• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Sony's getting desperate. Ms is doing something right.
In as much as Microsoft has changed a lot from the Don Mattrick, Terry Myerson days, the truth is that this is the start of a new generation and as such you have a reset when it comes to sales. Everyone is at zero.

Plus there is a danger that if Lockhart exists and is competitively priced, that it could eat into some of the PlayStation sales. So, yes, Microsoft is doing something right, but it is also an extension of what Sony has done this generation with great success. Not to mention that PlayStation is a far bigger deal to Sony than it has been in previous generations.

Oct 26, 2017
They couldn't throw out the Midi music and speed up combat without the help of Nintendo? Good grief
If you genuinely think they were gonna add in those improvements later on without the Switch release, I don't know what to tell you. A lot of that stuff could've been handled by them without XIS needing to be a thing and yet they still didn't do it

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
But that's my point. They're gonna have to counter if Sony is out there buying up timed exclusivity to some of these bigger games and MS has a lot more money to spend than Sony.

It doesn't end well regardless of which platform you're playing on.

That's the issue here, MS doesn't really want to spend that money, when they totally should.

They have trillions, why not subsidize the Series X and release it at $399?? That extra 100$ would only cost them $2B on the first 20M console sold, and by then the costs would have gone down and you would be the market leader, just like in the 360 era.

It would also remove the need of rhe Lockhar, would have saved money on R&D, marketing, etc

If you are so rich, just release a more powerful console than the PS5, $100 cheaper, and for a meager extra $2-4B you win the generation.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm being unfair in saying that Sony has a much stronger fanbase that'll defend them than Microsoft does on Era. I didn't specifically look at what each user said in those threads relative to this one but the tone is definitely different

I don't see it. There's a lot of people angry about this. Look at how mad people are in the 50+ page Spider-Man thread.

The tone doesn't seem any different to Tomb Raider. Bunch of people are happy or don't care. A lot more are angry.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
That's the issue here, MS doesn't really want to spend that money, when they totally should.

They have trillions, why not subsidize the Series X and release it at $399?? That extra 100$ would only cost them $2B on the first 20M console sold, and by then the costs would have gone down and you would be the market leader, just like in the 360 era.

It would also remove the need of rhe Lockhar, would have saved money on R&D, marketing, etc

If you are so rich, just release a more powerful console than the PS5, $100 cheaper, and for a meager extra $2-4B you win the generation.
LOL!!!!! Never change.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Guessing Silent Hill, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter and Monster Hunter

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of spending tons of money on shitty deals like this they should invest in a GamePass service of their own. That would actually benefit consumers and justify their #4theplayers tagline.

Locking away content in multiplats serves noone but Sony themselves.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see it. There's a lot of people angry about this. Look at how mad people are in the 50+ page Spider-Man thread.

The tone doesn't seem any different to Tomb Raider. Bunch of people are happy or don't care. A lot more are angry.
Oh there's definitely people angry and criticizing this, won't pretend otherwise, but there's also more of a defense force for this relative to what something like Tomb Raider had

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is just something we will have to get used to. They (MS and Sony) are both at it. Wether it's Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Yakuza....whatever, it's just something which we will have to live with.

As for these rumours around timed exclusives I don't think we are looking at anything like GTA, COD etc. But as others have mentioned FF16 wouldn't be a huge surprise.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
And don't start with it isn't prob consumer bs....there is no such thing
If you look at a situation overall you can always tell if it's advantageous to the consummers at large or not. You don't need to make up stories to understand if a situation is pro-consumers or anti-consumers, it's just a measure of which side the operation favors, in term of choice, spending, quality.
You can argue at which scale it affects the consumer (if it's unfair practice and require the intervention of consumer protection, or if it's small practices that just dissolve trust in one seller),
but you can't berate consumers for defending their own interests.

Ex Libris

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Somehow we are back to Microsoft's warchest all over again.

Honestly for $2 billion dollars, I rather they spend that expanding their first parties (which they are) and acquiring new studios (Would ya look at that).

The best thing Xbox has been doing lately is acquiring studios. Honestly the price isnt what is gonna get me to switch from Playstation

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Check out the PS OT. Popcorn and champagne glasses clinking all over the show. They love it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is this "MS saved the studio" stuff the new meta? Double Fine made games for 20 years. It wasn't always as financially secure as right now but they made it. Tim Schafer said for years he wanted to stay independent. Ninja Theory had their big independent moment with the big success of Hellblade. They didn't need saving after landing a big hit. Surely they appreciate the financial safety under ms but that doesn't mean they were going bust without their savior.
A developer not needing saving doesn't mean they don't want (or need) security. Independent developers have to secure funding by pitching their games to publishers. This can be a time consuming process that can result in no deals being made. Employees still need to be paid in between projects. For a company like Double Fine that's located in San Francisco, the cost of paying their employees isn't going to be cheap.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they announce how long the timed exclusivity is and don't try to be sneaky about it like RotR, I don't really give a fuck. Last time I was annoyed by moneyhat was when RE4 was GC exclusive. Not because it was exclusive, but 2 months after I bought GC for it they announced a PS2 port. In hindsight I was really glad I got GC, but yeah at that time I was annoyed af.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
User Banned (3 days): Hostility, console wars
Instead of spending tons of money on shitty deals like this they should invest in a GamePass service of their own. That would actually benefit consumers and justify their #4theplayers tagline.

Do you even read what you type? Seriously?
Unlike MS exclusives, Sony ones sell, so gamepass service with day one exclusives is out of the question. Also I prefer Sony's approach, you know having actual quality games to play then a sub service with no real exclusives.
Your last sentence is the most stupid thing I've read today and will even not bother to comment.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
These companies are competing for your money and are not your friends. Content will always be king and if one platform has the content they get my money it's that simple. This is nothing new in the game industry and many other mediums.

Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like people think Phil Spencer walks into a boardroom every month with the MS execs and pulls about a flipchart with 3 points on it;

Priorities
1. Own the Ponies on Era
2. Get Gamepass everywhere and anywhere

3 Maybe make some money

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This shit is not gonna end well. MS and Sony just moneyhatting one after another. This shit needs to stop.
No lies detected. I was very excited for this gen, because of the powerful consoles we are getting. But that extrem moneyhatting is just sad, even though it's just a rumor for now.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
MS doesnt seem to be doing nearly the same thing (mostly small games centered around gamepass).
You say that but I would consider buying up a long list of developers in recent years to be much worse from the viewpoint of multi-platform 'lets-make-games-available-to-one-and-all' than making a couple of choice games only available on a single platform for a couple of months.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017

Would that actually be good for anyone?

Big third party games wouldn't then just be competing with a huge library of free games on the XBox, but also on the PlayStation. Lots of multiplats are already being locked away on GamePass as timed exclusives, why would a similar Sony service make that stop? We could just move from console wars to pass wars.

We've still not really seen the longterm effect of GamePass yet, would like to at least see that model run for a while before everyone starts copying it.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
If you genuinely think they were gonna add in those improvements later on without the Switch release, I don't know what to tell you. A lot of that stuff could've been handled by them without XIS needing to be a thing and yet they still didn't do it
Exhibit: B

Timeout. What are you doing fam? This isn't morrowind on OG Xbox and QOL updates aren't a herculean task. This is the game square begged the west to buy. You don't think they'd have the incentive to update their game for the sake of prosperity heading in to a digital age or for the betterment of their established customers without a Nintendo moneyhat? Really?

Well thank god for Nintendo then. Looking at the current state of multiplatform XIS, it really seems to have worked out for the best.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Somehow we are back to Microsoft's warchest all over again.

Honestly for $2 billion dollars, I rather they spend that expanding their first parties (which they are) and acquiring new studios (Would ya look at that).

The best thing Xbox has been doing lately is acquiring studios. Honestly the price isnt what is gonna get me to switch from Playstation

Yes, my point is that they DON'T have a warchest, and the proof is in the pudding...

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sony would lose so much money on a Game Pass service it's not even funny.

MS can weather it because they make money mostly elsewhere but gaming is too big for Sony to go the Game Pass route.

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda Funny behind the scenes: "Yo Imran, can you mention 1 phrase about PS5 in each podcast going forward, so that it's shared every week? Don't worry you can be vague and we won't ask a lot of questions. Don't forget to do it for every podcast, thanks"

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Guess i'm the only person on Era who has no problems with this

I'm ready for exclusive:

SF6
From Software Next
Sega Rally 4
Virtua Fighter 6
Splinter Cell Next
Ninja gaiden 4
Auto modelista 2

🙃

plow

Oct 28, 2017

As they where when the PS2 launched and that entire Generation. So desperate, that they sold 150 Million consoles.

This is not Sony being desperate. This is Sony knowing they have power and they can leverage such a move with "low" effort.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
didnt a really old "leak" which got several things right claim that gta 6 will have timed exclusivity?
wouldnt surprise me at this point
If I remember correctly the leak claimed that GTA 6 would be a launch/launch window title for the PS5, which pretty much put the final nail on the coffin for the whole rumor.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Can you imagine an alternate reality where we have a singular gaming hardware, and games are all on that one system? This is the future that some people clamor for.

I agree that there may be better ways to spend money that is paid to get this exclusive content, like making more exclusive titles. Guess what, that is a far harder venture than simply buying some timed exclusivity for what is an established title. A company wants to get more sales, and anything that accomplishes that, especially a strategy with a proven track record is one to be adhered to.

I have been gaming for close to three decades, and having to choose one system over another has been a thing that entire time. I have gone through the Nintendo cartridge age where they exercised their dominance, I have been through the Sony PS1/PS2 generations where they kept content from other platforms for some time, I have been through the 360 generation where Microsoft launched early and then started buying timed exclusive DLC. I have seen Sony do it to the biggest titles this generation and more than any player out there. It works, it is not changing.

As a consumer, you get to choose what platform it is you want to game on, this is not being taken away from you.

I started gaming at the age of six, in 1985, on an Atari 800XL before moving on to an Amstrad CPC and Nintendo Gameboy. "It has always been like this" is a phrase that may be true but it doesn't contain an argument for why it should keep being like this. Progress in every field of human life is made by changing things that were always like this. You have also not made an argument for why the customer should care about what these corporations want.

The noise made on this forum is minuscule compared to the amount of dollars that keep supporting this habit. The caveats that this forum would want to put out there when in comes to studio purchases would mean that no single publisher would ever grow apart from starting up new studios.

If the noise is miniscule there people who share your opinion don't need to bother with trying to stop it, it will go away. If the noise isn't miniscule and it bothers these corporations then it is achieving its goal.

Yes. These companies have an obligation to do what is right for their business and their shareholders; this is the sole reason they are in existence. For any consumer to come in and state that they should stop this so that you can enjoy the games on the platform you like, when you like.

If you own a business, or invested in one, or even worked for one, the obligation at the end of the day is to try and make it as successful as possible because your money, or labor is guaranteed a better return. Why should this be different when it comes to companies in gaming? Simples, gamers are entitled and they w

The counter-argument is simple: Why should I care about the better returns of a corporation and not my own? Why should it be more important to me that the shareholders of a corporation make more money instead of me not having to pay for multiple consoles in order to play the games that I want?

Status
Not open for further replies.