• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I wish enemies didn't have infinite health bars on Hard. The game's simply not fun to play that way.

OT says this is Genre: Adventure??? This looks more like an Action RPG or Monster Hunter type game, or am I off on that thinking?
All games are now simultaneously Action, Action RPG and Adventure. Genres are useless nowadays :lol

It's got nothing to do with Monster Hunter, though.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Does this lean towards RPG (Weapons, equipments, loot, stats, level up, etc)? or just Adventure with very light RPG elements?
Somewhere in-between. There is loot, but not too much; there are upgrades, but not too many. You have to upgrade different elements of your character (health bar, stamina bar, weapon type strength) by finding different types of collectibles.

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
Somewhere in-between. There is loot, but not too much; there are upgrades, but not too many. You have to upgrade different elements of your character (health bar, stamina bar, weapon type strength) by finding different types of collectibles.

Thanks good to hear, I prefer more RPG heavy elements, but if price is right I may check it out.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I do hope they add a percent complete by zone or percent complete by zone/item. So in the opening area, it would be nice to know that I found all chests or all trials etc.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I wish enemies didn't have infinite health bars on Hard. The game's simply not fun to play that way.

All games are now simultaneously Action, Action RPG and Adventure. Genres are useless nowadays :lol

It's got nothing to do with Monster Hunter, though.

You might be fighting stuff too high for you right now. Most of the stuff I fought early on was pretty simple (even on Hard) but there were a few enemies that felt like they had massive HP. Special/Named ones. I went back a bit later and killed them in like 5-10 seconds. Might be related!

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
You might be fighting stuff too high for you right now. Most of the stuff I fought early on was pretty simple (even on Hard) but there were a few enemies that felt like they had massive HP. Special/Named ones. I went back a bit later and killed them in like 5-10 seconds. Might be related!
I'm mostly talking about enemies I'm finding as optional challenges in 'shrines' I'm supposed to be doing right now. It sucks that I need to finish the regular challenge in there, leave the area, and then come back later once I'm leveled up.

Especially considering how boring I'm finding the process of walking around the world.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
The game does not give a good first impression imo. The cartoon intro looks bad. The humour in the first in-game cutscene falls flat. The controls are janky and the UI does not look good. This hardly seems to be of the same quality as the best Zelda clones such as Darksiders.

This is where I'm falling. The writing, dialogue, voice acting, animation, and art style seem shockingly bad for a big budget game from a publisher like Ubisoft.

I feel like I'm already getting close to just skipping the cutscenes. The last game I skipped all cutscenes after a couple hours was Division 2, so Ubisoft knows something other publishers don't apparently.

The UI is just terrible and looks like a bad mobile game, as lots of people have already compared this game to so far. Even if it's customizable, why not offer the option to make HUD elements dynamic? How are big games in 2020 still missing this feature?

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Been alternating between the Switch & Stadia versions and having a blast. I really like that I can transition saved games between platforms without issue.

I have about 6-7 hours on each platform and the experience is very similar as far as performance. The only "issue" if you can call it that is that sometimes my button presses feel like they have a delay, almost like input lag, surprisingly only on the Switch version lol. Stadia I have zero such issues. Mostly with menus not combat, so that is a relief.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
I finally sat down and put more time into it and wow! This is genuinely amazing. Valhalla is fun too, I have around 30 hours in it, but for now Fenyx blows it out of the water in the areas that matter to me.

Ubi Quebec is always really good with the actual gameplay design. Both Syndicate and Odyssey were (in my opinion) smart improvements on their predecessors. Montreal makes more ambitious stuff but games from Quebec are simply more fun.

And Fenyx is a ton of fun. It truly feels like an AC game without any creative restraints. The collectibles and puzzles are infinitely more interesting that Valhalla's "get on the other side of the door" or "find the key". Traversal mechanisms, while lifted from BOTW, feel fluid and responsive and make exploring a pleasure. Combat is simple, but it is pretty snappy and allows for some creativity with the physics. Mount taming is such a small addition that is a perfect fit. Exploration is amazing with lots of verticality, and if you ditch the far sight it lets you find stuff organically. The birb is the best birb, Synin and Ikaros wish they were so useful and cool.

I am also enjoying the story a lot, which is surprising. It's very simple and quite goofy but the humor manages to make me smirk quite often (maybe I am too simpleminded, lol). I also like this twist on the "altered" olympian gods, it allows for some clever storytelling without regurgitating the same old mythical beats. Finally, it's nice to have focused plot with a clear critical path, after the disjointed storytelling of Valhalla.

