• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Need more BotW type games in my life! Hope a day 1 patch does solve some of the technical problems.

Oct 27, 2017
are there manual saves in this one? local saves? because ubisoft royally fucked up the saves in watch dogs for xbox, and this is the main thing that gives me hesitation on springing for this.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I find it amusing the complaints about the enemy variety given BoTW had the same issue haha. I haven't played Fenyx to know to what extent this was an issue, but perhaps Fenyx got inspired by one of the worse parts of BoTW.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm looking forward to trying this one out, I already have a month of uplay+ or whatever it's called for AC Valhalla, and getting to play 2 games for $15 sounds better than just 1 game.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
People will look at the high scoring reviews and think it's a good game, some folks will look at the low scoring reviews and think it's bad. Some will have their mind made up regardless before entering the thread and will only pick the reviews that falls in line with their confirmation bias.

However I think it's a fair point to bring up the overall majority of the reviews are more positive then negative. So those that use that single 3/10 review for a definitive decision while disregarding the other opinion pieces doesn't seem like looking at the greater scope as as whole.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been glancing over some of the positive reception just to see what it is they're seeing in this, because I gave it multiple chances in the Stadia demo (in its initial run in late October, and again last week), and just couldn't abide it.

The demo accomplished two remarkable things: it sold me hard on Stadia, but put me off both Immortals and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which I had been eyeing on sale. (Virtually everything I've heard about how Immortals recapitulates ACO is something I disliked about Immortals.) I know I've only experienced a fraction of the actual game, and maybe it just doesn't demo well when it throws so much in your face at once, but from what I've seen, it's practically discrediting to draw comparisons to BotW. That's the kind of thing you can only say with a straight face if you only have the most superficial understanding of what BotW brought to the table and zero appreciation for its quiet serenity. Everything here is just so noisy, from the menus to the move set to the itemization to the landmark density to the insufferable writing.

Just a rough demo, perhaps. On paper this sounded very interesting and totally up my alley, and I might poke around with it someday if I grab a month of Ubisoft+ to be a tourist in a bunch of games at once. But I couldn't believe how far off the demo experience was from how the game was billed, and I wonder sometimes if everyone else has just acclimatized to tolerating various excesses in the Ubisoft style that I am not so willing to accept. My impression, anyway, is that I've seen what there is to see.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This is coming out at a really unfortunate time for me, but I definitely want to play this. Between all the VR stuff I'm playing, the release of FFXIV 5.4 on the 8th and Cyberpunk on the 10th, not sure when I'll find time to play this.

All the same, I might just pick it up anyway because I really dig it.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
82 MC average seems pretty good, looking forward to it! I wasn't expecting it to hit the highs of BOTW, but it looks like it's a good game and has interesting exploration options (BOTW style), so I'm very excited to get started with it!

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The German gaming media has been all over this. 4Players, GamePro and Eurogamer all praising this with awards. Honestly looks pretty good and right up my alley. The game just releases at a pretty bad time for me between a lot of other stuff. But I'm looking forward to playing this game maybe over Christmas. Good on Ubisoft for doing something new!

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Uff - I don't know. As long as a game is at least competent, a 3/10 score seems really harsh. That's more like a score for bug ridden, incompetent and simply not fun for anyone type of games.

I probably won't play the game, the demo wasn't for me but even then a 3/10 seems super rough.
I totally agree, if a game plays competently, even if a bit generic, there's no way a 3/10 is fair.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Uff - I don't know. As long as a game is at least competent, a 3/10 score seems really harsh. That's more like a score for bug ridden, incompetent and simply not fun for anyone type of games.

I probably won't play the game, the demo wasn't for me but even then a 3/10 seems super rough.
Even more this game has way less bugs or even bugs compared to AC games for example.
ACG even talked about that. That it was great to play a Ubi game without alot of bugs or major ones.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
Is there any information about the length of this game? I'm interested by it but I don't think I can play a 50+ hours open-world game at the moment.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a particular reason why he would be banned? He has not been problematic at all based on the couple years I've been following him.
(And this is a legit question, not dismissing anything he might've done)
It's just some people on Era have an axe to grind with him. His main channel is absolutely great, publishing very in-depth analyses of games. I haven't been following his other channel lately (Laymen), but when I used to, I never encountered anything controversial. Era is unbearable with their hate towards anybody that has their own opinion - even when it's well-reasoned, and he always presents good arguments - or makes a comment they don't like. Just look at SkillUp's twitter - he's anti-Trump, pro-women, pro-minorities. And I'm sure there are many people here who appreciate his reviews, but are simply too scared to say anything positive in case they get banned. Which might happen to me, but I don't really give a shit.

