• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Instead of making very very slight improvements or fixing one of the most beloved aspects of Animal Crossing, they should remove it all together?
"very very slight improvements"

The series has changed. It's not aimless enough to support everyone having the exact same experience in one town anymore. It has a story now, and that story is for one person only.

You cannot all be mayor. You cannot all have control. There is a zero-sum decision to be made in all this, and ending sharing a town is the sacrifice that would solve all of the other complications:
- each account would have discrete saves for NSO cloud backups
- each account would have their own private sandbox with absolute power
- progression would revolve around a singular person, so everyone gets the same experience

You're asking for improvement without compromise. There is an obvious path they didn't take due to their attachment to the series's history of sharing towns, but people are angry enough that they'll take it in future entries.

The real question here is if it's even technologically feasible to overhaul how saves work for this game and switch to this solution with a patch.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
We all know Nintendo won't change this.

This isn't a mistake. This isn't something they didn't thought. This is a conscious design decision.

Nintendo "knows" best. They know how they want you to play the games they made. They like to force certain play styles for their games.

Oct 27, 2017

The series has changed. It's not aimless enough to support everyone having the exact same experience in one town anymore. It has a story now, and that story is for one person only.

You cannot all be mayor. You cannot all have control. There is a zero-sum decision to be made in all this, and ending sharing a town is the sacrifice that would solve all of the other complications:
- progression would revolve around a singular person, so everyone gets the same experience

You're asking for improvement without compromise. There is an obvious path they didn't take due to their attachment to the series's history of sharing towns, but people are angry enough that they'll take it in future entries.

The real question here is if it's even technologically feasible to overhaul how saves work for this game and switch to this solution with a patch.
This is basically an elaboration of what I said earlier. I bet they would have never included shared islands in this game if it hadn't been a feature previously in the series. Too many mechanics are now tied to a specific player's progression for sharing to work the way everyone wants it to.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard that the second player won't get any "requests" from animals such as delivering something or visiting someones home, they also apparently won't be given any gifts from the animals. Does anyone know if that's true or is it misinformation?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think they'd at least offer something like a unified DIY catalogue between profiles.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
We all know Nintendo won't change this.

This isn't a mistake. This isn't something they didn't thought. This is a conscious design decision.

Nintendo "knows" best. They know how they want you to play the games they made. They like to force certain play styles for their games.
some of us think the artist knows best. we're certainly in the minority and we're probably wrong, but we exist

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

Compromise is exactly what I'm asking for.

I understood the cloud save issue.
I understood the online restrictions.
I understood the single-island per console.

All of this with the assumption that sharing an island, which is what Nintendo is encouraging, would not be a reduced experience if shared with more than one person. I don't think this is an unfair assumption.

Looking at the other comments throughout the internet, even in this thread alone, you'll see that sharing a village in Animal Crossing has been a major part of the player experience. It's one of the things that people love about the game and one of the benefits of it returning to consoles. Nintendo talked up sharing a village with other profiles in their Direct but as you admit, they did not warn of any gameplay downgrades for the other players.

Is it really so surprising that family members and significant others are sad that they cannot share the full experience together? That they're surprised and let down?

I'd love some sort of compromise to be included. I think letting multiple villagers participate in island projects should be fair but if it's not, then let me relinquish that title to my girlfriend. She can take over.

Even if you think Animal Crossing is, or should, change to become a single-person experience, I think it's fair to say that they should have warned players that these changes were coming. The fact that they didn't is what led to the shock and upset reactions that we're seeing everywhere today.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which ones? The tools and other stuff she's unlocked are purchasable from the Nooklings
Did you try looking in the store/resident services for them?
Y'all got my hopes up for a second.

Just logged in to check. Nope. There's a new recipe for a ladder and one I can buy that gives me a couple things like a wooden bookshelf and outside swing. GF has been getting new residents set up all morning and has things like an Apple chair, iron chair and table, tiki torches, a real bed, a TONS more. None of which I can get for myself.

