• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 17, 2018
Agreed, not too far in but it's exactly what I was looking for. I don't care for UBIsoft at all but I wanted to support this game as it looked awesome.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's an absolutely gem. I've said this in other threads already but I think this is gonna have legs (in terms of discussion) throughout 2021 as people pick this up in deep discount sales. I think we're gonna see tons of pleasantly surprised LTTP threads for it.

It's really great and I can't wait for more people to play it.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
After playing valhalla game seems like garbage in comparison, vaults are irritating busy work (versus valhalla side quests which are great) and storytelling "funny" like borderlands makes me cringe

Highly regret buying this game. Went digital unfortunately

Combat is good, and I have a feeling if they launched this much earlier than valhalla I could enjoy it but valhalla PS5 60 fps and incredible graphics with a good story is so superior its ridiculous

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I picked this up for £30 on sale yesterday and it's great.

You can get this or Legion for £30 each at Tesco's in the UK. Pretty good deals.

After playing valhalla game seems like garbage in comparison, vaults are irritating busy work (versus valhalla side quests which are great) and storytelling "funny" like borderlands makes me cringe

Combat is good, and I have a feeling if they launched this much earlier than valhalla I could enjoy it but valhalla PS5 60 fps and incredible graphics with a good story is so superior its ridiculous

Complete opposite for me. I quit playing Valhala and love Immortals. It's hard to compare them because they're very different games but I think the SkillUp review accurately encompasses my thoughts on Valhala vs Immortals. Valhala is a long and unfocused game that's extremely keen to waste a tonne of the players time on tedious busy work, and doesn't have enough substance to its combat to justify its runtime.

In fact, after a few hours, you'll notice that Valhala's combat just falls apart. You can simply mash your way through the entire game, without any thought. Mash the heavy button to kill every enemy. And beyond combat, what source of challenge is there in Valhala? I enjoyed the puzzles and whatnot in Immortals which help break up the pace.

Whether you enjoy the story or not is very subjective, but I like the less serious approach. It reminds me of playing something like an open world Ratchet and Clank game. In general, Immortals gave me strong collectathon platformer vibes, which is neat as I like that genre of game.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I love environmental puzzle games, so the vaults are really fun for me. This is the ideal game to quickly dip in and out of between other games, and that's not a knock. It's weirdly replaced Rocket League at the moment as my go-to when I want a quick blast of fun for 20 mins.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017

You can get this or Legion for £30 each at Tesco's in the UK. Pretty good deals.

Complete opposite for me. I quit playing Valhala and love Immortals. It's hard to compare them because they're very different games but I think the SkillUp review accurately encompasses my thoughts on Valhala vs Immortals. Valhala is a long and unfocused game that's extremely keen to waste a tonne of the players time on tedious busy work, and doesn't have enough substance to its combat to justify its runtime.

In fact, after a few hours, you'll notice that Valhala's combat just falls apart. You can simply mash your way through the entire game, without any thought. Mash the heavy button to kill every enemy. And beyond combat, what source of challenge is there in Valhala? I enjoyed the puzzles and whatnot in Immortals which help break up the pace.

Whether you enjoy the story or not is very subjective, but I like the less serious approach. It reminds me of playing something like an open world Ratchet and Clank game. In general, Immortals gave me strong collectathon platformer vibes, which is neat as I like that genre of game.

Yeah I mean its purely subjective. I hate "puzzles", and thats a priority for fenyx if you want to get good upgrades. Valhalla was like witcher 3 for me where I actually sought out side quests (eg the "?" in witcher 3). Also I connected a lot more with the serious tone of the story in Valhalla.

Given that, fenyx to me is boring time wasting filler. The "puzzles" suck IMO and drag down the pacing, I wish they would make them completely optional (like Valhalla synchronize/corruption puzzles). and they went overboard with the amount of destructible elements like bushes trees etc.

Also graphics are a lot better in valhalla there's weird popin on fenrix so its a surprisingly ugly game on PS5 in comparison. I think BOTW looks better despite being miles behind fenyx technically

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Had to pick it up after seeing all the praise. Not sure when i'll have time for it though, but i doubt it'll be priced as low for a while.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those few games I don't even want to try because the art-style and humour are so off-putting for me. It also looks like an inferior BotW rip-off.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the writing wasn't pure borderlands cringe and the characters looked like something that's.. not this

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Absolute opposite for me ironically. Id say Valhalla is one of the worst games I've ever played(100% ubisofts worst), least rewarding stories not remotely worth pushing yourself through, and after my time with it I'm honestly thinking it's killed my interest in an IP that I've bought every single entry of so far. Meanwhile I'm really enjoying immortals.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I wish the writing wasn't pure borderlands cringe and the characters looked like something that's.. not this
yeah I think I would like the game witth a more serious tone and more interesting main character (eg like Kassandra of odyssey)

game completely lacks a sense of urgency since the only driving factor is getting to new areas and levelling up. Main character has no charisma and game is tone deaf given the lore.

