• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
easily my biggest surprise of the year, lvoed the 4-5 hours I played so far. Bit of a bummer that performance mode drops res so much on Series X tho, but I can't do quality mode (something I've been struggling with since getting my LGCX oled, I'm noticing 30fps stutter a lot more and it really bothers me)

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Does this game have that chill vibe like botw does when exploring
While some people here said yes, I definitely do not feel it. In BOTW I spent over 200 hours, most of them exploring. The design philosophy was such that you were on the way to do something, but something caught your eye, so you went just for a moment there, but on the way to that something else caught your eye, and before you realized it you were already totally off your trajectory and no longer knew what you intended originally - and that was absolutely fine (and fun). Here I spent something like 60 hours (I'm really at the end, just stuck), with the larger part advancing the story (I'm slow), exploration is ok initially but a lot less fun. Yes there are plenty of chests and such, but it's just not done in the same way (and that' ok).

The short of it - if you're looking for an overall good game to play that also has flight and climbing mechanics as well as a few others, get Fenyx Rising. If you're looking for the BOTW experience, wait for BOTW2.

Last edited:

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I wonder if Cyberpunk 2077 every challenged this for you knowing what we know now about Cyberpunk lol

Ha ha, yeah I think Immortals holds onto the top spot.

I was lucky enough with Cyberpunk that it ran well on my PC, and I didn't have a TON of crazy bugs. I played it for like 10 hours, liked what I played, then decided to come back to it in a few months after it's patched.

But holy shit, crazy to read how much of a mess that whole thing has been

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Ha ha, yeah I think Immortals holds onto the top spot.

I was lucky enough with Cyberpunk that it ran well on my PC, and I didn't have a TON of crazy bugs. I played it for like 10 hours, liked what I played, then decided to come back to it in a few months after it's patched.

But holy shit, crazy to read how much of a mess that whole thing has been

Yea same. I mean I know my PC won't run it well having a 1070gtx and an older i7 so I'm hoping the next gen patch works some wonders. I installed it on Series X and yea it's smooth at 60fps but it does not look good at all, so I'm going to wait until the next gen patch arrives next year and go from there.

In the meantime though Immortals is holding my attention. I even shelled out $40 for a copy of the Switch version and I'll use cross save between that and my PS5 version.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus did they really have to put another
giant vault to solve right towards the end of the game 😭
Not only that, they put near the end of this vault this platforming area made of columns, and I can't for the life of me pass between the 3rd and 4th column, I keep failing the jump. And there is no save spot at any of the columns, so I keep having to do all first 3 columns again and again and again :-(

Update: Success at last, as sometimes happens I returned to the game an hour later and after 3 attempts I somehow succeeded. Strangely I think (though am not sure) I used dash flying on the successful attempt, which doesn't make sense since dash flying usually lowers you right away, and this jump I kept failing was a jump up. Oh well.
Anyway, finished the game now, no interest in playing more after the end of the story, I've had my fill, but I will buy a sequel if there ever ends up being one.

Last edited:

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Resumed my playthrough of this. Got to the end of the observatory... Game breaking bug claiming the game is not fully installed. Apparently it's a known issue on ps5 that Ubisoft still has not solved. Trying to reinstall but ehh yeah this is how we know Ubisoft.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
After my copy of Cyberpunk was lost in the post (probably for the best) I am thinking of picking this up given the sale prices available. It was between this or AC Valhalla but this seems more to my liking given the more manageable length.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wrapped up the story this morning. All in all it took me about 40 hours to do a handful of side stuff, explore, and the main quest. I dunno that I'll do the NG+ mode but I'll probably pick away at it over time to wrap up all the vaults and finish Hermes Challenges. I had a lot of fun and am looking forward to the DLC and am hopeful that there's going to be a sequel.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wrapped up the story this morning. All in all it took me about 40 hours to do a handful of side stuff, explore, and the main quest. I dunno that I'll do the NG+ mode but I'll probably pick away at it over time to wrap up all the vaults and finish Hermes Challenges. I had a lot of fun and am looking forward to the DLC and am hopeful that there's going to be a sequel.
Oh boy im almost picking ir

Deleted member 84949

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2020
Took a 55h Cyberpunk detour because the ps5 judder problem. Finally came back and man i still love this game. 18h in now. Its just so effortless to play.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Snap! It's not been a great couple of weeks for my poor PC, what with Cyberpunk and now this. I also have a 1660 and if I want to play this 1080p/60 it's in Very Low settings :(
I'm ok with cyberpunk's performance but I expected better here, which is why I was disappointed. I eventually refunded it and got it on Series S.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
This game is on sale on EGS and Xbox Store, but not on PSN. Anyone know if there will be a sale there as well. I'd love to try this game on PS5, but not at full price...

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Just a quick question: Epic chests can be opened right after the start? I tried two and couldn't open them. Are there riddles or do I have to reach a certain point in the story?

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
if/when PSN updates to match the $40 sales price, I'm gonna pick this up. I figure it would drop in price fast, but not this fast.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Really fun game. This is probably the only game where I like trying to parry stuff. I wasn't too impressed with the visuals at first, but it improved dramatically after the starter area

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a quick question: Epic chests can be opened right after the start? I tried two and couldn't open them. Are there riddles or do I have to reach a certain point in the story?
Usually normal chest are just pick and grab, epic chest have puzzle or requirement. Guarded chest have monster to defeat

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also having that audio bug on the PC version. I thought it because I had Dolby Atmos for headphones turned on. The game also crashed on me last night...interestingly it was after switch over to full screen mode (the game only allows 60fps in borderless mode).

