• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah it's terrible, it's Day 3 and my son still can't even craft an axe, he has to buy one or I craft one and leave it on the floor for him

Co op in general is terrible, whats the point of fishing together if the non leader doesn't keep what they catch
Timmy sells the missing tool recipes.
Hit 'R' to access the second tab. You won't get all the recipes player one gets, just the vital ones.

It took me a while to realise there was a second tab -_-

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think so, no.

it seems pretty par the course for animal crossing.
It's hilarious to see you call it par for the course when prior games didn't have nearly as much interactions with the player. DIY Recipes, island projects, and upgrades are integral to this game, among other things only the primary player can do. It's not remotely comparable, and sucks for console players. And I'm saying this as a Switch owner who bought a Switch lite specifically to play this game portably.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm a little confused, is this different from previous Animal Crossing games? I never really played multiplayer Animal Crossing til this one, my wife and I both have our own Switches though.
From what I can tell, New Horizons is the first game ever to have multiplayer Animal Crossing play sessions on the same device.

New Leaf and New Horizons multiplayer works the same way for online play, but it's not the same for local same-console play.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost as of expectations have changed over the years.
Sure they have but old game designs still persist anyway. Nintendo still makes 2D platformers too.

Nobody liked the Wii version either. On GameCube everyone had their own memory cards anyway. On the 3ds it cost the price of the game (which was also less than a switch game costs remember). And Nintendo has to be damned well aware that basically nobody shared a town on new leaf.

And even then you at least had the reasoning that there was only a very finite amount of save data space for new leaf to use, and it probably used enough of it that a second town couldn't really be saved.

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever that players couldn't have their own islands if they want to, and fuck Nintendo for not leaving that choice to the player.
Literally every AC works this way and will probably always work this way. Again, no reason this should take anyone by surprise if they've ever touched the series before.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Sure they have but old game designs still persist anyway. Nintendo still makes 2D platformers too.

Literally every AC works this way and will probably always work this way. Again, no reason this should take anyone by surprise if they've ever touched the series before.
Previous consoles did not have account systems like switch. It doesn't matter that older games worked this way.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If my friends are anything to go by, most of them are new to this series or have very little past experience. Even more so for their kids who want to play. It's kinda crap the more I read about it, which sucks because I'm very much enjoying it. :(

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Previous consoles did not have account systems like switch. It doesn't matter that older games worked this way.
Er, yes they did? I've had a variation of this same account or a predecessor on or linked to my Wii, DSi and 3DS. It's irrelevant anyway, the model is by design and not restriction.

If my friends are anything to go by, most of them are new to this series or have very little past experience. Even more so for their kids who want to play. It's kinda crap the more I read about it, which sucks because I'm very much enjoying it. :(
That's fair. For someone new to the series who hasn't done their research this could be an unwelcome surprise.

Animal Crossing teaching everybody social distancing.
Actually it's sort of the opposite, lol.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Also if you use the call function to bring a resident into co-op play, if the second player tries picking up an item it'll literally disappear and be gone.

That seems dangerous as the co-op is meant for casual fun. Although the second player literally can't do anything.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Literally every other AC was friendlier to additional players though.
Gamecube was pretty much the same experience no matter who was playing.
Wild World you had to share a house, but you weren't locked out of anything otherwise.
(I skipped City Folk)
New Leaf had a Mayor system, which locked some features to one player. However this was clearly outlined and all additional players could contribute to projects regardless. In fact, other players were encouraged to pool resources together in the game itself, there was a donation system. It boggles the mind this wasn't kept for NH.

Also the DS and 3DS most certainly did not have an account switching system at all. Me and my friend have always shared consoles, including handhelds. This is going back to the Gamecube entry!
Also if you use the call function to bring a resident into co-op play, if the second player tries picking up an item it'll literally disappear and be gone.
It zaps to the recycle box, they can pick it up later.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's great, but doesn't compare at all to the amount of recipes you get being the primary resident and just progressing through the game.

This wasn't an issue until this morning when the differences became so jarring. I don't even feel like playing the game anymore.

