• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
KI51RMeh.jpg

Preface bias on tastes in in Ys' and Kiseki/Trails because they are controversial these days.
Ys' - I love Oath & Origin, VI is alright, VII/Celceta/VIII I do not like and find them boring
Trails/Kiseki - I love them until Cold Steel which I feel was a mess, a mishap and CS4 blew the finale

Coming from CS4 and Ys VIII before that, my opinion of Falcom was not great. I'd picked up Ys' IX - Monstrum Nox - last year when it came out, but Falcom games had fallen from "day 1" to toss it in my backlog and play at some point for me. Cut to Covid-quarantine backlog catchup, and catching up on Link's Awakening a couple weeks ago, and that gave me a bit of a Ys' adventure feel (seriously, replace Link with Adol in that game and you have a Ys' story). So afterwards, I felt in the mood for some Ys' and it was time to finally play this for better or worse.

Turns out not only did I love Ys' IX, but it's given me faith in Falcom as a developer and writer again after some staleness. Now I'm looking forward to Hajimari no Kiseki again, whereas I was ambivalent about it a month ago.

7scvTmZh.jpg

Ys' IX is honestly more a spiritual new country entry of Trails than it is a Ys' game and this is going to piss some people off.

When Ys' changed from a fast paced single character action platformer arpg to a longer party based loot game with Ys' VII, it split a lot of fans, myself included. Ys' VIII tried to change once again by taking this new style of Ys' and making it really long and talky at 40+ hours and adding tower defense. To me while VIII was definitely influenced by Falcom's Trails of franchise, Ys' VIII still felt like a Ys' story and a Ys' adventure just with a whole lot of dialogue & cutscenes. To me the writing & story quality felt fairly similar to the rest of the Ys' games just a bit better written. But the core of the scenario/cast still felt like the dialogue/cutscenes were focused on giving Adol reasons to explore and hit things, not focused on providing story & character drama. As a result of the general style of Ys' plots & character writing, I've never found any of the Ys' stories or characters particularly memorable. They were good enough to service my enjoyment of slashing things but that was about it.

Ys' IX's writing quality is night & day from traditional Ys' writing.

Rather than the story being there to service the action and exploration. Ys' IX is a story & character drama first where the action and adventure is secondary and exist to service the character development drama & feels.

If you've played a Trails game, Ys' IX structurally plays almost exactly like one. It's a slow slice of life paced chapter-based story where you do slice of life sidequests to develop the setting, the NPCs and the main cast. Through the episodic questing hints of the political instability and magical/supernatural mysteries are dropped and those are slowly filled in while developing the cast, until in the endgame everything comes together and everything is connected and payoffs off satisfyingly.

The structure of the scenario with political and magical in a country that connect current events to past history is so similar in design to a Trails scenario, that they could have taken Adol out of this and just made it one of the Trails arcs for one of the smaller countries that they haven't covered and they almost wouldn't have to change a thing. You could describe Ys' IX's scenario as Adol wanders into a Trails of country. (although here it's mostly restricted to one city, but that's not that far from the Crossbell games though the scope here as a single game is smaller).

Scenario-wise I'd say the only things missing from your standard Trails country arc are a cast of villains that match up 1:1 with the heroes and that Ys' IX is slightly less epic in scope. In terms of world changing finales I'd put the scope and excitement somewhere between an FC game and trails SC game. Plot-wise Ys' IX's scenario even lines up mostly as a Trails FC and SC scenario all in one 40 hour game, but going into that is spoilerish.

frCyB7Wh.jpg

So since the game is character drama and story based rather than combat/gameplay-based. How's the cast?

Great! It's a really good main rpg party cast that are likeable and interesting and all dealing with their own personal issues. They gel together well and by the end you'll walk away missing them. Been a while since I've played a jrpg with a good party cast like this.