shame because combat is great. would have been ok buying at $20 but value is very offset compared to valhalla.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Absolute opposite for me ironically. Id say Valhalla is one of the worst games I've ever played(100% ubisofts worst), least rewarding stories not remotely worth pushing yourself through, and after my time with it I'm honestly thinking it's killed my interest in an IP that I've bought every single entry of so far. Meanwhile I'm really enjoying immortals.

what do you like about immortals? (not being cynical actually interested)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, early on still, but really loving it. They learned some good lessons from BOTW and added their own charm in addition. It's frankly a great game, and I love the combat as well.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I like it, but I don't think it's like Sands of Time and Splinter Cell and other 2002-2003 era Ubisoft games. These were super tight, mechanically focused games that were so anti-checklist in design that your head would spin if you tried to break the framework. I miss those. Immortals is good but I have a lot I dislike about it: the writing is generally cringeworthy and I think the combat, at least 5+ hours in, is pretty boring. Maybe it gets better when you unlock more.

Also IT HAS SLIDING TILE PUZZLES HOLY SHIT AHHH

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
This feels like the Watch Dogs 2 of this year - a Ubisoft title that just gets lost in the mix but then gains a pseudo cult following afterwards. But I have to say I think Immortals is far better than Watch Dogs in crafting something unique (at least among Ubi open world titles, even if it did borrow from BOTW)

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I like it, but I don't think it's like Sands of Time and Splinter Cell and other 2002-2003 era Ubisoft games. These were super tight, mechanically focused games that were so anti-checklist in design that your head would spin if you tried to break the framework. I miss those. Immortals is good but I have a lot I dislike about it: the writing is generally cringeworthy and I think the combat, at least 5+ hours in, is pretty boring. Maybe it gets better when you unlock more.

Also IT HAS SLIDING TILE PUZZLES HOLY SHIT AHHH

I hate puzzles eg sliding puzzles. its just mental busy work. Given games often have easy modes, I would like a "skip puzzles" option in all games because I find puzzles irritating and a slog of mental effot for something that wasnt interesting in nature. Eg sliding puzzles as with other puzzles is just a trial of "can I be bothered" and when completed instead of feeling accomplishment I just feel its glad its over

this isn't directed at fenyx alone, its any game with puzzles

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what do you like about immortals? (not being cynical actually interested)
Honestly I like the surprise of being able to find cool new gear even if its just cosmetic, from a fairly decent number of the chests. I think that was totally what pulled me out in AC tbh. I'm used to the busy work of them, but in the last two this would often lead to some interesting new armour or weapons to mess with. Thats been dialed back really far with AC but still exists in Immortals so I feel like I get something back from my time at least.

With AC I could have definitely forgiven it if the story came together but I felt short handed on that front too so I guess I feel like I'm getting nothing back for my time there. The story feels like it has more direction in Immortals too which goes a long way for me. And tbh, the colorful world is pulling me in more too. In general I'd say the game has a light hearted vibe that is refreshing right now

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
This feels like the Watch Dogs 2 of this year - a Ubisoft title that just gets lost in the mix but then gains a pseudo cult following afterwards. But I have to say I think Immortals is far better than Watch Dogs in crafting something unique (at least among Ubi open world titles, even if it did borrow from BOTW)

Its really weird timing. perhaps this and valhalla originally had quite different release dates.

also I prefer all the watchdog games to feynix

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Everything looks and sounds rad except the character designs. Strong vibes of a F2P mobile game.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I like the surprise of being able to find cool new gear even if its just cosmetic, from a fairly decent number of the chests. I think that was totally what pulled me out in AC tbh. I'm used to the busy work of them, but in the last two this would often lead to some interesting new armour or weapons to mess with. Thats been dialed back really far with AC but still exists in Immortals so I feel like I get something back from my time at least.

With AC I could have definitely forgiven it if the story came together but I felt short handed on that front too so I guess I feel like I'm getting nothing back for my time there. The story feels like it has more direction in Immortals too which goes a long way for me. And tbh, the colorful world is pulling me in more too. In general I'd say the game has a light hearted vibe that is refreshing right now

yeah gear in valhalla is disappointing to say the least.

fenyx game is so colorful and I dont know why I dont like this game (eg I loved reckoning and to a lesser degree BOTW) maybe its because I had played genshin impact before so the art style wasn't distinct. and the story/writing is "cringe" as someone else said

well I have the game digital so I feel obligated to play it. I cant believe I preferred godfall to this game.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those few games I don't even want to try because the art-style and humour are so off-putting for me. It also looks like an inferior BotW rip-off.
I agree that the art style is rather mobile game'ish and the male Fenyx looks very weird. Beards make characters look even more doll-like.

