• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which button should be "Accept"?

Votes: 4 0.2%
  • Bottom

Votes: 1,468 74.6%
  • Left

Votes: 24 1.2%
  • Right

Votes: 438 22.3%
  • Stick click

Votes: 34 1.7%

• Total voters

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Why are there so many people that think the bottom button, the *easiest* button to hit should be the Accept button, the button you don't want to *accidentally* hit?

Dec 30, 2020
Remember the Gamecube controller where the accept button was just this huge green A button, so big you could headbutt it to signify your confirmation?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I literally don't care which, but man do I wish both this and button naming / colors (especially for ABXY controllers) were standarized across consoles and regions. Who does it serve to have them all be completely different on each main console? In the end the only controller I instinctively know which button is which is PS because they're shapes instead of letters.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I literally don't care which, but man do I wish both this and button naming / colors (especially for ABXY controllers) were standarized across consoles and regions. Who does it serve to have them all be completely different on each main console? In the end the only controller I instinctively know which button is which is PS because they're shapes instead of letters.

I absolutely CANNOT do QTE's on switch for this reason. As a right->left reader it confuses me to no end that B and Y are to the LEFT of A and X

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It really isn't a diamond to your thumb. It's a square.

Qf5mxic_d.webp

Right should be advance and left should be back.

As for Sony, it was silly of SCEA to swap X and O. X is cancel across tons of cultures, including America.

OP
OP
jotun?

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
If you're going to be pedantic about it, it's a rhombus. A square has right angles and sides that are equal in length, and that button disposition has neither.
And if you're going to be pedantic, the sides of that shape are equal in length (which is one of the requirements for a rhombus)

Parallelogram -- pairs of sides are parallel
Rectangle -- parallelogram with all right angles
Rhombus -- parallelogram with sides equal length
Square -- rectangle + rhombus

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Bottom, 100% of the time.

It drives me fucking bonkers how many times I've screwed up places where it's right.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
A - Accept
B - Back
◯ - Affirmation, correct, OK (Circles are commonly viewed as being a symbol for positivity, perfection, connection, and divinity across many cultures world wide.)
- Refutation, wrong, NG (Similarly this symbol shares similar meanings across many cultures. It's used to portray death, poison, evil, in math it's the symbol of ambiguity or uncertainty. Wires are crossed, they are not connected.)

Especially in terms of why Sony chose those symbols they should conform to that placement as there is a greater chance that the symbolism would be understood world wide. Plus that placement feels better because when I hold a controller B, is on the bottom which when held flat is toward my back. If I am backing out of something I would go the opposite way I am facing.

Prior to a 4 button format it made sense for the Left button (B) to be Refutation and the right (A) to be Affirmation because most languages are read left to right. This means it is generally ingrained for most people that going left means going backwards and going right means going forwards. If you're in a menu and you wish to go forward with your decision, press A, (The right side button). Would you like to return to where you were? Press B to go back (The left side button). This means the Left side button for affirmation is still functionally sound and likely to be understood easier as the button that should progress you through a menu or confirm a decision. The bottom button takes back because of what I previously stated - but also because it is in the placement where historically the left side button resided. It is also easier to press as it's halfway between the opposite side button so takes less effort for something you do so often.

Besides, Xbox has more 's than ◯'s in it's name and therefore is more wrong than right so what ever it uses should not be considered as the standard.

Right side confirm, bottom deny is the metric of controllers. Bottom confirm, right deny is the imperial of controllers because it only makes sense to Americans.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
And if you're going to be pedantic, the sides of that shape are equal in length (which is one of the requirements for a rhombus)

Parallelogram -- pairs of sides are parallel
Rectangle -- parallelogram with all right angles
Rhombus -- parallelogram with sides equal length
Square -- rectangle + rhombus

Absolutely correct, I don't know how I recognized it as a rhombus while stating its sides aren't equal. :D

Edit: OK, glancing back at it, I realize how: it was the unequal diagonals that were screaming "irregular polygon" to me.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Somehow this makes sense to too many people here...

Code:
      <-
 ->

Also, for some reason Era does not allow spaces and tabulating to be used.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Just go old-school Gran Turismo and have both the bottom and right buttons be accept/forward, and both left and top buttons as back/cancel. : P
Real talk, both right and bottom are acceptable.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
People are coming into this poll with bias based on current conventions as did I. My preference is the Sony/MS convention vs Nintendo's convention. But taking a step back, it should be neither of those.

It really should be the left button for confirm and the bottom button for cancel.

If you pick up the controller and lay your thumb on the buttons, the tip of your thumb would rest on confirm, and the base of your thumb would rest on cancel. It really makes the most sense in terms of eliminating the need for lateral movement.

In action/platformers I usually map action to left and jump to bottom for the same reason.

Last edited: