• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Why are the lawyers claiming that witnesses shouldn't be called and that it sets a bad precedent when there is already historical precedent for witness to be called during an impeachment trial?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Why are the lawyers claiming that witnesses shouldn't be called and that it sets a bad precedent when there is already historical precedent for witness to be called during an impeachment trial?
Let's also forget all precedent regarding how aid is withheld and claim deviating from that isn't important.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
PBS just reported that McConnell was seen smiling and republicans are expected to announce support for blocking witnesses likely this evening after they adjourn.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Man hearing Schiff rebuff the Republican histrionics makes for amazing monologues. It helps immensely that he has truth and integrity on his side but he has a way for teasing out the profound and deeply troubling aspects of all this.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone just straight up asked the Senate why they're blocking witnesses from testifying under oath, what reason did they give? At least Nixon resigned without issue.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone just straight up asked the Senate why they're blocking witnesses from testifying under oath, what reason did they give? At least Nixon resigned without issue.
They're arguing that it's the House's job to get witnesses and it would be a waste of time for the Senate to do the House's job. If the House wants these witnesses and evidence they can do it through the courts after the acquittal and impeach him again when they're ready.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Why not ask the leader of the house intelligence committee about when they first were in contact with the whistleblower, that should be a question to the House managers Blackburn you swine

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
So in November we have to contend with:

-A massive marketing propaganda mechanism pushing complete innocence to Trump.
-Zero effort by McConnell to secure the voting process and technology to safeguard our election and machines.
-Barr's DOJ willing and ready to pursue any possible justification to stymie the will of voters.
-Trump given a hall pass to commit further crimes and fabricate anything to ensure a complete victory.
-A 5-4 SCOTUS willing to help nudge criminal evidence and certain policy decisions beyond the scope of judgement by voters in time for next election.
-Even more unqualified judges added to lifetime appointments designed to rip away freedoms and terrorize communities in favor of inflicting harmful policies for the donor class.

Anything else?

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
You know what, let the GOP pull this shit.

Blue wave destroyed them in the midterms

Senate repubs already announcing they won't run

Lots of prior red areas going blue

Let them take this win they were going to get anyway. Just makes the victory all the sweeter come November when his orange ass is tossed out.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Trump is getting re-elected and we are all fucked. Can anybody honestly see a transition of power happening?

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know what, let the GOP pull this shit.

Blue wave destroyed them in the midterms

Senate repubs already announcing they won't run

Lots of prior red areas going blue

Let them take this win they were going to get anyway. Just makes the victory all the sweeter come November when his orange ass is tossed out.
That's a somewhat comforting mentality considering how fucked the whole situation is. But I still feel like Trump/GOP is just going to be even more empowered by this. They literally can't/haven't faced consequences for their actions, so why not just falsify the fucking election and stay in power. They appointed the judges that will rule on that case, the current senate won't do shit, there's no one to stop them from doing it and I can' t imagine they won't try it.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Try not to get too down about it. I really think the dems will have a very strong shot in November in no small part due to what's on display here and now.
Even IF they win, "oh whoops, folks you hate to see it, this election was a PHONY democrat hoax!"
Senate: fake hoax!
Trump forever. Nobody is going to hold these people accountable.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
"other ways for the House to reprimand the president is: <lists Senate powers>"

:|

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I've been watching this all week. I also don't know why people deal with C-SPAN, Senate.gov live streams it on their website. This whole thing is a shit show, but educational in some sense in regards to an impeachment process. These Republicans absolutely know Trump is a corrupt idiot and this is the hill I think they wish to die on to put a face on so to speak for their constituents; I predict that some Republican senators are going to be voted out this year and Trump himself. I wish they would also bring Trump up on war crime charges. And if Trump wins, I forsee the U.S. devolving from its brush with soft-fascism and imperial adventurism for decades now into further deterioration that it won't be able to recover from for decades more.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god this question. Yeah, no witnesses are happening. So fucking sad for this country.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Maybe they are going to vote for witnesses, and when Bolton eventually does testify, he will embarass Trump's council as they cross reference this answer to the outcome of Bolton's testimony.

4D CHESS

Edit: But I guess we'll find out when Alexander announces his decision 🤷

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Trump is getting re-elected and we are all fucked. Can anybody honestly see a transition of power happening?
No. And I'm frankly tired of people dismissing anybody worried about a peaceful transfer of power. We witnessed the electoral college utterly fail in its purpose of protecting us from somebody like Trump and now we are witnessing Congress fail at being a check and balance on the executive branch.

Oct 31, 2017
No. And I'm frankly tired of people dismissing anybody worried about a peaceful transfer of power. We witnessed the electoral college utterly fail in its purpose of protecting us from somebody like Trump and now we are witnessing Congress fail at being a check and balance on the executive branch.

I agree. People like to point to the norms and say "but he won't be president come 2024 at worst case". But they fail to acknowledge the total debasing of norms up until this point. Why will "norms" stop fascism then? The answer is: they won't.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Schiff feels like he memorized speeches every time he's up there. Wonder where we'd be right now without him

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I don't like that its so scripted, where a senator can ask a question about a specific event and then the person answering just so happens to have a response with notes on that exact event. So scripted.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, *another* Biden rule?

How about "the Nixon rule," where Trump has to resign? Oh, all these rules are made up and don't exist? Cool.