• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Well decently won't be enough when steam keeps growing quite fast each yearand Ubi doesn't keep getting cash from steam's growth. Despite ubi tauting their creativity as a priority, they're a pretty money hungry corp. They'll return to steam sooner or later.
Well, Ubi own platform is growing up as well. We'll see how things go, i think that at least for a while they will just stick to their platform.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, PC game is dead :D

Reminder Valve has revenue per employee that puts tech giants and banks to shame. It def does not come from selling only the games they make.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Well, Ubi own platform is growing up as well. We'll see how things go, i think that at least for a while they will just stick to their platform.
Assuming, and I'm just speculating, hear me out, in my opinion, if Epic stops paying Ubisoft to NOT release its games on Steam and 3rd party key sellers, and lets not forget, Ubisoft not only left Steam, they stopped selling its games everywhere except Uplay and EGS, They gladly would sell their games on Steam and 3rd party key sellers again.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in what'll happen to Chinese players when Steam China is 100% out. Will they lose access to "normal" Steam? If so this will be a huge HUGE detriment to PC devs in general, especially indies. Before Steamspy went to shit you could see that there were indie darlings where 50% of its sales came from China. Losing all these customers would be catastrophic

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Consoles will probably never crack the Chinese market for several reasons. How much of that is from China?

Redwing19

Oct 28, 2017
I know a few people who never touched a PC game but ended up using their laptop to sign up for Steam to play Jackbox games because of Covid. Lots of zoom game nights on the weekends.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the uncle/grandma memes.

But as someone who was one of the original public to sign up for Steam when it was back in beta with CS, like... almost 20 years ago, I'm amazed, amazed it's lasted this long and is as strong as ever.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It was someone at old place who would attribute Steam users records to his uncle installing steam and using auto login and that bloats number of users on Steam and thus not being records at all.

Oh, well as an almost 20 year member of steam let me be the first to tell you that my Mac auto-launches steam whenever I start up my computer and I have not played a computer game on any of my machines in like 11 years.

I AM AN UNCLE but not a grandma

that dude was RIGHT

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Oh, well as an almost 20 year member of steam let me be the first to tell you that my Mac auto-launches steam whenever I start up my computer and I have not played a computer game on any of my machines in like 11 years.

I AM AN UNCLE but not a grandma

that dude was RIGHT
So you installed Steam everytime you changed your PC despite not playing games with it

Weird.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
#1 question that's always asked about Steam and never about PSN or XBL, platforms where you're considered an active user if you watch Netflix twice a month (which does make sense, they're entertainment platforms not just game consoles... but nobody ever asks how Sony calculates their stats, really makes you 🤔)
Yeah, it says a lot about people who keep asking those questions. :p

It'd be more shocking if it wasn't, no?

Free client download, no monthly membership fee, and Steam is full of free to play games.
But EGS happened, and Ubisoft bailed out. I remember there were some "concern" conversations about Steam's situation back then.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm more interested in what'll happen to Chinese players when Steam China is 100% out. Will they lose access to "normal" Steam? If so this will be a huge HUGE detriment to PC devs in general, especially indies. Before Steamspy went to shit you could see that there were indie darlings where 50% of its sales came from China. Losing all these customers would be catastrophic
That's very much the known unknown surrounding Steam China, whether the Chinese government deem it a good enough excuse to block off regular Steam. Valve has said that they have no intentions of blocking off China from regular Steam on their end, but it's very much not their decision to make.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
So you installed Steam everytime you changed your PC despite not playing games with it

Weird.

I was clearly kidding, but yeah, pretty much. I've got it installed even though I haven't seriously played a game on a computer in 10 years. I've only changed my computer twice since 2010 though.