Re: writing. I've had a couple of chuckles so far, but much of the writing for Fenyx feels too childish and comical. Feels like they wanted Fenyx to wink or spazz out whenever there's a short break in the dialogue. I can definitely see myself skipping dialogue and cutscenes in the future.

That said, the color palette when you arrive in the second area is just simply gorgeous. I'm on Switch so it probably looks even better on a more powerful console.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I forget Elia Tofexus was in this so when I read Adam Jensen was in the game I was like "Isn't Deus Ex a Square Enix game?"

I'll have to keep an ear out for him when I play.

I'd also forgotten he was in the Expanse when I went to watch it a few months ago, so it was funny to see him show up. I remember those hilarious videos he did with Michael Mando back around Far cry 3.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Ah man, I read PoP era Ubi and thought this would be some tight mission/level based game for a minute. I can't do another open world game anytime soon but it does look charming otherwise, yea.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How does this run on PS4 Pro?

Come to think of it I also have no ideal how Valhalla runs on PS4 Pro

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I does have that PS2 era platformer kind of vibe to it, although it's more aping on BotW than anything else. It has that Saturday morning cartoon feeling that Ubisoft used to do a lot during that time. Even if the humor is pretty cringe at times, I am enjoying the writing for the most part.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017

This is just a blatant lie. Say what you will about Valhalla's combat but on the more higher difficulties the game definitely does not become a button mash to win game. I'd suggest playing the game more than a ''few hours'' because once you reach a certain point in the game the huge amount of story raids and combat encounters makes you wish you could button mash your wait out of it.

My apologies for derailing the thread but I really had to comment on this. If you like Immortals more than Valhalla then that is your opinion but please do not spread lies.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Renting this at the moment. I really don't care for most AAA open world games, but this is a pleasant surprise. I'm curious if it will sustain my interest over 20-30 hours but I'm about 1/3 through the campaign so far and having a lot of fun.

I like that it's not just relentless combat and it doesn't hard-sell you on the side content much. Got a feeling the formula could end up feeling repetitive by the end but I'm enjoying the lighthearted tone and how chill it is compared to most Ubisoft collectathon games.

EDIT: Surprised so many people are calling the writing cringe. I'm digging how goofy/silly it is, but different strokes I guess lmao.

Last edited:

Kilirath

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up the other night on sale for XSX. Got to say that instantly this game felt much more enjoyable than Valhalla. Have about 50 hours in Valhalla and always just felt that something is off with that game, like I was just playing it for the sake of it. Immortals has been completely different so far (admittedly I'm only 5-6 hours in) and seems much more enjoyable. I particularly enjoy what I've seen of the vaults so far and I'm curious to see how well the game handles the vault puzzles later on in terms of challenge and avoid too much repetitiveness.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is just a blatant lie. Say what you will about Valhalla's combat but on the more higher difficulties the game definitely does not become a button mash to win game. I'd suggest playing the game more than a ''few hours'' because once you reach a certain point in the game the huge amount of story raids and combat encounters makes you wish you could button mash your wait out of it.

My apologies for derailing the thread but I really had to comment on this. If you like Immortals more than Valhalla then that is your opinion but please do not spread lies.

You shouldn't have to up the difficulty to get a non-brainless experience of the game. Normal difficulty should represent the design intentions.

In general my thoughts are represented in this review, and no, it's not a lie to say that you're able to mash your way through the game.

In the video, he talks about the combat around the 13 minute mark.

I'd also like to add that I find it very odd that you would call someone a liar about the subjective experiences that they've had on a video game. At the end of the day, my experience of Valhala was not a good one, but that was my own experience, not yours. You're welcome to experience the game differently, I just really did not like it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Can anyone who's finished it talk about the difficulty? I've just beaten the first of the main bosses and the game warned me it would be "tough" but I breezed through it despite doing only minimal upgrades. I kinda just wanna keep cruising along the critical path without having to spend hours farming ambrosia or upping my stats.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah gear in valhalla is disappointing to say the least.

fenyx game is so colorful and I dont know why I dont like this game (eg I loved reckoning and to a lesser degree BOTW) maybe its because I had played genshin impact before so the art style wasn't distinct. and the story/writing is "cringe" as someone else said

well I have the game digital so I feel obligated to play it. I cant believe I preferred godfall to this game.

Yeah I think the game sits in an odd place where most will either love or hate this or Valhalla but very few will be a fan of both. Tbh I can get the artstyle issue having come from Genshin. I've had almost the polar opposite there too where I started trying Genshin on my phone after and haven't really managed to get into it, probably a bit too similar a game back to back causing that.

I do hope though, that even if they don't make a sequel to Immortals, that Ubisoft continue to try this sort of smaller game made by a studio. I kinda feel that their approach of having all their studios work on some of their games is the biggest culprit for bits of Valhalla that turned me away.