The story itself is fairly good in jrpg terms too. It's intelligent and filled with smart characters who act in believable ways. They're generally less cliche which has always been one of Falcom's strengths. The characters, and even the support NPCs (who are very good & interesting characters as well) feel like actual people living in a real city instead of just videogame archetypes. There's also the kind of mysteries you'd expect from a Trails game and a good amount of twists in the endgame. The story overall is interesting and ends well.

By having an interesting story with a great developed cast and setting, Ys' IX became the first Ys' game ever that I cared about the story and wouldn't rather just be skipping cutscenes to get back to the action. In a lot of ways Ys' IX feels like a soft reboot of the franchise. It still has a lot of callbacks to the previous games, but it also feels like a fresh start for newcomers in establishing a character and world based story series. There's even some nice setups for future games in other regions.

7lNz6iTh.jpg

To badly translate Dogi here talking about Ys IX's adventure compared to previous Ys' games:

Exploring mountains and oceans are nice, but this time, this might be a different kind of nice too

UKviHF4h.jpg

Ok, how's the gameplay? This is a Ys' game after all.

It's good. The game plays pretty similar to VIII and the last few party rock/paper/scissors based games. The main difference is that the dungeons have much better level design than ever before (at least since VII -> current). This is because the game gives the player traversal platforming abilities and as you get a new party member you gain their traversal ability. Then when you do the next dungeon it will be designed to focus on using that traversal ability as well as the previous ones you've gotten. It's not quite Zelda and there aren't puzzles and platforming that will have you scratch your head, but it's fun and mixes up the skill spam enough to make the dungeons the most fun they've been in years.

All the characters are fun to play as and each has a bunch of skills as usual. There's a solid amount of dungeons and throughout town there's little portals that if you walk into they'll turn into a 10-30 second battle right there with no loading if you just feel like jumping into the action (and you'll need to grind these a bit if you want to 100% the game).

Boss fights are solid. Each dungeon usually has a mid-boss and a final boss. There's some well designed ones including some cool 1 on 1 fights similar to a Vergil DMC fight (but not as good). I've always felt since VII that some occasional bosses have some questionable timing on the just guard/dodge, but that might just be me.

There's also the return of TOWER DEFENSE....yay :|
Well it's a bit better here. Not much, but a bit. It's better integrated into the actual plotline and it feels faster and easier maybe? Also I think there may be fewer missions total. Not sure on that. While I don't like tower defense at all in Ys' and feel like it's just thrown in because it's cheap to develop since there's no new assets and pads out the game length, I think Falcom could make the tower defense in Ys at least a little better by adding in a planning/building phase at the start where you can actually place decoys and other things where you want them.

I kept dying in a stupid mission near the end because even though I had like 4-5 decoys they were all automatically placed on one side of the base I was supposed to protect and a few groups of enemies would spawn on the other side and destroy the base in like 5 seconds before I could do anything. Well it turned out that if you fully max out the decoy upgrades you eventually have enough that it places them all around the base in 360 degrees, but if you could just place them yourself it'd be a better & more satisfying solution imo.

3njKVOUh.jpg

Assassin's Ys'?

Outside of the dungeons, bosses, tower defense, sidequesting and cutscenes, there's an Ubisoft-light sandbox city filled with collectibles to pick up and places to climb. The traversal abilities you get are a lot of fun and navigating around the city was a joy. I ended up 100%-ing the city (and basically the whole game)* just because it was so enjoyable collecting every blue feather. The mini-map is extra helpful too in showing all the landmarks and things to find.

Plus I want to give a shout out to the mini-map for making sure that you never miss a quest in the game. Coming from Trails and having to use spoiler-free wikis to make sure I still found all the hidden quests each chapter, this was nice. You can see the whole game world on the map and easily see all the sidequests at any time.

Compared to a modern ubigame sandbox, this is definitely about a decade behind in how basic it is, but hey, it's a fun little side thing and I haven't played any other Japanese game I can think of that tried to do the ubisoft sandbox thing, so it's fun and different.

*It's interesting looking at the trophy completion data for this game. 65% of players finished the whole 30-40 hour game and 30% did 100% of the content. For gaming in general that seems incredibly high and shows Falcom's fanbase are very dedicated.

