• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The movie is at 37% on RT. This isnt a case of "fanboys being angry it doesnt go how they want" or whatever. Its genuinely bad / stupid to most people

I mean if you think
killing off the entire main cast because of some stupid secret society you arent even aware exists until the last 1/3 of the movie is good story telling I'm not sure what to tell you. People have not been waiting a decade for this film to see the entire cast fucked over like that

The entire thing reeks of M Night doing his typical forcing of a "Twist" to be so "different" instead of simply focusing first and foremost on making a good movie

Or see the movie and make up your own mind. I can't damn a movie I haven't seen yet. Relax people.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the spoilers, it doesn't really sound like a twist. It's just... a bad story.

From people that have seen it M Night treats it like a big twist

The first 2/3 of the movie you have no idea that's what is going on and when its presented in the film its treated like this big revelation

It's a Twsit, and stupid at the same time

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yo, how about y'all chill out and actually see the movie before making judgements. Reading spoilers from a movie is one thing, seeing how those story beats are executed on screen is another.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
split was just decent to me, and the twist was actually kinda clunkily handled, even if it was effective simply because i've been an Unbreakable mark.

m. night just doesn't have much of an ear for good dialogue.

His dialog is traditionally the worst part of his films. It's very self aware and congratulatory... and frequently under directed.

It's "clever" writing for dummies, basically.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone complaining about the spoilers just makes me want to watch it even more.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
The review reaction (non spoiler ones, I am trying to be careful) sound like the 2nd half is a wreck and the twist is polarizing. That actually makes me want to witness the wreck in theater.

edit: let me clarify, what makes it double funny to me is that James Macarvoy acts his tits off in bad movies.

Nov 1, 2017
Every goddamn review thread where the reviews are negative always turns into "actually the bad reviews make me MORE confident that this will be good". Like fuckin clockwork.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Please, no spoilers as to what the ending actually is, but generally speaking, is it a "I really don't like this choice but it doesn't contradict the logic of the movie world" or is it a "this is just ridicuously illogical" type of ending? For example, there are some movies where the killer is revealed to be someone at the end, but then if you rewatch it you see that that doesn't make sense based on what the character knows and does (that would be the illogical kind.)

Oct 30, 2017
User warned: inappropriate joke
Please, no spoilers as to what the ending actually is, but generally speaking, is it a "I really don't like this choice but it doesn't contradict the logic of the movie world" or is it a "this is just ridicuously illogical" type of ending? For example, there are some movies where the killer is revealed to be someone at the end, but then if you rewatch it you see that that doesn't make sense based on what the character knows and does (that would be the illogical kind.)
Neither. It seems to be more of a "that's it?" twist and ending than anything else. Mundane, old-hat Shamalamadingdong gotchas. Also I have heard that there is a lot of breaks in logic during the third act. It's not just the ending.

Oct 25, 2017
The movie is at 37% on RT. This isnt a case of "fanboys being angry it doesnt go how they want" or whatever. Its genuinely bad / stupid to most people

I mean if you think
killing off the entire main cast because of some stupid secret society you arent even aware exists until the last 1/3 of the movie is good story telling I'm not sure what to tell you. People have not been waiting a decade for this film to see the entire cast fucked over like that

The entire thing reeks of M Night doing his typical forcing of a "Twist" to be so "different" instead of simply focusing first and foremost on making a good movie
People have not been waiting for this for a decade.

Neither. It seems to be more of a "that's it?" twist than anything else. Mundane, old-hat Shamalamadingdong gotchas
We get it, he's Indian and you think he makes dumb choices. That joke is played and racist and it's been like 15 years.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, how about y'all chill out and actually see the movie before making judgements. Reading spoilers from a movie is one thing, seeing how those story beats are executed on screen is another.
because of these reviews and spoilers, i'm not going to pay $17 or whatever to see this movie

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
:(

I was pretty hyped for this. Unbreakable and Split were both great. There was a lot of buzz after The Visit and Split that Shyam had found his wheelhouse again freed from corporate expectations. I'm hoping I still like it, but it's good to go in with tempered expectations.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, we should have seen this coming. Split is a decent film, but it's not on the same plane of existence as Unbreakable. The latter is pure cinema. The cinematography, the tone, the amazing almost Hitchcockian score - it just reeks of classic film making. It's subdued, nothing feels cringy or forced.

I can't put my finger on it, but you know when sometimes you just can tell that something is written by Aaron Sorkin? It's the same with Shyamalan. People just act all weird, and the characters are just mouthpieces for the scriptwriter. It feels like cinematic show and tell, and every Shyamalan film since Signs has been getting progressively worse in this regard. Hopefully someone can put this into words better than myself, but I can't be alone in this.

This scene is a good example. It's just so fucking precious, like it's trying to hard or something.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Do any of you ever re-watch Unbreakable? I always get the impression that a lot of superfans of that movie were really young when they first watched it and haven't really re-watched with a critical eye.

The story in that movie is so unbelievably stupid.

