• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I stopped playing yesterday expecting the time to be about 10:00 pm. I was WAY off. It was 12:30 and I had to be up in 5 hours. Fun game. Runs really well on my 1080ti.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently there are dungeons in this? How are they? Are they like classic Zelda dungeons or something simpler like shrines?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I think I noticed what you are talking about. I'm on an 8700k with a 3080, 4k, maxed out and getting around 70-90 fps depending on what's happening (at least so far in The first two hours)

They don't seem terrible but a blemish on otherwise decent performance. I tried setting the input to Xbox controller only, and are using the Microsoft adaptor, as I heard that caused problems on Valhalla,but doesn't seem to make a difference here.

Ok good to know I'm not the only one. It seems like an engine issue... they are very minor but annoying. I hope Ubi can fix them.

Running on a 3070 here at 1440p

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
How long is this game? Is it typical Ubisoft way-too-padded-out level of length like Assassin's creed or is it tighter?

I think it depends on how you play it. Personally I spent 9 hours after the tutorial just exploring the southern coast of the first zone and solving all the BOTW-like incedental stuff before even starting the first quest.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying it but it really makes me appreciate how well Nintendo nailed the basic movements in BotW

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
How long is this game? Is it typical Ubisoft way-too-padded-out level of length like Assassin's creed or is it tighter?
Definitely tighter, but it's still a Ubisoft game so it's really up to you to determine how much time you're exploring and doing side stuff vs just doing the main quest

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's been cited as 20-30 hours but I suppose that very much depends on the player.
Hows the content in the open world? What put me off BotW was the empty openess to it.
I don't have the game yet but it seems the opposite. Some have even said it's a bit too jam-packed with stuff.

Jambi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Each area doesn't end in a larger size dungeon? Im only a few hours in and that was the impression I was getting. Big bummer if thats not the case.
No this is how it works. The dungeons get larger and harder as you go on. The later ones are way more involved than most of the zelda dungeons tbh. The first area dungeons are pretty straight forward until some of the later ones.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
11 hours in and just finished my first big dungeon. Love this game and its world so far.
I even like those little scenes when upgrading stamina for example. Maybe just because my Fenyx is awesome though.

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
Far Sight has already ruined any sense of exploration the game could have had. I know people will say not to use it but the damage is already done. It would have been nice if it wasn't there to begin with.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Switch users:

How does it run?

Wondering this question as well. From what I've heard it's a far cry from the PS5/Series X/S version, but as I don't have either of those platforms, I'm curious to see how it looks compared to base PS4/Xbox One. As long as it's at least somewhat comparable I'd probably pick it up on Switch due to the advantage of portable play.

Though it still boggles my mind how Ubisoft didn't work with Nintendo to include Kid Icarus content, after having put StarFox into Starlink. That would have made the Switch version an instant buy.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering this question as well. From what I've heard it's a far cry from the PS5/Series X/S version, but as I don't have either of those platforms, I'm curious to see how it looks compared to base PS4/Xbox One. As long as it's at least somewhat comparable I'd probably pick it up on Switch due to the advantage of portable play.

Though it still boggles my mind how Ubisoft didn't work with Nintendo to include Kid Icarus content, after having put StarFox into Starlink. That would have made the Switch version an instant buy.
Doubt cross-save would work properly without parity.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Far Sight has already ruined any sense of exploration the game could have had. I know people will say not to use it but the damage is already done. It would have been nice if it wasn't there to begin with.
I thought I saw AC like viewpoints that populate your map in some footage. Is that what you're referring to?

I'm still mulling over grabbing the Switch version while it's 49 and change on Amazon. I just wish there were some thoughtful analysis' out there of the performance other than randos on YouTube. I wonder if DF will post anything in the coming weeks.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
How is the combat overall? I know the game seems more themed towards exploration which is cool. I've just heard the combat is pretty simple and the fights aren't great. Of course watching gamplay doesn't always show me what people think.
I don't need Dark souls or Devil may cry but i'd like a challenge some of the time.

The combat is very good for this type of game. Way better than BOTW combat. More technical than Genshin (which is more about switching for the most part). Parries, perfect-dodges. Nero-hand, anim canceling, stun system. I'm very impressed. It's certainly not DMC, but it's very fun and it fits into this game nicely.

I think it depends on how you play it. Personally I spent 9 hours after the tutorial just exploring the southern coast of the first zone and solving all the BOTW-like incedental stuff before even starting the first quest.

I think I was at 12-13 before the first real "boss" of the story. I've done almost all of the tutorial area and perhaps 65% of the first area of the island. There is a lot to see and do.

I treat farsight as "how to re-find the stuff I've already found", meaning, I turn compass off (because I don't like all the items I've found showing up on the bar - it's unnecessary imo), I turn off quest log (which is available any time from the map), and I turn off all puzzle help of any kind. I find myself wandering around the map looking for new stuff all the time. I absolutely get that feeling of exploration, but I can understand how being able to see through walls to mark stuff is a bit off-putting. I would have given it a range (that can be upgraded). However, I much prefer it to "get on top of statue, reveal 150 point-of-interest markers instantly).

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I think what's got me hesitant to grab the game is the DLC announcement a week or two back. Not only did they basically spoil the ending, but they already put out a "Gold Edition" that includes the pass.

Looking back at Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, the DLC itself rarely went on sale. The Gold Edition always does though. It's just a waiting game, and it's not like I will be remiss if I just wait and grab it next year at a discount.

It sucks because the trailer had swagger and I love everything I've heard about the game. The DLC thing took all the wind out of my hype sails.

hollams

Nov 7, 2017
I like the fact when opening chests there are different animations. It's a little thing but makes a meaningful difference.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Switch users:

How does it run?