0Doc9Ihh.jpg

The graphics are good in budget context. The environment is simple looking, but the characters look about as good as CS3/4 imo and better than past Ys games. The music is eh, alright. I feel Falcom has kind of phoned in CS4 & Ys' IX's osts. It's perfectly acceptable Ys' music but like CS4 there wasn't one standout track for me. Last Falcom game that I really loved some of the tracks was CS3 with the opening/final dungeon song and a few of the boss battle tracks. Ys' VIII also had a few great field tracks too. Maybe Hajimari no Kiseki will get their music back to the heights it used to be. That would be nice.

SgDFXyRh.jpg

In the end, through a lot of Ys' IX, I was still thinking "this is a good game for what it's doing, but it still doesn't compare to Oath/Origins"

But after finishing it Ys' IX -Monstrum Nox-, I think it's my favorite Ys' game in the franchise. Though with a caveat that Oath/Origins still have better gameplay than it. This may not be all Ys' fan's cup of tea, but for me and how I felt about the last few entries, Ys' IX did the unthinkable. It made me actually care about the story, cast and world of a Ys' game. Heck it had me researching the world lore from the past games to get a better idea of how everything fit together politically. I thought Ys' IX hit all the notes and things I want out of a Trails entry better than the entirety of Cold Steel did and I thought the cast here was better than Cold Steel's cast. I also think this has a better story than CS.

Overall I went into Ys' IX with low expectations and burnt out on Falcom, not expecting to like another Ys' game again until they changed the formula back to Oath/Origins/VI style or something new, and unexpectedly came out of this game with my favorite Trails game since Ao no Kiseki/Trails of the Azure. If you like the Trails games, Ys' IX should be a nice treat. If you don't like Trails, but like the Ys' games, or don't want Ys' to be Trails...I have no idea if you will like this, you may even hate this.

It was exactly the kind of game I wanted from Falcom and it made me walk away with a smile.

Addendum on Trails, CS and faith in Falcom storytelling ability (no actual game spoilers):
Ys' IX really makes me feel like Falcom have always been good writers/scenario designers, but that with Cold Steel doing a story arc over four games and a ton of years was just beyond their scope and development got out of control and it became to much of a mess to steer the ship back on track. Ys' IX shows me that Kondo and his team still know how to write good tales and they haven't dulled their talent. It's not their best story/writing, but it's good and I'll take good with potential for really great again. Hopefully Hajimari no Kiseki reinforces this next month as well with another good story. If they are back to pulling off good tales when they're not doing four game arcs, then I just hope to all the gods out there that when they do Calvard next they stick to a two game storyline max to tell the tale.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I had a few problems with Ys IX myself, but almost all of them just had to do with aspects of the game that felt tacked on from Ys VIII. I also felt that the game world itself was fairly boring to explore - Ys VIII had these fantastic, varied vistas to explore. Most of Ys IX's exploration is just the city, which can have performance issues, and most of it looks the same.

I'm surprised that you didn't mention, even in spoilers,
the prison tower Adol sections.

For my money, those are the best parts of the game, and I'm shocked that they're technically optional - even though they very much tie into the main narrative in the end. It reminded me of something like Brandish, and really had me pining for a new one of those...

OP
OP
Bebpo

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I had a few problems with Ys IX myself, but almost all of them just had to do with aspects of the game that felt tacked on from Ys VIII. I also felt that the game world itself was fairly boring to explore - Ys VIII had these fantastic, varied vistas to explore. Most of Ys IX's exploration is just the city, which can have performance issues, and most of it looks the same.

I'm surprised that you didn't mention, even in spoilers,
the prison tower Adol sections.

For my money, those are the best parts of the game, and I'm shocked that they're technically optional - even though they very much tie into the main narrative in the end. It reminded me of something like Brandish, and really had me pining for a new one of those...

I actually was pretty mixed on them. There were spots that felt fun and almost a throwback to old Ys' games or Brandish.