It IS a fun movie to watch, I do enjoy it.. but people's expectations of M Night are just way too high. Split is also just a fun movie with a pretty stupid story. Maybe Glass is so over the top stupid and lacks the fun, but that's the risk you take with M Night.

The movie is going to be dumber than shit, but it might be fun to watch. Or it might be terrible. He's an interesting film maker and I'm glad he's around but his talent is hard to categorize.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, we should have seen this coming. Split is a decent film, but it's not on the same plane of existence as Unbreakable. The latter is pure cinema. The cinematography, the tone, the amazing almost Hitchcockian score - it just reeks of classic film making. It's subdued, nothing feels cringy or forced.

I can't put my finger on it, but you know when sometimes you just can tell that something is written by Aaron Sorkin? It's the same with Shyamalan. People just act all weird, and the characters are just mouthpieces for the scriptwriter. It feels like cinematic show and tell, and every Shyamalan film since Signs has been getting progressively worse in this regard. Hopefully someone can put this into words better than myself, but I can't be alone in this.

This scene is a good example. It's just so fucking precious, like it's trying to hard or something.

Yeah - I think shitty, grandiose, self-aggrandizing Shyamalan is the real Shyamalan, and he can occasionally suppress that side of himself and concentrate and make something actually pretty good (as he did at the beginning of his career), but he can't suppress it forever and always ends up returning to that default.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seeing it tonight. Most of the people who have reviewed the film don't have simular tastes to me so I'm hoping for the best

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America

Oh God. I remember this scene bothering me so much as a kid. Military leader explains to us exactly what this outside force is doing (as if the audience couldn't surmise this some other, more subtle way), then a load of stuff which doesn't add up happens. This is typical M.Night here.

>Alien force is sent all over the world as a recon group. I guess the recon group neglected to inform the incoming force that the planet was made up primarily of a thing that would kill them. Mastery of interplanetary travel, but they simply don't know that a basic building block of life is literally everywhere here.

> The recruiter knows his homerun records & is a fan of the guy, but is completely unaware of his strikeout record? Pfft

I'd like to say this is surprising, but as you said, this is the kind of writing M. Night has been doing for years now.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Do any of you ever re-watch Unbreakable? I always get the impression that a lot of superfans of that movie were really young when they first watched it and haven't really re-watched with a critical eye.

It IS a fun movie to watch, I do enjoy it.. but people's expectations of M Night are just way too high. Split is also just a fun movie with a pretty stupid story. Maybe Glass is so over the top stupid and lacks the fun, but that's the risk you take with M Night.

The movie is going to be dumber than shit, but it might be fun to watch. Or it might be terrible. He's an interesting film maker and I'm glad he's around but his talent is hard to categorize.

I have recently. Funny thing is I didn't like it when I first saw it at the theater. On rewatch I loved it. It's aged incrediblely well.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I have recently. Funny thing is I didn't like it when I first saw it at the theater. On rewatch I loved it. It's aged incrediblely well.
I had the same experience because I was sort of an angsty 20-something when I watched it and couldn't fathom how such a dumb plot could make people so excited.

I do really enjoy the movie now, but it is a plot you have to REALLLLY turn your brain off for. Something I'm more than capable in my elderly years as I realized at some point that there is actually a skill to enjoying media. Some people are really bad at it, seam determined to hate as many things as possible, refuse to turn their brain off, etc.

But it's still just do dumb. It's dumb fun, but dumb. A man who is not only invicible, unable to get sick, but also has super-human strength and apparently has been this way his entire life.. doesn't realize it until he's like 40? lol

I remember people back in the day endlessly arguing with me about that refusing to budge on the idea that this was all really contrived. Contrived fun, but contrived. Which is basically M Night's modus operendi.

There's nothing wrong with that, but I can't help but feel people have been hugely disapointed in so many of his movies because they sort of blinded themselves to how blatantly dumb and contrived pretty much everything he's written has been. He just sometimes wraps it in a really fun movie to watch and other times fails at that.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I had the same experience because I was sort of an angsty 20-something when I watched it and couldn't fathom how such a dumb plot could make people so excited.

I do really enjoy the movie now, but it is a plot you have to REALLLLY turn your brain off for. Something I'm more than capable in my elderly years as I realized at some point that there is actually a skill to enjoying media. Some people are really bad at it, seam determined to hate as many things as possible, refuse to turn their brain off, etc.

But it's still just do dumb. It's dumb fun, but dumb. A man who is not only invicible, unable to get sick, but also has super-human strength and apparently has been this way his entire life.. doesn't realize it until he's like 40? lol

I remember people back in the day endlessly arguing with me about that refusing to budge on the idea that this was all really contrived. Contrived fun, but contrived. Which is basically M Night's modus operendi.

There's nothing wrong with that, but I can't help but feel people have been hugely disapointed in so many of his movies because they sort of blinded themselves to how blatantly dumb and contrived pretty much everything he's written has been. He just sometimes wraps it in a really fun movie to watch and other times fails at that.

