny targeting Black communities. African Americans die of tobacco-related illnesses, including cancer and heart disease, at higher rates than other groups.
The Biden administration, in proposing the menthol ban, is taking on an issue that has fueled strong emotions. While many Black health leaders and civil rights organizations support prohibiting menthol cigarettes, some prominent individuals and groups warn that a ban would turn Black smokers into law breakers and lead to potentially dangerous confrontations with police.
The Rev. Al Sharpton, who recently met with administration officials, said in a letter to the White House that a prohibition "would exacerbate existing, simmering issues around racial profiling, discrimination, and policing." He urged the administration instead to create a commission to study the potential effects of a menthol ban on Black communities.
"We're not opposing anything, we're raising questions and asking them to get these answers," Sharpton said in an interview with The Post's Health 202 this week.
"These Black leaders are all saying the same thing they have said for a decade, that a ban on menthol will lead to the criminalization of Black youth," said Delmonte Jefferson, executive director of the Center for Black Health & Equity, a nonprofit. "They are saying, 'Don't ban menthol, don't ban something that is killing us.' "

Derrick Johnson, president and chief executive officer of NAACP, said in a recent letter to administration officials that failing to ban menthol cigarettes would itself "be discriminatory and counter to the goal and function of the FDA to protect and promote public health for all, including the African-American community."
"If implemented, the FDA's enforcement of any ban on menthol cigarettes and all flavored cigars will only address manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, importers and retailers," agency officials said last year in announcing plans to propose a ban.
"The FDA has no authority to enforce against possession," said Joelle Lester, director of commercial tobacco control programs at the Public Health Law Center at Mitchell Hamline School of Law in Minnesota.
Studies have shown that menthol makes it easier for young people to start smoking by masking the throat irritation caused by cigarettes.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
"Studies have shown that menthol makes it easier for young people to start smoking by masking the throat irritation caused by cigarettes."

Really? If anything menthols seem more harsh to me....

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Most of the people I know have quit or switched to vaping. Even severe addicts have gone completely cold turkey like my dad.

I kind of wish they hadn't quit just so this could piss them off.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Really don't know how to feel about the targeted ban. At the same time, as a long time off and on smoker, I'd be totally in favor of a ban on ALL cigarettes.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
This feels a little groundhog day. Didn't they try to ban menthols before?

Anyway many of my young friends opted for menthol for exactly the reasons described in the article. Even most continuing smokers my age I know prefer menthol, and have said they would quit if they couldn't buy them.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Because marijuana is a Schedule I drug, I don't think the FDA can regulate the retail side of that industry at all. So flavored pre-rolls will likely be safe until decriminalization.

I am kinda torn on that. I am not a proponent of smoking just feel like this targeted ban doesn't feel like the answer. Besides, you could always vape it.

As far as this goes, yes, this is targeted. But mentholated cigs and flavored products are also targeted and marketed to specific audiences.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Opposed. The way addiction works is a large black market develops and then you have just made another kind of addict, which is a health condition, into a criminal. And what do you know it's the cigarettes used disproportionately by Black people? What could go wrong.

Treatment, advertising restrictions, community change, education, divert youth etc. It's exhausting that people don't care so much about effective approaches to addiction they just want to ban cigarettes. I don't see how this will help current menthol users at all. I know some folks in here have struggled themselves and lost loved ones to these terrible things. With this kind of ban they still smoke, they are just more vulnerable to police action. I guess it's like cigarette taxes, everyone knows poor people still buy them they just like to feel like someone is doing something

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
do legal states sell flavored pre-roll joints/blunts?
On a Federal level, Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug and considered to have no accepted medicinal use. All legalization- both medicinal and recriational- is on a state level that the federal government has no jurisdiction over. If it ever gets federal approval for either medicinal use or recreational use, it would likely then have to comply with this

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
On a Federal level, Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug and considered to have no accepted medicinal use. All legalization- both medicinal and recriational- is on a state level that the federal government has no jurisdiction over. If it ever gets federal approval for either medicinal use or recreational use, it would likely then have to comply with this

The feds do have jurisdiction over it. They choose not to enforce the laws against marijuana in those states.

