• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
1. This is quite literally Breath of the Wild with Darksiders combat. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this but this combination really works for me even though it feels derivative to the point of being plagiarism.

2. Stadia is still an ungodly mess and I never want to touch it again.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I want to give this a spin -- is Stadia over Wifi any good?

I tried it using my phone as a wifi card, had 0 problems.

The game is actually a lot better than I thought. The back and forth between the gods was actually pretty funny at times and the combat seemed pretty solid. I'll certainly give this a try at some point.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I want to give this a spin -- is Stadia over Wifi any good?

Depends on the type of WiFi you have and it's connectivity. I have 950/950 and I played it downstairs on my computer which only gets 200-300 of that 950 and all the stadia games play perfectly fine. Fenix ran silky smooth, well as smooth as you can expect from a 30fps demo lol.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems ok. The banter is a bit much for me, not sure whether the combat relying so heavily on the abilities will feel great, and it's very strange how they straight up lifted some things from BotW but not others, in some situations like carrying and moving the boxes it seems like they would have been better off more directly copying it.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The game is...not good. Exploration seems bad unless the demo is just empty. Combat feels like F2P. Also devs, please stop adding stamina bars in all open world games, IT SUCKS.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Something just didnt feel right. No suprising for Stadia. As for the game, maybe once its heavily discounted? Or ill jsut watch someone stream it.
Played it for 5 minutes to see how the combat felt and turned it off. The resolution and frame rate were bothering me too much. I have gigabit internet Its not a knock on the game more of a knock on stadia.
I came to this thread hoping that people would be pleasantly surprised by STADIA's performance, but I was more surprised at some of the responses. I'm actually shocked. I've never heard of poor performance with fiber/gigabit connections. Like...that's the IDEAL situation. I have a similar setup to what someone else here posted: 945/940 w/ about 250-300 wifi, and the game plays GLORIOUSLY on my iPAD w/xbox One controller. InfinitePotat0 experience was...interesting.

I've been a Stadia convert for months now. All of the lag issues that I had in my old apartment have disappeared. Now, I'm buying all of my big AAA on Stadia. Including Cyberpunk. But yeah, i'm very curious about how your fiber connection runs so poorly and with such lag that you were burned within 5 minutes.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the tech reason why some games are 60fps and some are 30 and foggy. Is it not a case of their servers running the best possible settings of the game?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this. Takes the stuff I like about BOTW and has more fun combat, more linear progression, no weapon damage, and stamina is more forgiving. Basically BOTW with more handholding and humor. MUCH more up my alley than that game.

30fps was...not great, though.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Was not expecting to like the game as much as I did. Stadia is perfect for demos like this. No need to wait for the download, just click and play. I'm sure it'll look really good on next gen consoles. It looked "fine" with streaming. I'm also used to playing stuff on xCloud tho, so maybe I'm just used to the way streaming games look, lol. The game went from "Wait for Sale" to "Day One" for Series X. I really enjoyed it! :)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I came to this thread hoping that people would be pleasantly surprised by STADIA's performance, but I was more surprised at some of the responses. I'm actually shocked. I've never heard of poor performance with fiber/gigabit connections. Like...that's the IDEAL situation. I have a similar setup to what someone else here posted: 945/940 w/ about 250-300 wifi, and the game plays GLORIOUSLY on my iPAD w/xbox One controller. InfinitePotat0 experience was...interesting.

I've been a Stadia convert for months now. All of the lag issues that I had in my old apartment have disappeared. Now, I'm buying all of my big AAA on Stadia. Including Cyberpunk. But yeah, i'm very curious about how your fiber connection runs so poorly and with such lag that you were burned within 5 minutes.
Doesn't this largely depend on where you live in relation to a data centre? Latency?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Agreed that the writing was not good but I enjoyed the Darksiders/BotW combo of the gameplay. And we got an armor set for the full game.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Normally that would be the easy choice, yeah. But this will be played with the kids so I need the couch and then it depends on how the PC version plays/looks through Geforce Now, or maybe Steam Link but Geforce Now is better at the moment since the hardware is better than what I currently have. Might go with the Xbox Series X version if it's good. DF will hopefully help me decide.

Looks wonderful on Stadia too though!
L8Aemow.jpg

Look at all those colors! 😍

Why can't you cut the grass though? Missed opportunity to be even more Zelda!

30fps in 2020 gets me frowning too, but I still wouldn't hesitate to jump in there going by what I played on the demo, plays great 👍

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Finished the demo
Gameplay is really fun
Stadia runs pretty well
But holy shit the image quality is bad, so blurry
Also the narration is straight up bad, really hope they ease off of it after the tutorial area

SalvadorDagi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm at a loss seeing so many people have issues with Stadia. I've got a 300Mb down, so getting ~200 over WiFi and Fenyx (and Grid, F1 2020 and Orcs Must Die) runs perfectly fine in 4k. No hitches/drops or issues. Maybe it's because I'm running on a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the TV.

