• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Family and friends have been getting them left and right and I have to admit, as much as I am in the ecosystem, I always just got by on my Anker ear buds, which I enjoy enough, and never really cared to look into Air Pods. I didn't know they came with different attachments so they wouldn't fall out like the shitty stadard buds did. I did not know all the neat features they have, though. So now I'm seriously considering upgrading.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Aren't they still terrible for the environment because they're basically disposable? And no matter how many times I see people wearing AirPods, they will always look idiotic. It looks like you have half a Q-Tip hanging out of your ear.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're genuinely the best iPhone accessory available......and it gets even better if you have an Apple Watch to go with it.

I love that they pretty seamlessly double as a wireless headset to take hands-free calls on.

I have had mine for over two years now, and I'm genuinely surprised that I haven't managed to fuck them up by leaving them in a pair of pants that goes through the washing machine.

Oct 27, 2017
These are great for the price. Highly recommended.

TOZO T6 True Wireless Earbuds Bluetooth Headphones Touch Control with Wireless Charging Case IPX8 Waterproof TWS Stereo Earphones in-Ear Built-in Mic Headset Premium Deep Bass for Sport Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RGZ5NKS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_gQWdGbC5NV1GR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They work great on my iPhone. No lag when watching videos which is a huge plus and a big problem I had with other Bluetooth headphones
Awesome, thanks!

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
I have been pretty critical of Apple as a business. Additionally, I think their products are generally fine, but the love is overblown. However, I really do love the airpod pros I got for Christmas. Maybe my favorite non-video game technology since my first portable cd player.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, I've been trying to tell people since they came out. Truly wireless is the way to go, the convenience is just off the charts

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
I wish I could get AirPods, I just feel like they'll fall out of my ears. It's an issue I've had with a ton of in-ear headphones.
Try the Pros.

Im not a fan of the regulars as well as they don't isolate and Fall out constantly.

The pros stay in for good and are amazing.

I just wish there was more (any) spatial audio content.

youtu.be

AirPods Pro Spatial Audio = MIND BLOWN

Apple's spatial audio feature for AirPods Pro just exceeded my expectations.Latercase for AirPods Pro - https://latercase.com/products/airpods-pro-thin-caseF...

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I'm not an Airpods guy because they don't fit me well and I prefer the passive sound isolation of IEMs, but I completely agree with you, OP. We're still not at a point where battery life truly doesn't matter, and I prefer my wired IEMs for their sound quality, but I've had two sets of wireless in-ear earbuds, and the freedom from being physically bound to my phone has been revelatory and profound. I can't wait for the tech to mature to a place where nothing needs to be sacrificed in order to enjoy the total lack of wires.

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get it, I like wired earbuds because I can pull them off and hang them off my neck, I think I know I'll one side if I get them.
This is me. I don't see why people make such a big deal about a short wire in-between. What do people with airpods do when they take em out? Always carry the case around? I've seen some people just leave em in their ears, but off. I don't get it

jonathanp

Oct 28, 2017
I bought some Galaxy Buds as an early Christmas gift to myself last month on a whim since I got them real cheap. I've always had issues with in-ear headphones and I figure if they didn't work out I work just regift them, but I really enjoy them.

They are really a game changer. They sound good, they fit secure, call quality is pretty good too; they've become my daily drivers for headphones. I've even snuck and used them at work (using one at a time) and it makes the day more pleasant.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Was this from every day use? I got mine when I attended Galaxy Unpacked but haven't used it much since lockdown started. Kinda worried about it dying too quick now 😐
Yep, anywhere from 1-5 hours per day of usage. I use them not just for music but also watching shows on my iPad, etc.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Was just thinking this as I was working this morning with my OG AirPods in. They're losing their battery luster, and the sound quality has taken a pretty good hit (because no matter how much I clean them and my ears, was accumulates), but you just cannot beat the convenience and ease of use. I'm also always impressed by the range, as I can walk pretty far from my device and still maintain connection (very good for muting myself and pausing video in a Zoom meeting while I make lunch or run outside to get the mail).

Ready to invest in the next iteration of the AirPod Pros in April.

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone recommend a wireless headset? I'm avoiding earbuds because they never stay in my ears and I worry about sound damage to my ears

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Try the Pros.

Im not a fan of the regulars as well as they don't isolate and Fall out constantly.

The pros stay in for good and are amazing.

I just wish there was more (any) spatial audio content.

I'd love to try the Pros at some point. Right now I use the Sony active noise cancelling IEMs, and a sweet pair of wired Etymotics that I got on Black Friday last year.

But if you're looking for spatial audio content, Tidal (I know) has a decent selection of it on their premium subscription tier. I agree - can't wait for more to be available.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, anywhere from 1-5 hours per day of usage. I use them not just for music but also watching shows on my iPad, etc.

