• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having a fun time exploring.

Exploring gets you:

More gear
Materials and coins to upgrade gear
Items to upgrade your health and stamina
You might even come across random boss fights

So in my opinion, it's rewarding to do so.

I'm not too familiar with BOTW but there are shrines you would find through the map, yes? I would say this game has the equivalent called Vaults. Puzzle based dungeons that can get you gear or cosmetic items, and there are quite a few of them, ranging in difficulty.

One "negative" I would say is the fact you don't level up in the traditional sense. No XP being earned, but that's a personal issue for me and not something that makes the game any less fun. You get stronger by upgrading gear and if you wanna upgrade EVERY piece of gear, it's going to be a grind. The number of materials you need increases each level. Maybe you earn more materials in that last difficulty you unlock when you beat the game. Who knows.

Stamina is very important. That's why I would advise on exploring the land for the items that help increase it. You'll be able to climb higher, swim farther and fly longer. You pick up mushrooms that, when holding Right on the d-pad, refills your Stamina. So if you're climbing, for example, you can keep refilling and climb at the same time. Don't worry, these mushrooms are scattered everywhere so you'll have plenty on hand.
Thanks for the detailed response. I played the Stadia Demo and really enjoyed it, but did not explore that much. Are there hidden dungeons/caves or stuff like that?

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the detailed response. I played the Stadia Demo and really enjoyed it, but did not explore that much. Are there hidden dungeons/caves or stuff like that?

The vaults I talked about are the hidden dungeons, but they're not really hidden so to speak. There are MANY of them though.

There are also MANY puzzles. The vaults have the unique, longer puzzles. While the world map has the smaller puzzles. The smaller puzzles are probably the hidden stuff you're talking about.

Just unlocked a new area. The map might make you think the world isn't that big, but if you're someone who likes to explore, there's alot of ground to cover.

In terms of fast travel, you have your major points you can travel to but every vault that you complete turns into a fast travel spot as well. So you can definitely get around easy.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
The vaults I talked about are the hidden dungeons, but they're not really hidden so to speak. There are MANY of them though.

There are also MANY puzzles. The vaults have the unique, longer puzzles. While the world map has the smaller puzzles. The smaller puzzles are probably the hidden stuff you're talking about.

Just unlocked a new area. The map might make you think the world isn't that big, but if you're someone who likes to explore, there's alot of ground to cover.

In terms of fast travel, you have your major points you can travel to but every vault that you complete turns into a fast travel spot as well. So you can definitely get around easy.
Thank you again. Game sounds great. From the small amount I played on Stadia I did like it and thought it looked good even though it was 1080p and has some compression issues. Now I need to decide to get the deluxe edition with the season pass or the regular game.

Fappenmeister

Dec 2, 2017
Amazon sent this out days early (PS5). I noticed a bit of screen tearing during the intro.

oh, there's a day-one patch. I thought I had it installed already.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Saw a video preview of this and was kind of taken aback by how unbelievably grating the narrative stuff was.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
Saw a video preview of this and was kind of taken aback by how unbelievably grating the narrative stuff was.

Honestly to me it's no different than Borderlands humor which for me was grating at first, but won me over eventually. It's still hit or miss, but as long as the overall story is good and the game is fun I think it's fine to go with this style.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there aren't enough enemies attacking you at once though. Like the landscape mostly seems empty or something (not populated). I don't know if that would make me want the game more if there were more enemies, it's all I can think of though that I think this lacks as of right now.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they would drop the preload. Would be dope to download this on my November data cap vs December. I fucking hate that I have to contemplate shit like this.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would drop the preload. Would be dope to download this on my November data cap vs December. I fucking hate that I have to contemplate shit like this.
I'm so pissed about this. The week before I found out Comcast was going to make datacaps a thing for the North East, I had called and changed our plan and I asked 3 fucking times if we had a data cap and the lady said no. Then a week later this news came out about the new data caps. So aggravating.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so pissed about this. The week before I found out Comcast was going to make datacaps a thing for the North East, I had called and changed our plan and I asked 3 fucking times if we had a data cap and the lady said no. Then a week later this news came out about the new data caps. So aggravating.
It's absolute scumfuckery, still don't really understand how it's legal.

