• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Yeah I'm not exactly sold on the whole "Schiff for President" train.

Now, if a Democrat gets elected president and Schiff gets tapped for AG..... 👀

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does everybody want Schiff for president? He's doing well at the job he has and has shown no inclination to wanting to be president. This is like any AOC related thread. Stop it. There's more to being an effective politician than being the president. Idolizing the position of president to this degree is related to how we got into this shit.

I think part of it is basically a game of "guessing" who among our current politicians might be president some day or might make a really solid candidate. And, yeah, honestly, AOC and Schiff are probably the two most obvious Dems that would make the best candidates.

I'd say there's also dissatisfaction with our current choices. The best candidates left in this race are old, and the young candidates either suck or have no chance. Schiff has the oratory skills of Obama and is still "just" 59. That doesn't mean I want him to be president, because I know nothing about him, but I could see it.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I think the best we can hope for is that there's a tiny fraction of conservatives who will be swayed and will vote Democrat or stay home in November, and enough Democrats will be energized by the fact that they voted in those people in 2018 to impeach Trump, the Dems followed through and they did it amazingly well, with a lot of passion. Regardless of the acquittal, if enough people come out of this being convinced that the Democrats are on the right side of history, that they're intelligent and serious about their job and that the Republicans are real sons of bitches, it could tip the election in the Dems' favor come November.

Also, yeah, Schiff is coming out of this considerably more famous and popular. No idea if he wants to run for president some day, but if he does, his performance here will help him tremendously.

The main thing that I'm worried about is a Trump acquittal announcing to the world that if you meddle in US elections to help the GOP there will be no repercussions. I'm not sure if we can win in 2020 when having to work against open election meddling, and if Trump serves another term then who knows what more will be done to dismantle the integrity of our elections. I worry our democracy is on the line here.

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
Why does everybody want Schiff for president? He's doing well at the job he has and has shown no inclination to wanting to be president. This is like any AOC related thread. Stop it. There's more to being an effective politician than being the president. Idolizing the position of president to this degree is related to how we got into this shit.

just a figure of speech at this point. The next thing to walk through my doorstep (ie my cat) should be president

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The main thing that I'm worried about is a Trump acquittal announcing to the world that if you meddle in US elections to help the GOP there will be no repercussions. I'm not sure if we can win in 2020 when having to work against open election meddling, and if Trump serves another term then who knows what more will be done to dismantle the integrity of our elections. I worry our democracy is on the line here.

Fortunately China could interfere as well and they hate him. Could just depend on who is better between them and Russia to decide who wins in 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
You make good points, julian. Have you considered being president

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fortunately China could interfere as well and they hate him. Could just depend on who is better between them and Russia to decide who wins in 2020.

Trump is single handedly wrecking America's soft power so bad as Trump is for China in the short term, they probably couldn't be any happier about the long term implications.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Wow it didn't even take ten minutes for him to bring up the "overturn the election" bullshit. I felt like he was at least making a decent-sounding opening statement until that. Fuck off.

wvan13

Oct 25, 2017
"They didn't talk a lot about the transcript"

Did he watch the fucking presentations?
Yeah, I gave up watching. My blood pressure doesn't need me being furious for 3 hours as the President's defense team lies for him. I'll catch highlights of the crazy, stupid, or wrong shit that'll surely come from them.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, but he could be much more favorable towards them if they help throw an election for him. Look how good he's been to Russia - who wouldn't want that treatment?

And even if that's not the case and China would be more inclined to help the Democrats I'm still not cool with US elections now just being open for foreign intervention.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
"American people decide elections."

Alright so it's now the position of the White House and the entire GOP that the impeachment clause of the constitution shouldn't exist at all. Nice to see they feel the same way that they did 20 years ago.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
"American people decide elections."

Alright so it's now the position of the White House and the entire GOP that the impeachment clause of the constitution shouldn't exist at all. Nice to see they feel the same way that they did 20 years ago.
Righto, well let's get rid of the Senate vote on removal and allow the American people to decide whether or not the sitting President is removed from office.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about 20 minutes behind, but it seems like this guy didn't see any of the House Managers opening statements the last 3 days. Trump's lawyers are completely in their own bubble.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Righto, well let's get rid of the Senate vote on removal and allow the American people to decide whether or not the sitting President is removed from office.
Now we're getting somewhere! Will of the People, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Trumps approval ratings seems to be unchanged since he was impeached? I guess people don't care.

projects.fivethirtyeight.com

How Popular Is Donald Trump?

