• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
After close to 20hours im pretty burnt one the game. The puzzles dont evolve much and are almost as simplistic as at the beggining and there just so many of them. The world is so dense that nothing really stands out anymore. Combat also hasnt gotten much more involved. The main story is pretty bad with some funny moments. I think Im just gonna mainline the game to end quickly. Can you go straight to the volcano and go to endgame?

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
While I like the game I have difficulty with the 'precision movement challenges'. Just done The Messengers Path vault (The one in the Valley of Eternal Spring with the stamina depletion cloud around it) and the second section, where you have to go through a hole in the wall, was nigh on impossible for me. What I think the game expected me to do PS5 controls):

Jump ( X )​
Double Jump ( X )​
Ares's Wrath ( L1+X )​
Athena's Dash ( L1+[] )​
Jump ( X )​
Glide ( O )​
Glide Boost ( [] )​
And I just couldn't get the sequence out of my fingers.​
While not frustrating, in normal traversal the fact that you have to hit three different buttons to even get into Glide Boost feels wrong. I've now changed the glide to be also on X and long jump to "Press"and see if that gives me a better experience. And I saw an option to go directly go into the map instead of the equipment menu, which is way more relevant to me.​

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So I have to say, I was really digging this through most of the first area, but in the second area (Ares' area to be specific, I assume you can tackle them however you want), it feels like the game has really grinded to a halt, because of these long ass and kind of dull puzzles. I really hope that's more of like a thing for Ares and the other areas are more balanced like Aphrodite's area or I may have to tap out in the next one.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a four-day weekend coming up and this game is at the top of my list... but I'm waiting for a PS5 patch to address the screen tearing and broken haptics. Here's to hoping we get it soon.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
So I have to say, I was really digging this through most of the first area, but in the second area (Ares' area to be specific, I assume you can tackle them however you want), it feels like the game has really grinded to a halt, because of these long ass and kind of dull puzzles. I really hope that's more of like a thing for Ares and the other areas are more balanced like Aphrodite's area or I may have to tap out in the next one.

I ended up doing Ares area 4th and it flew by. Probably because I had all of the abilities and I could shortcut stuff. There are a lot of puzzles where having both Athena's Dash (with laser immunity) and Heavy Gauntlet Lifting upgrade make a huge diff.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I ended up doing Ares area 4th and it flew by. Probably because I had all of the abilities and I could shortcut stuff. There are a lot of puzzles where having both Athena's Dash (with laser immunity) and Heavy Gauntlet Lifting upgrade make a huge diff.

There's not really many lasers and I don't see how the lifting upgrade would matter? Does that affect the floating boxes that you have to dick around With for ages in his vault?

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Was only able to play the first 30 minutes or so of the game so far -- one thing confused me: is it implied that the main character's brother and Zeus were fucking?

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
There's not really many lasers and I don't see how the lifting upgrade would matter? Does that affect the floating boxes that you have to dick around With for ages in his vault?

Ahh, for that I meant it was more about solving some of the world puzzles that use the heavy block and ask you to push them. With the gauntlet upgrade, it's just a matter of picking them up and skipping all the pushing sequences. The Athena dash with laser upgrade was also handy for some puzzles. I felt I was able to skip many steps because I had it. I also use it for traversal but you don't need the laser upgrade, of course.

You are right about his actual dungeon... I think I only used Wrath and Athena's to skip some stuff, but in many cases, you actually had to do the puzzle parts of it.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
There is a dualsense update out today.
I will try it and hope it fixes the game haptics bug.

Although I doubt it's the controller and not the game

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I am still not sure. Some of Zeus' other dialogue seems to imply that he was sleeping with Achilles and then the main character's brother also had some relationship with Achilles and that's why he has the sword on him.

I mean, yeah, you got it. Zeus is mad that he didn't get a gift for fucking Achilles like Fenyx's brother did. There's tons of very thinly veiled jokes like that. When you rescue both Ares and Aphrodite and they are both in the hall you can overhear a conversation about how she wanted to fuck him as a chicken, for instance.

Edit: No, not Zeus and her brother, though. I see what you mean now. It's Achilles for both

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone using a custom controller layout for this?

It feels really weird to me to have the combat on the triggers and the dodge on the face buttons. Trying to think of a good way to do it, but there's so many controls, I'm not sure. Anything I change results in a conflict.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone using a custom controller layout for this?