If a workaround is discovered for this please @me with haste.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I've heard that the second player won't get any "requests" from animals such as delivering something or visiting someones home, they also apparently won't be given any gifts from the animals. Does anyone know if that's true or is it misinformation?
that's 1000% horseshit. if it's true I'll apologize, rescind my previous stances, and sign any petition you put in front of me

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

Just logged in to check. Nope. There's a new recipe for a ladder and one I can buy that gives me a couple things like a wooden bookshelf and outside swing. GF has been getting new residents set up all morning and has things like an Apple chair, iron chair and table, tiki torches, a real bed, a TONS more. None of which I can get for myself.

I think (and it is just a thought unfortunately) that they're also included in the DIY bundles in the shop

edit: dp sorry

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
Since I'm the secondary citizen, off the top of my head after Day 3:
- paid 98.000 loan back, no bridge recipe
- never got a request to deliver something or visit someone
- never got a visit from an animal invited to the island from a random island
(then again, maybe on Day 4? I'm new to AC...)

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rather than rebalance the game so two people can equally contribute to one village, would it really have been THAT hard to, at the very start, ask new players "hey do you wanna move into an existing village (ps you'll be a glorified visitor) or create your own?" There's no conceivable technical reason why you couldn't have unique islands per user on a system, you could even emulate online visits between those islands via couch-co-op. Cause as-is, yeah, not being the "resident representative" on an island is basically only suitable for 4-year-olds.

...luckily we have two switches between my wife and I, and my kid is indeed 4. But this blows the wet one for a lot of other people.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
They must have done it to increase Switch sales, but the media doesn't care to call them on the limited functionality.

AFAIK, This is the way AC has always been, since the beginning. Everyone playing on that console shares the same island, so you can communicate via letters, gifts, and grief each other. So it would be a huge departure for the series if each player on a console got their own island, and I'd wager there would also be a segment of gamers who would be upset about that too.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
It's the worst thing I've ever seen in an otherwise good game. I'm tempted to just delete my save so that my sister can actually enjoy playing it while she's stuck at home.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like what the hell is wrong with Nintendo to design it this way? Its like they want to force people to buy a second copy and a second Switch. Completely imbecilic.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was so in love with this game last night but now I'm just feeling blah about everything. Lots of enthusiasm evaporated as these issues have come more to the forefront.

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
This was the exact reason I got my girl a switch for Christmas, like I accounted for it in my 2019 budgeting lmao. I know that she's rabid when it comes to AC and I didn't want to chance co-op on one console

I get it nintendo, you want us to buy multiple switches but come on lmao..

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I'm happy you made this thread. I let my wife play first and now I dont even know if I'm going to play since she started her island first.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Wow that's terrible. I thought that it would be at least some kind of cooperative experience.

That guarantees that I'll never play the game then, since my SO is the bigger fan of the franchise and will have dibs whenever we get the game.

Oct 27, 2017
- paid 98.000 loan back, no bridge recipe
- never got a request to deliver something or visit someone
- never got a visit from an animal invited to the island from a random island
I've been playing by myself, also on Day 4, and haven't gotten either of these. IIRC you get bridge recipe from inviting new islanders to live on your island, not from paying your house expansion loan back (could be mistaken though)

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Compromise is exactly what I'm asking for.

I understood the cloud save issue.
I understood the online restrictions.
I understood the single-island per console.

All of this with the assumption that sharing an island, which is what Nintendo is encouraging, would not be a reduced experience if shared with more than one person. I don't think this is an unfair assumption.

Looking at the other comments throughout the internet, even in this thread alone, you'll see that sharing a village in Animal Crossing has been a major part of the player experience. It's one of the things that people love about the game and one of the benefits of it returning to consoles. Nintendo talked up sharing a village with other profiles in their Direct but as you admit, they did not warn of any gameplay downgrades for the other players.

Is it really so surprising that family members and significant others are sad that they cannot share the full experience together? That they're surprised and let down?

I'd love some sort of compromise to be included. I think letting multiple villagers participate in island projects should be fair but if it's not, then let me relinquish that title to my girlfriend. She can take over.