And more on topic: his review of Fenyx made me genuinely interested in the game. I still might hate its writing, but if the rest of the game is as good, as he describes it, then yeah, it might be worth a try.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Gamekult gave it a 7

Without succeeding in reaching the incredible mastery of Breath of the Wild, Immortals Fenix Rising pulls off a little side step when it comes time to take out the tracing paper. Simpler, more "Ubisoft" and, above all, less radical, the Quebec title can still be played with a lot of pleasure, where one will sometimes choke a little complicit laughter at the antics of the fallen gods. Without restoring its letters of nobility to the word "Marvelous" as Zelda had done before him, we would have been too quick to see the soulless carbon copy that we had imagined until then. "It doesn't matter which bottle, as long as we have the ambrosia", as the other would say.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
It's just some people on Era have an axe to grind with him. His main channel is absolutely great, publishing very in-depth analyses of games. I haven't been following his other channel lately (Laymen), but when I used to, I never encountered anything controversial. Era is unbearable with their hate towards anybody that has their own opinion - even when it's well-reasoned, and he always presents good arguments - or makes a comment they don't like. Just look at SkillUp's twitter - he's anti-Trump, pro-women, pro-minorities. And I'm sure there are many people here who appreciate his reviews, but are simply too scared to say anything positive in case they get banned. Which might happen to me, but I don't really give a shit.

And more on topic: his review of Fenyx made me genuinely interested in the game. I still might hate its writing, but if the rest of the game is as good, as he describes it, then yeah, it might be worth a try.

Maybe you've missed these videos on his second channel:

pieceofshitx2fh1.png

He's pandering to gamergaters and alt-righters.

Superbunnyhop just posted his review:

Overall very positive impressions with nitpicks regarding wonky hitboxes, sometimes difficult to read attack animations and unpolished conversation animations.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020
Yeah, I saw that. Have you watched any of these?
Just a few of those and it was mostly filled with the same gamergate stuff, that "media is creating a narrative", and so on. The "outrage" youtube video titles are pretty much conveying their intent (Skillup and his brother).

Resetera doesn't just ban content creators "on a whim". That's what alt-righters like to say in their bubble, but it's simply not true.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Seems great, I didn't like BotW but will give a chance to this one if the weapons don't break.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): excusing alt-right content over multiple posts
Just a few of those and it was mostly filled with the same gamergate stuff, that "media is creating a narrative", and so on. The "outrage" youtube video titles are pretty much conveying their intent (Skillup and his brother).

Resetera doesn't just ban content creators "on a whim". That's what alt-righters like to say in their bubble, but it's simply not true.
He has his own opinions. It's sometimes good to listen. You are using this mosaic of YT videos the same way people who attack Monica Lewinsky decades after Clinton scandal. Other thing is that he never alludes to politics etc. in his main channel.

And just like I said - look at his Twitter. If he's an alt-righter, he masks it pretty well.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
He has his own opinions. It's sometimes good to listen. You are using this mosaic of YT videos the same way people who attack Monica Lewinsky decades after Clinton scandal. Other thing is that he never alludes to politics etc. in his main channel.

And just like I said - look at his Twitter. If he's an alt-righter, he masks it pretty well.

You're giving clicks and revenue to someone who spouts some pretty horrible shit on his other channel.
That, of course, is up to you and your own conscience. If you're fine with it, cool.

Janus

Oct 18, 2020

I hope you aren't serious... you're saying we should listen to gamergate stuff just because? WTF.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
You're giving clicks and revenue to someone who spouts some pretty horrible shit on his other channel.
That, of course, is up to you and your own conscience. If you're fine with it, cool.
I hope you aren't serious... you're saying we should listen to gamergate stuff just because? WTF.
First things first: I was talking about his main channel. Find me some gamergate stuff there.

Second: you've conveniently ignored what I wrote about his Twitter account.

Thirdly: have you seen his other channel lately? They publish reviews. Once in a while. Nothing more.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
First things first: I was talking about his main channel. Find me some gamergate stuff there.

Ehhh what? It's the same person. What does it matter (hyperbole alert) if Adolf Hitler also has a cooking channel that you follow?

Second: you've conveniently ignored what I wrote about his Twitter account.

I didn't _conveniently_ ignore it, it's not relevant. If someone is an alt-righter, it doesn't mean everything that comes out of his mouth has to be terrible OR that he can't mask it.

Thirdly: have you seen his other channel lately? They publish reviews. Once in a while. Nothing more.

Unbelievable as it may seem, I don't check up on channels like that regularly to see if they're still horrible.