It feels really weird to me to have the combat on the triggers and the dodge on the face buttons. Trying to think of a good way to do it, but there's so many controls, I'm not sure. Anything I change results in a conflict.
yeah I tried to change dodge to circle and that broke a bunch of things.

Pretty useless to have customizable controls if they are pretty hard to change.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Have had this since last week for the Switch but finally had a chance to log some serious time with it. It hasn't quite "clicked" for me yet but I'm sure it will. It's good but it does lay out how Nintendo really is in a league of their own. I kinda wish I wouldn't have heard people comparing the two.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Have had this since last week for the Switch but finally had a chance to log some serious time with it. It hasn't quite "clicked" for me yet but I'm sure it will. It's good but it does lay out how Nintendo really is in a league of their own. I kinda wish I wouldn't have heard people comparing the two.
That's how I feel after 9 hours. It's a good game but not anywhere on the same level as BOTW

Deleted member 84949

Banned
Nov 8, 2020
Okay noticed something pretty wild about the hdr on PS5. Because of the washed out look in the overworld ive been putting the PS5 to RGB Full and TV to low black levels. This usually leads to black crush and bad results but with this game its looked right. Today i went in to a vault and suddenly there was major black crush even in the menus. Came back to the overworld and everything looked right again. The game is switching between rgb ranges on the fly. Never seen anything do this.

Not sure if this is because of the "Automatic" setting on PS5 which in the UI means full range but maybe that can change in games?

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
That's how I feel after 9 hours. It's a good game but not anywhere on the same level as BOTW

I'm around 10 hours in and I gotta say I'm having way more fun with this than I had in 20 hours BotW (that's when I decided to drop it). It controls way better, it looks way better, the combat is better, the enemies are better, your weapons don't break after 3 hits and it's just more accessible/it's just more clear what to do and how all systems work. I also think the world (up until now that is) is designed better. Lots of stuff to do everywhere. My opinion by the way, before anyone feels insulted.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having a blast with the game so far, but unfortunately I had a pretty bad glitch happen the last time I played. I'm supposed to be relighting the fires in the towers of the forge of Hephaestus. I got there early and lit one before I had the quest, but then stopped because I figured I'd get a quest for it later, and I know how sensitive Ubisoft games can be to that sort of thing, and I didn't want to tempt fate.

It seems fate was already tempted though, because I went back after getting the quest, and now one of the towers simply disappears when I get close to it. From far away everything is fine, but as I get closer and I assume the tower has to switch models for the LOD system (?) it simply doesn't load in, so there's a vacant spot where the tower should be.

I haven't reloaded the game since it happened, so I'm still hoping it'll be fixed upon restart, but if it isn't, that's a progression blocking bug.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
So far I'm enjoying it but man does the low res UI really stick out like a sore thumb. I'm guessing it's 1080p? Especially when you complete objectives or collect Ambrosia its like yuck, render that shit in 4k. (on PS5)

I really love the look of the game and the art style and of course all the cool outfits and wings. This is the PERFECT podcast game.

But what's up with the haptics? When I'm searching for landmarks it doesn't rumble it just sort of clicks? Is this a bug?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
These sets I see in the "Store", are they obtainable in the game or only in a microtransaction? I won't lie the Typhon character pack is fucking sick. They're all really cool tbh.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I ended up buying this and am enjoying it. I've only played four and a half hours so far, so I've not seen much.

It's a bit of a mixed bag, but overall my impressions are positive. The world is gorgeous, the combat is fun and I like the puzzles. It's an enticing game and feels jam-packed with stuff to do.

The story is so so and the voice direction is a bit wonky to me. But I don't mind the humour and I like the story-telling so far - though the lip sync is a little suspect.

You can't help but compare it to BoTW, as the similarities are striking. Immortals stands on its own and has its own strengths. It's a different game.

However, I do think the game highlights what BoTW does so well. There's a beauty to Zelda's simplistic art style, a sense of place to the emptiness, an attention to detail in the design that, at least initially, trumps what Immortals offers in the same respects.

That said, this is a cool game. Will report back once I've played more. Excited to really dive in. Solid effort from Ubisoft.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I'm around 10 hours in and I gotta say I'm having way more fun with this than I had in 20 hours BotW (that's when I decided to drop it). It controls way better, it looks way better, the combat is better, the enemies are better, your weapons don't break after 3 hits and it's just more accessible/it's just more clear what to do and how all systems work. I also think the world (up until now that is) is designed better. Lots of stuff to do everywhere. My opinion by the way, before anyone feels insulted.

