• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Anecdotally, I don't know too many people who share 1 Switch because of how impractical it is to share a handheld.

The biggest issue here is one of communication, I feel. The primary player should've had a more serious title and explicit role, like founder as I suggested above. Or, a more popular decision would be to not let people share islands, but give each account its own island and save

Maybe not on this forum, but switch sharing is pretty common. I don't really play it much undocked and for that reason it is really just another console in my household. I know it can be used in handheld form but Nintendo didn't really sell it as a handhold only device. I think it would have made more sense to maybe make the second player have their own island right next to the first players island and you could easily boat across or something. There are a lot of ways Nintendo could have made the game more local co-op friendly but they chose not to. I think that is my biggest issue with Nintendo, a lot of their long running franchise don't innovate very much sequel to sequel. They certainly do add new features, but not nearly as much as we expect from other 1st part developers in subsequent sequels of a franchise.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
It really sucks but it has been known for awhile. I got the game primarily for my daughter but I want to play some too but I don't want to go in and do things on her island (after all her phrase is "It's my paradise and I can do whatever I want.") . It really should be one island per account.
ding ding ding, this is the cold, cynical, pragmatic, absolutely 100% correct solution that no one likes to acknowledge

since we found out about the save situation people have refused to accept that sharing an island and having an island with all of its features to yourself are mutually exclusive

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
Wait...if she buys her own Switch, I'd have to delete my entire island just so she could start a new one?

There's no way that's true.

That basically leaves all of the people who are discovering this issue with no reasonable alternative option.

Sorry, that's not what I was saying. I'm saying there's no way for to export her profile, and even if there were, it doesn't sound like there'd be any associated progress to export.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this would be the case, that's why I was so disappointed to hear about the forced shared island.
This is really punishing indeed.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
The restrictions on co-op are... odd, to say the least, but my wife and I have had a hell of a lot of fun fucking around together.

That said, it did end up convincing her that she needs her own Switch... because it's a bit too restrictive.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think having multiple people driving the progression of the island makes much sense, and in some cases it would make no sense at all, as the island representative chooses where shops go, names the island, etc

I think it's interesting that second players have everything that players of old Animal Crossing games did but nowadays it's not enough to satisfy anyone
A game that sells itself on community-based features and a shared experience has a reductive experience for one of those people. No one should be surprised by the responses here.

"Not enough to satisfy anyone" really trivializes and minimizes why people are upset here. Nintendo disallowed multiple islands per console right? So it's fair to assume that they are encouraging a shared experience of progression if they are pushing you to share the same island. Reducing one of the villagers to simply resource mining and leaving no alternative opinions is really lousy.

My complaints are not unreasonable at all.

...and now we apparently need to nuke our island and start over if she is to buy her own Switch console?

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
I'm guessing because reviewers played a solo island coupled with the fact most people didn't notice it until after a few days of gameplay.
This being my first AC and my kid being the "primary" citizen, game started to feel shallow for me on the third day without any kind of events or challenges. Just visiting other random islands and collecting a shit ton of samey stuff whereas when I was checking out the OT all that "stuff era was talking about" should have happened. Seems I don't get the full experience.
I am not mad, just disappointed and feel that it should have been addressed/advertised from Nintendo officially. There's literally just one full experience per console and not per account.

iirc only the 1st player gets access to landscaping too
Welp, I am basically out, right now!

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotally, I don't know too many people who share 1 Switch because of how impractical it is to share a handheld.

The biggest issue here is one of communication, I feel. The primary player should've had a more serious title and explicit role, like founder as I suggested above. Or, a more popular decision would be to not let people share islands, but give each account its own island and save

The problem with that is the Switch isn't a handheld. At least not exclusively, I'd be interested to see the statistics on how many people share it because I'm sure it would be the majority of owners. I agree that each account should have it's own island though, that would have been the simplest solution but it doesn't surprise me Nintendo chose not to do so.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
There was a thread about it yesterday or Saturday but it was closed. I found it difficult to understand that these elements weren't mentionned in any review.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I like it because I share it with my kids but I want to have my own progression, but the answer is everyone having their own progression. There also should be a way to "lock" the state of the island for other profiles, my son chopped down every single tree yesterday not knowing they don't grow back. The critterpedia is broken too because other profiles catching things fills it out.

It just sucks that Nintendo always has to be so backwards with stuff like this.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Oh damn. I intended this game for my partner mainly but I setup the island. We really gotta restart it now? This may make them lose interest altogether starting again :(

I'd love to just transfer "primary" status if I can..

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Can you have different islands and be full fledged players on your own island, and visit each other? Whatever about sharing an island, I hope that's at least still possible... iirc it was a key part of the original AC vision, to get families playing and 'communicating' together in new ways in the game.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The problem with that is the Switch isn't a handheld. At least not exclusively, I'd be interested to see the statistics on how many people share it because I'm sure it would be the majority of owners. I agree that each account should have it's own island though, that would have been the simplest solution but it doesn't surprise me Nintendo chose not to do so.
Yeah that's not a great anecdote. The Switch sells itself on being a console that also acts as a handheld. Literally everyone in my direct life has multiple profiles on their Switch and at the very least shares it with a bf/gf/wife/husband.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I agree with the general sentiment but I'm not sure about the recipe thing. I'm the primary player and my partner has some recipes that I don't have.

