• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who wins?

• Man

Votes: 24 2.2%
  • Bear

Votes: 962 90.2%
  • Whoever wins, we lose

Votes: 40 3.7%
  • Human with fire axe

Votes: 41 3.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Here's a picture of my mom back in the day.
338889_10151859844115012_1825366928_o.jpg

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
This is stupid and Discovery sinks to another low yet again. Just like the Phelps shark swim thing or the snake swallowing man.
idk if it's still on but in like 2017 i had the flu and was laying in front of the TV too weak to change the channel. Discovery or Animal Planet was on and they had this show playing called Monster Hunters............ this show.... this show was just 6 heavily armed, very overweight, bearded men playing make believe in the woods. they were basically playing tag with a rival group of monster hunters. This is what American cable TV has become.

Bulletzen

Oct 30, 2017
I remember watch that movie Backcountry a few years ago and the bear attack scene was rough!
Beware - the below clip is very gruesome and realistic

The movie itself was kind of meh, but fuck! I see a bear I would crap myself!

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Haha. I'm guessing my dad put her up to it. She claims she didn't know the bear was behind her/that close to her. I think this was taken in the Smoky Mountains, Tennessee.

I grew up about a mile out of the National Park in Gatlinburg. The bears there are pretty much harmless as long as you aren't a trash can. They're terrified of even moderately-sized dogs and wouldn't even try their luck on a house cat, much less a large mammal.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
4 pages and no gifs of Homer and his bear proof suit?

At least there is a link to Leo getting wrecked in The Revenant.

The only way to beat a bear is to befriend it like Grizzly Man, even though he's not with us anymore due to his namesake.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but what if the "human" was actually Superman just pretending to be human?

What about a polar bear versus an elephant?

The Rain King

Oct 27, 2017
If the man has a friend with him, and they've both trained extensively in martial arts + strength and conditioning, and the bear is on the smaller size, still the bear.

Nov 14, 2017
An unarmed or armoured human obviously doesn't stand a chance, not an interesting discussion. What about a peak modern athlete, given all the peptides and hormonal adjustments modern science has to offer, trained extensively in medieval melee combat, and outfitted with a suit of full plate and an assortment of melee weapons (some form of polearm, arming sword or mace, misericorde, etc)?

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I knew a guy whose son gave guided tours in Alaska. In the middle of a tour he got charged by a bear. Luckily for him, he always carried a gun. Unluckily for him, while he did manage to shoot it, it didn't give a fuck and ripped him up pretty good. One of the people with him had a gun also and did eventually shoot it enough to save him. If I remember right, he lost use of one of his arms and is either blind in an eye, or close to it.

But... yeah. It's hard for me to imagine someone winning a round of Mortal Kombat with a bear after hearing that story.

Yeah one of the most terrifying things about nature to me is the existence of some of these apex predators (bears/crocs/gators/some big cats/hippos/etc) that are big and tough enough to shrug off literal gunfire and still kill you.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, but what if the "human" was actually Superman just pretending to be human?
Then the bear wins by disqualification.

What about a polar bear versus an elephant?
In most settings they'd probably just ignore each other. Polar bears sometimes have trouble with larger walruses (which are still smaller than polar bears) so would be very unlikely to attack an elephant, plus any location for this would have to be very unusual for at least one of those animals. If they did fight, though, the polar bear would need to get very lucky to be able to damage an elephant enough to avoid getting absolutely destroyed.

What about a peak modern athlete, given all the peptides and hormonal adjustments modern science has to offer, trained extensively in medieval melee combat, and outfitted with a suit of full plate and an assortment of melee weapons (some form of polearm, arming sword or mace, misericorde, etc)?
The armoured, roided human with the pre-selected weapons (and there was a medieval weapon specifically for hunting bears) and the years of training would probably win most times. Most likely they'd have to suffer though some terrifying moments though. Even if the bear can't easily open up the armour (for most armour types, the bear might have a decent shot at doing exactly that), persistent attacks would make it difficult for the human to do anything.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Leonardo DiCaprio defeated a grizzly.....lol

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In most settings they'd probably just ignore each other. Polar bears sometimes have trouble with larger walruses (which are still smaller than polar bears) so would be very unlikely to attack an elephant, plus any location for this would have to be very unusual for at least one of those animals. If they did fight, though, the polar bear would need to get very lucky to be able to damage an elephant enough to avoid getting absolutely destroyed.
Elephant and it's not even close.

You're basically looking at tigers and hyenas as a minimum for hunting baby elephants. Nothing with the least bit of sense hunts full-sized elephants.

It could literally just sit on the bear and obliterate it.
Okay, you're right. How about elephant versus Triceratops?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Elephant and it's not even close.

You're basically looking at tigers and hyenas as a minimum for hunting baby elephants. Nothing with the least bit of sense hunts full-sized elephants.

It could literally just sit on the bear and obliterate it.
To be fair there's a lion pride or two that hunts elephants.

Except they do it in the dark when the elephants can't see shit and entire pride jumps an elephant (a smaller female normally) while they sleep and try to hold it down with their combined weight and tire it out.

Nov 14, 2017
The armoured, roided human with the pre-selected weapons (and there was a medieval weapon specifically for hunting bears) and the years of training would probably win most times. Most likely they'd have to suffer though some terrifying moments though. Even if the bear can't easily open up the armour (for most armour types, the bear might have a decent shot at doing exactly that), persistent attacks would make it difficult for the human to do anything.
This is the good stuff. When you say "open up", are we talking about the bear ragdolling the human and pulling things loose, or straight up opening up? I can't imagine they could penetrate plate. Something like a brigantine I could see being bypassed. If we say 15th century gear wins >5 times out of 10, how far back would we have to go for the bear to have the better odds?