Agreed with all of this (at 60+ hours spent in the game). I don't think it's a BETTER game, per se, but I did have more fun playing Immortals for 55-60 hours than I did BOTW for 30 or so hours (I just stopped playing BOTW after a while). Of course, fun is subjective... but all of the things you listed above are the reasons I enjoyed Immortals more.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I mean, yeah, you got it. Zeus is mad that he didn't get a gift for fucking Achilles like Fenyx's brother did. There's tons of very thinly veiled jokes like that. When you rescue both Ares and Aphrodite and they are both in the hall you can overhear a conversation about how she wanted to fuck him as a chicken, for instance.

Edit: No, not Zeus and her brother, though. I see what you mean now. It's Achilles for both

I have to be a nerd about this. The timing doesn't make perfect sense. Zeus talks about mourning Achilles' death. That would mean that the game takes place relatively soon after the Trojan War. It takes Odysseus 10 years to get back home after the Trojan War. He probably hasn't gotten home yet. Strange for the game to be referencing him.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I have to be a nerd about this. The timing doesn't make perfect sense. Zeus talks about mourning Achilles' death. That would mean that the game takes place relatively soon after the Trojan War. It takes Odysseus 10 years to get back home after the Trojan War. He probably hasn't gotten home yet. Strange for the game to be referencing him.

Odysseus is dead, I'm pretty sure. He's one of the Wraiths you have to fight. I'm not sure if it really lines up with any kind of recognized timeline.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Odysseus is dead, I'm pretty sure. He's one of the Wraiths you have to fight. I'm not sure if it really lines up with any kind of recognized timeline.

If the brother did in fact have a relationship with Achilles, it wouldn't make sense for Odysseus to be dead, unless the brother was well into middle or old age.

Regardless, I love the game's rendition of Zeus.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
If the brother did in fact have a relationship with Achilles, it wouldn't make sense for Odysseus to be dead, unless the brother was well into middle or old age.

Yeah, like I said, I don't think they are really trying to follow an actual timeline. It's just a mishmash of various Greek myth stuff in its own little world.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I want to try locking this to 30 fps on PC.

What is the best way to lock 30 fps and get the smoothest frametime? I'm running on a VRR 6 series TV so I have gsync enabled on it...

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Was curious about this game and gave the demo on Stadia a whirl, which was also a first. Had fun and will probably pick it up, though may wait until I get a PS5 since the Switch and PS4 are 30 FPS and the Switch version is foggy like a N64 game.

Think the last Ubisoft game I bought besides Mario and Rabids was Assassins Creed 3. Their formula seems to have evolved a lot since then. Might have to give the recent Assassins Creed games a shot.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Was curious about this game and gave the demo on Stadia a whirl, which was also a first. Had fun and will probably pick it up, though may wait until I get a PS5 since the Switch and PS4 are 30 FPS and the Switch version is foggy like a N64 game.

Think the last Ubisoft game I bought besides Mario and Rabids was Assassins Creed 3. Their formula seems to have evolved a lot since then. Might have to give the recent Assassins Creed games a shot.
The Switch version is somewhat foggy only in the first area, and even that one is not so bad

GroundCombo

Oct 27, 2017
The frametimes are bouncing wildly in the open world. I have a 3700X and a 3080, the Ubi launcher FPS overlay shows 70-110 and g-sync should be enabled on my LG CX (I don't see any tearing), but there's stutter all over. In the challenge dungeons I'm getting a solid and perfectly smooth 120 fps. Really weird. The game itself looks like solid fun so far.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
This is an odd game for me, I go through phases of absolutely loving it but then all of a sudden being completely burnt out of it doing the same thing over and over.

I've put in around 20 hours and I'm just finishing up the 2nd area(I went Ares second) The last couple of nights I thought I'll play something different but just end up playing this all night but not really sure if I'm enjoying it anymore.

I've also unlocked a lot of skill that seem to allow me to bypass how the puzzles should be solved and I can just brute force most of them now.

SafeTScissors

May 1, 2020
New patch coming today - hopefully it will iron out the mild judder on the PS5 version.