Liked the game far more than I thought I would. Pre-ordered.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The narration is insufferable and it kills any drive to think about progressing in the game further. The rest of the game feels very by the numbers, but it would be fine if it wasn't thinking it was hilarious all the way through.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Man its really rough playing this after 60 fps genshin impact, felt sluggish and jerky framerate very poor considering the fairly simplistic visuals and obviously blurry image quality. And the Stadia is supposedly as powerful as the PC I ran genshin on.

Game kinda makes me feel like Stadia has no future being so underpowered. It was awesome to quick launch the game without an install but I think these demos will be great to see if you like the gameplay but then buy on a different platform. For example I was sold on this game so will get it but on PC or PS5.

As far as the game is concerned, I think it would be good at a higher framerate but its unfortunate coming after having played genshin, for free no less. I didnt really enjoy the humor this game seems to have.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I don't get the tech reason why some games are 60fps and some are 30 and foggy. Is it not a case of their servers running the best possible settings of the game?

Stadia runs on Linux so games need to be ported if they don't have a Linux version already. Some devs will just make the game run at normal settings and call it a day.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
I played this giving Immortals and Stadia a chance. Stadia actually performed better than I expected. Immortals, however, I did not expect to be so obnoxious.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the demo. Not bad overall, I could see the writing getting corny a fair bit and I'm not convinced the exploration's gonna be as good as BOTW, but seems like it'll be pretty fun regardless.

Unfortunately, I'm literally playing through AC Odyssey right now and the combat is almost exactly the same, so to avoid gameplay and setting fatigue, it's less likely I'll be getting this right away. Maybe next year.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very pleasantly surprised. Not day 1, but almost certainly gonna pick this up down the line.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
From what I watched I didn't like it, the writing/humour came across very poor, and the gameplay didn't look great (but I only lasted 10 minutes of the 20 minute gameplay so it could have improved), but what with the poor writing I don't think I could handle it.

Good to have a demo for people though....

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty cool. Very weird playing this right after Genshin Impact, but it's OK. I can't stand the writing though, it tries to be funny and it's just not. At all. I probably won't play it unless with some deep discount.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at a loss seeing so many people have issues with Stadia. I've got a 300Mb down, so getting ~200 over WiFi and Fenyx (and Grid, F1 2020 and Orcs Must Die) runs perfectly fine in 4k. No hitches/drops or issues. Maybe it's because I'm running on a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the TV.

Liked the game far more than I thought I would. Pre-ordered.
Back at the launch there were many who experienced stuttering on Stadia on PC, me included, but on Chromecast Ultra everything ran smoothly.
I thought they had fixed that though.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I enjoyed the visuals and the gameplay, but the "humor" is extremely off-putting. I can suffer through it for a demo, but not a whole game.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Its interesting to read just how divided people are on the games writing. It feels like a 50/50 split between people who hated it and people who enjoyed it.
Personally I thought it was enjoyable, and even clever in places - if you paid attention.
Also if anyone at Ubisoft says their games aren't political:
Zeus: "So maybe that's the secret of the Gods: Oppression!"

I see what you're trying to say Ubisoft. ;)

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved my time with this demo. I totally enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay. The combat felt really fun and satisfying and i'm liking the comedic tone after at first being somewhat sceptical i would like it. I fell off Assasins Creed after Unity but i would be interested to play the newer ones if they play similar to Fenyx. Like i'm really pleasently surprised how much i like the combat.

Oct 25, 2017
Played some last night and it was pretty alright. Combat seems fun enough, the world looks nice. Walking around on the ground and single jumping doesn't look or feel great, but I guess there will be a lot more running, gliding, or riding a mount.

Too much talking and the writing is more bad than good.

Also, the control layout was pretty bizarre IMO for the style of game it is. Rather than using the face buttons for light and heavy attack they went Souls-style with shoulder buttons, and ok, that's fine since there's a Souls-style lock on, I can wrap my head around that quickly, but why on earth did they put dodge on Square/X? I remapped dodge to Circle/B so that was fine. I also tried to remap some other stuff but the game doesn't automatically handle input conflicts so shit just because a mess to sort through, not knowing what most of the commands actually are on the control customization screen.

Lastly, why am I playing this game at 30fps on Stadia, a service that is supposed to be like using powerful hardware without paying for powerful hardware?

burnfout

Oct 27, 2017
This was pretty good. Account in seconds, connected my Ps4 controller and nice demo

Played perfectly.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I liked the demo.