The presentation is a cherry on the top. The game is simply beautiful and with a nice soundtrack to boot. Visual design is strong, despite the slightly derpy faces. I love all the little details like one of the armors that has a flappy tongue and ears. The star of the show are the animations though. Usually Ubi has these stiff animations but in Fenyx it feels like the animators were having a ton of fun. The death animation, the silly boar attack animations, the little jump the minotaur makes when he walks into a trap - all great!

I am gushing a bit, sorry about that but Fenyx is one of the biggest surprises for me this year. Yes, it's not perfect but it plays great and looks great. I would recommend it to anybody!

Last edited:

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Having a ton of fun with this game.

Just rescued one of the Gods and have just had a great time exploring without using the marking system at all.

Nice to know it will be there if I feel like hunting down specific things but I am really enjoying the sense of discovery - always something over the next hill that is worth completing.

The PS5 stuttering does not bother me as much as it did but I hope they do iron it out because I think the game is gorgeous and it deserves a flawless framerate.

Big, big, big thumbs up!

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, friendos. Is there controller support for the PC version of this game? I can't seem to get it to work with anything but kb/m.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This is the game I wish BOTW was.

No breakable weapons
A world worth exploring
Decent storyline
Good performance

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Never got to play this one, but I've been having similar "classic 3D adventure platformer" vibes playing this.

Its just a very videogame-ass videogame, like a lost 32-bit or OG Xbox game updated with a modern open world. It's somehow not just a colorful coat of paint on top of an AC skeleton, even though on paper it seems like exactly that?

100% agree. The game is very "video gamey" if that makes sense. It doesn't go out of its way to have a reason for the different elements of the gameplay. It's more like a giant playground to do stuff in. In that way it's very much like a game from the 32 bit era. It's a nice break from all the uber serious, auteur open world games we've had over the past couple years.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
100% agree. The game is very "video gamey" if that makes sense. It doesn't go out of its way to have a reason for the different elements of the gameplay. It's more like a giant playground to do stuff in. In that way it's very much like a game from the 32 bit era. It's a nice break from all the uber serious, auteur open world games we've had over the past couple years.

I'll second this. This is why I really enjoy the writing in this game. It's just silly and fun. The game doesn't take itself seriously at all, but there's actually some pretty heartfelt stuff in there too. I think they did a great job.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Has anyone else had the issue with going into a vault for the second time, to find a treasure, then completing the vault to have it "shut" but having the treasure (in this case it was an armor set for me) disappear?

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Two things. If a vault is glowing gold, does it mean thats one I've already beat?

Second thing, should I avoid fighting bears for now? I am right past the prologue and they destroy me.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
Two things. If a vault is glowing gold, does it mean thats one I've already beat?

Second thing, should I avoid fighting bears for now? I am right past the prologue and they destroy me.

If a vault is glowing gold it means you missed the chest in it. Every vault has a chest. You know you've 100% the vault as it will be grayed out and no longer glowing

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX

Don't forget that you can always hit the map button to see how many treasures are in the dungeon you are in. You can also use your Scan to find the secret one... if you don't feel like looking for the extra beam.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is going on with the adaptive triggers in the ps5 version? I can feel them engage on and off for doing random ass things

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
So in the opening island area, the large Harp thing has 4 glowing things. I found 3 of the smaller harps and played back and got the rewards...but there is a 4th glowing thing but cant find the last harp. From my understanding each zone/area has one large harp and a certain amount of small ones dictated by the glowing things. Been scouring all over and can't find it...even using the search/seek thing.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Coming off of Valhalla its amazing how much more satisfying this is to play. Valhalla felt like I was being bombarded with memes disguised as side quests and markers to tick off. Here im actually getting useful stuff just for checking the occasional suspect looking spot, and while the writing is cheesy, it has got a few laughs which I'm taking as an upgrade over hearing decades old memes repeated around the game world.

I feel like I've got more progress on the story in the first 2 hours of this game as well than I did in the first 80 of Valhalla. Ubisoft really need to make more stuff like this as they're actually not bad at it, whereas I cant say the same of their endless floundering with their big IP's
Wtf is going on with the adaptive triggers in the ps5 version? I can feel them engage on and off for doing random ass things
Ubisoft have been real weird about using triggers as opposed to rumble, almost like they genuinely aren't aware they are two separate features. AC Valhalla had the same issue with the puzzles you have to line up and entering water etc for a while but they patched it sometime last week. Hopefully they do the same here and actually use the rumble.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
So in the opening island area, the large Harp thing has 4 glowing things. I found 3 of the smaller harps and played back and got the rewards...but there is a 4th glowing thing but cant find the last harp. From my understanding each zone/area has one large harp and a certain amount of small ones dictated by the glowing things. Been scouring all over and can't find it...even using the search/seek thing.

