• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/07/impossible-foods-launches-chicken-substitute-in-us-restaurants.html
Impossible Foods on Tuesday launched its meatless chicken nuggets in restaurants and announced plans to bring the new offering to supermarkets by the end of the month.

In the last decade, chicken has overtaken beef as Americans' top meat choice, making it a target for the companies like Impossible that are looking to replace or reduce consumption of animal meat. The Impossible Chicken Nuggets help the company catch up to rival Beyond Meat, which launched chicken tenders in U.S. restaurants this July, more than two years after discontinuing its original chicken alternative.
Now this I can get behind, assuming they're reasonably priced. I don't get their fake-beef patties too often because of the amount of saturated fat (8g per serving).
The nuggets are:
200 calories per serving
10g total fat
1.5g saturated fat
320mg sodium
12g or 10g protein (they have both numbers on their website)

48% land than chickens
43% less water
36% fewer GHG emissions

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
Really curious to try these

I will happily stop eating chicken if they can get alternatives tasting similar

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
gonna have to check Walmart when its available.
the price seems alright. $8 for 20 nugs.

OP
OP
Walter White Walker
Oct 27, 2017
Almost half the calories are from fat. That is way too much. And too little protein for what is to substitute for chicken nuggets.
It's a bit hard to tell. The weight of one serving of the Impossible Foods chicken nuggets is 80g.
I'm looking at Banquet chicken nuggets and their serving size is 92g with 220 calories, 11g fat, 2.5 saturated, 540mg sodium and 12g protein.
Yummy Dino Buddies chicken nuggets are 76g, 170 calories, 9g fat, 1.5 saturated, 370mg sodium and 8g protein.
McDonald's 4 piece is I don't know the weight, 170 calories, 10g fat, 1.5 saturated, 330mg sodium and 9g protein.

So the protein and fat seem about in the same ballpark, as near as I can tell. They all use a bit different weight for a serving.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Almost half the calories are from fat. That is way too much. And too little protein for what is to substitute for chicken nuggets.

I mean... these are chicken nuggets. How often should one really be eating chicken nuggets? I look at these the same way as Impossible burgers... a once in a while treat as a vegetarian.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've never eaten a chicken nugget while trying to be healthy, so an unhealthy vegan alternative is something I'm fine with

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Vegan/Vegetarian food does not automatically mean, nor should it mean healthy.

Sometimes people just want some crappy food, and if you're vegan/vegetarian there are more and more options for that that don't involve meat

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I'm mostly a pescatarian but I'll eat meat once a month or so. I mostly eat veggies and I just don't understand the appeal to this impossible meat shit. The stuff is extremely processed garbage. The meat version is probably healthier for you (it still sucks ethically tho). If you want to stop eating meat there is plenty of natural delicious stuff to eat. More processed foods is not going to help anyone with their health.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly a pescatarian but I'll eat meat once a month or so. I mostly eat veggies and I just don't understand the appeal to this impossible meat shit. The stuff is extremely processed garbage. The meat version is probably healthier for you (it still sucks ethically tho). If you want to stop eating meat there is plenty of natural delicious stuff to eat. More processed foods is not going to help anyone with their health.

Yeah, that's not true. It's got less cholesterol than regular meat.

Plus the less people eat real meat the better.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No one's eating nuggets to help out with their health. Don't be ridiculous.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
they're imitation chicken nuggets, which are already processed meat garbage

it's not like they're pretending to be a healthy food. They're nuggets

As a vegetarian, mostly vegan, I sometimes enjoy eating garbage. It's not all black beans and salad, that'd be miserable

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020

As a vegetarian, mostly vegan, I sometimes enjoy eating garbage. It's not all black beans and salad, that'd be miserable
If you want to eat these things, enjoy.

No one's eating nuggets to help out with their health. Don't be ridiculous.
A lot of people see meatless options as a healthy alternative.

Yeah, that's not true. It's got less cholesterol than regular meat.

Plus the less people eat real meat the better.
I agree the less people eat meat the better. I doubt anyone is giving up meat to eat this stuff though. This shit definitely doesn't appeal to me but I guess there are lots of veggies that do like fast food.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Unless it's an actual vegetable, this myth hasn't been true for decades. I can go eat an entire bag of Cheetos right now as a meatless option. Meatless options are meatless options. They're hardly ever there as a "healthy" option unless one views a non-meat diet as one that is healthier.

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to eat these things, enjoy.

I agree the less people eat meat the better. I doubt anyone is giving up meat to eat this stuff though. This shit definitely doesn't appeal to me but I guess there are lots of veggies that do like fast food.