Just tried using mine again it's definitely draining really fast (dropped like 20% around 15 minutes if it just sitting there). I'll see if I can get a replacement from Samaung cause uh, this isn't really good lol

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I owned two separate pairs of wireless Jaybirds and then PowerBeats Pro prior to getting the AirPods Pro, and prior to the AirPods Pro, I always felt like every pair of wireless earbuds I owned had too many compromises.

The AirPods Pro is the least amount of compromises and does finally push me into the same stance as OP. I truly do love them and use them daily.

AirPods were available but (a) I wasn't in the Apple ecosystem yet and (b) the AirPods design has never been a great fit for my ear shape, so the AirPods Pro adopting in-ear design got them over that threshold.

I also own over-ear Sony WH-1000XM3s. They are fantastic, and I will give them absolute credit for being way more comfortable on my head than most headphones, but I've personally never found over-ear to be comfortable to wear for a long period of time. I recognize that I'm an outlier in that regard since most people seem to vastly prefer over-ear to in-ear designs, but I'm the opposite -- clamp force is consistently an issue for me. I can wear the Sonys for about an hour and a half to two hours and then it just starts to get hot and achy for me.

If it wasn't a pandemic, I'd like to try on AirPods Max to see if they solve the typical comfort issues I experience (I have a small head so I feel like that exasperates clamp force on a lot of headphones)... But with the all-metal build, I'm guessing that's a no. Also, $550 is steep as hell and a huge compromise to the overall experience for me, nevermind how the sound quality and comfort actually is.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I was wearing neck buds and when I got AirPods even the neck buds felt goddamn medieval. Definitely a giant quality of life difference. Then I got AirPods Pro and I felt it again just from the fit/noise cancellation/quality.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
They're genuinely the best iPhone accessory available......and it gets even better if you have an Apple Watch to go with it.

I love that they pretty seamlessly double as a wireless headset to take hands-free calls on.

I have had mine for over two years now, and I'm genuinely surprised that I haven't managed to fuck them up by leaving them in a pair of pants that goes through the washing machine.
So, I did put my Pro's through the wash and they still function fine once the water dried up. There was a bit of static when using the noise canceling mode for a week but I have had no issues over the past 6 months since.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
I didn't give them a ton of thought because I liked my Klipsch buds quite a bit, but once our office moved to WHF I started taking walks at lunch. The cord sucked, and my daughter loaned my her AirPods. They sounded great and the convenience is ridiculous. My wife bought me some for my birthday and I totally dig them.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I really didn't like my AirPods Pro, they got returned. I think I'm just an over ear person.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer wireless headphones with a cable in between both buds, that way I can quickly remove them and have them rest around my neck. True wireless where I would have to put them in my pocket would be way more inconvenient.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I think the real game changer are the cases. I have the Buds and just being able to throw them in a case and have them charge is insanely convenient.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
When I first hear about them I didn't really think I'd find them all that useful but now I love 'em, can't ever go back to wired ones.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I've got a pair of Galaxy Buds Pros and I love the hell out of them.

They pretty much are with me wherever I go.

I especially love the feature they have where it goes into Ambient Mode automatically if it detects your voice, making it possible to hold a conversation without removing the earbuds.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
All things considered, AirPods are great. Before WHF I would make a phone call at lunch time during my walk and to dial I just tapped my AirPod and told Siri which person to dial. However, the fit is not great. They've fallen out a few times and unless they're perfectly gripped in there, the sound quality is affected.

Karamsoul

Oct 27, 2017
I got my first pair of AirPods as a Christmas gift last month and I've been really enjoying them. Exercising without having to worry about wires is a great QOL improvement.

I just wish there was a way to add a third type of tapping command to them so that I could assign "pause" to it.

I believe tapping once will pause anything you are playing.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an Airpods guy because they don't fit me well and I prefer the passive sound isolation of IEMs, but I completely agree with you, OP. We're still not at a point where battery life truly doesn't matter, and I prefer my wired IEMs for their sound quality, but I've had two sets of wireless in-ear earbuds, and the freedom from being physically bound to my phone has been revelatory and profound. I can't wait for the tech to mature to a place where nothing needs to be sacrificed in order to enjoy the total lack of wires.
I swapped the sound filter from my custom earplugs for the earbuds and was surprised to find they fit, so it's like the isolation of IEMs, not same quality but still, pretty cool. I have small ear canals so in-ear was usually an issue for me.