Quest... later

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Dupe post. Ignore.

Protip: Skip upgrade cutscenes with B/Circle.

Also, you can interact with the loading screens a bit (the static ones).

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dupe post. Ignore.

Protip: Skip upgrade cutscenes with B/Circle.

Also, you can interact with the loading screens a bit (the static ones).

On the ones where you warp to/from the shrines there's collectibles, but the load speed is so fast that half the time it's done loading as the first one spawns 😂

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Just dropping in to say that I'm having a lot of fun with this game. The combat is fine, the puzzles are pretty good, plenty of exploration options. Even the dialogues are growing on me; very endearing characters. And some of those idle animations (esp. with Phosphor around) are so ^_^

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
Coming off of Valhalla its amazing how much more satisfying this is to play. Valhalla felt like I was being bombarded with memes disguised as side quests and markers to tick off. Here im actually getting useful stuff just for checking the occasional suspect looking spot, and while the writing is cheesy, it has got a few laughs which I'm taking as an upgrade over hearing decades old memes repeated around the game world.

I feel like I've got more progress on the story in the first 2 hours of this game as well than I did in the first 80 of Valhalla. Ubisoft really need to make more stuff like this as they're actually not bad at it, whereas I cant say the same of their endless floundering with their big IP's

Hmm. I've got 3 hours in this and 40 in Valhalla, and I feel the opposite. I come away thinking I'd just rather keep playing AC instead.

The writing/dialogue/characters here are not keeping me engaged at all, and I feel there is sort of a Borderlands humor vibe that just puts me off. The climbing is kind of cumbersome in ways that AC parkour isn't. Gameplay is okay but I need more.

As a whole package AC has held my interest longer and I'm interested in Eivor and what happens even if it's bloated and the story is overly stretched. Maybe it helps that I have been avoiding a lot of side stuff?

I'm surprised, as I've typically been into Ubisoft open world games, but this one isn't for me. Oh well :/

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I've got 3 hours in this and 40 in Valhalla, and I feel the opposite. I come away thinking I'd just rather keep playing AC instead.

The writing/dialogue/characters here are not keeping me engaged at all, and I feel there is sort of a Borderlands humor vibe that just puts me off. The climbing is kind of cumbersome in ways that AC parkour isn't. Gameplay is okay but I need more.

As a whole package AC has held my interest longer and I'm interested in Eivor and what happens even if it's bloated and the story is overly stretched. Maybe it helps that I have been avoiding a lot of side stuff?

I'm surprised, as I've typically been into Ubisoft open world games, but this one isn't for me. Oh well :/
Yeah I can get it. I think Valhalla and this are gonna be oddly polarising when compared to each other. For me I was interested in Eivor and Sigurd's stories, as well as the modern timeline but I didn't really care for the kingdom storylines that make up most of the game.

Though I definitely think skipping most side content is a good idea with Valhalla. The vast majority of it is meaningless rewards, however I would suggest doing all of the anomalies and finishing the quests tied to the potions at camp as both of those will end in important scenes. Virtually everything else is just for another skill point though.

On the topic of side content, while the writing in immortals is silly, the game leans into it. In AC the story is serious and I was already growing a bit tired of waiting for it to pick up when I started getting hit with memes for side quests and it just pulled me out of the story. From there I started noticing NPC's using modern phrases that make no sense in their time and my dislike for it just spiralled as I grew more tired of the loop.

Tbh though I think both are games that have their merits and I'd say both are good despite not liking Valhalla personally. I still managed to get through a 90 hour file on it.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
It will be interesting to try their NG+. After getting leveling up Wrath of Ares, wearing a full stun setup (max stun when full HP), and using a stun potion, every single solo-boss never gets to move and dies in 15 seconds... on "hard". =O

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
This game is good but the frame pacing in performance mode on the PS5 is really annoying. I'm really enjoying the game itself but the constant stuttering when the camera moves is so distracting.

I wish I'd gone with the pc version.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I spent the better part of the day just fucking around in the game, and I don't feel like I wasted any time.

Its a fun game. It reminds me of the third Spyro game. Just a lot to do, very colorful, and its funny. It feels comfortable in a really good way.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
16 hours in and I feel like this is GOTY for me. Likely will be challenged by Cyberpunk, but I can't get over how fun this is.

Huge surprise

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Male or female Fenyx? Which one has the better VA? I'm still in the beginning area.

Male with band in hair for the best Kid Icarus meets Zelda experience.

Also for anyone wondering if you don't like your initial character you can change looks after the tutorial, including gender.

