• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 31, 2017
I had to miss the last couple hours. Anything big happen?

Republicans progressively attacked Vindman, who seemed overall prepared to defend himself. Asked about why he's wearing his uniform, why he didn't tell his boss and went to a lawyer first, tried to smear his judgment.

Jim Jordan yelled his monologue. Maloney clapped back. Vindman got applause.

Nunes low energy close. Schiff strong summary.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Republicans progressively attacked Vindman, who seemed overall prepared to defend himself. Asked about why he's wearing his uniform, why he didn't tell his boss and went to a lawyer first, tried to smear his judgment.

Much thanks to you both!

No bombshells, but Morrison coming up might be at odds with Vindman. Also some good sound bites from Maloney.

Thanks!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

To add here Schiff also shut down Nunes' attempt at outing the whistleblower.

And Vindman pulling rank on Nunes.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Almost certainly going to be a more right slanted tinge to the afternoon testimony. Both Volker and Morrison have played the "I wasn't there in that particular moment/what I saw wasn't so bad" card during their depositions.

These will probably be the two witnesses that the GOP pin their hopes on.

Dec 31, 2017
Almost certainly going to be a more right slanted tinge to the afternoon testimony. Both Volker and Morrison have played the "I wasn't there in that particular moment/what I saw wasn't so bad" card during their depositions.

These will probably be the two witnesses that the GOP pin their hopes on.
Definitely, it will be "positive" for the GOP, by not being as damaging.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
I had to miss the last couple hours. Anything big happen?
Nothing big. Some good parts:

"President Trump demanded a favor of President Zelensky to conduct investigations that both of you acknowledge were for President Trump's political interests, not the national interest... is that an accurate summary?"

Vindman: "Yes."

Williams: "Yes."

@RepSeanMaloney asks Lt. Col. Vindman about the July 25 call when Trump pressured Ukraine to investigate one of his political opponents:

MALONEY: "You went immediately and reported it, didn't you?"

VINDMAN: "I did."

MALONEY: "Why?"

VINDMAN: "Because that was my duty."

Rep. Mike Quigley: Were you aware of anyone in the national security community who supported withholding aid to Ukraine?

Lt. Col. Vindman: No.

Anyone in the State Department?

Vindman: No.

Anyone in the Defense Department?

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing big. Some good parts:

"President Trump demanded a favor of President Zelensky to conduct investigations that both of you acknowledge were for President Trump's political interests, not the national interest... is that an accurate summary?"

Vindman: "Yes."

Williams: "Yes."

@RepSeanMaloney asks Lt. Col. Vindman about the July 25 call when Trump pressured Ukraine to investigate one of his political opponents:

MALONEY: "You went immediately and reported it, didn't you?"

VINDMAN: "I did."

MALONEY: "Why?"

VINDMAN: "Because that was my duty."

Rep. Mike Quigley: Were you aware of anyone in the national security community who supported withholding aid to Ukraine?

Lt. Col. Vindman: No.

Anyone in the State Department?

Anyone in the Defense Department?

That is such enormous testimony of serious abuse of power and extortion, BUT WILD INCOHERENT REPUBLICAN YELLING for the tens of millions of Americans trained by Fox News to limit their cognitive abilities to mental gymnastics (at a world class level, though, almost got to respect that).

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
So... Tim Morrison-- who is up next along with Volker-- is 7'1" hahaha I didn't realize he was the giant man I've seen lumbering about in the background when people are giving interviews.

Both Morrison and Volker are pretty hardcore Republicans so it'll be interesting to see if they are up for playing into the conspiracy game the Republicans are pushing, or if they try to keep it as straight-shooting and non-perjuring as possible.

Also, the crooked media YT feed had the San Andreas meme w/ the impeachment setting as its background and it was great.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
There is no equivocation in your statement. Would you like to restate your assertion?

Was Dr. Brad Wenstrup correct or incorrect when he implied Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman contradicted himself between his deposition and opening statement about adding the word 'demand' to his edits of the July 25th phone call between President Donald J Trump and President Volodymyr Zelensky?

I can imply the congressman lied or Vindman lied, it doesn't really matter, all I've needed is a "he did" or "he didn't"

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Trump is complaining these are people who heard conversations about conversations....ugh...he can't even keep up. These people were on the call!!

Oct 27, 2017
Was Dr. Brad Wenstrup correct or incorrect when he implied Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman contradicted himself between his deposition and opening statement about adding the word 'demand' to his edits of the July 25th phone call between President Donald J Trump and President Volodymyr Zelensky?

I can imply the congressman lied or Vindman lied, it doesn't really matter, all I've needed is a "he did" or "he didn't"

So if you aren't sure whether he lied, why would you assert it then look for clarification? Seems kinda backwards, don't you think?

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
So if you aren't sure whether he lied, why would you assert it then look for clarification? Seems kinda backwards, don't you think?

All I ever wanted was to know if someone fact checked Dr. Wenstrup's gotcha question and implication that Vindman contradicted himself between his deposition and opening statement. I'm not sure why this ever took more than one post.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Gym Jordan: I have a unanimous consent request that a video showing that Representative Swalwell farted during an interview be included in the record.

Adam Schiff: Without objection.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
FarterGate was already resolved last night.

It was Matthews, he's been known to be a serial Farter on his show but missed the mike cut.

Oct 27, 2017
All I ever wanted was to know if someone fact checked Dr. Wenstrup's gotcha question and implication that Vindman contradicted himself between his deposition and opening statement. I'm not sure why this ever took more than one post.

We're going in circles because you don't want to address your assertion Vindman lied, and now you're stating you don't understand the argument some back bench GOP goober made

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
volker is pulling a last minute sondland.

this is not going to go well for republicans.

their only tactic is going to be "you lied to us before-- why should we trust you!!" like they did with cohen

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
He'd have to. In his deposition he said he was ignorant about the pressure campaign being applied to Ukraine, yet Sondland's testimony puts him in the room when Sondland reiterated the QPQ to Ukrainian officials on 7/10. And that's only one discrepancy.

More than a dozen clear lies actually.

Unfortunately for the GOP, and for Volker, law professor and former Pentagon special counsel Ryan Goodman laid out a 60-page-long, side-by-side comparison of Volker's testimony with that of several other diplomats and national security officials — and highlighted at least thirteen points where Volker may have lied to Congress.

For example, Volker wrote in his opening statement that "[A]t no time was I aware of or took part in an effort to urge Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Biden." But the testimony of State Department officials William Taylor, David Holmes, and George Kent, EU Ambassador Gordon Sondland, and National Security Council officials Tim Morrison and Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman all referenced Volker, at various points, as actively involved in the effort to get Ukraine to open investigations.

Volker also did not disclose to Congress that he was a member of the July 10 White House meeting with Ukrainian officials — but the testimony of Taylor, Vindman, and NSC aide Fiona Hill all put him in that meeting.

Volker said that he believed there was a valid reason for the hold on Ukrainian aid and that "he did not perceive" it to be linked to an investigation of the Bidens "in any way." But Taylor testified that Volker suggested to him that Trump, being a businessman, felt Ukraine owed him something personally. He also said that Volker announced his intention to tell the Ukrainian president at their July 2 meeting in Toronto to cooperate on investigations if he wanted a White House meeting — something Volker never disclosed in his account of that exchange.

I'm interested in how the Dems will play with him throughout the hearing. They know he's a clear liar and will probably still continue to lie in some capacity.