• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
The more I play the game, the more impressed I am. It's gameplay is fun, the more stronger you get the more you can do. Tons of hidden things in the world and solving each puzzle feels rewarding. The dialogue is also hilarious.

This is turning out to be one of my favorite Opem World Fantasy games since Breath of the Wild and that is a huge compliment coming from me since BOTW is one of my favorite games ever, it especially looks beautiful on the Series X.

In my opinion, the 7/10's the game got did not do it justice. It was said in the OT but it feels like a Rare version of BOTW.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's just huge and yeah, full of surprisingly complex puzzles. Impressed me more than I ever expected.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
BOTW Rare Edition huh? đź‘€

Immortals always caught my eye, but now, that's a comparison I won't ignore.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sleeper hit means something that gains traction over time. This game came out 2 days ago haha.
giphy.gif

I agree OP, it's a ton of fun. The environmental puzzles have been the big draw for me, there are an absolute ton of them and they're very clever

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I want it really bad, but after how fast WD2 dropped, I'm holding out to see if they do the same to this.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping there's a patch for the switch version. I tried it Friday for a bit and it felt very janky. Intrigued by the dungeons, definitely want to play more once I finish Bugsnax.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks fun, and the demo was fun enough, but I really could not get over the writing. The banter between Zeus and Prometheus... Just yikes. It would be bad enough between any two characters, but here it is between Zeus and the person he literally chained up and forced to relive torture every single day just yucking it up. The sense of humor here is absolutely not for me.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I want it really bad, but after how fast WD2 dropped, I'm holding out to see if they do the same to this.
I feel like this won't go through the same thing. Wd2 dropped because of black Friday and Christmas. This game just came out a few days ago. I don't see them dropping the price for Christmas. Then there's no real holiday to entice a price drop anytime soon.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this won't go through the same thing. Wd2 dropped because of black Friday and Christmas. This game just came out a few days ago. I don't see them dropping the price for Christmas. Then there's no real holiday to entice a price drop anytime soon.

I mean possibly, but the game could not sell great and spur a sale. I have so much to play ATM, I'll take my chances. I've already overpaid on so many gifts that went on sell after I bought them this year, lol.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Sleeper hit means something that gains traction over time. This game came out 2 days ago haha.
Sleeper hit means something you didn't expect much from. It doesn't have to gain traction over time. Many games can be beaten in a few days.
OK, you can redefine the term sleeper hit if you want to.
I'm with Renna Hazel here. I've always used the term to describe anything that exceeds it's expected value or hype. Like in fantasy sports, when I talk about drafting a "sleeper", it's a player that people are "sleeping" on (i.e. undervaluing them). It's why I also label the game Chorus as a potential sleeper game, and that hasn't even been released yet.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'm with Renna Hazel here. I've always used the term to describe anything that exceeds it's expected value or hype. Like in fantasy sports, when I talk about drafting a "sleeper", it's a player that people are "sleeping" on (i.e. undervaluing them). It's why I also label the game Chorus as a potential sleeper game, and that hasn't even been released yet.

Agreed.

I associate a "Sleeper Hit" as something that becomes an unexpected success upon its release, usually it was dismissed as outright crap based just on previews but the actual end product exceeded expectations.

Basically a case of folks writing the game off or dismissing it entirely thus they'll ignore it and pass over it, just as you say "sleep" on the game but there is a collective that enjoys it and shows the game showing scope and content that goes beyond initial impressions made.

It doesn't matter if we are two days after the release. The fact is the overall initial impression in previews leading up to the games release were very overly negative, doesn't help the fact there is a specific ERA bubble in general that has an inherent bias against Ubisoft titles, yet ironically no pun on the games title, is the game is actually rising above that and is genuinely very good.

Hard to say this'll become a cult classic or a case of being game that is just quality by popular vote. The jury's still out on that, but the 8 hours I put into it so far are very, very promising.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
I would also use the term sleeper hit.

I went from absolutely clueless about this game, spending 10 minutes on the Stadia demo, and now 27 hours into the full game.

Been loving every minute and highly recommend it.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I had pretty much completely counted this game out after reading and seeing things about this game before release...and then I started watching people actually play the game and it actually looks really great. It looks far more enjoyable than the new assassins creed and watch dogs games to me.

Even seeing people talk about the dialogue turned me away from the game, but again after watching it I actually like it lol. I really appreciate the tone of the game, everything I've been playing and plan to play are all so serious and hardcore that it's looking like a breath of fresh air. It really reminds me of PS2 era games such as Jak and Daxter.

I look forward to playing it after I finish up Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk!

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Think someone who doesn't like botw could enjoy it?

That entirely depends on what you disliked about BOTW.

Well for one thing weapon degradation isn't a thing for example, but also like BOTW there are no levels but you increase in power by trading in specific resources to increase your Life and Stamina for example. It's also how you increase your ATK power for the three weapon categories Swords, Axes, and Bow.

The Vaults are very much like Shrines being condensed puzzle dungeons and exploration and getting around is pretty much the same.

Cbrun44

Kind of shocked how much I'm enjoying it given my original thoughts on what this game would be. Honestly, I had zero intention on playing it at all. But the positive buzz here pulled me in. Having a really, really good time with it. Definitely one of the handful of my favorite games of the year

RealEvil

Nov 6, 2017
I think I will like this but I suspect it may drop in price as fast as Watchdogs did, meaning ÂŁ35 by XMAS here in the UK.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm going to give it until I've finished Valhalla but I'm definitely interested on either Switch or PS5.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Game is top notch. A perfect blend of Assassin's Creed and BOTW. Fun sense of humor that still shows a degree of reverence for the mythology. Drop dead gorgeous on the Series X, too.

