• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
'' Immortals Fenyx Rising in NextGen offers us 2 game modes. In quality mode, PS5 and Series X run at 2160p resolution at 30fps and Series S at 1440p. The drawing distance in this mode is somewhat greater and it also increases the range of lighting points as well as some particles. In performance mode, the framerate increases to 60fps. Resolution on PS5 and Series X in this mode is dynamic, between 2160p and 1440p. In some areas, the resolution of PS5 is somewhat higher (1620p) than Series X (1440p). On S Series, the resolution is locked to 1080p. The draw distance is slightly higher in Series X, also, there seems to be some issues with the shadows on PS5 in quality mode. I definitely recommend using performance mode on any of the three platforms.''

''Shadows and draw distance are worse on PS4 but sometimes it's renders at a higher resolution. So you decide.''

Is there a video detailing this stuff? Was considering going with the series X version over the ps5.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Liking this so far!

Protip: Turn OFF compass (sense of exploration enhanced!).

I'm actually finding that keeping the compass on is not as bad as other Ubi games. I don't think it shows anything on it that you haven't marked using the push right stick in "vision" mode. So it only shows things you've "discovered" so far.

I keep the compass on just so I can see the markers I've dropped on the map, and I don't use the vision mode to mark anything.

Exploration in this is even better than the improved exploration in Valhalla.

Sep 24, 2020
I'm assuming this is basically an Assassin's Creed game with different graphics style, am I right? If so I'll give it a miss as I'm totally burnt out on Valhalla.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I'm actually finding that keeping the compass on is not as bad as other Ubi games. I don't think it shows anything on it that you haven't marked using the push right stick in "vision" mode. So it only shows things you've "discovered" so far.

I keep the compass on just so I can see the markers I've dropped on the map, and I don't use the vision mode to mark anything.

Exploration in this is even better than the improved exploration in Valhalla.

Oh for sure. I don't think it ruins anything. I just don't like being a slave to the compass. The first thing I did was mark everything in my view (cool feature!) then realized I was looking at the compass more than this great world they created.

To each their own. So far, really cool!

EDIT: I turned off compass and quest objective and it immediately felt better to me. You can always see the quest objective on the map anyway. Sweet!

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Along with the Quest Objective and the Compass I turned off the Potions as you pretty quickly memorize which is in which slot. Now exploring the HUD is completely clean and only in combat do certain screen elements show up.

I'm assuming this is basically an Assassin's Creed game with different graphics style, am I right? If so I'll give it a miss as I'm totally burnt out on Valhalla.

This is exactly Assassin's Creed: Saturday Morning Cartoon. . . they have even taken the parry and dodge style from the game.

It's also fantastic so far (including the humor).

How did you figure this out?

Honestly I didn't think it would work; just figured if people who bought the game were able to play the game and Ubisoft+ people couldn't and the only difference between the two was the executables, that had to be how DENUVO was differentiating between who could play.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I didn't think it would work; just figured if people who bought the game were able to play the game and Ubisoft+ people couldn't and the only difference between the two was the executables, that had to be how DENUVO was differentiating between who could play.

It is really bizarre that this top-tier uncrackable DRM just says "what was the name of the EXE? Oh, it doesn't have "_plus" on the end? Must be a legitimate non-Ubi+ digital executable! Go ahead and let it run!"

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It turns out if you select the "lite" UI, it disables the pop ups that tell you what you looted. You need to manually turn that function back on.

Why would anyone want to play with a UI that didn't tell them if they picked up new equipment? Weird.

deoee

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I'd LOVE to try this game but with Cyberpunk coming and getting Sackboy for my gf I can't really afford another 70€ game that could be hit or miss

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Along with the Quest Objective and the Compass I turned off the Potions as you pretty quickly memorize which is in which slot. Now exploring the HUD is completely clean and only in combat do certain screen elements show up.

Feels pretty great with most of the intrusive UI off (quest marker, panel, compass, etc). I'm probably going to turn the rest of the stuff off as I get my muscle memory down for potions and skills.