Even if you think Animal Crossing is, or should, change to become a single-person experience, I think it's fair to say that they should have warned players that these changes were coming. The fact that they didn't is what led to the shock and upset reactions that we're seeing everywhere today.
I used to be like you. I used to care about the old games, and how things used to be. But around the time of the New Horizons Direct, I realized that the series has changed dramatically.

Again, I point to the fact that secondary players have just as much available to them as any player did in the classic games. If it were truly about that traditional experience, it's long gone. Animal Crossing is a game now, with progression, and fetch quests, and missions and structure, and you can't all dink around in it together with a cat piano BGM and a single oscillator square wave bassline in 480i resolution.

You want to have the same experience, but you can't. If you could, Nintendo would've done it. Full stop. You can't all be mayor, and that is in fact an unreasonable desire. The people who wanted each account to have a single island with a single player were right all along, damn it, but at the time I vied against them.

There is a silver bullet that will finish Animal Crossing's transformation into the modern series everyone seems to want it to be. And I'd rather they further commit to their modern design ideology that leave behind a pathetic, outdated reminder of the idiosyncratic experiment it used to be.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
IIRC you get bridge recipe from inviting new islanders to live on your island, not from paying your house expansion loan back (could be mistaken though)
Don't know either but looked it up on a guide and apparently you should get the bridge recipe after paying that loan and talking to the little nook. Didn't happen for me.
I've invited animals Day 1, when do they show up? Random?

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I'm lucky my GF didn't really liked the game and just enjoys watching me play.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know either but looked it up on a guide and apparently you should get the bridge recipe after paying that loan and talking to the little nook.
I didn't get invited animals (well, the first one) showing up till today (day 4), but I got the bridge recipe yesterday I think. There's a whole thing where you see Nook on the phone with them and telling you to prepare stuff for him. I think the game just no longer works as a shared experience. Too many things are tied to a progression system that was clearly designed with only 1 person per island in mind

Or rather, the intended shared experience is for the second player to just live in the preopulated world as essentially a glorified "NPC", not drive its development

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Correction for everybody claiming it's the same as New Leaf.

New Leaf clearly designates a Mayor, you know the first player will have Mayor duties. There's no real distinction when starting a game on New Horizons as a second player, you just start to notice that Tom Nook won't talk to you..
...and New Leaf also clearly lets player villagers contribute to projects! There's a shared community.

Let me clear this up.
The 3DS, a console not known for local MP, has a better local MP experience.

What the fuck Nintendo.
I'm sure when the island building stuff is mostly over and it shifts to standard Animal Crossing, the divide won't be as noticeable, but what happens if the 1st player gets bored and stops playing before we get there? There's no way to "upgrade" the second player..

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I just thought of a reason they won't do the "One island per profile" idea. Nintendo REALLY doesn't want you to cheat at this game, as it kind of ruins the long-term fun of it. They want to encourage communication between players, so you'd be able to mail presents and visit each other's islands, presumably. If they allowed secondary accounts to each have their own island, people would use that ability to "farm" shit up the wazoo and transfer it to the "real" island. Sure, you can do that with multiple Switches but they probably assume that's farther than most people are willing to go just to cheat.

Now I'm sure some of you're probably thinking '"Who gives a shit if people cheat" but clearly Nintendo does and their opinion is the only one that counts in this matter.

either go with it or move on.

Basically.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's terrible. I thought that it would be at least some kind of cooperative experience.

That guarantees that I'll never play the game then, since my SO is the bigger fan of the franchise and will have dibs whenever we get the game.

Its still really cooperative. One the best moments was my wife was shaking trees and a wasps nest fell, I had my net ready and I captured the wasps before they could sting anyone.

Another helpful aspect is that my wife went on her own expedition to a deserted island where she was able to get the iron nuggets our island needed to build Nook's Cranny. She also invited Audie to our island. Without her help that would not have happened yesterday.

