• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Impossible > Beyond burger > almost every resturants home made veggie patties.

Beyond and impossible stick together, give a large amount of protein and have a nice meaty taste or can be seasoned really well. I still buy a bunch of beyond patties in the storescuz its easier to make for dinner than my own.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'm a vegetarian (partially because of environmental reasons), love these fake burgers... but this is a huuuge stretch.

Cows are very old and very inefficient technology that convert plants into meat. Using modern tech, Impossible and Beyond are making replacement products that will significantly diminish our reliance on cattle. The agricultural industry is seriously one of the most harmful inventions in modern human history, regarding climate change.

It's only a matter of time until more and more people switch over to meat substitutes, and (anecdotally) I've noticed a very high portion of people that love these products.

Check out Glenn Beck (yeah ... I know, but seriously) respond to a blinded test between Impossible and a real-meat burger: jump to 3:30 for the punchline.

OP
OP
Joe2187

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm that today we are selling beyond burgers since our stock ran out...

they're ordering Kobe Beef burgers instead, since they all want impossible.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I run a small wholesale food business and we're currently at the point of turning new customers away due to being at maximum capacity. I don't think I'd ever consider cutting off supply to all other customers in favour of one huge one though.

Seems a little short sighted honestly.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I asked for one at a bar a few weeks ago and the waitress told me they didn't have any because Burger King had bought all the product from the local distributor.

I guess she was right.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Impossible burgers are still almost as twice the price as the regular dollar menu burgers so this is good in bringing prices down as fast as possible . I won't bwlieve the hype til they are the same prices as those or near it.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I heard they were adding another shift and a second assembly line to increase production capacity. Did they already do that and STILL can't keep up?

Also, how's the Beyond Beef patty doing business wise? Is it in a similar situation? I haven't had either but I'm interested to try them both.

EDIT: Source on them increasing production, from an article last month

Beyond's IPO has been nuts. You'd swear they were selling gold patties or something

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Impossible burgers are still almost as twice the price as the regular dollar menu burgers so this is good in bringing prices down as fast as possible . I won't bwlieve the hype til they are the same prices as those or near it.
If only fake meat was subsidized as much as meat and dairy farmers. You're paying for it through taxes anyway.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I work in an extremely popular national chain restaurant and can confirm we've been out of the patties for like 2 months at this point

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Michael Symon championing these guys in his burger joints for years and I guess BK just took all that love ..

I get they have much more purchasing power, but also the impact of losing that connection to the customers that helped build you could ultimately harm you long term.

Honestly I wouldn't expect them to stay an independent entity much longer as it sounds like the need even more capital and backing to handle this workload.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So, where are all these investors with Impossible Burger? I thought they would be going out and opening new manufacturing companies and getting major deals with the farmers on getting ingredients? You would think the popularity of non-meat burgers would mean you would invest heavily into R&D before the popularity hits the fan!

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Cows are very old and very inefficient technology that convert plants into meat. Using modern tech, Impossible and Beyond are making replacement products that will significantly diminish our reliance on cattle. The agricultural industry is seriously one of the most harmful inventions in modern human history, regarding climate change.

It's only a matter of time until more and more people switch over to meat substitutes, and (anecdotally) I've noticed a very high portion of people that love these products.

Check out Glenn Beck (yeah ... I know, but seriously) respond to a blinded test between Impossible and a real-meat burger: jump to 3:30 for the punchline.

I think the huge stretch to me is that these fake meats will ever gain widespread adoption. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

I know all the other stuff about how terrible meat, particularly cows, is for the environment.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

The question is nutrition. Red meat everyday isn't particularly good for you but the alternative food industry has a notorious habit of being worse for you in the long run compared to things they are replacing once a real long term study has been conducted. I'm particularly concerned about the use of vegetable oils as a replacement of animal fats in these alternative meat products.

Plus the whole of the cow is used in other industries as well other than just meats. Leather for example.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
This explains why I couldn't get it anywhere these pasts few days. This sucks because this restaurant was using it with their tacos and it was delicious.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I think the huge stretch to me is that these fake meats will ever gain widespread adoption. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

I know all the other stuff about how terrible meat, particularly cows, is for the environment.

Plenty of people will give it a try and may convert, but you'll always have the Fox News 'AOC AND HER BAND OF COMMIES COMING TO TAKE YOUR FREEDOM MEAT!' people trying to hold back change. All we can do is hope enough people replace meat with alternatives like this to make a difference.

OP
OP
Joe2187

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
The question is nutrition. Red meat everyday isn't particularly good for you but the alternative food industry has a notorious habit of being worse for you in the long run compared to things they are replacing once a real long term study has been conducted. I'm particularly concerned about the use of vegetable oils as a replacement of animal fats in these alternative meat products.

Plus the whole of the cow is used in other industries as well other than just meats. Leather for example.

If you look at the ingredients for some reason Impossible burgers are pumped full of vitaman supplements as well.

No idea why tho

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can only hope demand continues to be outrageous. The faster we can replace the lion's share of meat production (and its carbon hit), the better.