Highly recommend it.

Oct 31, 2017
I wanted to like it, but it's just Assassin's Creed X BoTW. And I hate both those games as is.

And with Ubisoft's bloated open-worlds, I just got so bored with its tedious puzzles and collectables.

I hated the "Humor" as well, eventually I just had to skip the cutscenes just to get past that awful dialogue.

Glad people like it though and I hope it does well, but I just haven't enjoyed Ubisoft's games since Black Flag, and this one certainly has nothing unique about it to me.

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020
The world isn't as big as Ubisoft Open World Games are. Maybe thats the key? Why they actually developed a world that doens't feel empty most of the time.

Anyhow, if you are going to play this TURN OFF ALL THE UBISOFT STUFF IN THE OPTIONS, YOU CAN MAKE THIS GAME GET 10 TIMES BETTER BY SAYING BYE BYE BYE to all the stupid minimap markers

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I completely agree. It's by far the best product Ubi have put out this year, yet seems to have flown under the radar for most.

It's certainly Ubi BOTW but it also feels like a complete breath of fresh air for the team working on it - they clearly had a lot of fun with it.

It's super polished, looks absolutely great on next gen machines, has satisfying & fun combat (especially if you bump the difficulty), tons of smart little puzzles and it's just a joy to play. Honestly it's leaps better than their other 2 games released this holiday.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Not surprised people who actually play it tend to like it.
'Uninspired' is a great term to put in reviews to justify low scores, but in the real world, most people treat games as standalone, distinct experiences.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested but I think generally this game is going to bomb. Might pick it up when it drops in price.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I only picked it up today, but my 6 hours so far have been a lot of fun. It has a great, light-hearted feel and a world full of stuff to do. Seems nicely polished, too.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Really love it so far and I can't say that about many games these days. I'm a little tired of most gaming or gaming in general because like 90% of games, even those that look perfect on paper, wouldn't motivate me enough to keep going for more than 30min.

Immortals somehow manages to have me intrigued. I love the facial expressions, the animations, the voice acting and how the story unfolds and is told. The combat is simple yet super fun and feels impactful. Exploration is rewarding and I don't use the scouting features so I don't get icons on the maps I would farm but instead just set out and let me guide myself wherever I want.

I also like and I'm a bit suprised, too, that there's an open world game without an XP bar these days. Equipment and character improvement feels much more rewarding (so does exploration) and there's no level gating. You have to improve your gear, not push some lvl number up in order to improve your odds.

I'm genuinely surprised seeing this game made by Ubisoft.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking it so far. It's like a mash up of AC Odyssey and BOTW. The activities and encounters so far have been varied and it feels rewarding to accomplish things.

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020
Fyi, I think the narration might not be for everyone but I love how its taking itself lightly and actually putting on a good comidic show for the player. Some reviewers didn't like it, I'm loving it so far.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks fun, and the demo was fun enough, but I really could not get over the writing. The banter between Zeus and Prometheus... Just yikes. It would be bad enough between any two characters, but here it is between Zeus and the person he literally chained up and forced to relive torture every single day just yucking it up. The sense of humor here is absolutely not for me.

Agreed, I couldn't even finish the demo because of it. If I get it in the future because it's under ÂŁ10 or something, then I'll probably just mute it and use it as a podcast game when I have nothing else to play.

Nov 1, 2017
I still can't get over how bad that name is. I know it's to do with them not being able to use Gods and Monsters but that's far better. The stupid spelling of Fenyx, the dumb trend of Name: Unnecessary Addition (i blame Horizon: Zero Dawn for this), just the fact that it sounds like one of those generic low effort mobile games that is usually advertised with some huge titted lady with a variation of "Come play with me, my lord!". Just terrible in every respect.

Who was it that stopped them using the original title and why didn't Ubisoft fight it?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I am only half an hour in (so admittedly really not much) and so far for me, it does not give any BOTW vibes, at all. But the game is fine so far, and I like the Zeus/Promotheus banter (though I hated the narration in Bastion for example), so I'm good.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017

I'm like an hour in at the moment and this game set a record for how brief a time before I thought "holy shit, shut the fuck up" about the characters. The constant, miserable narration is a drag so far.

The people saying it looks like a mobile game studio made BotW match my impression so far. It looks like it's missing textures or something on PS5.

Even if this does wind up selling well, I wonder how long most people stick with it before bouncing off.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
given how much BoTW was inspired by UBI openworld games I dont think its fair to say immortals is a zelda clone.
I still can't get over how bad that name is. I know it's to do with them not being able to use Gods and Monsters but that's far better. The stupid spelling of Fenyx, the dumb trend of Name: Unnecessary Addition (i blame Horizon: Zero Dawn for this), just the fact that it sounds like one of those generic low effort mobile games that is usually advertised with some huge titted lady with a variation of "Come play with me, my lord!". Just terrible in every respect.

Who was it that stopped them using the original title and why didn't Ubisoft fight it?
Kid Icarus: Gods and Monsters... perfect!

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I wish they didn't release it so close to Valhalla. I can't handle multiple Ubisoft open world games to close to eachother.

I'm interested in playing the game, but maybe sometime next year.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Game is fantastic, absolute blast on PS5. Pretty much everything— visuals, combat, puzzles, and the game's sense of humor — hits just right for me. Hands down Ubi's beat game this year; I already uninstalled Valhalla.