Every once in a while I launch steam for mac and see the same games that were featured in like 2013 and then close the app.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
The lead often goes back and forth between PSN and Steam. PSN's growth is currently held back by limited PS5 availability. Will be interesting to see how things fare in 2021.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
I find this totally unsurprising. Even setting aside the tens of millions of Chinese players, I know plenty of people who barely play games and have steam and sometimes use it. Like tons of college students with laptops and no consoles. I would have been totally shocked if Steam wasn't bigger.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I find this totally unsurprising. Even setting aside the tens of millions of Chinese players, I know plenty of people who barely play games and have steam and sometimes use it. Like tons of college students with laptops and no consoles. I would have been totally shocked if Steam wasn't bigger.

Do you know of any people that frequently play games on Steam?

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No wonder Sony is getting involved with Steam.

1471256782-clarkson-being-a-smug-twat.gif

It is exactly that, as it's constantly brought up.

When did you have a shave?!

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
It's big, but to put it in context, there are a few games pulling similar numbers by themselves.

Even without Steam, PC gaming dwarfs consoles. I don't understand how people are acting like it's close.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I was clearly kidding, but yeah, pretty much. I've got it installed even though I haven't seriously played a game on a computer in 10 years. I've only changed my computer twice since 2010 though.

Every once in a while I launch steam for mac and see the same games that were featured in like 2013 and then close the app.

then you would not be counted in the MAU numbers as you are not an active user, simply a prankster uncle

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tomorrow's prankster uncles are savvier. They're going to be playing all your games via remote play while you're busy at school or work. All bets are off after that

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
No friends that do the bulk of their multiplatform gaming on PC?
I don't have that many friends that play a ton of games to begin with like I don't actually know anyone with a "good" PC. Most of the people who I know who have Steam use it fairly casually and don't own any (modern) consoles except for a few Switches. The number of people with a recent normal console is also really low since most people I know who used to own them dropped gaming after high school. Not claiming that my friends are a good representative sample but that is my experience.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have that many friends that play a ton of games to begin with like I don't actually know anyone with a "good" PC. Most of the people who I know who have Steam use it fairly casually and don't own any (modern) consoles except for a few Switches. The number of people with a recent normal console is also really low since most people I know who used to own them dropped gaming after high school. Not claiming that my friends are a good representative sample but that is my experience.

Cool, thanks for answering, I was curious about the type of gaming environment you were in.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Steam is still the juggernaut.

When you've got a good amount of the hottest games of the year on your platform (Hades, Among Us, Alyx, Fall Guys, Cyberpunk, Flight Sim, Doom Eternal, etc) alongside those Steam evergreen titles, you're gonna attract the players.
Persona 4 is all I've been playing on steam for like 5 months now lol. It's just got so much of everything and it's compatibility and accessibility options are still unparalleled with other competitors not even bothering to try to compete in that front.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It's big, but to put it in context, there are a few games pulling similar numbers by themselves.

Even without Steam, PC gaming dwarfs consoles. I don't understand how people are acting like it's close.
Yeah I'm surprised no one mentioned this. Pretty sure stuff like LoL and Crossfire(that almost no one knew about in the west) dwarfed consoles for years.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this because more people are WFH? Not to mention parents are buying laptops/desktops for their kids for online learning? Covid really boost the amount of PC users.

Jun 20, 2018
This is very interesting stuff. Among my online friends, everyone has a PC, but in the real world, the only people I know who game on PCs (or even have PCs) are my cousin's kid and a co-workers kid, both around 10 years old.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It is exactly that, as it's constantly brought up.
As someone who couldn't give less of a fuck about platform sparring, how is it calculated for Steam and MAU?

The way companies calculate it can differ significantly from just being signed in to interacting directly with elements, so it's interesting to know. It doesn't change the fact that PC Gaming is obviously a juggernaut, which was never really under any doubt in my mind lol. Steam has been pretty open about stats, just unsure if that's come with any open documentation on the specifics.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
2020 is kind of the year I dropped out of pc gaming because home working made me want to avoid computers, but given the amount of cheap stuff on steam that scales from low end to high end machines I don't think this is shocking.