This page has definitely closed. To find your favorite forums and threads, go to https://discussions.ubisoft.com.

This page has definitely closed. To find your favorite forums and threads, go to https://discussions.ubisoft.com.

Just downloaded the patch on my PS5 and played for a few minutes in Performance mode, I'm not noticing any judder anymore! Seems like the problem has been resolved, at least on my end.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
New patch coming today - hopefully it will iron out the mild judder on the PS5 version.

It lists haptic feedback as being improved so if anyone can report if that's the case that would be appreciated.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
This is an odd game for me, I go through phases of absolutely loving it but then all of a sudden being completely burnt out of it doing the same thing over and over.

I've put in around 20 hours and I'm just finishing up the 2nd area(I went Ares second) The last couple of nights I thought I'll play something different but just end up playing this all night but not really sure if I'm enjoying it anymore.

I've also unlocked a lot of skill that seem to allow me to bypass how the puzzles should be solved and I can just brute force most of them now.

The problem there is, I think, the puzzles are just too frequent and long. They aren't even bad per say, but Christ, some of them go on for fucking forever, especially when you do the big God vaults. They really needed to trim them either by having less or make them shorter

SafeTScissors

May 1, 2020
It lists haptic feedback as being improved so if anyone can report if that's the case that would be appreciated.
How is the haptic feedback with this patch?
The haptics are better and more consistent, but still not the best. There's actual rumble when you climb stuff, but you still get that weird "ka-chin" noise alongside it that made me think my controller was busted. And that crazy trigger vibration when you fire an arrow is still there too, no idea who thought that was a good idea. So yeah, better for sure but still not the greatest, at least in my opinion.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all!

If I buy the PS4 version, can I upgrade it to the PS5 for free?

And how is the game running on PS5? I've read something about tearing a few posts back.

Thank you!

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm around 9 hours in, and still generally having fun, but I can maybe see my feelings changing in another 10 hours time since the repetition seems to already be kicking in. It's generally a blast to play, quite chilled, looks lovely.

It still makes me laugh how utterly shameful the game is for stealing ideas from you know what (I spotted the enemies changing colour last night to represent "harder" versions of them like they do in BOTW.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
The haptics are better and more consistent, but still not the best. There's actual rumble when you climb stuff, but you still get that weird "ka-chin" noise alongside it that made me think my controller was busted. And that crazy trigger vibration when you fire an arrow is still there too, no idea who thought that was a good idea. So yeah, better for sure but still not the greatest, at least in my opinion.
It's almost as if they send the signal to the wrong component for the climbing haptics, as it is repeatedly engaging and disengaging the trigger feedback, but that's kinda pointless considering you're not using the triggers when climbing.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i hope the judder on ps5 is fixed with the patch, so i can finally buy it.
btw: judder only affected performance mode, right?

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Anyone think a more minimalist patch is in the future? I'd love to just find all the shit in this world without ever using their markers. Maybe just my own tagging points of interest? Would that be possible at this point, or do you sort of relay on in-game markers?

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
After close to 20hours im pretty burnt one the game. The puzzles dont evolve much and are almost as simplistic as at the beggining and there just so many of them. The world is so dense that nothing really stands out anymore. Combat also hasnt gotten much more involved. The main story is pretty bad with some funny moments. I think Im just gonna mainline the game to end quickly. Can you go straight to the volcano and go to endgame?

Yeah, I'm around the 20 hour mark now and burnout is setting in as all the puzzles blur together and the story drags on. I started skipping cutscenes right before the end of my last play session. Combat is just insta-stunning everything with ares wrath then whittling them down with sword strikes once they're knocked out. It definitely feels like you've seen everything the game has to offer around a dozen hours in unless you really fucking love shooting arrows through torches and weighing down switches.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 version is now smooth as silky, greased butter after the patch on performance mode.

Very happy!

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice

Pretty much agree with all of this. I may be a little shy of having 10 hours played so far, though. I see some people say that it gets a bit repetitive later on, but I'll just cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

Otherwise, this has been a pleasant surprise so far!

Oct 25, 2017
they did already. On US Amazon at least, PS4 version was $40 which is up gradable for free to PS5.

But Ubi will probably drop it more in few weeks like with Watch Dogs Legion
I live in Canada where health care grows on trees and video games cost 100 dollars after tax (although this one is a mere $90). If I were still in the US, I would have snagged it for 40, definitely.