• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Sorry for making this thread but im having quite a hard time confirming a few things.

Apparently both versions are essentially the same but both have their issues that are platform specific. Ps5 HAD micro stuttering which was fixed, but its still evident slightly.

Series x had screen tearing and still does ? If so for people that have OLED and VRR does this eliminate that? Or is it still apparent during gameplay ?

Im pulling my hair out deciding what version to get.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've played about 20 hours on PS5 since Christmas and haven't noticed any issues. It runs really well and looks great IMO.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
PS5. Ever since the micro stuttering issue has been fixed it's been perfect for me. Series X is great too but like you said you might see some tearing if you don't have a VRR capable TV but honestly that's rare. They are both GREAT versions in the 4k/60 mode. I own both versions btw (and on Switch lol).

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Really can't go wrong with either, to be honest. I wouldn't worry so much. If you have a hard time deciding, just flip a coin.

OP
OP

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
PS5. Ever since the micro stuttering issue has been fixed it's been perfect for me. Series X is great too but like you said you might see some tearing if you don't have a VRR capable TV but honestly that's rare. They are both GREAT versions in the 4k/60 mode. I own both versions btw (and on Switch lol).
Do you have an oled or vrr capable tv? Does it 100% eliminate the tearing?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017

Yes I have an LG CX and there is no tearing in this game or Valhalla for me. I have noticed this little stutter every now and then but I'm pretty sure that's just the VRR at work. I've disabled VRR and done tests on Valhalla and Fenyx Rising and there was slight tearing with VRR off.

The PS5 had brutal microstutter until the last patch that completely fixed that for me. Now it's my go to version since I love the DualSense integration.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Without a doubt buy the one with the controller you prefer. I prefer it on the DualSense.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I would suggest the Series X version since there is still some slight stuttering in the PS5 version. A person in the OT thread posted a video and you can see the small stuttering that still exist. It is a lot better than it was, but you can still see the stuttering slightly. If you have a VRR display, then hands down the Series X version.

OP
OP

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This is whats throwing me for a loop. Someone posted this with the latest patch on ps5. Its drastically different from when it first came out and fixes 99% of the micro stutters but I can still see it in this video.....and the host apparently does as well lol.

Does this behave the same on series x ?

[/QUOTE]

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
No specific dualsense features I take it?

It has trigger support adding tension to things like the bow shooting and lifting and pretty detailed vibration on the DualSense. It feels better than on an XBOX pad for me.

I have it on PC and PS5.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming that your videos show the problem exactly how it appears on the TV screen, then the answer is no. There is no microstutter like this on XSX. I am 10 hours into the game, didn't observe anything like that.

Technical issues I noticed on XSX version:
Some stuttering in cutscenes, especially early in the game.
There's still occasional screen tear for a few frames even with VRR enabled (Samsung TV here). With VRR disabled I would say tearing is excessive and almost unbearable.

So why did I pick XSX? No micro stuttering, larger SSD with more free space, and my XSX runs quieter than my PS5. I guess my Xbox really is turning into a multiplatform machine in the end, despite some early woes.

But this is just nitpicking, game runs great and looks beautiful.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
This is whats throwing me for a loop. Someone posted this with the latest patch on ps5. Its drastically different from when it first came out and fixes 99% of the micro stutters but I can still see it in this video.....and the host apparently does as well lol.

[/QUOTE]

Those are my videos. There is 100% stutter on PS5, but it's definitely something that some may not notice at all. Same with uneven frame pacing, some just don't see it. To me, it's annoying. The tearing on X became more obvious the further I got into the game. In the end I went with PS5 because I don't have a VRR tv, nor should I have to buy one.

I'll add that I'm enjoying the game so much that I'm overcoming my OCD. It's charming as hell and the puzzles and combat are really fun.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Yes I have an LG CX and there is no tearing in this game or Valhalla for me. I have noticed this little stutter every now and then but I'm pretty sure that's just the VRR at work. I've disabled VRR and done tests on Valhalla and Fenyx Rising and there was slight tearing with VRR off.