This is exactly Assassin's Creed: Saturday Morning Cartoon. . . they have even taken the parry and dodge style from the game.

It's also fantastic so far (including the humor).

Assassin's Fortnight of the Wild!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This game isn't really "cartoon Assassin's Creed"

It is way more of a Breath of the Wild clone. And a damn good one at that.

The whole world is saturated with fun little puzzles that you stumble across, and there are more complex underground shrines just like BOTW.

There is almost no emphasis on stealth or infiltration.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I preordered this in Ubi`s Store but my copy won`t be shipped until....well, support couldn`t tell. Great.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Would certainly buy this game if not for cyberpunk, gonna wait about a month till it drops in price a bit.

Wildstrike

Jan 18, 2018
www.youtube.com

Immortals: Fenyx Rising | PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X | Graphics & FPS Comparison

Music by Zeravi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERzl8fMzNRs

Something odd going on in the PS5 Quality Mode at 13m 35s.. it seems to sneak above the 30fps cap (jumping between 30-35 fps) for a few seconds here and there, which is going to cause some minor juddering..
All versions seem nicely stable otherwise.. and you're likely going to want to play in performance mode anyway..

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finished the staring area and now have to stop because of work. But I am really, really enjoying it so far.
Combat is fast and the controls are tight, it's actually quite charming and funny and it looks really amazing on the PS5.

can't wait to play more in the evening!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Something odd going on in the PS5 Quality Mode at 13m 35s.. it seems to sneak above the 30fps cap (jumping between 30-35 fps) for a few seconds here and there, which is going to cause some minor juddering..
All versions seem nicely stable otherwise.. and you're likely going to want to play in performance mode anyway..
Maybe thats the thing people were reporting on yesterday? With the ps5 having some stutter?

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
Can this game be played on that trial uplay thing? I'm not home so I don't know and never used it.
Think I'm gonna try it and probably buy it on Series X or Ps5 after cyberpunk is done.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Not exactly, it has a lot in common with BOTW actually. There are a lot of puzzles and upgrades gained from those puzzles. Combat feels a bit like AC but there's a lot of air juggling in this game which doesn't exist in AC.

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
Combat seems like it's going to be pretty fun.
I don't really feel any ps5 controller support at all though which is unfortunate. I only notice it during farsight when you look around the world and reveal stuff.
I really dislike the fact that you continue to lose stamina and die while floating still in water.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Did anybody receive their preorder code for PS5? Also, where can I find my dlc stuff from the season pass?

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
This feels like 2020's Days Gone. Only decent reviews from critics, leading to some folks skipping it, but most who play will love it.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Quality mode on PS5 is completely busted. Shadows look worse than on Performance mode. Lol Ubisoft never change.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I streamed it for about 2 and a half hours tonight on PS5, and outside of a weird audio glitch where the narration from Zeus and Prometheus was silent (while the audio from Fenyx and the other characters were fine; quitting to main menu and reloading fixed it, though), it was a fun time, and I'm really enjoying it.

I like the light hearted tone of the game, and it wears its Breath of the Wild inspirations on its sleeve, which isn't a bad thing, to be honest. The combat is definitely more enjoyable than BotW, and the environments look great. The character models and style is growing on me, and it's like this Disney-esque version of Assassin's Creed and God of War. The humor has been hit or miss, like most humorous things; some jokes land, some don't, but I definitely chuckled and laughed genuinely more than a few times.

I stopped playing after I got the glide ability, but I'm looking forward to playing more of it tomorrow after work. I think it's a solid game that is having a lot of fun with itself, and I can appreciate that. Especially during a year where the world is on fire, and some of the top tier games were incredibly emotionally and thematically taxing. It's been nice to play a game like Astro, Sackboy, Bugsnax, and now Immortals, that is just some good, family friendly fun that doesn't take itself so seriously, as is really enjoyable to play.

