• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finally had one in the Bay Area last week. I'm not a huge Whopper fan to begin with (I think they're fine) but it was super impressive on a 'simulation of meat' level. I've had plenty of vegan substitute meals, and even though I love seitan wings with some good sauce, this is a whole other level.

The thing just tasted exactly like a whopper. Weird and cool.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly they're really good, but I think they'll suck wayyyyyyyyy more at BK because everything else at BK is shitty. It's like having premium beef between garbage vs. premium beef between good ingredients and a good bun. Sigh.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Tried one finally at a Burger King here in Sweden.

It isn't perfect, but holy shit it is goddamn close. This stuff needs a much wider distrubution if it can drive down the ecological costs of regular beef meat. I'd be happy to continue eating this.

what about the part that it's all just processed junk anyways

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'll have to try it. I tried the beyond meat tacos at del taco but I didnt find them that great. My daughter likes them. I have not tried a beyond burger though.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Burger King's setup for this feels really unfriendly to vegans, at least Del Taco offers a vegan option for every Beyond item. The whopper needs to be made plain and with no bun for vegans, which is literally just the patty in a little salad dish with some lettuce thrown in.

Oct 27, 2017
btw they just signed a deal with a major food producer to make Impossible Burgers which will double the amount made daily and four times as many by the end of the year. Also just got FDA approval to sell them in grocery stores.
Hopefully increased scale will soon reduce prices. I'd love to jump on board but not at a premium price.

Last edited:

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
btw they just signed a deal with a major food producer to make Impossible Burgers which will double the amount made daily and four times as many by the end of the year. Also just got FDA approval to sell them in grocery stores.
Hopefully increased scale will soon reduce prices. I'd love to jump on board but not at a premium price.

I've been buying Beyond Burgers in stores for months. Two patties for $5 isn't atrocious compared to other pre-pattied burger prices.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Are vege patties going to be cheaper than actual meat someday? I'd thought the cost of raising a cow would be higher but I imagine we're paying for all the R&D?

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I really love both impossible burgers and beyond burgers. Does anybody have a scoop of their carbon footprint is good or at least better than cow based meat burgers?

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Tried a Beyond Beef burger a few weeks ago and I was surprised at how good it was, the texture and flavor was pretty close to beef, but the smell was a little off. Really looking forward to trying Impossible 2.0 since the consensus seems to be that it's even better.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The gov can subsidize veg patties as well, it just comes down to lobbying power eventually.

If we took climate change seriously we'd already be doing this but beef is pretty big in America (though on the decline).

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wait so all the restaurants with Impossible patties including chains like White Castle have to remove it from their menus? Because Burger King bought exclusivity?

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I wanna eat this veggie burger and I never thought I'd type those words

This and the Beyond Burger are legitimately very good. I still eat beef burgers sometimes, but the majority of my burger eating is now Beyond or Impossible. I've even seen burrito places using Beyond meat seasoned as a carne asada for their burrito filling, which was pretty good.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean... there's already lots of vegan ice cream and cheese. Non dairy ice cream is really good and I reckon most people wouldn't even realize it.
I think people want the taste and texture of cheese and the melting behavior, maybe the stringiness of mozz, and this isn't trivial to accomplish.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing news. This showing there's a big market out there for this. Impossible Chicken is probably next.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So.... are they gonna offer wheat buns/possibly vegan cheese with this to make it fully vegan?

For what it's worth, by default, the Whopper is not served with cheese. Obviously that doesn't help individuals who want a cheese alternative on their Impossible Whopper but because of that I wonder how important BK views having vegan cheese available

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
This is a watershed moment for vegan meat substitutes. This kinda product was normally found in healthy grocers and fancy or trendy restaurants. Now it's in every Burger King. Imagine how many people are going to finally try this out and see how accessible meatless eating can be. It's great.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I had an impossible once at my company's cafeteria. It wasn't bad at all, at little disconcerting when I first ate it, and it had a slightly funky taste but it was edible. I ruined it with bacon and cheese (lol) but that wasn't the point either for me. I tried a beyond and immediately threw it out after one bite.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's fucking lame, hope it gets sorted out eventually.

The Impossible Burger tastes way better than Beyond burger in my opinion. Beyond Burger tastes just like Boca to me.

For me they tasted the same and the texture was the same, but the Beyond burger had a weird peanut-y aftertaste, the Impossible one didn't.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Vegan cheese is great I have it exclusively and have for years

Some brands can taste ok, but they don't really taste like regular dairy cheese. There's a company out there that's producing whey proteins using the same types of genetically modified yeasts that Impossible uses to make their heme, so 'real' non-animal cheese is probably closer than we think.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Some brands can taste ok, but they don't really taste like regular dairy cheese. There's a company out there that's producing whey proteins using the same types of genetically modified yeasts that Impossible uses to make their heme, so 'real' non-animal cheese is probably closer than we think.
Violife for me

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

Huh I'll have to try that out. There has been a lot of development in vegan cheeses over that last 15 years, particularly recently. I tend to treat it as a fun novelty at this point, but I'd love to have the "Impossible Burger" of vegan cheese. Though, I had a vegan grilled cheese last night that wasn't half bad so we're getting there.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Huh I'll have to try that out. There has been a lot of development in vegan cheeses over that last 15 years, particularly recently. I tend to treat it as a fun novelty at this point, but I'd love to have the "Impossible Burger" of vegan cheese. Though, I had a vegan grilled cheese last night that wasn't half bad so we're getting there.
It's as close as I could ever get for taste

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I think the huge stretch to me is that these fake meats will ever gain widespread adoption.
Given that 'flexitarian' population worldwide is in hundreds of millions(and that's a direct target market for these products), widespread adoption is only a question of availability at this point.

The other thing is that these products will outperform cost of production for meat in the long run, so that's where it could start driving adoption with dedicated meat-eaters as well, simply for budgetary reasons.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This isn't accurate(old, so maybe outdated?). They still have impossible at Qdoba. I was just there yesterday and it was available.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard Tyson is working on getting into this game. Beyond meat has the most to lose as impossible is a higher quality more niche product but still. Shows there's a lot of room for more players still.

Had an Impossible cheeseburger a couple of weeks ago at Gott's Roadside and it was delicious. Tasted like a real cheeseburger with no aftertaste that I could discern.

I had asked them about the shortage prior and they only told me that they used to get them in patties but now get it in like a tube so they have to cut and portion into patties. Gott's serves 2.0 but did originally carry 1.0.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, when is this company going to go public?

I already regret not buying Beyond stock when it started (its like triple what it was when I first heard you could buy stock) and I found them to taste pretty much like ylur typical bean burger, not bad, just not a burger.