The PS5 had brutal microstutter until the last patch that completely fixed that for me. Now it's my go to version since I love the DualSense integration.
Same here. Lg cx and its all good.

Jun 17, 2018
I have it on Series X and its fine. Also looks to run fine on both consoles, so I would suggest you pick your favourite controller and play there.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Series X has had no issues so far, the 60 FPS mode seems all but locked. Quick Resume is great with it too.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I have had no problems with the ps5 version. Also I see nothing in those videos. Can someone explain what I should look for.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Depends on what you're willing to put up with. Series X tears frequently (my experience), and PS5 stutters according to some.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA

I have it on PS5 and I get no stutter at all on my LG CX using performance mode.
Stutter, frame pacing issues, etc are always very noticeable to me.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually regret buying it on PS5 as opposed to Xbox since my storage situation is extremely strained...you know, since we can't offload games to an external. The dualsense implementation is weak af. Aaaaand it keeps trying to install the PS4 version.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
I bought it for Xbox due to the larger storage and quick resume works great for a game like this (and I prefer the Xbox controller to the dualsense). Game probably runs the exact same on XSX/PS5.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I have a VRR TV. About 24 hours in Immortals so far. Noticed 0 tearing, in fact, I've only had one crash so far

So what's the final word, guys? About to pull the trigger on an Amazon buy.
I bought it on XSX. I've had pretty much no issues, I'd say its safe to buy there. Can't speak for the PS5 version

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017

[/QUOTE]
I might be seeing things but this seems like the type of slowdown I often see in always online games. Been playing some Genshin Impact and it does that a lot, but even worse at times than what I see here.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I had issues with the game on PS5, but the other 95% of the time with the game was flawless.

Other than this (which a console restart seemingly fixed) I had some streaming pop-in while gliding which I wasn't expecting based on the SSD.

K1ng P3n

Dec 15, 2018
I have a TV that supports VRR and I haven't noticed any screen tearing at all on my Xbox Series X.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I went XSX, which has been my third party workhorse. Quick Resume, easier storage management, and no screen tearing on my LG C9 made it an easy decision.

Rolling the dice on whether or not a game might have decent trigger support isn't nearly worthwhile enough for me to default to PS5 yet, the small storage alone is a big enough issue for me.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I went XSX, which has been my third party workhorse. Quick Resume, easier storage management, and no screen tearing on my LG C9 made it an easy decision.

Rolling the dice on whether or not a game might have decent trigger support isn't nearly worthwhile enough for me to default to PS5 yet, the small storage alone is a big enough issue for me.

This was my plan but seriously PS5 has been punching way above its weight so far. I keep trying to find games to get specifically on Series X but all the multiplatforms either run as good or even better on PS5. I think Cyberpunk might be the one exception if you run it in quality mode.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This was my plan but seriously PS5 has been punching way above its weight so far. I keep trying to find games to get specifically on Series X but all the multiplatforms either run as good or even better on PS5. I think Cyberpunk might be the one exception if you run it in quality mode.
In 95% of cases the differences are absolutely minimal. If I need to reference a digital foundry video to know the differences, they almost certainly don't matter. When there is a case where either console offers a substantial advantage, I'll absolutely play on that one. But for the vast majority of games I'll default to some of the QOL features that the XSX currently offers. When PS5 gets VRR and expandable storage options, it'll be less of an issue

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
In 95% of cases the differences are absolutely minimal. If I need to reference a digital foundry video to know the differences, they almost certainly don't matter. When there is a case where either console offers a substantial advantage, I'll absolutely play on that one. But for the vast majority of games I'll default to some of the QOL features that the XSX currently offers. When PS5 gets VRR and expandable storage options, it'll be less of an issue

I agree on your last 2 points especially. It's been really great having the 1TB expandable storage on the X. I don't seem to ever run out of space and the VRR has been great for the Ubisoft games so far.

This game looks so damn clean on XSX and PS5.