This is the same for me and my gf as well--she has a fair amount of stuff I don't have, and she's been mostly getting asked to do stuff by villagers/Gulliver etc. We haven't run into anything she can't do besides contribute to the store, but we're sitting at home playing together so we just play MP and both experience the dialogue/etc. It hasn't been a dealbreaker at all, for us personally.

Apr 21, 2018
I don't understand why every person in the town doesn't have access to all the DIY recipes. It sounds really crippling to not be able to craft essential tools, only because someone else was the one to get the recipe first.

That would be an easy patch and something they should definitely fix.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll share what I posted earlier in the OT about our sharing experience. While I knew we were sharing an island and even looked forward to it, the restrictions were a blindside.

The family Switch sharing experience has a lot of drawbacks, but thankfully it isn't as bad as the rumors let on yesterday. I told my wife to create her character first so she is the "ambassador" or whatever, and that means she is the only one that can "move the town forward". She has to talk to Nook or Blathers to get stuff built, but I was able to donate the required number of items to Blathers. I just couldn't get the ball rolling after that, or choose the plots for new buildings...or contribute to building them. So in order to improve the town I have to either ask her or log on her profile. I imagine this will even out as the game ages, but I'm almost certain I'll never be able to terraform on my profile. If only her profile can operate common town functions then its going to get old fast.

The "splitscreen" multiplayer is fun but clunky and strange. You can't even use your tool wheel if you are not the leader, so I have to cycle through like 7 tools if I had duplicates (easy when they break so quickly). Switching the leader is very easy, and I noticed it literally swaps what profile is playing the game, according to the Switch. Very odd when you normally have to close a game completely! Unless you are the leader literally everything you touch gets sent to that box in the resident center, but its quite quick to swap leader and drop/pick up items for who needs them. You also get Nook Miles credit as a secondary player, but you can't check them or redeem them unless you are swapped to leader. It would be nice to visit random islands as a team, but nope - not possible.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
A game that sells itself on community-based features and a shared experience has a reductive experience for one of those people. No one should be surprised by the responses here.

"Not enough to satisfy anyone" really trivializes and minimizes why people are upset here. Nintendo disallowed multiple islands per console right? So it's fair to assume that they are encouraging a shared experience of progression if they are pushing you to share the same island. Reducing one of the villagers to simply resource mining and leaving no alternative opinions is really lousy.

My complaints are not unreasonable at all.

...and now we apparently need to nuke our island and start over if she is to buy her own Switch console?
lol no to the bolded, that poster tried to clarify too. Your island will be fine. The other secondary player just won't be able to transfer and will start fresh.

And jeez, I was just thinking out loud about how simple the classic Animal Crossing games are. Secondary players in New Horizons have a house, a mortgage, fishing and bug catching. And in the old games, that was it. The series has changed a lot

Finally I don't know what gave the impression that the game "sells itself on community-based features;" as you've discovered, that isn't the case at all. Besides everyone chipping in to the museum and going to the same shop, I don't know what community-oriented experience you were expecting.

All in all, I think they should've made clear that the original player is the "real" founder and the secondary players are secondary, or instead used the 1 player, 1 island per account setup that everyone seemingly wanted them to

edit:
Next time I play I'm dumping a bunch of mats in front of the GF's house so she can build me stuff.

Very not ideal.
hol up, you can still build stuff dude

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
So my options are:

1) Delete the entire island, start over with her as the "primary" villager

2) Delete the entire island, save up for a second Switch, each start new separate islands per console

3) Because more and more people are realizing this today, hope that it picks up enough Steam that Nintendo offers some reasonable option to resolve this since they did warn of reduced features for sharing an island on the same Switch. This is fair to expect but not realistic considering the games sales or Nintendo's track record (see: Mario Maker)

That's it?

We can't buy a new Switch then have her character move out of my island? Do we really have to nuke everything??

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not excusing this because it's completely short-sighted and awful, but this is the main reason why I got my GF her own Switch Lite so we could both play AC and get the full experience.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why every person in the town doesn't have access to all the DIY recipes. It sounds really crippling to not be able to craft essential tools, only because someone else was the one to get the recipe first.

I think it has to do with sharing an island not being the intended way to play, especially now that the game has actual progression systems. There'd be no way to appease people who would want to share and piggybag off the work of the other player vs people who want entirely separate experiences, just on the same island. So I think the developers went with a sort of halfway approach that ends up letting down both groups.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

the DIY recipes are purchasable from the nooklings after the primary player unlocks them. I had a friend who's a day behind visit and purchase the ladder recipe early, for instance.

