• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Someday I hope to commit a crime and have the jury be the people that helped me commit that same crime.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
So they dismissed the idea of witnesses with zero GOP defections? Not even 1 of the 4 possibilities crossed over? Can't say I'm surprised.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
Schumer essentially telling the GOP to fuck off gives me life.

as much as I think they will table the rest for tomorrow, I kinda hope they go till tomorrow morning.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
So they asked for some evidence and all 3 amendments failed. Can they ask again later or does it have to be different?

stew

Dec 2, 2017
What's great is that they don't give the impression of wanting to delay for the sake of delaying. They've already started to present their case, they give a lot of facts to those who didn't follow what happened so far, and they're refreshing others memory.
They show that they're in charge there, they don't let Trump's lawyers get away with their bullshit, they're very reactive.
Schiff is just awesome but they're all doing well.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised anyone is remotely optimistic about this. Are the Dems saying anything that isn't already known? I'm sure the Senate already knows the facts and has made their mind up on it anyways.

Also if the Republicans all voted against the three evidence amendments, why would any suddenly defect for witnesses unless they're hoping to get a Trump supporter witness? I honestly don't see anything really coming out of except the Reps continuing to support Trump despite the obvious impeachable offense.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy is terrible.

"what's so bad about deciding basic shit a week into a politicized snowjob farce?"

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I'm surprised anyone is remotely optimistic about this. Are the Dems saying anything that isn't already known? I'm sure the Senate already knows the facts and has made their mind up on it anyways.
I'm convinced a lot of these Senators are in the Fox News bubble and literally haven't heard any facts until today.

Also if the Republicans all voted against the three evidence amendments, why would any suddenly defect for witnesses unless they're hoping to get a Trump supporter witness? I honestly don't see anything really coming out of except the Reps continuing to support Trump despite the obvious impeachable offense.
Those are just procedural votes, tabling the amendments for later. From what I understand, all of these amendments will be voted on together.

stew

Dec 2, 2017

They're pretending to follow the same rules as for Clinton's trial, during which they voted later to call witnesses. Collins already said today that although she's voting against the amendments, she's likely to vote to call witnesses. I don't trust them but it could actually happen, the question is how many are they.

Dems are doing their job, they're explaining why they wanted to subpoena the documents and witnesses they asked for. They want to show the public that the trial is unfair.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Philbin is so worthless, nothing he says is ever relevant to the motion at hand
I think people are just taking whatever pleasure they can out of this situation in which case it's kind of nice seeing McConnell get marginally annoyed.

pootybutt

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2020

Not sure if optimistic is how I would describe myself, but I think the arguments in favor of evidence/witnesses is good enough that we will get there with the 4 GOP senators we need. Could be wrong though, but those senators are severely damaged politically if they get on the wrong side of history here on that issue. In the event that evidence/witnesses are called and allowed all hell is gonna break loose and it'd honestly be tough imho to assume anything about outcomes. I also wanna note that even Trump supporters overwhelmingly support a fair trial and are expecting to see witnesses up there disproving the various charges under oath. I don't wanna give them credit without earning it, but I bet there are many of them who would watch Pompeo and Mulvaney throw Trump under the bus and be utterly devastated themselves. Maybe change minds even. This has happened to farmers and various Trump voters on other matters, mind you. Just need to pop their bubble.

Loads of GOP senators want Trump gone and much prefer Pence in his place. The trick is forcing their constituents to force them to convict, but that requires minds to change. That won't happen imo unless Trump's inner circle is forced to turn against him, which absolutely CAN happen if witnesses are forced to testify. The GOP won't just ignore Bolton either if he is up there slinging shit. That will have at least some notable effect on them I think. So will Pompeo and Mulvaney...these are their old colleagues, remember.

If the GOP just votes to kill all hopes of evidence/witnesses I honestly worry/expect all hell will break loose in the country. The stakes can't be any higher here. Trump will be emboldened even moreso and straight up rig his own election and the GOP will help him do it (more than usual, I mean). I dunno how the public would react to that becoming apparent. Legit scary times.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
And not fuck will ne given. Republicans will do anything to win, while we play nice

Nah, this stuff works. Just look at every special election we've had. Alabama Democrat senator. Democrat governor of Kentucky. *Reelected* democrat governor of Louisiana.

Trump is super fucking toxic to Republicans getting elected. We just might get the Senate.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

Also if the Republicans all voted against the three evidence amendments, why would any suddenly defect for witnesses unless they're hoping to get a Florida Man supporter witness? I honestly don't see anything really coming out of except the Reps continuing to support Florida Man despite the obvious impeachable offense.

This is the thing:

Alot of people don't know beyond a basic soundbite. Thankfully, the soundbite was "Fucking Mobster-in-Chief extorted Ukraine to help him in the next election", because mostly, the soundbite have been warped or presoftened by the crowd that protects and cultivates said mobster-in-chief. How do they do that? A Firehose of Falsehoods to drown out the known truth. By doing this, the Dems bring a Firehose of Truthhood so that the low-info people don't get tainted and emotions set on "yo fuck that guy maybe removal would be best".

Information wars are a thing we must all come to understand.