This was a game I was only mildly interested in, but the fun combat, vibrant world, and silly humor is exactly what I need at the moment. I haven't even gotten to the point where I'm able to upgrade my abilities yet, and I'm having a good time. I also really like the puzzle trials I've experienced so far.

It's definitely this amusing Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and Breath of the Wild love child that I'm completely okay with.

EDIT: I'm also playing in performance mode on PS5. It looked and felt much better in that mode compared to Quality mode to me.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Imo, the BOTW comparisons, while very apt, are also what you see in any other new subgenre early in its infancy. Genshin Impact and this will get lots of criticism for being similar to BOTW, but this is how subgenres are formed. Soon, more games will ape the gameplay mechanics, do their own spin, and you'll soon you'll have a whole new subgenre healthy and full of fun titles to play.

It happened with Doom (before the FPS genre was solidified, any first person shooter was called a Doom Clone), it happened with MMOs, it happened with MOBAs, and it will happen again and again until the end of time...and it's a good thing!

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
So the Vaults of Tartarus are basically BOTW equivalent to Shrines...I like it.

Also that first power you unlock that lets you pick up heavy rocks and float them. The animation is similar to Magnesis but again I don't mind.

I do like the small starting area is basically being the equivalent to BOTW's Great Plateau. I definitely enjoyed what I played so far. Glad I picked it up.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I like this game a lot so far. It's both scratching my BOTW itch and kinda filling out its own sense of identity and gameplay satisfaction. The humor isn't a complete win but it is serving me better than I expected.

Deleted member 84949

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2020
Can definitely also confirm the stutter on PS5 at least in perf mode. Feels really unpolished because of it. Otherwise the game seems reeeeally promising after an hour. Actually installed on PC through U+ and since theres cross save, im going to jump back and forth.

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fully installed and patched on PS5. Stuttering is super bad in performance mode :(

The stutter is constant, even on the character creation screen.

Last edited:

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, where the F are the DLC items? I have both the preorder mission and the season pass codes redeemed, but I cannot for the life of me find the items anywhere? ITs getting frustrating because no instructions are given.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, where the F are the DLC items? I have both the preorder mission and the season pass codes redeemed, but I cannot for the life of me find the items anywhere? ITs getting frustrating because no instructions are given.
How did you redeem the mission ? How do you check if you have it is it a file to download ?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
How did you redeem the mission ? How do you check if you have it is it a file to download ?
I received an email from the retailer with a code to be redeemed at immortalsfenyxrising.com/redeem then selected my platform of choice (Ps5) and I just received an email with the PSN code to be redeemed on the PS5. Dowloaded the thing and it doesn't appear anywhere

It looks like its a widespread issue, being reported on the Ubisoft support forums: https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2299785-The-gold-editon-s-bonuses

so yeah, we just gotta wait I guess.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So apparently in Japan, on PC, the game is coming out tomorrow, on the 4th, even though the banners all over Ubi Connect say "Play Now", and every piece of news says that it goes live globally on the 3rd.

Nice job Ubi.

EDIT: It even says the 3rd in Ubi Connect's store page. Christ.

EDIT: Oh fuck, it's because I bought it on Epic. Well, there you go. Shame. I would've bought it on Ubi Connect if they allowed me to.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing on a One X on a TCL series 4 (my LG BX gets here Monday), but this is a damn good looking game even right now.

Ghil

Oct 27, 2017
I started the game. I knew it had similarities with BotW, but that's a lot more "inspired by" than I thought it would. Down to the shrines with the same designs.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Performance. I been going back and forth and I am not noticing a big difference in the visuals. I am sure there are some stuff I am missing since you have to restart the game to apply the changes. But it looks pretty great in performance mode and it is very smooth. I did play about 30 min at Quality and it is not bad...but once you play in performance it is hard to go back to the 30fps mode.

Sounds good, thanks. I'll almost certainly stick with performance on series x.

Really happy to see that pretty much everyone here is enjoying this. I was hoping to have it today, but the USPS is taking dey own sweet time. i guess I'll play R6 after work. I already sold Valhalla after bailing early and hard. Zero regrets on that one.