...wait ...guys. please tell me you knew about this and you're mad about the other stuff

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The current system is 'working' for us so far since I do all of the major quest-based stuff, and my wife loves to fish, collect/turn in fossils, etc., but I also feel like I can't do everything I want because I want to leave stuff for her later, like the aforementioned dig spots, watering her flowers, etc. Not being able to have discrete islands on the same system just feels greedy to me on Nintendo's part under the guise of 'playing together'.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. It's honestly quite shocking, and a bone headed idea.

My wife is primary and I'm secondary and it definitely feels that way. Luckily she's playing more than me and has more progress, otherwise I'd go insane waiting.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
So my options are:

1) Delete the entire island, start over with her as the "primary" villager

2) Delete the entire island, save up for a second Switch, each start new separate islands per console

3) Because more and more people are realizing this today, hope that it picks up enough Steam that Nintendo offers some reasonable option to resolve this since they did warn of reduced features for sharing an island on the same Switch. This is fair to expect but not realistic considering the games sales or Nintendo's track record (see: Mario Maker)

That's it?

We can't buy a new Switch then have her character move out of my island? Do we really have to nuke everything??
You only have to restart if you want to. Option 2 should be:
Purchase a second Switch and copy of the game, she starts a new town, you remove her user from your existing town, which remains otherwise unchanged.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Shame for Nintendo that they're doing this to push the sale of Switches at a time when stores have no more Switches.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
What DIY recipes do they not have access too? Any of the ones you earn through the main progression can just be bought from Timmy (hit R when you're buying stuff from him).

The building contribution stuff is definitely annoying though, and the landscaping.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
The (basic at least) tool recipes can be brought at the shop.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
In New Leaf could your co-villagers do mayor stuff?
Nope. Its the same here.

If you have a digital copy OP you can both play the same copy online together at the same time with a second switch FYI.
My wife and I have been playing together on our switches using a single copy and having a blast. They added some really neat features
too like you can send letters to other players not in your town and even attach items as well.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Play local co-op and swap leaders as needed for making progress with buildings and Nook Miles as needed. This is how my SO and I are playing and it works super well. We see all the funny interactions we each have with NPCs, advance our town together, and help each other with meeting individual goals like saving up to buy or craft furniture. I've been impressed with how seamless the local co-op is. I highly recommend it for playing with your SO though it does have some limitations.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Based on the backlash, I'm betting that this is the last Animal Crossing game in which players can share a town

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Its pretty lame. I'm lucky in that I've played enough Animal Crossing that I'm okay letting my partner take the lead as "mayor," but the extra hurdles we have to jump through are totally unnecessary.

Apr 21, 2018
the DIY recipes are purchasable from the nooklings after the primary player unlocks them. I had a friend who's a day behind visit and purchase the ladder recipe early, for instance.

...wait ...guys. please tell me you knew about this and you're mad about the other stuff

I did not know that, but I'm a single-island user who hasn't even tried online so I'm rather isolated that way.
Although what your telling me means it's not so bad. Those recipes are cheap.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up buying two copies of the game. I play on the Lite and my sister plays on the family Switch.

^But that's priviledged as fuck. Most people don't have two Switch's let alone buy the same 60 dollar game twice in a single house hold. Shouldn't have to do that.

Jan 29, 2018
My wife is the 1st player, so far I noticed I wasn't able to contribute resources to hff ave the shop built, the shop wasn't even mentioned to me. If she's going to get DiY recipes that I won't that really sucks.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yep, I call this the Day 3 Problem.

My 12 yo was hardcore addicted to this game but when he found out I'm always going to have a ton of DIY stuff he can't have, including a bunch of cool interior decorations, it deflated him.

Yeah I can help, but he can't put down bridges, he will likely not be able to terraform. He is restricted in a game with heavy amounts of freedom. It's kind of depressing and I feel bad for him.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if they let you choose the kind of access another player has. And of course each profile should have their own island. Has there been any kind of thorough interview explaining these choices? I'm guessing with the island Nintendo didn't want one person creating a ton of different islands on 1 Switch and just traveling all around them and taking advantage. But they can't stop people from time traveling so they might as well just give up that fight.

In spite of these limitations, my wife and I are having a ball. She was still able to contribute to the donations so Blathers could open his museum, she was the one to put him over the top. She also invited an Animal from one of those deserted islands to our island.

And the core of the game, playing at your own pace, building out a space of your own, and progressing your character are still there. If you include the other residents when you are advancing the Island then you can take some of the sting away. They can still help with supplies it's just the main person that has to talk to Tom Nook.

No reason think Nintendo will fix this, but I'm going to keep hoping anyway.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
Based on the backlash, I'm betting that this is the last Animal Crossing game in which players can share a town
Would that be unreasonable? I mean you could still visit the islands of your family members' accounts sharing one Switch and help by leaving stuff there, sending gifts, etc.. Then again, I am late in realising this and it has probably been discussed ad nauseam...