Well, can only speak for myself, but my wife is vegetarian, and since Impossible Burger and other faux-meats my meat eating has gone down at least 90%

It's nice that my wife and I can cook something together that we can both eat

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
At that price, they're still a bit much, bit I'll at least give them a try.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Unless it's an actual vegetable, this myth hasn't been true for decades. I can go eat an entire bag of Cheetos right now as a meatless option. Meatless options are meatless options. They're hardly ever there as a "healthy" option unless one views a non-meat diet as one that is healthier.
Look at the posts here, people clearly view "Meatless" versions of things that they're supposed to be healthy alternatives.

Yeah a bag of cheetos is meatless, but that's not something that is normally meat.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Well, can only speak for myself, but my wife is vegetarian, and since Impossible Burger and other faux-meats my meat eating has gone down at least 90%

It's nice that my wife and I can cook something together that we can both eat
It's a similar story for me. I can substitute this into my recipes and make them meatless without sacrificing anything. On sale (which is usually when I buy impossible or beyond) it's priced in a similar ball park to ground beef or sausage. So why not? Nutritionally it's basically the same (queue someone posting a study funded by the meat industry saying otherwise based on micronutrients), its better for the planet. Less stuff suffered to get it to my table.

So yeah. More of this please. I tried the Alpha Nuggets over the weekend and they were good, but Impossible and Beyond are generally on a higher tier than Alpha, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed these deliver.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

preach

Just like the Beyond Chicken Nuggets, it doesn't seem like Impossible Nuggets are available near me going by the locator, and I'd have to travel into NYC to try it, and if go into NYC I am not having big brand foods that'll eventually be easily available to at home - I'll go to a veg spot where the menu is housemade. It's been years since I made a special trip to Momofuku Nishi to sample their Impossible Burger back when it was exclusive spot for the bleeding veggie burger. So I wait. Looking forward to trying both Beyond and Impossible nuggets.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
If people view vegan alternatives as inherently healthier, that's on them. They're probably the same people who think "gluten free" food is healthy.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Look at the posts here, people clearly view "Meatless" versions of things that they're supposed to be healthy alternatives.

Yeah a bag of cheetos is meatless, but that's not something that is normally meat.
I've been eating faux meat for as long as I can remember, and I've never assumed that it's healthy by any means. There are so many options out there that don't even require the food or pan to be oiled because it's got so much damn oil in it already lol

Gazele

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the prices for impossible meat has already come down a lot, sometimes below beef. As this continues to scale one of the ideas is that it will be so much cheaper than real meat that it drives the reduction in supply of meat, not just because of "ethical reasons" or "it has a similar taste"

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Now they just need to come up with Impossible chicken skin that can go on the outside of Impossible chicken breasts so once it's breaded and deep fried, it'll give you that Popeyes/KFC experience.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I've been eating faux meat for as long as I can remember, and I've never assumed that it's healthy by any means. There are so many options out there that don't even require the food or pan to be oiled because it's got so much damn oil in it already lol
And that's fair, I eat a lot of faux meat and I don't ever claim to say it's healthy...

But every time someone will be like "Wow, it's so bad for you!", like no shit lol

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the vegetarian chicken alternatives around are close enough for me, nugget-wise. Real chicken nuggets don't really have the taste/texture of meat anyways, so like... breaded plant-based whatever with some BBQ sauce and it's essentially the same experience.

sLduZUc.png

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
And that's fair, I eat a lot of faux meat and I don't ever claim to say it's healthy...

But every time someone will be like "Wow, it's so bad for you!", like no shit lol
Haha exactly. The first two priorities for me when I'm eating faux meat are 1.) is it meatless and 2.) is it delicious. Check those boxes, and I'm ready to get fat as hell.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Yeah, albeit speaking anecdotally from a place of privilege in my slice of Americana, Beyond and Impossible are generally competitively priced to real meat at grocery stores now. It's wild to see as someone who was there day one with the early adopter sticker shock pressed into my memory.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Yay! If these are good I can cut a majority of non-fish meat out of my diet. I've tried some other brand's before and they tasted… wrong. Hopefully these are better.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Interested in trying them. The Beyond Meat nuggets from A&W are very good if a tad too salty.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I will gladly eat these. PLEASE be somewhat more healthy than chicken...

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I had incogmeato chicken nuggets the other day and they tasted at best like pretty shitty frozen real chicken nuggets. Hopefully these are better - Impossible is by far the best fake beef, so fingers crossed.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
once ate rice nuggets and also tried another brand made of soy. To be honest in comparison to other buyable nuggets in Germany they did taste almost the same. Making real juicy fresh nuggets is a different experience though.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I completely switched to meatless alternatives in the past year since they became more abundant in Germany. Alternatives as in replacement with equal nutritional value in proteins and often a vastly superior lipid makeup.
Last positive surprise: plant based burger king burgers. I was actually about to complain because i thought i got a real meat patty.
The nuggets are great already, too. If nobody told me i wouldn't have noticed. But better alternatives are always welcome!