She was also able to do the Gulliver quest even though I already did it. Gulliver said his communicator broke again so she had to go and find the parts. It's kind of weird how Nintendo will duplicate that quest, but not do it for things like Nook's Cranny or the bridge. Just let it be first come first serve or at least allow the Primary Player to assign this task to another resident.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not players have separate save/setting per profile? Par for course for Nintendo of course

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm the primary resident and my wife has gotten a variety of recipes I don't have from Nook Mileage, talking to villagers, and bottles on the beach.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Correction for everybody claiming it's the same as New Leaf.

New Leaf clearly designates a Mayor, you know the first player will have Mayor duties. There's no real distinction when starting a game on New Horizons as a second player, you just start to notice that Tom Nook won't talk to you..
...and New Leaf also clearly lets player villagers contribute to projects! There's a shared community.

This isn't strictly true. You are designated the Resident Representative. It's something kind of tossed off, but you are given a unique title. It says "Resident Rep." on your Passport under your picture

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Don't know either but looked it up on a guide and apparently you should get the bridge recipe after paying that loan and talking to the little nook. Didn't happen for me.
You have to build the bridge and then the lots for new animals to arrive.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Previous AC games, specifically New Leaf, should have been warning enough. Also, pretty sure you can buy DIY shit through the stores, the stuff you get as Island Rep goes up for sale in packs there, with tools being seperate.

Also, what they're missing out on is literally placing new buildings and that's pretty much it? It's not like you're missing out on the core of the experience. You still get to PLAY Animal Crossing as you always could. You have your own house, you can craft and decorate the town etc. It's not like you'll be placing new town buildings in perpetuity. Are people getting mad that the person creating the island gets to name it, too? It's pretty much the same issue.

I'm assuming the terraforming stuff might be locked to the Island Rep as well, but I'm not 100% sure. That seems like the only thing that actually sucks. I'm playing with my wife and she's had absolutely zero issues with it so far. Online is also great outside of the kinda long loading time for someone joining in, but I don't know what the issue is outside of that, so people lumping that in there seems weird.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Dumb question..how exactly do you make a second player for your island? I don't see an option.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This isn't strictly true. You are designated the Resident Representative. It's something kind of tossed off, but you are given a unique title. It says "Resident Rep." on your Passport under your picture
I wasn't awake when my roommate started the game, so I was unaware of such a title being given to her. The other animals don't refer to her that way either.
Seems more like a last minute distinction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can you even view somebody else's passport from within the game?
Dumb question..how exactly do you make a second player for your island? I don't see an option.
You create a new account on the Switch itself, and then launch the game with the new account instead of yours.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is kind of sad and insane, considering the roots of animal crossing. The game was literally meant for multiple person homes to have multiple people play it together.But it feels like it's some kind of afterthought in this game.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I call this the Day 3 Problem.

My 12 yo was hardcore addicted to this game but when he found out I'm always going to have a ton of DIY stuff he can't have, including a bunch of cool interior decorations, it deflated him.

Yeah I can help, but he can't put down bridges, he will likely not be able to terraform. He is restricted in a game with heavy amounts of freedom. It's kind of depressing and I feel bad for him.

That's kind of how I feel. I was super excited for this game. My wife is primary and I Just don't have motivation to really play because I don't have any agency (from my profile). Of course we can play together and plan together which is great but it's obviously an incomplete experience for whoever the second player is.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm the primary resident and my wife has gotten a variety of recipes I don't have from Nook Mileage, talking to villagers, and bottles on the beach.
That's great, but doesn't compare at all to the amount of recipes you get being the primary resident and just progressing through the game.

This wasn't an issue until this morning when the differences became so jarring. I don't even feel like playing the game anymore.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Actually when they ask you to do things for the town they do make reference to it
Wait what? What things for the town?
I don't get to do things for the town, at least not yet. I can't contribute to town projects at all. I'm the second player in this scenario, and my roommate keeps a different schedule so we're usually playing the game at different times of day.

Do you have a specific example? This sounds like something I must've missed or haven't gotten to yet.