Technical issues aside, it is a enjoyable, light hearted game. The art style might not be everyones cup of tea, but I think the game really looks nice — colourful and charming visuals.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
I really dislike the controls in this game, I bought it for my BotW fix and have been completely disappointed. The physics with holding boulders is horrible and the fact that I can't break out of some animations is another annoying issue.

I looks alright but just like RDR2 this game might never get past 4-6 hours played for me. It runs great (PS5) but somethings off for me.

Like the climbing for instance, it has a lock on type feeling that doesn't suite the game at all. I'm fine with everything other than the way it handles entirely.

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing this for quite a while after receiving this today. I'm having a blast, it's super enjoyable.

Not sure I get the BOTW comparisons. The art style is similar, but this game has personality, good combat and an interesting world to explore that isn't barren and empty. Quite the opposite of BOTW.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike the controls in this game, I bought it for my BotW fix and have been completely disappointed. The physics with holding boulders is horrible and the fact that I can't break out of some animations is another annoying issue.

I looks alright but just like RDR2 this game might never get past 4-6 hours played for me. It runs great (PS5) but somethings off for me.

Like the climbing for instance, it has a lock on type feeling that doesn't suite the game at all. I'm fine with everything other than the way it handles entirely.
If you get stuck climbing you gotta let go of the left stick and then jump. I can't think of any other animation you could be stuck in. Everything is instant in this game.

I recommend unlocking climb jump and double jump (and "triple jump") asap if you haven't already.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Just came across my second Epic mount... this time I recorded where I was!

Probably could have tamed him quicker but he was staring me down so thought he was gonna bolt if I approached him.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought it, for now it seems pretty good, but the second dungeon made my game crawl at times lol
Also, any idea if hrd is any good? I wanna use my low-spec hdr monitor, but haven't used it in any other game for now.

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought it, for now it seems pretty good, but the second dungeon made my game crawl at times lol
Also, any idea if hrd is any good? I wanna use my low-spec hdr monitor, but haven't used it in any other game for now.
HDR is a bit strange in this game. The game initially starts off quite muted and looks really washed out to the point I assumed something was wrong. But after moving to the next area, the HDR looks glorious so there you go.

The HUD is quite dim though. I suspect Ubi did this to avoid the eye-searingly bright white text that some games have with HDR turned on, but I think they might have overdone it a tad.

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
Resumed my playthrough of this. Got to the end of the observatory... Game breaking bug claiming the game is not fully installed. Apparently it's a known issue on ps5 that Ubisoft still has not solved. Trying to reinstall but ehh yeah this is how we know Ubisoft.
I had the same problem, Hermes keeps saying "still prepping" and wouldn't let you advance the story, right? I found a solution myself, didn't need to do a full reinstall. I went back to the home screen of the PS5, pressed Option on the Immortals icon > Manage Game Content and found some language packs were half downloaded or not installed at all, and strangely the English pack stopped at around 90%. I continued the download and voila, solved the problem for me.

It uses the dualsense features in any way?
It does have trigger resistance when you use the bow. Haven't noticed anything else other than that.

Just came across my second Epic mount... this time I recorded where I was!
A bit disappointed that the epic mounts are basically just horses. Let us ride the bears! Boars! Lions! Cerberus!!! Giant chicken!!!!

Last edited:

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I had the same problem, Hermes keeps saying "still prepping" and wouldn't let you advance the story, right? I found a solution myself, didn't need to do a full reinstall. I went back to the home screen of the PS5, pressed Option on the Immortals icon > Manage Game Content and found some language packs were half downloaded or not installed at all, and strangely the English pack stopped at around 90%. I continued the download and voila, solved the problem for me.
Going to try this tonight, thanks! Surprised this wasn't fixed in last week's patch.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
The HUD is quite dim though. I suspect Ubi did this to avoid the eye-searingly bright white text that some games have with HDR turned on, but I think they might have overdone it a tad.

Thanks for mentioning this. I tried HDR in the first area and as you noted, it looked a bit washed out so I turned it off and hadn't thought to try again once I reached the next area. The big thing that made me think something was off though was how dim the HUD got, so thinking this may have been intentional (even if a bit overdone) definitely makes me want to give it another go.

It uses the dualsense features in any way?

It does have trigger resistance when you use the bow. Haven't noticed anything else other than that.

The other implementation with the triggers that I noticed is when you are in "focus" mode to identify interest points on the map. The right trigger will actively pulse when you find something, it's a really cool sensation.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
$40 well spent on the Series X version. There's some infrequent screen tearing, but that's my only complaint so far. It's a lovely take on Breath of the Wild that the whole family has enjoyed watching. Some of the traversal upgrades probably should have been unlocked from the start; I'd be having a miserable time without the air/water dash and climbing jump.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for mentioning this. I tried HDR in the first area and as you noted, it looked a bit washed out so I turned it off and hadn't thought to try again once I reached the next area. The big thing that made me think something was off though was how dim the HUD got, so thinking this may have been intentional (even if a bit overdone) definitely makes me want to give it another go.

Yeah, gliding from the Clashing Rocks to the Valley of the Eternal Spring for the first time was the big wow moment where HDR was concerned. The game instantly went from dim and washed out, to colourful, bright and gorgeous!

I hope they do adjust the HUD though. It was super jarring when the game title appeared on screen after the prologue and it was all grey and washed out against a bright and saturated backdrop. Cyberpunk, for all it's many, many flaws, allows you to adjust the brightness of the UI separate from the main image, which more developers should do.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Thinking about snagging this while it's on sale. For PC players how bad is the loading on HDD? I saw an SSD is recommended.

Loading is not bad by any means on SSD and it rarely happens (only when u boot up and fast travel) but it does take a few seconds...I fear an HDD would struggle. I'd say buy the game either way it's worth it.