lMo4slg.jpg

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
If it wasn't a pandemic, I'd like to try on AirPods Max to see if they solve the typical comfort issues I experience (I have a small head so I feel like that exasperates clamp force on a lot of headphones)... But with the all-metal build, I'm guessing that's a no.
Yeah, that's a yes though. The Max's are so much more comfortable than the Sony's that I can actually wear them throughout an 8 hour workday, where the Sony's get uncomfortable after only a few hours.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony WH-1000 XM3 cans are my go-to for working, but Galaxy Buds have been a game changer for walking outside or mowing the lawn. Unfortunately, after a couple years, mine have started randomly pausing and chiming when I walk. They have become unusuable when on the move. I think it's the proximity sensor thinking they are falling out my ear but they are snug and comfortable. Probably time for an upgrade.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
AirPods are one of the greatest inventions ever, Imo. Just next level brilliance from Apple

Were they first to market on wireless earbuds?

Also, their design is hardly brilliant. They fall out of many peoples' ears and there are tons of them in landfills because they're impossible to repair once the battery degrades. Especially frustrating coming from a company that claims to care about the environment - I'm not saying they don't care at all, but they certainly don't care enough to make their products user repairable.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. They are SO GOOD during this pandemic where we need to be on Zoom all the time.

Were they first to market on wireless earbuds?

Also, their design is hardly brilliant. They fall out of many peoples' ears and there are tons of them in landfills because they're impossible to repair once the battery degrades. Especially frustrating coming from a company that claims to care about the environment - I'm not saying they don't care at all, but they certainly don't care enough to make their products user repairable.

Valid criticism about the environmental impact.

They're not the first wireless earbuds, but their seamless integration is really great. Just open the case and you're connected. Take them out of your ears and they're disconnected. Charge by putting them back in the case. Switching devices is relatively quick and easy too.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Powerbeats Pro changed my commute and workout. I can't wait for the next version to add noise cancellation/transparency mode. I also hope they figure out a way to make the case a bit smaller. But it's been a game changer for me.

Same for my AirPods Pro around the house. Definitely helped when wfh and needed to tune out external bullshit.

I just wish we had a solution for the battery. I feel these things should have a MUCH longer shelf life with the ability to extend/replace battery life.

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
I've always been into using a good pair of over ear cans. But after I got a pair of Sony WF-1000xm3s for Christmas the QOL improvements have me using them more than my any of my other headphones.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I bought a pair of Jabra Active 65t in 2018 and have been using them (almost daily) since. Still get like 5+ hours on a charge and the noise cancelling is great.

I'm sure theres been big upgrades in the market since but these have served me extremely well (and fit great, too).

Love truly wireless.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
AirPods are one of my biggest reasons to switch to iPhone later this year. The aux just slips out of my phone when I put it in a pocket, my previous headphones eventually lost stereo sound due to a fucked up aux connector, my current one has a really flimsy connector and having a wire between the headphones and phone just generally sucks. It gets caught on protruding stuff every once in a while, music stops playing & the player just closes on Android it sucks so bad.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have an iPhone, but I do have a pair of airpods that I use regularly with my phone and yes I agree. I don't think removing the headphone jack as an option was the right move, but the benefits of wireless earbuds have definitely added so many layers of convenience when taking and making phone calls now.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
anybody purchased any good eartips for airpods pro? My ears are stupid and none of them fit me properly. Been staring at mine for 2 weeks now lol

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
They're fantastic to use, but the battery degradation and environmental impact of these kinds of headphones are a serious bummer. I hope that can continue to be improved.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I don't have any "true wireless" as you are saying but I am very happy with my normal Bluetooth headphones. I don't think being "true wireless" would improve (and the sound quality and battery life would definitely take a hit). Ofc mine is big and I can't exercise with it, but that is not something I enjoy doing so is a non issue for me.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
They're fantastic to use, but the battery degradation and environmental impact of these kinds of headphones are a serious bummer. I hope that can continue to be improved.
Yeah, this is where I'm at, my wife has Airpod Pros and they seem great, but generally worried about the environmental impact from them. Would love it if Apple found a good way to make sure that the battery didn't die out so quickly, or if they had a better plan to make them more easily recyclable.

Having the airpod line of products be essentially glued together in a way that you can't replace a single component without replacing the entire thing is a bummer.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I was skeptical for a long time because of how stupid they looked, but as someone who listens to podcasts and music when doing chores, getting groceries, going for a walk anywhere, etc. they've been a real gamechanger. No headphones getting caught on something and being ripped out of ears. No more having to fumble for which pair fits into which port.

Aren't they still terrible for the environment because they're basically disposable?
Just speaking for myself, I have had to buy many many pairs of headphones over the years, largely because of how quickly they end up deteriorating. I've had my airpods for almost two years now, the quality is still great, and I see no reason to buy anything new anytime soon.