• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
A couple random thoughts I had on all of this.

1. Unless you have a pretty good idea that witnesses will be allowed or that the convict vote will be close... I think its more important for a Dem to keep a very contested senate seat than it is to make a "virtue" vote.

2. It's looking like Trump will be acquitted. My fear is because of this, he can skirt future impeachable offenses. What is stopping him from asking for more dirt on his enemies from foreign influences? Mueller didn't stick to him. This will not stick. If dems float impeachment again it will be seen as incredibly partisan overeach to get rid of a sitting president. Trump will basically get the confidence and the go ahead to do more shady shit.

On point 2, nothing. This will set a precedent for all future presidents to do the exact same thing with 0 repercussions. At that point, do we even have a democracy any more?

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
But there's still more coming out, just seems like the only leverage they had was holding onto the articles for an extended period of time until the release of Bolton's book, all the leaks, etc. Letting the trial end right before Iowa, Super Bowl, and the SOTU just like Trump wanted seemed to all play right into his hands.

I just can't with this.

The House controls the initial impeachment charges. The whole idea is to let the courts start to uncover stuff in the background way before it gets to the Senate and just leave the next impeachment hanging over Trump's head for the next year or two. Senate can't just shut down the House processes....

no, no. You're right. House can do whatever they want, I was speaking from the trial standpoint. I think they'll still be digging up shit as long as more oversight happens. We have tax returns and McGahn still going through the courts.

Oct 27, 2017
4 hours of closing arguments I believe, then a vote afterwards.
Four hour debate on witnesses, then a vote on witnesses. Then the call to vote for convict/acquit, though Democrats can make motions and delay this call well into the night if they want.

With this Bolton story hitting and other buzz regarding possibly delaying the final vote, the timeline isn't totally secured yet.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Romney and Collins are in favor of witnesses. If Murkowski votes in favor, it would be 50/50, then the Chief Justice could break the tie if he wanted to. It's not looking good, though.
She has literally zero reason to vote yes. She wants to keep her seat she votes no. Mitch gave Collins permission, he absolutely said no to Murkowski. They aren't going to risk Roberts standing up however unlikely.

Oct 27, 2017
This is unironically the reason why this doesn't happen. It's way easier for that stuff to happen when a gigantic % of the population is within a few hours distance of the capitol.
yQbGsGj.png

A significant chunk of the population does live within a few hours of the capital. America has had mass demonstrations in DC before. And there ways to protest other than going to the capital.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Either way Trump will be acquitted. Dems need to focus on getting senate back. And if Trump gets 2nd term, impeach him again (there's no law says you can't impeach the same president multiple times right?).

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Just imagine all this in terms of murder: You have a serial killer than enjoys killing and has explicitly accepted the murders, and also inferred directly or indirectly that he will do it as many times as he can. Then, there's his defense not only accepting all charges, but are willingly allowing him to continue to do it but now without any worry about consequences.

Of course a person that enjoys killing, is a serial killer, and has no remorse will do it again and again!

Trump is that guy! Trump is the guy that won't stop because he sees nothing wrong with it, and if the does know it's wrong, he doesn't care. how can you have an ENTIRE Republican Party following him blindly. I would accept half of the Republicans, maybe many are involved or benefited from him, but ALL of them? HOW??

The worst part is that 95% of the Republicans (either Congress or Senate) know that there is nothing beneficial for them in supporting Trump! They have absolutely nothing to gain, and actually much more to lose!! This is the biggest mind-blowing fact that's happening, not the sham trial.

If Democrats win the Presidential election, can the president throw everyone (possible) in jail, starting with Trump?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yQbGsGj.png

A significant chunk of the population does live within a few hours of the capital. America has had mass demonstrations in DC before. And there ways to protest other than going to the capital.
This proportion looks very, very different in most smaller countries.

There's a stat about the % of population involvement that you need in order to get protests to get changes in response. Reaching that level is radically more difficult because of the combination of sheer size and population density involved.

rundisneyrpg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nadler so far hasnt showed but all the other house managers are there. I hope they keep him off today so the doesn't screw schiff again.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This proportion looks very, very different in most smaller countries.

There's a stat about the % of population involvement that you need in order to get protests to get changes in response. Reaching that level is radically more difficult because of the combination of sheer size and population density involved.
Don't forget losing our jobs and health insurance as a result.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Their viewpoint is basically "If the abuse of powers comes from our party, then of course it is the best for the country."

Oh little Marco, this will haunt you when it is time for re-election.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Now now, let's not oversimplify the matter.

We all know there's a real reason setting the US apart from all other nations that absolutely prevents them defending their values:

They have work in the morning.
We need to work so we can have health insurance, and a lot of us live in right to work states where we can be fired for no reason. Come on now, let's not shame poor people for being shackled to capitalism and kept one accident away from being financially ruined, homeless, and without any health care. That shit is tired as fuck, thanks

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the schedule for today? Begins at 10am PT? Immediate vote on witnesses? If/when they vote No, do they immediately vote on whether to remove or acquit?

Definitely feels like the die has been cast. The corruption is stunning.
2 - 4 hours to debate witnesses before the vote. Possibility of more votes for specific witnesses or documents afterwards if Schumer wants to hammer away tying republicans to this disgusting act. Closing arguments tomorrow and likely rolling over to next week before the final acquittal vote. Some rumblings Republicans might stretch this out all the way to Wednesday, but I doubt they will let this go on that long. It'll likely be over on Monday or Tuesday before the SOTU.