• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The EC has nothing to do with checks and balances, that's the three branches.

It's broken because votes aren't equal.

The minority is ruling the majority. The fact that 3 million more people vote for Clinton over Trump, yet he still won, shows how it's broken.

The will of the people was to have Clinton as president and the EC prevented that.

This is exactly why I wanted a Democrat to state as a rebuttal to the Republican "circumventing the will of the People" talking point that the Electoral College circumvented the will of the People in 2016 by putting Trump in the White House.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the electoral college elects the president (executive side or whatever) and the popular vote elects the house (the other side right?) then how doesn't it have to do with checks and balances?

I might be REALLY confused on your guys politics.
Popular vote doesn't elect the house either. Districts elect the house, and the districts are gerrymandered. It's all layers of bullshit.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
If the electoral college elects the president (executive side or whatever) and the popular vote elects the house (the other side right?) then how doesn't it have to do with checks and balances?

All the checks and balances are in place for is to prevent one branch from gaining control over another.

It has nothing to do with voting.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Popular vote doesn't elect the house either. Districts elect the house, and the districts are gerrymandered. It's all layers of bullshit.
All the checks and balances are in place for is to prevent one branch from gaining control over another.

It has nothing to do with voting.

Ok Im obviously VERY confused with the whole sytem.
Thanks for taking the time to correct me, I appreciate it. Will read more on it when I get home.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't think that's what breaks the system. That is the foundation of the constitution and what made the american politic system special, the whole system of checks thing.
How is that broken?

It seems you just want a straight democracy and change the entire system.
The hyper stratification of population density was never anticipated by the founding fathers. The idea that the Constitution is some sacred text from on high and not an ever changing work-in-progress is a huge problem in and of itself. The Constitution as originally written fell far short of what we expect in today's world in terms of civil rights and protections for the entirety of the population.

Religious thinking within public institutions is the bane of society.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
The hyper stratification of population density was never anticipated by the founding fathers. The idea that the Constitution is some sacred text from on high and not an ever changing work-in-progress is a huge problem in and of itself. The Constitution as originally written fell far short of what we expect in today's world in terms of civil rights and protections for the entirety of the population.
This is an excellent post and should be read by all.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Ok thanks. That was my original understanding (and it's a system that I actually think it's really cool since you have divided your politics into 2 branches) BUT it seems EVs are being forced to vote on the majority popular vote, which seems to break the whole system for me. Do you have details on that?

Yeah, the electors for each state EVs are duty bound, and sometimes lawfully bound, to follow a state's plurality. So for all intents and purposes, the president is voted in absolutely on election day. Electors can choose to elect someone else if they want, but they usually don't (there are very few faithless electors historically, and absolutely none of them came close to overturning an election).

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I'm watching some of the proceedings here and I have to say that the standard of the rhetoric and general speechcraft on display is absolutely pitiful. This boy from Missouri is just fucking woeful.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

Adding to this, the phrase "checks and balances" (one of us yanks' favorites) refers to the relationships between our executive branch (president and bureaucracy), legislature (congress, composed of the house and senate), and courts (supreme court, mostly). As a minor example, the president can veto a bill passed by the congress, but congress can vote by supermajority to override said veto.

note that I'm not a student of government, just an american computer dork young enough to remember grade school government class

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I mean, I don't think that's what breaks the system. That is the foundation of the constitution and what made the american politic system special, the whole system of checks thing.
How is that broken?

It seems you just want a straight democracy and change the entire system.
If it was still like what the founders intended, basically the state legislatures would pick the electoral college and there would be no popular vote for president.

It now being winner take all per state has made it especially weird, because now the only states that really get outsized say are whichever ones happen to have the demographics spread in a way where half are republican and half are democratic.