• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Can't the democrats use the tweets from those two senators (or more) who twitted that the democrats proved their case and that the president did those things?

It's like saying it's proven that someone committed murder, but is not sufficient to convict them?
Trump himself could admit to doing those things in tomorrow's State of the Union address and wouldn't mean much, because the Republican majority doesn't believe that what he did was impeachable.

The only real question right now is how many Democrat senators are going to vote to acquit to protect their red state seats.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Can't the democrats use the tweets from those two senators (or more) who twitted that the democrats proved their case and that the president did those things?

It's like saying it's proven that someone committed murder, but is not sufficient to convict them?

Alexander's entire argument for not voting to convict is that he doesn't think it should be up to him (or the Senate) to remove a president, particularly in an election year. Which again is a cowardly stance because this isn't just about him running this year but for any public office ever again. If he believes the Democrats are correct and that they proved their case, that should be disqualifying at the very least in terms of him running in 2020. But because of his cowardice and that of other GOP Senators, they're going to acquit based on that philosophy. Which is infinitely more frustrating than just blindly saying he did nothing wrong or the Dems were unfair so none of this counts.

Here's a guy who's best attempt at an olive branch to people with two brain cells to rub together is that Trump was wrong and acted beneath the dignity of his office but he doesn't want the responsibility. Which if that's the case, he has no business being a Senator.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The founders feared this, but for the exact opposite reason he's saying

No one fucking feared their big strong leader being held accountable for his actions. They feared fuckers like the GOP installing a fucking dictator subverting the will of the people. And here we are

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so he's just going to ignore that they haven't invoked executive privilege. Not shocked

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm not body shaming or anything, but prior to this trial, I had only seen Sekulow from the chest up in controlled satellite interviews.

He literally looks like fucking Eggman.

Gabe323

Oct 18, 2019
Yeah I'm ready to back to Nervous Nancy and Shifty Schiff making Trump looking dumb in those meetings and getting nothing accomplished.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy to think this Dumbledore quote feels really out of place for the gravity of the situation?

IDK, quote someone in actual history, not fiction lol.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do the other House managers just intentionally let Schiff have all the good stuff for effect? He's miles above them. Fantastic speech.

otherlank

Oct 25, 2017
Schiff's speech was incredible. I admire him for trying to convert Republican votes right up to the end of the trial.

Schiff's speeches also display the stark contrast in preparation between the two sides. Adam Schiff lays out a well thought out and inspirational argument, the White House lawyers basically say "nuh uh" with zero effort, and a room full of Republicans say they agree with the 2nd argument. It's infuriating.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
If we can take away a positive from all of this, it's that Schiff has gained a lot of fans. He's a great representative for the Democratic Party.
I don't think that's the only positive takeaway.

Let's not forget that Democrat voters overwhelmingly wanted their elected officials to hold the president accountable. Not only did they impeach the president, they did a bang up job. They presented a watertight case. They made the president's defenders look like fools for constantly moving the goal posts. And in the process they exposed the Republicans as morally deficient, cowardly, fraudulent hypocrites.

Sure, they haven't removed the president, but I find it hard to believe that any of this will help Trump.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Schiff's speech was incredible. I admire him for trying to convert Republican votes right up to the end of the trial.

Schiff's speeches also display the stark contrast in preparation between the two sides. Adam Schiff lays out a well thought out and inspirational argument, the White House lawyers basically say "nuh uh" with zero effort, and a room full of Republicans say they agree with the 2nd argument. It's infuriating.
They don't even say nuh-uh
It's more like "whatever"

Hetz

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's the only positive takeaway.

Let's not forget that Democrat voters overwhelmingly wanted their elected officials to hold the president accountable. Not only did they impeach the president, they did a bang up job. They presented a watertight case. They made the president's defenders look like fools for constantly moving the goal posts. And in the process they exposed the Republicans as morally deficient, cowardly, fraudulent hypocrites.

Sure, they haven't removed the president, but I find it hard to believe that any of this will help Trump.

100% agree with this. I believe that we exposed the GOP "moderates" for the giant hypocrites that they are. When they vote to acquit him despite everything, there will be no "floor speech" that will save them. Collins is done in November if she votes to acquit, no matter how she tries to save herself with the floor speech she demanded she be able to make.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I need a youtube link for all of Schiffs' closing speech. Fuck it, I am going nuclear and sharing that shit on facebook.

Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah, this is still a thing...

fuck me, I completely forgot about it. :(

Currently watching a living white fossil say that 45 must be acquited because.... (???)... step 4: magic!

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
We gotta vote out every single one of those senators that voted no to witnesses.

And keep the house blue.

Glad more are coming around to what I was predicting/seeing in 2017: having Individual-1 and his Bratva/Kremlin (but I repeat myself) masters worm their way into their party only accelerated what was long underway.

And its logical conclusion: the dead GOP must NEVER EVER have a SCINTILLA of power at the federal level ever again. If everything goes as needed in November, we need to be out in force two years later to hold the line in the House. By the time 2026 comes around, that shouldn't be as much of a threat.

Closing arguments today.

Likely the end of today and tomorrow Senators will make speeches explaining their votes.

Wednesday is voting on the articles.

Everyone, watch which of these now-soulless cowards dive headlong into Kremlin-sourced conspiracy theories that project the guilt onto Ukraine.

The same one's that were briefed on this and agreed with its expertise.

"Russia has relentlessly tried to deflect attention since the allegations of its interference campaign in the 2016 election first surfaced, one official said.
Mr. Putin began publicly pushing false theories of Ukrainian interference in the early months of 2017 to deflect responsibility from Russia, said Senator Angus King, independent of Maine and a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, who declined to answer questions about the briefing.
"These people are pros at this," said Mr. King, who caucuses with the Democrats. "The Soviet Union used disinformation for 70 years. This is nothing new. Vladimir Putin is a former K.G.B. agent. He is trained in deception. This is his stock and trade and he is doing it well."
During a news conference in February 2017, Mr. Putin accused the Ukrainian government of supporting Hillary Clinton during the previous American election and funding her candidacy with friendly oligarchs.
It is not clear when American intelligence agencies learned about Moscow's campaign or when precisely it began."

And again JUST LAST YEAR.

There is nowhere to go now to hide from the truth but lies. Desperate lies from those who don't care if its believed or not as slagging an institution of the US government is a win state for them too.

"Is there one among you who might say, 'enough'??"

Yeah I got some bad news for you Mr. Schiff....

Donny Boy ain't the only one on trial right now. Every GOP Senator is in the hock as well.

November 3rd is some of their reckonings as well.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Ultimately I don't get why it was "up to the people to decide in the 2020 election" but we also weren't allowed to see the documents and hear from the witnesses.

it just doesn't make a lick of sense, really.

They literally passed their job onto me but didn't give me anything to do it with.

Oct 26, 2017

As dark as the impeachment process was, Schiff has given some hope that the statesmen hasn't gone completely extinct. His speeches will be referenced and recited in history classrooms in the future.

Imagine if we just had Jerry Nadler at the helm. It would have just been a complete circus and with all the mud throwing, Trump could have just flown away under the radar with all his crimes / wrong-doings. But with Schiff and the way he handled his role in such a statesmen like way, it put the onus squarely on Republicans to do the right thing. Sure they tried to grasp at straws feigning outrage over the "heads on a pike" quote. But if you noticed, the criticisms quickly melted away when Trump threatened Schiff on Twitter the very next day and they also probably got confirmation that the CBS report of "heads on a pike" was true.

And then you have Schiff today fighting to the very end even everybody else is just going through the motions. He absolutely should be Speaker of the House in the near future.

I will say Philbin did a solid job on the other side. He had a very very very weak hand to play but he put up some decent arguments and I thought he hit the right notes tonally. The rest of Trump's defense council were an absolute disaster including Dershowitz. But the duel between Schiff and Philbin was interesting to watch at times.

Oct 26, 2017
I also think putting up Censure is a smart play right now, especially since it's coming from a Senate Democrat from a deep red state. Particularly if the media picks it up and starts putting GOP Senators to the question, it'll make it very hard for them to have it both ways. If they believe what Trump did doesn't even rise to level of Censure then their words will be completely hollow.

I'm just curious, procedurally how would a Censure vote come to the floor.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017