• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's only AAA which I care very little about, but those deals war are very surprising, Sony found a way to making sure the PS5 will be a big success.

Deleted member 60989

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Fuck third-party exclusivities. Still waiting for the PC release of FF7R, Square, not going to purchase it on PS4. And if I was able to wait so long already, why not wait for it to be $15 on Steam too? I don't plan to buy a PS5 soon, so your loss.

Last edited:

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
But that's my point. They're gonna have to counter if Sony is out there buying up timed exclusivity to some of these bigger games and MS has a lot more money to spend than Sony. It's one thing to do this shit with indies, but AAA games that have a history of being multiplatform is an entirely different story.

It doesn't end well regardless of which platform you're playing on.
MS has more money than Sony, but maybe the Xbox branch doesn't have more money than the PS branch.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They better be supremely confident in their pricing and are somehow able to convince these developers that the pricing is fair--especially during a pandemic. I cannot imagine how people will react if the PS5 is $500-$600 USD and they've secured a bunch of exclusives in some fashion.

At 500 it will sell out and be a massive hit, especially with exclusives.

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly, what the fuck do you even do if your competitor is this cut-throat

Compete, like they did in the 360 days. When MS couldn't compete on first party they locked down third parties.

There's nothing to stop Microsoft doing this, and they already have deals sorted as we saw in the July showcase, where there were plenty of timed/console exclusives from third parties on show.

Microsoft needs to sort out their software offering for the first year or two fairly promptly.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
No one benefits from this.

Sony benefits from it. Their platform looks more enticing. The more people who go to it, the more content they can secure just for their users, so the users end up benefiting from it. Their competitors don't benefit from it but if it works for Sony and their users, then there is little incentive for them to care.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
No way in hell its GTA6. There isn't a money hatting check that is more valuable than having mtx consumers on any platform imaginable.

I'm 100% convinced it will be a popular Japanese developer, not sure which one, but it just makes the most sense.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Sony's reliance on PlayStation as a brand to keep the company profitable and alive has turned them into juggernauts when it comes to spending, while Microsoft can outspend nearly any company at any time if they wanted to I'd imagine it's much easier for playstation to "bully" the money out of Sony Corp then it is for Xbox to do the same with Microsoft since it's a really small piece of the pie for them. Nintendo doesn't have to worry about this because their third party support has their own issues but this has got to be rough for Spencer and the Xbox team. Sony without PlayStation can't survive while Xbox could go and Microsoft would barely notice.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I wonder how much money Square Enix made from Athia, FF7 and Avengers deals with Sony.

$100 million? More? Less?

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After 15, I'm surprised FF is a series still worth moneyhatting to Sony. The series barring 14 has been completely middling for nearly 2 generations now.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Based on his previous comments the deals seem to be for 2021 titles, so definitely not GTA 6(lol). I guess maybe Starfield since he's hinted the devs are normally associated with MS in the past but that would be pretty shocking.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
In line with what my friend told me.
Upsets incoming, but Sony will gain massively in casual eyes.

Oct 28, 2017
FF16 is pretty much certain. GTA is less likely but would be a huge blow to the competition. CoD ain't happening lol.

RE8 maybe? Sony and Capcom have a very strong relationship.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably will come to other consoles after six months or a year.
Good practice to create a more desirable console and locking down content seems inline with industry trends.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
But that's my point. They're gonna have to counter if Sony is out there buying up timed exclusivity to some of these bigger games and MS has a lot more money to spend than Sony. It's one thing to do this shit with indies, but AAA games that have a history of being multiplatform is an entirely different story.

It doesn't end well regardless of which platform you're playing on.

MS have a lot more money than Sony but there games division does not and it cost MS more for these deals .
So they have to spend more than Sony for the same thing .

Status
Not open for further replies.