FiveThirtyEight is tracking Donald Trump’s approval ratings throughout his presidency.
It's a combination of the two sides being fully dug-in by now and anyone in the middle probably just stuck with scandal-fatigue. The media reports on terrible shit Trump does on such a constant basis that the gravitas of any particular charge is lessened. Just another story on the pile, whatever, everyone knows there's a 0% chance he actually gets removed from all this anyway so there's nothing to be gained by paying attention to any of this in some folks' minds.
The president can do whatever he wants to, until November. That's when it matters. It's the only time it ever really has mattered.

Oct 26, 2017
So ten minutes into his opening statement and he already made a false statement about the President's lawyers being completely locked out of the process.

EDIT: Wow,, Schiff completely telegraphed that they would use his parody speech. Again, only took them 10 minutes.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I never understand why some Americans are so hung up on vote count when they 100% know that electoral college decides the winner, not necessarily who wins in raw vote count.

Want it other way? Take down electoral college.
Well i have a hammer and a screwdriver in my basement, but I'm not entirely sure where to begin with this level of dismantle :V

Fun how when you're in middle school and the teacher is like "This is our political system it's the best one on earth!" and you got no context for that so you just agree with it. Now I"m 30 and I want to burn it all to the ground, but you know, in a way that would keep emissions low to protect our environment.

Oct 25, 2017
Well i have a hammer and a screwdriver in my basement, but I'm not entirely sure where to begin with this level of dismantle :V

Fun how when you're in middle school and the teacher is like "This is our political system it's the best one on earth!" and you got no context for that so you just agree with it. Now I"m 30 and I want to burn it all to the ground, but you know, in a way that would keep emissions low to protect our environment.

To be fair, there's not a single government entity in the world that can withstand the kind of lockstep corruption of the gop. At least we still have 'some' hope with elections. Of course, they're slowly destroying that too.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
None of these arguments are compelling. The house managers did that 8 mile strategy and anticipated all of these arguments and refuted them already.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
"They're trying to overturn the results of the 2016 election".

YES! BECAUSE HE'S A TRAITOR AND A CRIMINAL !!! Fucking hell.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I think the best we can hope for is that there's a tiny fraction of conservatives who will be swayed and will vote Democrat or stay home in November, and enough Democrats will be energized by the fact that they voted in those people in 2018 to impeach Trump, the Dems followed through and they did it amazingly well, with a lot of passion. Regardless of the acquittal, if enough people come out of this being convinced that the Democrats are on the right side of history, that they're intelligent and serious about their job and that the Republicans are real sons of bitches, it could tip the election in the Dems' favor come November.

Also, yeah, Schiff is coming out of this considerably more famous and popular. No idea if he wants to run for president some day, but if he does, his performance here will help him tremendously.

Yes that's my understanding of the dem strategy. It's to solidify a Democrat win in November. It's also the right thing to do and as a bonus in a rare timeline he's removed.

Oct 25, 2017
"They're trying to overturn the results of the 2016 election".

YES! BECAUSE HE'S A TRAITOR AND A CRIMINAL !!! Fucking hell.

Not even overturning the results. Trump has had his chance to do his job and he's mostly fucked it up. It's like saying you shouldn't be fired because once a company hires you, it's set in stone. A contact can never be broken once it's been written.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I like Sekulow bringing up that a special counsel was appointed within six months of Trump's inauguration, during a Republican-friendly congress, as though it's some sort of proof that the evil dems have been out to get Trump all along.
No, maybe he really just always has sucked that much.

Oct 25, 2017
I like Sekulow bringing up that a special counsel was appointed within six months of Trump's inauguration, during a Republican-friendly congress, as though it's some sort of proof that the evil dems have been out to get Trump all along.
No, maybe he really just always has sucked that much.

Don't forget that trump said for years that Mueller was incompetent and that the whole thing was a sham. Now it's some sort of golden goose?