Opposed. The way addiction works is a large black market develops and then you have just made another kind of addict, which is a health condition, into a criminal. And what do you know it's the cigarettes used disproportionately by Black people? What could go wrong.

Treatment, advertising restrictions, community change, education, divert youth etc. It's exhausting that people don't care so much about effective approaches to addiction they just want to ban cigarettes. I don't see how this will help current menthol users at all. I know some folks in here have struggled themselves and lost loved ones to these terrible things. With this kind of ban they still smoke, they are just more vulnerable to police action. I guess it's like cigarette taxes, everyone knows poor people still buy them they just like to feel like someone is doing something

As someone involved in harm reduction, I absolutely agree with most of what you said. I think the banning of the sale of menthols would be okay and not the criminalization of possession. Ideally, all drugs would be decriminalized or legal.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

That's what I figured but my question is if it will impact the sale of flavored empty cones/wraps as they can technically be used for tobacco and purchased in non-legalized states

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

The FDA cannot enforce possession. This is a ban on marketing and retail sales.

Regardless, Canada has already done this and there has been no increase in either criminal selling/purchasing or black/brown incarceration as a result.

It has led more people to quit smoking all together and most people just moved on to a different product.

The impact of Canada's Menthol Cigarette Ban on quitting among menthol smokers and projections of impact in the European Union: Findings from the ITC Project

Pre-conference Event- 10 June 2021: ENSP Scientific Webinar “Effects and Challenges in Enforcing Ban on Flavoured Tobacco Products” Background: Menthol in cigarettes has been long-recognized as an additive that reduces harshness and enhances appeal, which results in greater uptake by youth...

That's what I figured but my question is if it will impact the sale of flavored empty cones/wraps as they can technically be used for tobacco and purchased in non-legalized states

The FDA hasn't mentioned those products, has it? News reports have been specific about "menthol" and "flavored cigarettes."

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
The FDA cannot enforce possession. This is a ban on marketing and retail sales.

Regardless, Canada has already done this and there has been no increase in either criminal selling/purchasing or black/brown incarceration as a result.

It has led more people to quit smoking all together and most people just moved on to a different product.

The impact of Canada's Menthol Cigarette Ban on quitting among menthol smokers and projections of impact in the European Union: Findings from the ITC Project

Pre-conference Event- 10 June 2021: ENSP Scientific Webinar “Effects and Challenges in Enforcing Ban on Flavoured Tobacco Products” Background: Menthol in cigarettes has been long-recognized as an additive that reduces harshness and enhances appeal, which results in greater uptake by youth...

I partially misunderstood the targets of the ban, thank you for clarifying. And it is encouraging to see it having some impact in Canada. However, the demographics of Canada are dramatically different from the US, and the border situation isn't the same either, so I'm still pretty skeptical that this isn't going to cause collateral damage somewhere along the drug trafficking pipelines.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm remember a store manager I had from a previous life. I wonder how he would react if this became a thing.....

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now it is MY TIME to invent the new, patented, At-Home-Menthol-Infuser. All you have to do is put your [products] inside the chamber and your [products] will be slowly infused with menthol for aromatherapeutic purposes! Small incenses, large incenses, papers, herbs *koff*; all can be infused with the holistic powers of menthol!

Yes yes, this is the best plan ever, agree with me.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people won't like it but it's the right move. Especially if they aren't banning the POSSESION of it. Just the sale. I don't see an issue.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
If it's banning the sale and marketing of it then I think it'll be good but controversial. As long as possession isn't outlawed things should be "fine". Though I know this one is a tricky one

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
My mom finally quit the habit but she's so against the guvment tellin her what to do I can see her going out and buying some to stick it to Biden.