It's absolutely magical on my Switch Lite. Seems to have native resolution and it has very minimal popups. Framerate drops also super rare. But what magical here is playing huge open world game on the go. After BotW and Witcher 3, it still feels like a miraculous thing.

Snert

Banned
Dec 1, 2020
I picked this up on sale at Amazon for $10 off. Had a fear that I would have Ubisoft fatigue given that I just finished Watchdogs Legion and ACV, but I was wrong.

Really loving this game so far. Scratches that BOTW itch and plays really well on Switch. Only about 3-4 hours in so far but really enjoying it.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
It's absolutely magical on my Switch Lite. Seems to have native resolution and it has very minimal popups. Framerate drops also super rare. But what magical here is playing huge open world game on the go. After BotW and Witcher 3, it still feels like a miraculous thing.
Nintendo World Reports' review gave it a 6 out of 10 and outright said they were considering starting over on the PS5/XB version because of the cutbacks and issues. That's pretty harsh coming from a Nintendo-centric outlet.

I do 90% of my gaming on the Switch these days which is why it's my preferred platform. I have the other consoles though, so it's hard for me to decide one way or the other.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo World Reports' review gave it a 6 out of 10 and outright said they were considering starting over on the PS5/XB version because of the cutbacks and issues. That's pretty harsh coming from a Nintendo-centric outlet.

I do 90% of my gaming on the Switch these days which is why it's my preferred platform. I have the other consoles though, so it's hard for me to decide one way or the other.

If the review doesn't assume that Switch is the only platform the reader has, that's a bad review. Saying "Get it on another console" is pretty insulting, kinda implies that Switch is an irrelevant platform aside from first party titles.

I'd definitely recommend Switch version. Compared to other current gen ports, Immortals run VERY well. As I said, framerate drops and popups are the least among the similar games; The Witcher 3, The Outer Worlds, Wolfenstein etc. In Immortals, you can look at the distant places and see almost all of the details intact, something you cannot do in other open world games on Switch, not even last gen stuff like Saints Row and Assassin's Creed.

I usually ignore third party reviews from Nintendo outlets like NintendoLife and NWR, some of their reviewers are biased towards first party games and expect every other game to run like those, games specifically crafted with the system's limitations.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago

The Switch version received a significant patch an hour before embargo went up. Unfortunately it looks like most reviews didn't account for that.

SwitchUp did however

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
If the review doesn't assume that Switch is the only platform the reader has, that's a bad review. Saying "Get it on another console" is pretty insulting, kinda implies that Switch is an irrelevant platform aside from first party titles.

I'd definitely recommend Switch version. Compared to other current gen ports, Immortals run VERY well. As I said, framerate drops and popups are the least among the similar games; The Witcher 3, The Outer Worlds, Wolfenstein etc. In Immortals, you can look at the distant places and see almost all of the details intact, something you cannot do in other open world games on Switch, not even last gen stuff like Saints Row and Assassin's Creed.

I usually ignore third party reviews from Nintendo outlets like NintendoLife and NWR, some of their reviewers are biased towards first party games and expect every other game to run like those, games specifically crafted with the system's limitations.
Yeah. I mean, I don't think that a Nintendo focused outlet should give a rough port a pass because it's on their flagship platform, but yeah, I agree about recommending another platform was possibly in poor taste. Especially when folks like you and some others in this thread have said it runs well enough to be worth checking out.

I've played a few other games with scaled back Switch iterations - MK11, DOOM 2016 and Rime - and had a good time with all of them, despite knowing they had cutbacks. Maybe that answers my own indifference about whether to settle on a scaled-down version of Fenyx.

The Switch version received a significant patch an hour before embargo went up. Unfortunately it looks like most reviews didn't account for that.

SwitchUp did however

I did find and watch that video actually. It was cool of them to revisit their review and take into account a day one patch. I'm surprised that others haven't, especially when it sounds like it made a marked difference.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

im playing it on Switch, and I think it's pretty friggin impressive what they pulled off. Ive been in battles with multiple enemies with trees being broke and shot and it's help up perfectly fine for me. Of course looking at the PS5 or Series X Version Will illicit these types of responses in cutbacks but what the fuck do you expect.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
So does the Switch version run at 720p in handheld mode? Thinking about double dipping. Has anyone tried the cross-progression system?

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad Phosphor picked up on the fact that I didn't want to fight this thing.

I thought I saw AC like viewpoints that populate your map in some footage. Is that what you're referring to?

It's an ability similar to controlling the bird in assassin's creed games which can wallhack locations of hidden chests, locations and so on. I suggest not using it if want a more immersive exploration experience.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Finished the first larger dungeon. I'm about 16 hours in and still have stuff to do in the first main area. Super enjoyable. I actually really like the writing and the banter. I think if you treat it like a Saturday morning cartoon and understand that the game is aware of itself, it all clicks better. Could just be me.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I'm only an hour into this and already like it more than Valhalla. This would be my perfect kind of game if not for the extremely distant camera. Saw a few posts in this thread about it already, but really would like to see this patched.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Game has been great on my Switch, don't know what the hell those reviews on about

Nintendo Life even complained about the game being too similar to BotW and listed it as a negative point. What the hell? That's good thing, BotW is literally one of the best games ever made. I wish more games copied it.

Sometimes their bias is really annoying.

So does the Switch version run at 720p in handheld mode? Thinking about double dipping. Has anyone tried the cross-progression system?

Yeah it does. Haven't encountered any resolution drop. The game is truly magical.