• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Honestly, the only game I'm confident is making 2021, is Halo Infinite - and that's just because 343 themselves have said the game is basically in the polishing phase as of over a month ago, and because I suspect Microsoft already built-in a huge time cushion with the year delay, because they want it to be a fall game.

Everything else is a wildcard.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Fine with me, I've been eyeing my backlog for a while now. Hope any delays don't hurt the devs too much, though.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I can see halo mp coming out before the campaign. Can't see Microsoft just missing the anniversary. COD is probably the only certain thing.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I think games dated for June 2021 are *pretty* safe. Anything beyond that is a collective shrug. I have plenty to play regardless and indies are always releasing. I can wait a year for God of War 2.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Yes!
unfortunately thus is a sad true.
For people like me that doesn't have a backlog to play and are in home wanting something to enjoy, this is really bad!
I just wish that at least horizon can make you way in 2021.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I've got plenty to play so I'm not crushed, but I have an unhealthy desire for BOTW2 so that's the one that is going to hurt if/when it gets dated for sometime in 2022.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Yes!
unfortunately thus is a sad true.
For people like me that doesn't have a backlog to play and are in home wanting something to enjoy, this is really bad!
I just wish that at least horizon can make you way in 2021.

The secret is that everyone has a backlog.

Maybe not in the sense of games you already bought, but there's guaranteed a ton of games already out there you would love if you played them.

The biggest AAA stuff has the most marketing and as such sucks up a lot of the oxygen in the room but even when I had nothing else going on but games going on a couple of years ago I realized it's not really possible for one person to keep up with everything good.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not getting forbidden west this year, huh?
Maybe! If it was originally supposed to be, like, a Q1/H1 release, it could be delayed and still make it out in 2021.

But Sony's never really been one to rush out games for the holiday season. They seem to usually prefer leaving that for third parties. But all bets are off this year. I think if it's ready, they'll release it. But that's a big if.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This is good advice, though tbh I was surprised at how much stuff ended up making 2020. If you had told me in April that we'd be getting something like Age of Calamity and like five different marquee first-party Sony titles (TLOU Part 2, Ghosts, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Sackboy's Big Adventure) I wouldn't have believed you but they made the year end. I won't really care if more stuff gets delayed this year given I have a huge backlog but the game industry has been less affected than I expected so far, but maybe my expectations were just really low given how dire the world seemed.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
This is good advice, though tbh I was surprised at how much stuff ended up making 2020. If you had told me in April that we'd be getting something like Age of Calamity and like five different marquee first-party Sony titles (TLOU Part 2, Ghosts, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Sackboy's Big Adventure) I wouldn't have believed you but they made the year end. I won't really care if more stuff gets delayed this year given I have a huge backlog but the game industry has been less affected than I expected so far, but maybe my expectations were just really low given how dire the world seemed.
Basically everything Sony released in 2020 were at the tail of their dev cycle.
A game that's five years in development, going remote two months before it's out isn't going to drastically change its production.

A game that's launching in 18 months though? Yeah that remote work will affect it. Sony lucked out that many of their games were wrapping up development when they were. I'm assuming most of their planned 2021/2022 releases will end up getting delayed though.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, the only game I'm confident is making 2021, is Halo Infinite - and that's just because 343 themselves have said the game is basically in the polishing phase as of over a month ago, and because I suspect Microsoft already built-in a huge time cushion with the year delay, because they want it to be a fall game.

The polishing phase is including QA I think, and it's hit hard by Covid and a game like Halo Infinite likely requires a huge QA team, so I wouldn't take in polishing phase as a nearly done thing, but more like 1 last massive hurdle.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting Resident Evil: Village so i'm good.

Also:

- Returnal
- Ratchet & Clank
- Mass Effect Trilogy
- Deathloop
- FF7 Remake: Integrade
- Necromunda
- Little Devil inside
- Kena
- Far Cry 6 should be released sometime over the next months.

So there's enough for me at least.

But my backlog is big enough to sustain me for more than one year. If that would be needed.

Last edited:

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

Polishing phase of Cyberpunk was happening since the beginning of 2020 according to CDPR, and we all know how that ended, so I wouldn't be confident even about Halo.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Polishing phase of Cyberpunk was happening since the beginning of 2020 according to CDPR, and we all know how that ended, so I wouldn't be confident even about Halo.

In CP2077's case we can more or less conclude that was pretty much bollocks, based on how late it was reported they REALLY started development, and how the final release was straight up missing things. And CP2077's main problem seems to have been promising it for consoles that couldn't run it, then spending a ton of time trying to make that... not the case.

That's not to minimize problems for Halo - polishing is not some minor part of the process - but even the developer comments on the game and it's current state, reflect a product that is in the home stretch. And like I said, I suspect there was a certain cushion of time built into that one year delay, because Microsoft want it to be a fall release anyway

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Pokémon Snap fans right now:

giphy.gif

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is definitely going to be a backlog year I feel, the lack of firm dates in anything past the next couple of months seems telling in the circumstances

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
In CP2077's case we can more or less conclude that was pretty much bollocks, based on how late it was reported they REALLY started development, and how the final release was straight up missing things. And CP2077's main problem seems to have been promising it for consoles that couldn't run it, then spending a ton of time trying to make that... not the case.
I agree with you and that's exactly my point: you can never believe everything the developers of delayed games say: they'll never tell you "we are having trouble with gameplay or optimization and the game isn't actually content complete." They'll always claim that the game is basically done but they just need to do some polishing and tweaks, whether or not it's true.

