• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
bunch of indie games launch(ed) as timed exclusives, can't remember a big title.

I remember when Nintendo had everyone in their basket during the 16 bit Era and Capcom And Konami starting to make games for Sega which upset so many Nintendo fans.

Then the PSX launched with Final Fantasy VII for the first time not on Nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't recalled this big of an outrage when MS has 50 launched console exclusive when they announced it last month but when Sony does it, it's a different story. This is a business decision to secured their place next gen, they are large corporation who has to answer to their stakeholders. Given the opportunity MS and Nintendo would do the same. There is no point rooting for any of these individual large corporation, their sole purpose of existence is to maximize the profitability for their shareholders.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Shinobi said it wasn't the Mass Effect Trilogy remaster. A new Mass Effect title wasn't discussed. And we know they intend to go back to the series.
Sure, but a new Mass Effect is a long ways off. Dragon Age 4 won't be launching until after April 2022. I'd imagine Mass Effect would be 2024-25 at the earliest (Hope I'm wrong on that though...). BioWare is probably still prototyping what a new Mass Effect would be.

I could be completely off base here, but I think the games Imran and others are referring to are more in the (relative) short term.

Just what the general hints been at what these 3rd party games could be? Not asking about any particular insider.
Gotcha. Here's an early quote from Imran regarding this:
Sony has been writing checks all over town. There's some timed exclusive pick-ups that seem designed just to pull titles Microsoft used to brag about having in their presentations and associate them with PlayStation instead.

Given Sony and Bethesda's new relationship, I actually think it could be Starfield -- perhaps with a short timed exclusive period.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much nails it. Both companies are clearly going to do this, and I have no problem with it at the A or AA level. You're helping smaller teams fund their games safely, ensuring their solvency. But for people to pretend Sony isn't pursuing this much more aggressively at a AAA level (Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Ghostwire, Deathloop, Destiny content, Spiderman content, who knows what else) is sort of laughable.

Bloober Team getting some support money isn't the same as locking out Destiny content or something of that scale. Clearly, MS will probably have to counter this strategy at the AAA level if Sony shows no signs of slowing down.

It is what it is. Phil said that he's not a fan of locking exclusive content in multiplatform games and that timed exclusivity agreements like Rise of the Tomb Raider weren't something they wanted to build a future on, because it's a sour way to appeal to potential customers. Meanwhile, Sony's trying to fight off the threat of Game Pass; opening the wallet for a bunch of exclusionary deals is a hail mary that has historically worked for them as casuals don't care and their fans seem to like it.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's this guy's track record with rumors? Is he a reporter or some type of industry insider?

Can only see Sony maybe securing some AAA Japanese games anything outside of that is doubtful.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It is what it is. Phil said that he's not a fan of locking exclusive content in multiplatform games and that timed exclusivity agreements like Rise of the Tomb Raider weren't something they wanted to build a future on, because it's a sour way to appeal to potential customers. Meanwhile, Sony's trying to fight off the threat of Game Pass; opening the wallet for a bunch of exclusionary deals is a hail mary that has historically worked for them as casuals don't care and their fans seem to like it.

We have insider like matt saying they looking for deals just that some of them to expensive and MS not willing to pay .
The fact that you think Phil will turn down these deals if he had the chance to get them really show buy into that PR nonsense.
Phil said he not a fan but lock down PUBG one of the biggest games ever as a time exclusive but they need help don't fly when making million upon millions.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
lol

"I don't like timed exclusives but we might do them with nice intentions"

And really, a hail mary means a long shot of getting the win. That narrative doesn't really seem to apply to the current situation.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
While everybody fights each other in this thread, I will take a guess that it's The Crew 3.

It will be similar the Xbox Tomb Raider scenario.

Sony had Uncharted... Microsoft was like hey Laura, we'll give you your own show!

But this time Xbox owners won't care, because they have Forza Horizon.. and some of their fan base shits on The Crew series anyway, so nothing changes.

But it makes you wonder, if the studio only has to worry about one console for now.... how the game could turn out, or be different from the previous editions.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Trying to lock out content out of the competitor's console has been a thing ever since I was a child. It is just what happens in gaming. You spend money to get content, that locks in sales and you make royalties off other sales that may come from that consumer. It might piss people off, but this is business, and business in its nature is not an emotional construct, although that is something that a corporation will leverage.

Always say that these companies need to do what they think makes them competitive. Sony is simply leveraging a stronger position and is trying to ensure that that position of strength in what is a key business is maintained.

Microsoft can do whatever they think is right for their business too.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
agent.jpg

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hate that deathloop is playstation exclusive? Have they said how long? A year, a few months? I want to play it but id rather buy it for series x.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
If Phil could afford, or was even at the table for, these deals, he'd be doing them in one way or another.

Sony are executing a strategy based around switching dev to pS5 3 years ago, and not spending on co-marketing and other deals in 18/19 (remember MS E3 in 2019 and all the marketing deals on display) so they have the launch year locked down by providing an alternative variation on 'value' - you can get lots of stuff first or only on PS5.

MS have spent the last few years developing & growing a service (GP), introducing lots of value-add stuff on the Xbox platform (BC initiative, no-hassle refunds on digital games), spending on co-marketing deals, and buying studios to feed said GP service, the pipeline for which is still a WiP.