WildWayz

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really on the fence with this. The Stadia version I enjoyed - but want to try it on PC or PS5 first.
£60 for an Ubisoft game which I KNOW will drop in a couple of weeks... but then again, I have Ubisoft+ on PC, so I can try it there. But there isn't anything quite like console gaming lol.

Decisions, decisions. May do the PC thing then buy it on PS5 in the sales at Christmas.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Really on the fence with this. The Stadia version I enjoyed - but want to try it on PC or PS5 first.
£60 for an Ubisoft game which I KNOW will drop in a couple of weeks... but then again, I have Ubisoft+ on PC, so I can try it there. But there isn't anything quite like console gaming lol.

Decisions, decisions. May do the PC thing then buy it on PS5 in the sales at Christmas.

Are you digital only? Because the game can be had for about £45ish on PS5 physical.

WildWayz

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are you digital only? Because the game can be had for about £45ish on PS5 physical.

I just saw SimplyGames have it for about £45 so I bit the bullet and ordered it. Until it arrives (seems a bit slow the post at the moment - had a controller shipped from them on Thursday via 1st class recorded and it arrived today) I can play the PC version.

PS - got the Disc version :)

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
i dont know if anyone's mentioned it, but it looks like the preload is up on the uplay store on pc

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Immortals Fenyx Rising doesn't have nearly as organic discovery as Breath of the Wild, but it more than makes up for its shortcomings with gorgeous design, a witty script, and excellent combat.

My review:

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
We awarded it a 7/10: https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps5/immortals_fenyx_rising

While Immortals Fenyx Rising may not have too many ideas to call its own, Ubisoft has created a successful amalgamation worth checking out. Simplistic but enjoyable combat provides the basis for a stunning world full of explorative opportunities and a humorous narrative that'll have you chuckling once or twice. Just don't let anyone know what the cause was. Puzzles are definitely a source of frustration, but if you can look past them, Immortals Fenyx Rising provides a formulaic but entertaining experience.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This game looks awful, a cheap BOTW clone with horrible character designs and narrative

Couldn't disagree more. It "looks" like BOtW and definitely borrows ideas from it but it's anything but cheap.

If anything the production values seem to indicate a bigger budget than BOTW if you're really going to go there........

press-start.com.au

Immortals Fenyx Rising Review - An Epic Odyssey

Immortals Fenyx Rising Review - An Epic Odyssey

Immortals Fenyx Rising is an epic adventure that perfectly leverages the rich, storied history of Greek mythology with a focused and honed version of Ubisoft's now-ubiquitous open-world design. Deviating from the norm, the game's unique design and structure help Immortals be one of Ubisoft's most focused adventures and easily one of their most enjoyable yet.

www.well-played.com.au

Immortals Fenyx Rising Review

Awkward new name, bloody great game

On the surface Immortals Fenyx Rising might look like a standard Ubisoft open world game cosplaying as Breath of the Wild, and in a lot of ways it is, but it's also got a unique identity of its own that makes it so much more. Joyous combat, razor-sharp pacing, stacks of content and a thoroughly entertaining narrative make this an extremely compelling title for all ages and tastes, and a very comfortable world to return to over time. Plus it's bloody hilarious. It's even more of a no-brainer on new generation platforms, but whatever you play my advice is the same. Don't sleep on this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Crap I might need this sooner than expected but I don't think I have time for it yet.
I wonder if my son can handle it on his own

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
The stadia demo was fun it just ran like ass for me. I picked this up for ps5 because I need stuff to play on it. Probably would play and look better on my 3080 but I'm excited.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played BotW with expectations that it will be rereleased for whatever the next Switch product comes out. But now I feel guilty for playing this first as some of these reviews seem promising. Hmm.

Note: I do understand how dumb I actually am.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'll definitely pick this up...just not at launch. I can't justify full price in Ubi games

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!

I was just kind of debating whether I might want to go PC even though I only have a 1070 just so I could reduce resolution to ensure max framerate and detail levels.

As someone that has reviewed every Ubi game this year, don't play them on PC. Valhalla and Legion were incredibly broken, and from what I've read, they still are.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
This game will actively suffer because reviewers think it's their duty to dock points because some mechanics are borrowed from breath of the wild. The entire gaming industry is based on this sort of copying and yet it isn't as heavily lambasted as it is here. Sends the message that Nintendo is sacred and can't be copied or else.