Halo is a cross gen open-world title, just like Cyberpunk, and a multiplayer one, which presents its own challenges. It'll have the same problem of having to be optimized for a very weak console (Xbox One OG) while looking good enough. It's a very difficult task. I still think Halo will release this year, but I'm not as confident as you are.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I agree with you and that's exactly my point: you can never believe everything the developers of delayed games say: they'll never tell you "we are having trouble with gameplay or optimization and the game isn't actually content complete." They'll always claim that the game is basically done but they just need to do some polishing and tweaks, whether or not it's true.

Halo is a cross gen open-world title, just like Cyberpunk. It'll have the same problem of having to be optimized for a very weak console (Xbox One OG) while looking good enough. It's a very difficult task. I still think Halo will release this year, but I'm not as confident as you are.

That's fair enough.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Backlog year as have been said many times.

Many great games will come out this year, despite nothing being certain. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Resident Evil VIII, Returnal, Deathloop - pretty sure they are all coming out this year, so I don't see how it is a "backlog year".

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly quite excited for a backlog year. Got so many games to play that it'll be good to get to play a bunch of stuff I haven't got to yet instead of new games.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
This makes not having a gpu somewhat bearable. Gonna be a good year to catch up on my indies backlog.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
You mean to tell me that Dying Light 2 won't be releasing when they said it would?

I am shocked, I tell you

Embrodak

Oct 30, 2017
There's enough to play, so no problem. But we have been in this situation for over a year now, you would assume that studios have an idea about how covid impacts productivity? And adjust release dates?

Also curious why/how covid delays stuff. This might sound like a very dumb question, but in my working environment, productivity has gone up, not down. Is game development more dependent on live interaction? Or is it harder to force people to crunch/overtime when they WFH? I just assumed that game developers would some of the businesses that would adjust to WFH the easiest.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I'm getting Resident Evil: Village so i'm good.

Also:

- Returnal
- Ratchet & Clank
- Mass Effect Trilogy
- Deathloop
- FF7 Remake: Integrade
- Necromunda
- Little Devil inside
- Kena
- Far Cry 6 should be released sometime over the next months.

So there's enough for me at least.

But my backlog is big enough to sustain me for more than one year. If that would be needed.
Why would you cast the jinx on Little Devil Inside like that?

May 31, 2019
I guess you have no clue who he is?
I'm aware. If he - or other journalists or 'insiders' - don't like it when people take what they say and run with it (like happened yday witch Schrier's tweet about botw2 etc that he then walked back), then they could VERY EASILY put a caveat that something is conjecture; how hard is this shit?

journalist or insider says something ambiguous knowing full well that people will take it as a hint: people take it as a hint

journalist or insider: oh my GOD, dont make a MAGAZINE ARTICLE out of it. Also...*draws down full wisdom from the gods*...nothing is certain.

no shit. NOTHING is? In THIS climate?

Who coulda known. Hence my comment: cheers magic 8 ball that we need

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you cast the jinx on Little Devil Inside like that?

Deep inside i'm hoping that an indie studio is more capable at working from home and that they're able to stay somewhat on time.

Also the game is supposed to release during summer so a few weeks or even 2-3 months of delay wouldn't kick the game out to 2022.

But you're right. I should've just kept my mouth shut about them.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I laugh and cry at the same time for this statement. EA probably has a contractual obligation to release a new Madden every year and Call of Duty skipping a year would be worse than the Olympics being delayed (I joke but seriously the fans, shareholders, ect would kill someone). EA and Activation will probably sacrifice animals to make sure they get their games out this year.

Oh, they'll sacrifice something, but it won't be animals.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm aware. If he - or other journalists or 'insiders' - don't like it when people take what they say and run with it (like happened yday witch Schrier's tweet about botw2 etc that he then walked back), then they could VERY EASILY put a caveat that something is conjecture; how hard is this shit?

journalist or insider says something ambiguous knowing full well that people will take it as a hint: people take it as a hint

journalist or insider: oh my GOD, dont make a MAGAZINE ARTICLE out of it. Also...*draws down full wisdom from the gods*...nothing is certain.

no shit. NOTHING is? In THIS climate?

Who coulda known. Hence my comment: cheers magic 8 ball that we need
You seem upset.

By the way, Schreier and other journalists usually do note that things are subject to change and moreso than usual due to covid, and that generally just leads to posters with inexplicable axes to grind saying "oh, these so-called 'insiders' are just guessing"

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Deep inside i'm hoping that an indie studio is more capable at working from home and that they're able to stay somewhat on time.

Also the game is supposed to release during summer so a few weeks or even 2-3 months of delay wouldn't kick the game out to 2022.

But you're right. I should've just kept my mouth shut about them.
An indie studio is also sensitive to problems, I think. If in a team of four people one has a dependent relative and another has psychological problems due to covid, that is half the team.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
There's enough to play, so no problem. But we have been in this situation for over a year now, you would assume that studios have an idea about how covid impacts productivity? And adjust release dates?

Also curious why/how covid delays stuff. This might sound like a very dumb question, but in my working environment, productivity has gone up, not down. Is game development more dependent on live interaction? Or is it harder to force people to crunch/overtime when they WFH? I just assumed that game developers would some of the businesses that would adjust to WFH the easiest.

One complaint I've heard is they often find themselves having to download massive build changes with less than sufficient internet. In cases like that, there's no better way around it.