Immortals-Fenyx-Rising-male-Fenyx.png

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
16 hours in and I feel like this is GOTY for me. Likely will be challenged by Cyberpunk, but I can't get over how fun this is.

Huge surprise
Yup this game is scratching that BOTW ich for me. I have 17 hours into the game already and only in the first big area. I want every chest and every piece of gear. My only complaint would be the lack of enemy variety.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
So needing a break from demons souls kicking my ass and thinking I want something lighter until Cyberpunk, I thought I would try this out.
Played only around an hour and first impressions are it's ok. I don't like the dialogue, don't like the art style on the characters, they remind me of a cheap CG kids movie, but gameplay seemed ok. Reading on era I was expecting a sleeper hit, but so far a little underwhelmed. The first area where you climb a top of the view point and have to manually scan for points of interest with R2....why? Why make me climb atop only to fill it out myself? It seriously is just more bloating on top of the usual Ubisoft bloat. It's like "we still gonna give you a million markers, but find them yourself". I honestly don't understand it. Maybe as the game goes on it gets easier or better but first impressions where not good.

combat was fun though. Guess I will play more and if it doesn't hit continue my grind in Demons Souls

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else had the issue with going into a vault for the second time, to find a treasure, then completing the vault to have it "shut" but having the treasure (in this case it was an armor set for me) disappear?

You most likely unlocked a new visual for an armor you already had. I thought the same thing at first but there's different color variants for armor pieces.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Yup this game is scratching that BOTW ich for me. I have 17 hours into the game already and only in the first big area. I want every chest and every piece of gear. My only complaint would be the lack of enemy variety.

you, or anyone, happen to do that side quest for the dead ghost solider on one of the small tall islands off the starting zone? Where you have to give him a proper burial.

I did it and didn't get any rewards? What gives!
I'm super underleveled and the game keeps telling me to leave and come back so completing it wasmt easy haha

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
you, or anyone, happen to do that side quest for the dead ghost solider on one of the small tall islands off the starting zone? Where you have to give him a proper burial.

I did it and didn't get any rewards? What gives!
I'm super underleveled and the game keeps telling me to leave and come back so completing it wasmt easy haha

I just finished that quest and got nothing for a reward.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I see people complain about FPS/stuttering on PS5 performance mode and I just... Don't have it. I'm usually very sensitive to stutters and uneven FPS.

Anyway, 7h in and loving it. The last hour I stopped scanning for stuff which made exploring much more fun, before that it felt more like I ran from point to point instead of exploring like in BOTW or Genshin Impact.

Oct 28, 2017
These microstutters are really bugging me, I've been trying to see if there is anything I can do to fix them.

Can you do me a favor- teleport to the hall of the gods, then stand on the circular blue tiles near the weights. Look at the weights and walk left and right. Do you consistently see one of these microstutters as you do this?

I'm starting to think that these microstutters happen as you cross over streaming boundaries. When it happens I can usually walk back and forth over the area and it always causes a stutter when I step over the same spot.

They also seem to never happen in shrine dungeons
Hmm, I just tried this and it seems fine. However, after playing more, it seems to me like it is the camera motion that isn't perfectly smooth.rotating it, it seems to stutter.

momerath

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought Athena Dash and realized that it probably would have helped (not sure if you had it at the time). I might go back and try it just to see if that's what you are supposed to do. However, I still like my solution better. LOL

EDIT: I'm almost certain that's what it is supposed to be now that I've seen other scenarios.

Yeah, I was originally wondering if maybe there was an ability that would have made it more reasonable.

I was ultimately able to pull it off using your original method, but I agree it certainly feels like a BOTW style stretch of the game's mechanics/physics. But hey, results are results! Haha.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the fact you can remap every single button in this game.

I changed it to be identical to Genshin Impact controls as I'm playing both games and switching between the two just isn't working out with different buttons for the same actions. Now it's way more fun.

this game also isn't mapped very well with its controls anyway I thought.

Square to dodge or run seemed weird? Triangle to pick up things or interact?

Also two buttons to block L1 + R1? Why not just have one button to do that like in any other game? I've mapped Parry 2 to L1 as well and the game seems to accept that and now I just use a single button L1 to parry.

enjoying the game a lot. Not fan of the art style but the game is very fun. Love it so far. Still on first island.

also the hdr seems weird on ps5 version or is it just me? Seems kinda like there's a haze on the game or it's a bit washed out? Depending on the time of day in the game. Other times it looks fine. like when you go get your wings in that dungeon it looked fine.

I've configured it correctly in the in game settings by increasing the nits. Using a CX maybe it's just like this. I played Valhalla briefly and it seemed the hdr was odd on that too sometimes