But I also felt some parts of them were very troll-ish where things were placed in just a way to likely instant kill you a few times until you memorize the instakill spots. Felt like a bad take on Dark Souls at times.

In the end they were short enough sections of the game I didn't really think they made the game any better or worse. I guess I liked them for some extra variety.

I think the mechanic they used in one dungeon where you play as both switching back and forth could've made for a more interesting regularly used mechanic instead of just a couple times.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued since our Ys and Trails tastes line up perfectly. If the writing is closer to Skies than Cold Steel, I'll be happy.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I actually was pretty mixed on them. There were spots that felt fun and almost a throwback to old Ys' games or Brandish.

But I also felt some parts of them were very troll-ish where things were placed in just a way to likely instant kill you a few times until you memorize the instakill spots. Felt like a bad take on Dark Souls at times.

In the end they were short enough sections of the game I didn't really think they made the game any better or worse. I guess I liked them for some extra variety.

I think the mechanic they used in one dungeon where you play as both switching back and forth could've made for a more interesting regularly used mechanic instead of just a couple times.

I guess I can see that, but I didn't really have any problems with it - I guess it stood out, since so much else about the game felt too derivative of Ys VIII for me?

Ys IX on PS4 reminds of Ys VIII on Vita. It just doesn't quite feel finished - I'm hoping that the PS5 hints Falcom have been dropping means we'll be getting a meaty update for the game down the line.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
I was already pretty hyped for this since I'm one of the people who've loved the party based games, but it's pretty nice to see someone speak more highly of the story this time since Ys has never been particularly strong on that front. Especially since I've never been able to get into the few Trails games I've played despite getting interested in the story/characters, I'd end up dropping them after about 15-ish hours just because I wasn't having any fun with the gameplay. That's actually why I was looking forward to Tokyo Xanadu quite a bit, since it seemed to be the best of both worlds, but in the end didn't quite pull of the story or the gameplay as well as Falcom's other series.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued since our Ys and Trails tastes line up perfectly. If the writing is closer to Skies than Cold Steel, I'll be happy.
Yeah this is me too. I don't really like any of the Cold Steel games, Origin/Oath are my favorite Ys (I do think Ys8 is pretty good and the best of the party-based Ys so far). So hearing that someone with similar overall opinions liked Monstrom Nox is interesting.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Oh yeah, Ys IX's story is fantastic. It doesn't have the best pacing, per-se, but there's more than a handful of moments that really stood out - and the ending moments, in particular, are incredibly inventive. I loved it.

OP
OP
Bebpo

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018

I don't know if I'd say it's closer to Skies, it's still pretty anime-ish like modern Falcom stuff. It doesn't have classrooms and the schoolgirl stereotypes and I think the political situation is more complex & grey area than most of the good guy/bad guy situations in CS. Idk, I liked the writing better than CS but I feel Skies still has a very unique low-key vibe that modern Falcom stuff isn't like anymore.

On a scale of Ys' ----- Trails overall the writing is much closer to Trails.

I was already pretty hyped for this since I'm one of the people who've loved the party based games, but it's pretty nice to see someone speak more highly of the story this time since Ys has never been particularly strong on that front. Especially since I've never been able to get into the few Trails games I've played despite getting interested in the story/characters, I'd end up dropping them after about 15-ish hours just because I wasn't having any fun with the gameplay. That's actually why I was looking forward to Tokyo Xanadu quite a bit, since it seemed to be the best of both worlds, but in the end didn't quite pull of the story or the gameplay as well as Falcom's other series.

Yeah, I liked Tokyo Xanadu but like you said the gameplay was a bit shallow compared to Ys and the story telling & setting a bit shallow compared to Trails. I think Ys' IX is definitely better gameplay & story/characters/setting than Tokyo Xanadu.

The only thing is the pacing is still pretty slow as it's paced more like a slower Trails slice of life questing game that builds up. I'd say it's faster paced than Tokyo Xanadu but you still might end up dropping it. Or maybe the action will keep you interested enough until the story takes off (although like most Trails games, the story doesn't take off until pretty far in).