Different approaches, different outcomes.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
MS could, the Xbox division can't. They've never had access to the fabled MS war chest.
This is evidently false. Xbox became a thing using Microsoft funds. The gaming unit then went an entire generation making absolutely nothing but losses. They then followed this with their best generation, but guess what, it was making losses those first few years, had RRoD and yet they spent crazy getting content in from exclusives, timed exclusives and exclusive DLC.

At the end of the day, it is about what is going to bring about the best return on investment. At current moment, Microsoft thinks that the future is going to be gaming across as many devices as can access the internet, thus Game Pass. The faster that platform grows, the more investment you are likely to see.

felixdat

Alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2020
This. MS has put themselves in a hole. If they want to get a big 3rd party AAA exclusive, it has to come to GamePass because that's how they're doing their business now. There's no way a big 3rd party AAA publisher puts their game on GamePass day 1, let alone an exclusive game. I mean, look at what CDPR said about Cyberpunk coming to GamePass. A lot of day 1 GamePass games are indies and AA.

Yeh only AAA games will be from their own teams or ones that are old. As if new AAA games will come day 1 to gamepass (I wish it did)

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Maybe the new bioshock, hopefully it doesn't take longer than a year.
Personally, I preffer they to make gamepass better rather than allowing me buy for a game earlier.

Last edited:

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
If Phil could afford, or was even at the table for, these deals, he'd be doing them in one way or another.

Sony are executing a strategy based around switching dev to pS5 3 years ago, and not spending on co-marketing and other deals in 18/19 (remember MS E3 in 2019 and all the marketing deals on display) so they have the launch year locked down by providing an alternative variation on 'value' - you can get lots of stuff first or only on PS5.

MS have spent the last few years developing & growing a service (GP), introducing lots of value-add stuff on the Xbox platform (BC initiative, no-hassle refunds on digital games), spending on co-marketing deals, and buying studios to feed said GP service, the pipeline for which is still a WiP.

Different approaches, different outcomes.
Probably one of the best ways to explain what is going on.

This isn't a "Sony only" thing folks. Its been done before and it will keep happening. To me its just that people are upset their team is not the one paying for exclusive time frames (editor's note: they are just not at fierce) so they feel left out. Understandable but MS is executing their own strategy. When they come back eventually with their own big exclusive gets, let's hope we bring all these threads up and center on the OP for reference.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I hope people will be outraged as much as they were with Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Spoiler: they won't.

When the majority of players play on the console an exclusive is launching on..................they are not going to complain. It sucks........but most will already own the console anyways. I think its the reason why you see such a difference in responses for the two companies. Sony has an absurd playerbase and brand loyalty that xbox just doesn't seem to have yet. Sure they have some loyal customers but it mostly exists in only two areas of the world. The States and what...the UK? I mean they built up so much from the 360 days to trashing it in 6 years with the xbox one that fast.

Next generation to me is going to be intersting as a person who owns all consoles eventually. I'm curious to see just how badly Sony is willing to blow/open their wallet while Microsoft goes all in on consumerism and game pass.

SpillRune

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Whenever a company is the market leader, you always feel they can do no wrong. Until they become too big for their own good, and the greed backfires. If this is the strategy to make PS5 stand out from XSX, the coming months will be a PR nightmare.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Whenever a company is the market leader, you always feel they can do no wrong. Until they become too big for their own good, and the greed backfires. If this is the strategy to make PS5 stand out from XSX, the coming months will be a PR nightmare.
No it won't. The Playstation fans will eat it up and Xbox and PC players will grumble for a bit and either forget about it or buy PS5s like Sony wants. Same as always.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
Microsoft spent billions on Minecraft. They're possibly going to spend billions more on WB and TikTok. They could out bid Sony on an exclusive deal if they wanted to. It's just a business decision and I don't blame either company for doing what they think is best.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
If it was GTA 6 I'd be impressed.

GTA V made Rockstar 800m in 24 hours and 1 billion in 72 hours after launch way back in 2013. Sony will need a lotta lettuce to convince Rockstar.

We have insider like matt saying they looking for deals just that some of them to expensive and MS not willing to pay .
The fact that you think Phil will turn down these deals if he had the chance to get them really show buy into that PR nonsense.
Phil said he not a fan but lock down PUBG one of the biggest games ever as a time exclusive but they need help don't fly when making million upon millions.
Don't forget Yakuza 7, some people aren't even trying

Dead Rising 5, or Dead Re-rising. Gonna steal that ol' stalwart from Microsoft.

Dead Rising is pretty much dead

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
User Warned - Platform Warring
Probably one of the best ways to explain what is going on.

This isn't a "Sony only" thing folks. Its been done before and it will keep happening. To me its just that people are upset their team is not the one paying for exclusive time frames (editor's note: they are just not at fierce) so they feel left out. Understandable but MS is executing their own strategy. When they come back eventually with their own big exclusive gets, let's hope we bring all these threads up and center on the OP for reference.

Except one of these companies has been focusing hard and is on a string of great consumer friendly things even beyond the video game world.

And one of them made a vagina shaped box and hates crossplay

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I think the reason why Sony is still really aggressive with third-party exclusive deals because they're pretty much the only console manufacturer playing by the old rules. Nintendo is also kinda doing it but they're not really catering solely to the hardcore gaming crowd, whereas Sony is. Microsoft is also shifting strategy to appeal to as many people as possible with the value of Game Pass and diversity of games. There isn't a tug of war with third-party deals anymore, as it's mainly Sony tugging the rope, which is fiscally great for them as it swings public interest towards the PS5. So yeah, don't expect this to change anytime soon lol. It sucks, but it's business. Competition can be nasty at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.