I didn't like it because I thought it was dumb (it isn't) I just didn't get it. I expected a thriller and got a comic book movie. I didn't appreciate it until
later when Tarantino called it a masterpiece and what not and gave it a rewatch.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I did see the previews and it did look interesting but I have not liked, or shown any interest, in any m night shyamalan movie after the sixth sense. After reading this thread my interest in this went down to 0.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

I've rewatched it at least 5 or 6 times.

I saw your later post explaining why you thought it was 'stupid'. Its not at all unreasonable to think that there are people just drifting through life, not really thinking critically or pushing their limits in any way.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I've rewatched it at least 5 or 6 times.

I saw your later post explaining why you thought it was 'stupid'. Its not at all unreasonable to think that there are people just drifting through life, not really thinking critically or pushing their limits in any way.
Except he was a college football player who allegedly was good enough to possibly make a career out of it.

Think maybe he'd have, bench pressed before? I mean he had one in his basement lol

There is nothiong remotely reasnable about a person with super human strength who is basically invincible not noticing this fact.

Not trying to de-rail, you are welcome to rebut and I'll read it but I'll probably let this convo die for the sake of the thread.

In my opinion the entire story behind this trilogy is incredibly convoluted, yet it's been fun to watch. I am not surprised Glass apparently is also convoluted, but am disapointed so many fans do not find it fun to watch. However the fact most of these fans seem to think the previous story is a great plot actually gives me some hope, because I have no expectations of a good plot. Or at the very least I have no expectation of the plot not being pretty contrived under the lightest of examination.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Except he was a college football player who allegedly was good enough to possibly make a career out of it.

Think maybe he'd have, bench pressed before? I mean he had one in his basement lol

There is nothiong remotely reasnable about a person with super human strength who is basically invincible not noticing this fact.

Not trying to de-rail, you are welcome to rebut and I'll read it but I'll probably let this convo die for the sake of the thread.

In my opinion the entire story behind this trilogy is incredibly convoluted, yet it's been fun to watch. I am not surprised Glass apparently is also convoluted, but am disapointed so many fans do not find it fun to watch. However the fact most of these fans seem to think the previous story is a great plot actually gives me some hope, because I have no expectations of a good plot.

For some gifted athletes, they can just breeze through certain levels of sport.

If you've watched the scene more than once, its clear that it doesn't become easier for him to lift more weight, he just does. It's exactly the same amount of strain, like the limit is 10 pounds away....

As to injury; some people just get lucky. Some people are more resistant, or can deal better. When it comes to pain, our only real point of reference is ourselves.

So you're letting this convo die... Ok..... Maybe watch Unbreakable again with an open mind and not "this is so stupid, its dumb, I can't get into the characters head and try to understand someone who thinks differently than I do"

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
The most disappointing thing is if you look at MC , every single review is basically considered "mixed"

The dude didn't make an awful film , he just made well...a really disappointing one. The guy isn't a bad director in my book, his writing is where he just starts to really smell his own farts for a long time. His intentions don't seem to be terrible but it becomes that because of his need to hold on to a certain gimmick and not seek a more straight forward approach. His best movies had twists , sure, but they worked within the context of the film.

Only one movie where he didn't solely right himself was After Earth (Gary Whitta helped lol)

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I agree, the dialogue in that scene is so forced and unnatural sounding.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Just read the spoilers.. Damn.

Its as if
M Night just decided to systematically destroy this franchise rather than make something anyone would enjoy to watch. We would have been far better off if David DIDN'T show up at the end of Split, and neither film ever got a sequel. Hell this might even exceed Mass Effect 3 as a third "part" that actually retroactively ruins all the awesome that came before with a stupid ending.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
So you're letting this convo die... Ok.....

SImply in the interest of not derailing; I would rather just keep it to my opinion that the past movies were really fun but IMO had sort of braindead plots. That tempers my expectation and hopefully allows me to be less disapointed in Glass. I know I asked people to challenge their opinions of the first movie's plot but realized after that could be a huge derail.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I'm in for this either way because my wife is not excited for it and doesn't pay too much attention to reviews.

Spoilers don't sound too bad. I'm not really invested in this trilogy but I remember at least liking the first 2 films.

LenHendricks

Nov 5, 2017
First weekend for sure. After that it depends in WOM.

You're not going to have to worry about that. Based on the comments about the ending (not to mention the film's bad reviews in general), this is going to take a massive nose-dive after the opening weekend.

Either way, this movie cost all of $20 million. It'll turn a profit after its first few days in theaters, even if audiences dislike it as much as critics do.

Oct 30, 2017
I apologize for my previous post. I had no intention of insinuating any racial undertones with that spelling. I had just known it to be difficult to spell. But I'm sorry regardless. I recognize it was in poor taste.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're not going to have to worry about that. Based on the comments about the ending (not to mention the film's bad reviews in general), this is going to take a massive nose-dive after the opening weekend.

Either way, this movie cost all of $20 million. It'll turn a profit after its first few days in theaters, even if audiences dislike it as much as critics do.

If WoM is as bad as I think it'll be, we might even see a BvS-esque Friday to Saturday collapse so even its opening weekend might not be too good.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Yo that's one of the best scenes in the film! Lol