Guess I haven't hit that point yet.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Literally every other AC was friendlier to additional players though.
Gamecube was pretty much the same experience no matter who was playing.
Wild World you had to share a house, but you weren't locked out of anything otherwise.
(I skipped City Folk)
New Leaf had a Mayor system, which locked some features to one player. However this was clearly outlined and all additional players could contribute to projects regardless. In fact, other players were encouraged to pool resources together in the game itself, there was a donation system. It boggles the mind this wasn't kept for NH.

Also the DS and 3DS most certainly did not have an account switching system at all. Me and my friend have always shared consoles, including handhelds. This is going back to the Gamecube entry!

It zaps to the recycle box, they can pick it up later.

Oh ok. That's good at least lol.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair. For someone new to the series who hasn't done their research this could be an unwelcome surprise.
It shouldn't need "research" though. It's not as bad as the n3DS not coming with a charger, but it still sucks for anyone understandably wanting either discrete instances/islands for each account, or shared progression in co-op.

Nov 1, 2017
Er, yes they did? I've had a variation of this same account or a predecessor on or linked to my Wii, DSi and 3DS. It's irrelevant anyway, the model is by design and not restriction.
You're misunderstanding what's meant by account system, all those systems had accounts but switching between profiles wasn't an aspect. I have one Switch and my family members all have their own accounts with their own saves associated with it. It's like any other modern console. Ignoring that, being by design isn't a defense for bad design. Any player that's not the first villager is going to deal with a lesser experience when it could be addressed.

That seems dangerous as the co-op is meant for casual fun. Although the second player literally can't do anything.

I'll have to double check but I believe those items end up in the recycling bin and can be picked up later.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018

There've been a lot of instances for me as an "olde" gamer where I've had to actively avoid to fall into same trap for the sake of an argument.
I think raccoon's post sums up the dilemma of "conservative vs. progressive" for AC perfectly:
I used to be like you. I used to care about the old games, and how things used to be. But around the time of the New Horizons Direct, I realized that the series has changed dramatically.

Again, I point to the fact that secondary players have just as much available to them as any player did in the classic games. If it were truly about that traditional experience, it's long gone. Animal Crossing is a game now, with progression, and fetch quests, and missions and structure, and you can't all dink around in it together with a cat piano BGM and a single oscillator square wave bassline in 480i resolution.

You want to have the same experience, but you can't. If you could, Nintendo would've done it. Full stop. You can't all be mayor, and that is in fact an unreasonable desire. The people who wanted each account to have a single island with a single player were right all along, damn it, but at the time I vied against them.

There is a silver bullet that will finish Animal Crossing's transformation into the modern series everyone seems to want it to be. And I'd rather they further commit to their modern design ideology that leave behind a pathetic, outdated reminder of the idiosyncratic experiment it used to be.
And that dilemma, as the designers might have realized that they are at a fork in the road with the series, supposedly led them to the bad (?) decision to just trample straight into the desert. I'm just sorry that I chose to get into the series with this iteration as a secondary player, because it is a limited experience of what it set out to do for a single player. And the fact that this results in the full experience tied to only one player per console makes this iteration of AC ultimately fail the Switch/current platform concept imho.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The simple answer people don't want to hear is that New Horizon's achievement/progression system was designed for a single person playing, not for a shared island. Some achievements are tied to getting recipes, to progressing the town growing, to facilities and people coming. A number can only be gotten once or wouldn't make sense to split (such as the ones requiring streaks of certain actions). They just shouldn't have allowed shared islands in this game

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well, that's some garbage.

My roommate was very interested in checking out AC on the Switch after watching me play, and I thought that if she created her own account on the Switch, she'd be able to start a game and play it like a normal person. Nintendo needs to sort its shit out when it comes to multiple people playing the same game on a single console. What's the point of having multiple profiles if you can't actually use them like individual profiles?

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017

I don't remember Wii super well but I believe it didn't have accounts. You could create Miis but everything was system wide including friend codes.

The model is by design but that doesn't stop it from being a horrible design that hurts players.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for bringing this up, OP. This was going to be my first AC and we were gonna share the island with the GF, but now I just kind of.. Don't want to get the game at all. This sort of stuff annoys the hell out of me, to be frank.

Why in the hell wouldn't they let separate profiles play on separate islands at the very least, then? The Switch is as much a console as it is handheld, it sounds insanely stupid to me that only one player per console can essentially get the complete experience.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
After some time away today, I think New Leaf is still the better game.