Yeah this is me too. I don't really like any of the Cold Steel games, Origin/Oath are my favorite Ys (I do think Ys8 is pretty good and the best of the party-based Ys so far). So hearing that someone with similar overall opinions liked Monstrom Nox is interesting.

Oh yeah, Ys IX's story is fantastic. It doesn't have the best pacing, per-se, but there's more than a handful of moments that really stood out - and the ending moments, in particular, are incredibly inventive. I loved it.

A lot of people like Ys8 and I admit I'm in the minority on it. I just didn't find the story/characters/setting very interesting and the gameplay in the post Ys7 hasn't really grabbed me.

I feel like Ys9 takes Ys8's gameplay improves it with better level design & traversal abilities and pairs it with a much better story & cast. Since I wasn't digging the story/cast in Ys8, it was just a long drawn out slow paced Ys game, but now having a story that I'm interested in and NPCs & characters I want to interact with, the slow pace between the action works and kept me interested the whole time.

Falcom's pacing definitely has...issues in all their games now a days, but I was never bored in IX. The chapters are short enough that I felt it was always progressing. It was pretty easy to do an entire chapter in a night including all the side quests and main quest part of it and things would always move each chapter. I think the chapters that took me a couple of nights were when I went off grabbing collectibles and finding all the chests some nights.

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, thanks for sharing. I'm excited to play this next year.

Sad to hear the dumb tower defence stuff is back. I wasn't a fan of it in 8. Also a bummer about the OST. My opinion of CS4 isn't quite as low as yours (I actually liked it but CS is still my least favorite Trails arc) but I do agree that the OST was kind of weak. I also hope with Hajimari, Falcom Sound Team tries something new.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
This has me really hyped

Ys VIII was my first Ys game and I thought it was great but not amazing in any way so hearing some story improvements make me excited.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Nice, thanks for sharing. I'm excited to play this next year.

Sad to hear the dumb tower defence stuff is back. I wasn't a fan of it in 8. Also a bummer about the OST. My opinion of CS4 isn't quite as low as yours (I actually liked it but CS is still my least favorite Trails arc) but I do agree that the OST was kind of weak. I also hope with Hajimari, Falcom Sound Team tries something new.

I'd definitely say Ys IX has some standout tracks:

OP
OP
Bebpo

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I'd definitely say Ys IX has some standout tracks:

Yeah, I think the soundtrack is good and your post makes me think I should probably give the soundtrack a listen outside of in-game. It's just that Falcom Sound Team have had some really, really good music at times.

The tracks you posted are good, but to me they just sound like standard Ys music (which has always been good) and when VIII had songs with impact like this:

It just feels like their stuff lately has been kinda safe vs standout.

*edit* Actually the more I'm listening to the songs from IX, the more they're growing on me post-game haha.

Last edited:

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I was tempering my expectations for this game due to hearing some not—so-good things about it upon release, but damn does reading through this thread bring my hype back up. I liked ys8 and as someone who usually tends to play jrpgs for the stories and characters, hearing 9 kicks it up a notch on that front is exciting.

The gothic kinda aesthetic this one has going for it is pretty dope too

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd say it's closer to Skies, it's still pretty anime-ish like modern Falcom stuff. It doesn't have classrooms and the schoolgirl stereotypes and I think the political situation is more complex & grey area than most of the good guy/bad guy situations in CS. Idk, I liked the writing better than CS but I feel Skies still has a very unique low-key vibe that modern Falcom stuff isn't like anymore.

On a scale of Ys' ----- Trails overall the writing is much closer to Trails.

Hrm. What I liked about Skies' writing (especially 3rd) is that while it was wordy, it was also relatively restrained. Cold Steel lost me with the whole Rean/Alisa mess and while I soldiered on for another twenty hours, the entire cast felt incredibly stock and bland. And excessively polite.

I'm sure I'll like Ys IX for what it is. That's how I felt about Ys VIII (despite it being about ten hours too long).