At the same time it shines are rather sad light on societies in developed countries who can't be bothered to make even the smallest sacrifice... aka decreasing one's own meat consumption without some sort of replacement product.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
This is the first time I've been able to say this in ages: thank god I live in Florida.

The Impossible burger is one of the best things I've eaten in my life, and it'd be tough to go without. No way I'd go to Beyond. I hope Impossible is able to get their ducks in a row and expand, roll things out to BK nation-wide, and expand even further and get it out to other restaurants again.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Would someone who has never eaten beef/pork products (well tried a burger once and didn't make it past two bites), mostly raised on poultry and fish enjoy it?

Folks mentioning "meaty" taste and such, I'm assuming it's close to texture/taste of beef?

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
I've only had the Beyond Burger and I was really impressed with it. I cooked it up in a pan, not grilled, with seasoning and olive oil while topping it off with some cooked onions in the same pan. I haven't had cow meat in a long time but Beyond tasted close enough to me.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
This is the first time I've been able to say this in ages: thank god I live in Florida.

The Impossible burger is one of the best things I've eaten in my life, and it'd be tough to go without. No way I'd go to Beyond. I hope Impossible is able to get their ducks in a row and expand, roll things out to BK nation-wide, and expand even further and get it out to other restaurants again.

why do you say "No way" you'd eat a beyond burger? They are both pretty damn good in my experience. Seems crazy someone "couldn't go without" an Impossible Burger but would refuse to eat a Beyond Burger.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to try Impossible, but it's not in Canada yet.

I tried Beyond Meat and it was good. Tasted mostly like a Harveys burger or any of those frozen burgers with lots of filler. So, pretty damned good for a veggie patty. I'd know it's not a 100% beef patty, but I might certainly confuse it with a frozen burger, which I'd say is pretty high praise.

My main issue with it is price. I just don't see the reason to buy it when it costs roughly 4x the price of regular meat.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to try Impossible, but it's not in Canada yet.

I tried Beyond Meat and it was good. Tasted mostly like a Harveys burger or any of those frozen burgers with lots of filler. So, pretty damned good for a veggie patty. I'd know it's not a 100% beef patty, but I might certainly confuse it with a frozen burger, which I'd say is pretty high praise.

My main issue with it is price. I just don't see the reason to buy it when it costs roughly 4x the price of regular meat.
Honestly don't know how much the patties cost in a grocery store so the bolded might be correct, but also the A&W beyond meat burger is like 30 cents more than a teen burger (although I guess it also doesn't have bacon).

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly don't know how much the patties cost in a grocery store so the bolded might be correct, but also the A&W beyond meat burger is like 30 cents more than a teen burger (although I guess it also doesn't have bacon).

In the US at least, $6 for two Beyond Burger patties (bought them at Whole Foods this past weekend).

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

At A&W it's like ~$6-7 for the burger right with no cheese? It'd be more comparable to a Mama I think.

But yeah mainly it's at the grocery store that's the issue. 2 patties for ~$8. I can buy 2 pounds of medium ground beef for that price.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I just got an email that Qdoba is now serving Impossible ground round. Email says they cook it with onions & tomatoes. Looks like they have them in my neck of the woods, and I'm in North Dakota so that's maybe a way to check it out too.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
As long as this catches on, the price will go down. With the swine flu, avian flu, mad cow, I have no problem switching entirely off meat since the alternative is nearly on the same level.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
My local burger place has had the Impossible Burger for the last year that I have lived in Hollywood, FL but they now replaced it with the Beyond burger. I don't mind the change because I don't like the taste of meat anyways but I can understand this being disappointing to others.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time it shines are rather sad light on societies in developed countries who can't be bothered to make even the smallest sacrifice... aka decreasing one's own meat consumption without some sort of replacement product.
Replacements are difficult by design, that's not a "smallest sacrifice" when you're immediately going up against subsidies, availability, and the largest food conglomerates on the planet with their immense capital reserves. A systemic problem requires systemic solutions, and a meat replacement is one component. Reducing it to individual sacrifices is playing into the very corporate conception of everything rests in the hands of the consumer, they just have to make better choices! Don't look at us! How did that work out for the recycling mantra? Or lifestyle veganism?

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My husband ordered one of these at Red Robin a few weeks ago not knowing it was vegetarian. I tried it, it was a bit off, not exactly like a real burger, but pretty darn close. Was missing some of that fatty, umami meat taste that a real patty has. I don't think he'd have a problem ordering it again. Maybe I misread something, but I swear I remember the calorie listed for the impossible burger were weird, like the Impossible Burger had MORE calories for some reason.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Tried one finally at a Burger King here in Sweden.

It isn't perfect, but holy shit it is goddamn close. This stuff needs a much wider distrubution if it can drive down the ecological costs of regular beef meat. I'd be happy to continue eating this.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like this may come back to bite them. They risk giving away significant market share to their competitors.

At least in Ontario, Beyond is popping up at tons of places here including grocery stores. Impossible hasn't even shown up yet. Meanwhile, beyond is getting tons of name recognition.