This honestly feels early access as I feel a lot of things will be added in updates and sort of makes sense as the year progresses, but as a package, so much is missing.

Really, I'm just bitter about gyroids being omitted. Also, planting the tree was such a symbol in New Leaf and there's no analog or expansion of that idea in New Horizons.

Here's to hoping this is all a journey and my SO can also be given some input on the island along this journey. Currently we haven't had glaring issues as we play side by side almost exclusively, but I'd want an experience that doesn't necessitate that.

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
I am not sure about anyone else but I had my daughter start a game on my established (Three days!) island and within 30 minutes I now am the proud owner of four Switch systems (1 launch, 1 Red/Blue version, 1 Animal Crossing LE and one Gold Mini) along with four copies of Animal Crossing via digital. So worth it if you have a family who wants to play.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand the constant surprise and outrage with this, like literally this is how every single AC worked from N64 on. In fact the game was originally conceived around it, way back when EAD wanted it to be a "communication game" for parents and kids to all play and send messages and presents to each other.
The original game did not distinguish the first resident from the other 3. All were an equal in autonomy of the town.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I kind of think it sums it up nicely. It is a relatively trivial and minimal issue. Frustrating? Maybe. But worth the ire and inevitable online petitions? Ehh...

This singlehandedly killed my interest in the game, which I planned to buy specifically to play through it with someone.

I can't stop you from dismissing priorities that don't match your own, but for some people it's more than a "trivial and minimal issue".

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It sucks, without another switch you are out of luck. Luckily my girlfriend has a second switch and we gameshare my account and no issues. A 2nd switch is costly though, so I feel for you.

Have you figured a way to play (with one digital purchase) locally? You can do it online, of course, but then everyone needs an online account and I didn't set one up for my wife yet, only my daughter in our family plan.

Jun 1, 2018
it's absolutely awful that i can't even help her with the resources for the store. if she didn't tell me i wouldn't have even known

absolutely insane that you can't properly play this as a second player

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018

I have no idea why people insist on this strange obsession that because it was one way it should stay that way. Ffs buying a second switch is a complete different affair to buying a second game cart or a memory card. Why do people insist on defending this shit?

If your content with Nintendo short changing you and giving you a shit second player experience, or happy to buy a second switch, then more the power to you. But those of us that want Nintendo to do better will keep shouting about it.

Samoset

Oct 30, 2017
I really want them to just allow every player to do everything. I feel like they fixed this with Pokemon in not needing multiple carts for multiple play throughs this time. To go backwards with animal crossing is so strange. I hope that there is enough criticism that they can patch the game in some way to fix this.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's bizarre, he definitely sells it for me. I have all the basic tool recipes.
Can you buy stuff when in other people's islands, or did Nintendo lock that out for some ungodly reason? Because that could be an option..
I still have the tent store and the recipe is there. Maybe it changes when it gets upgraded?

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's important to call them out on this, but there is basically zero chance they fix this. They do not have a habit of changing their games post-release, just DLC addons.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just typical "Nintendo knows best" stuff
Really really put a damper on the excitement I had to join my GF in AC for the first time ever.
Now I am basically a workforce peasant living on her island while she makes all the decisions and such I can just run around and gather resources.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Have you figured a way to play (with one digital purchase) locally? You can do it online, of course, but then everyone needs an online account and I didn't set one up for my wife yet, only my daughter in our family plan.

Nope, unfortunately I think online is the only way, since local turns off MP and Nintendo can't verify you own the license. I might invest in a family plan

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Easily the weakest aspect of the game i've noticed so far. All this push for only 1 island per console and yet any other player of said console gets screwed.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
This fucking sucks. My girlfriend really wanted to play too. Now I feel like we have to buy a second Switch.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I M P O R T A N T W A R N I N G

ANTI CONSUMER PRACTICES

THIS IS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO GAMERS

they already made millions on this game pals, pack it up.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't affect me personally, but the way they've messed this up so badly is really frustrating. I can understand the shared island thing even if it feels like a bad idea; what I can't really get is being so punishing about the later players. They get less resources and have to pay for everything the first player gets for free? Would it be so bad to at least mail them all the DIY recipes or something as soon as the first player gets them, instead of charging for it?

Stuff like that feels so easy to be better about even if they really want to force the island representative thing.