Didn't like Stadia. The input lag was very offputting, and the visuals felt very compressed. It ran smoothly, considering it was 30fps. I'm not used to seeing 30fps on my PC so had to get used to that.

Its interesting to read just how divided people are on the games writing. It feels like a 50/50 split between people who hated it and people who enjoyed it.
Personally I thought it was enjoyable, and even clever in places - if you paid attention.

Reminds me of the TLOU2 threads, where people who didn't like the story or the ending were flagged as people who didn't understand it or not paying attention, when it's in your face and impossible to not understand.

People have got to stop assuming that when others don't like the writing, don't like the story, don't like the direction, it's not because they didn't understand it. Everyone who played the demo understood the dialogue, understood the direction and where they were going. It's clear as day, in your face. The 50/50 you see isn't those who got it vs those who didn't. I paid attention, I didn't like it. I found the dialogue to be overbearing, and didn't like the humor. It's just not for everyone.

Glad you enjoyed it though, the fact that a lot of people did shows that there's an audience for it!

Last edited:

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Also if anyone at Ubisoft says their games aren't political:
Zeus: "So maybe that's the secret of the Gods: Oppression!"

I see what you're trying to say Ubisoft. ;)
I find it ranges from meh to pretty amusing. And I usually heavily dislike the over the top humor in games like Sunset Overdrive, Borderlands, and Agents of Mayhem.

Oct 25, 2017
This really does sell the power of Stadia. There's no way I would download a 15GB demo for this, but jumping in immediately with Chrome is a great way to sample games.

I guess I'm in the niche of really liking the humor. Narrated by two old guys that aren't getting things quite right, but they are Zeus and Prometheus and Zeus is just rambling to his prisoner? FUCKING GOLD.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
This really does sell the power of Stadia. There's no way I would download a 15GB demo for this, but jumping in immediately with Chrome is a great way to sample games.

I would also use Stadia for demos, no interest in downloading them at all. But it's a nice way to sample a game. I can't see myself using Stadia in any other way though.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the demo. I liked what I played. Feels like a much more colorful Assassin's Creed. Will get in a sale later down the line.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

I guess I'm in the niche of really liking the humor. Narrated by two old guys that aren't getting things quite right, but they are Zeus and Prometheus and Zeus is just rambling to his prisoner? FUCKING GOLD.
I also enjoyed it overall. Parts of it were a little too much imo (the whole chicken thing was kinda borderline) but I thought the overall tone was pretty good. Guess it just appeals to my tastes more. In general I definitely don't see (hear?) anything that I'd consider unplayably bad

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
The humour made much more sense to me knowing this was a game made in Quebec, heh. I wonder if the French dub is actually the way to play this.

I'm from Québec, and don't understand why the humor made much more sense to you knowing this was a game made in Québec.

The game is written in English, and then localized in French.

Oct 28, 2017
Played some last night and it was pretty alright. Combat seems fun enough, the world looks nice. Walking around on the ground and single jumping doesn't look or feel great, but I guess there will be a lot more running, gliding, or riding a mount.

Too much talking and the writing is more bad than good.

Also, the control layout was pretty bizarre IMO for the style of game it is. Rather than using the face buttons for light and heavy attack they went Souls-style with shoulder buttons, and ok, that's fine since there's a Souls-style lock on, I can wrap my head around that quickly, but why on earth did they put dodge on Square/X? I remapped dodge to Circle/B so that was fine. I also tried to remap some other stuff but the game doesn't automatically handle input conflicts so shit just because a mess to sort through, not knowing what most of the commands actually are on the control customization screen.

Lastly, why am I playing this game at 30fps on Stadia, a service that is supposed to be like using powerful hardware without paying for powerful hardware?

X is typically dodge in most action games.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Seconded. I think it comes down to people's home networking setups. A buddy and I live in the same city with the same internet provider at the same bandwidth level. Stadia runs flawlessly for me no matter what device I'm using. He has frequent issues with the stream. He's getting a Nest Wifi setup this weekend, which is what I have, and I will be curious to see if that fixes his issues.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm from Québec, and don't understand why the humor made much more sense to you knowing this was a game made in Québec.

The game is written in English, and then localized in French.

I guess I just associate cheesy cutesy humor with Quebec. In my head this all sounds better in French but if it was written in English I'm probably wrong.

OP
OP
Rodrigues solitaire
Oct 28, 2019
Have they confirmed it will be 30fps at launch? This is still a demo afterall.

Odyssey runs dynamic 4K/30 or 1080/30 on Stadia as well for god knows what reason. Think they capped it at 30 and called it a day.

In contrast to The Division 2 and Breakpoint for example, both which run at 60fps at 1080p (unsure about 4K).