• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Their argument is that Trump wouldn't ask a question of a foreign leader about corrupt or criminal activity they might be involved in. Yet we have Trump repeatedly asking Putin whether he interfered in the 2016 election and taking Putin at his word.

Who said that? I haven't been watching today but that seems...stupid on their part. I say that as of any of this is going to matter.
Philbin, I think. He went on and on about how Giuliani, as Trump's personal lawyer, was pursuing this stuff for a year before the aid stuff came up.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any site out there that has a good recording/transcription of the questions asked and maybe a fair summary of the responses (if not the full response)?

Oct 26, 2017
That Collins / Murk question was so good that Republicans basically asked that question twice hoping the Defense could clean it up. The follow-up question was "When did the US government learn of Burisma's corruption with Biden". And Trump's lawyer could only give the same answer, "Umm, Rudy told the government about it in May 2019". So basically the US government was being informed by a corrupt source. and there has never been a formal effort or discussion about Burisma/Biden prior to May 2019.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phew if I have to listen to another pundit saying, "The danger is that the GOP will set a precedent that XYZ is acceptable"

No they won't. In fact this very trial is proof positive that they have no intention whatsoever of treating Dems the same way as this orange fart cloud and will simply do what they're doing now and say the opposite of what they said last time without even a hint of shame.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
This shit is just infuriating. "They filed subpoenas without authorization!" he says. The fucking House committees for Intelligence and Judiciary don't need "authorization" to file a subpoena... it's fully within their scope and powers.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Guys, Am i insane? These guys are straight up being asked if an inference can be drawn since they wont show the evidence? And there argument is that no, we have executive privileged, so you canNOT make a conclusion.

LIKE THAT DOES NOT ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION.

IM DONE

oh and now he's saying, (and i'm paraphrasing) if you do not ask for it nicely, i do not have to give it to you

WTF

Am i insane.

May 29, 2019
"Republicans to 'constituents':
The party
told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. His heart sank as he thought of the enormous power arrayed against him, the ease with which any Party intellectual would overthrow him in debate, the subtle arguments which he would not be able to understand, much less answer. And yet he was in the right! They were wrong and he was right

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Snap, day after the vote, the House subpoena'd Mulvany, and they got the same "no" response. Can't say that particular subpoena wasn't authorized because the vote hadn't happened.

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, Am i insane? These guys are straight up being asked if an inference can be drawn since they wont show the evidence? And there argument is that no, we have executive privileged, so you canNOT make a conclusion.

LIKE THAT DOES NOT ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION.

IM DONE

oh and now he's saying, (and i'm paraphrasing) if you do not ask for it nicely, i do not have to give it to you

WTF

Am i insane.

Well the Trump team response was based on how the question would be litigated in courts where rules of evidence and other considerations would apply. I think he is probably right that a fact finder in typical litigation is not going to be permitted to draw an adverse inference if some document or testimony is withheld pursuant to a valid claim of privilege. That would in some ways defeat the privilege, like allowing a jury in a criminal trial to draw an adverse inference when a defendant exercises his or her right not to testify. Ultimately, though, the impeachment trial isn't actually conducted pursuant to such rules (I think), so the senators can choose to draw whatever inferences they want in reality.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
its so weird to say they need to impeach "beyond a reasonable doubt" but then block witnesses and evidence. legit makes no sense.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Yes, it's a shame it'd be an affront to the others to have him do that.

I'm not watching currently, can you elaborate?

It was a bit of a fleeting moment, so my quote was anecdotal, but I think essentially in the context of why aid to Ukraine was stopped, Schiff was sarcastically remarking how it could be that the acts of one person, Hunter Biden, were so immensely profound that they could lead to Trump wanting to stop aid to the whole country. Somehow gin joints got into his remarks, if I heard correctly.

Oct 26, 2017
How is Hunter Biden being overpaid or bad at his job have to do with anything?

Had to get in their Hunter Biden smear for the boss. Heads on Pike.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Well the Trump team response was based on how the question would be litigated in courts where rules of evidence and other considerations would apply. I think he is probably right that a fact finder in typical litigation is not going to be permitted to draw an adverse inference if some document or testimony is withheld pursuant to a valid claim of privilege. That would in some ways defeat the privilege, like allowing a jury in a criminal trial to draw an adverse inference when a defendant exercises his or her right not to testify. Ultimately, though, the impeachment trial isn't actually conducted pursuant to such rules (I think), so the senators can choose to draw whatever inferences they want in reality.

Which is my point. I'm not arguing about the technicalities of asking for evidence rather that them failing to show the evidence and yet at the same time arguing that that said evidence proves the president did nothing wrong (example: Emails between state department and ukraine on USaid) is trying to have your cake and eat it too. A senator/general public without any bias would most likely draw the conclusion that what you are not showing is bad for you.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a bit of a fleeting moment, so my quote was anecdotal, but I think essentially in the context of why aid to Ukraine was stopped, Schiff was sarcastically remarking how it could be that the acts of one person, Hunter Biden, were so immensely profound that they could lead to Trump wanting to stop aid to the whole country. Somehow gin joints got into his remarks, if I heard correctly.

That was a Casablanca reference, when Rick says of Elsa, "of all the gin joints in all the world, she had to walk into mine," which is to say that she causes problems wherever she goes, but in this instance it's him that needs to deal with the fall out.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was reading how the senate could do a secret ballot.

I was not aware of this. I assumed it was required to know how your senator voted. Impeachment should be a non partisan issue but its clear in this day and age it is not possible to do that. All the talk of votes boil down to "well they are in an election year, it would be risky, he might want to vote this way but can't risk losing his seat etc"

The trump base is powerful but we already know these same senators who hated trump during the primary are magically in love with him now. Secret ballot might cause many to flip.

Oct 25, 2017
So, he's saying that in 5 years he might argue something completely different because he's just constantly learning all the time!

Dershowitz is the biggest pile of garbage on that stage.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Was reading how the senate could do a secret ballot.

I was not aware of this. I assumed it was required to know how your senator voted. Impeachment should be a non partisan issue but its clear in this day and age it is not possible to do that. All the talk of votes boil down to "well they are in an election year, it would be risky, he might want to vote this way but can't risk losing his seat etc"

The trump base is powerful but we already know these same senators who hated trump during the primary are magically in love with him now. Secret ballot might cause many to flip.
If the Removal vote was in secret, I reckon we'd definitely get GoP turn on Trump. It wouldnt solve the problem because they'd probably all want to step in his shoes, but let's deal with one bastard at a time.