• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
No one will think less of the dev in question. If Fenyx even leads to a game that is half as good as BotW that's great.

I mean, yes I do think less of Ubisoft than Nintendo in this case since I respect + look up to innovation and new experiences. That said, I won't necessarily think less of the game if it's still an enjoyable time... it's just more like a night on with a random show on Netflix vs. a night out (rip movie theaters) to see a blockbuster, different expectations.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to believe they even copied the core abilities. I still want to give it a shot though.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There's no shame in looking to other games for inspiration but this is a straight up clone. I would have appreciated if ONE major aspect of the game were completely different.

The magnesis-style power-ups.
The cooking system.
The trial dungeons.
The stamina system.
The color palette, game aesthetic and world layout.
The character designs.
The climbing and gliding system.
The horse sneaking/taming system.
The combat.
the Map system.
The enemies and bosses.

...oh hey, the weapons don't break.

Jesus fuck. There is no attempt to even pretend that this is a full-copy. "Inspired by BotW" is aggressively generous. It's one thing when indy studios borrow from other games, but this is Ubisoft.

This is brazen as hell.

Who cares lmao. There are countless games out there that are blatant clones of more successful games. It's not the first time it has happened and it won't be the last. Just don't play it if it doesn't interest you.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So on top of the reused Odyssey assets they reused gameplay loop too. After last year and Ubisofts promise that they will change their games they today showed that for the most part nothing is changed.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I think the dialogue will change from "NO IT'S NOT LIKE BOTW" to "I'm glad they stole BOTW. Now they can do it better. God BOTW was so boring".

I'm here to vomit for it.

You were too late. This already happened in the thread's very first post. It's tiresome.

That said, if Ubisoft is going to shamelessly rip off a game, it might as well be one of the greatest games of all time. I might get this, in spite of the terrible name and so-so aesthetic, if the gameplay is fun enough. I do like the idea of doing a more playful, less grimly self-serious take on greek mythology, and the world itself seems pretty cool.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I honestly see no issue at all with other games taking inspiration in BOTW. It's one of the greatest games of all time, of course someone was going try to do it again but with a little twist.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
So am I the only one who thinks it looks great? The human character art style looks fine. Though i think Zelda has had quite a few ugly characters in the series.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Looks good enough, but I'm guessing it'll be rather repetitive in nature like Starlink. I'll hold off for a bit after launch when it plummets in price, as per usual for ubi.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
So on top of the reused Odyssey assets they reused gameplay loop too. After last year and Ubisofts promise that they will change their games they today showed that for the most part nothing is changed.

Not really the Odyssey loop to be honest.

Like, Odyssey is clearly the base and combat is pure Odyssey, but otherwise, it doesn't feel like it. Or Breath of the Wild to be honest. Sort lives in this middle area.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
There's no shame in looking to other games for inspiration but this is a straight up clone. I would have appreciated if ONE major aspect of the game were completely different.

The cooking system.
The trial dungeons.
The stamina system.
The character designs.
The combat.
the Map system.
The enemies and bosses.

Jesus fuck. There is no attempt to even pretend that this is a full-copy. "Inspired by BotW" is aggressively generous. It's one thing when indy studios borrow from other games, but this is Ubisoft.

This is brazen as hell.
Unless you are a Nintendo exec why do you care?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly see no issue at all with other games taking inspiration in BOTW. It's one of the greatest games of all time, of course someone was going try to do it again but with a little twist.
I don't take issue with their doing this, I just wonder if I could enjoy playing it. Think of it this way, suppose there was this great movie you absolutely loved and saw repeatedly until you knew it by heart. Then another movie comes out, with scene after scene copied (with some changes) from that great movie - won't that hurt your sense of immersion and your ability to enjoy this new movie? I am afraid it will for me.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I was so hyped for G&M. Feel deflated right now.

Not a fan of the aesthetic they settled on. Just not pretty to look at.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Not really the Odyssey loop to be honest.

Like, Odyssey is clearly the base and combat is pure Odyssey, but otherwise, it doesn't feel like it. Or Breath of the Wild to be honest. Sort lives in this middle area.

I meant loot chasing loop. There are more interesting puzzles and abilities for sure but at it's core it is another Loot focused RPG. At least that is what i am getting from previews.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
On the easy allies preview there is a part where the character jumps into a rift thing and the loading between sections is like 1-2 seconds. Wonder if this is running on next gen

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I don't take issue with their doing this, I just wonder if I could enjoy playing it. Think of it this way, suppose there was this great movie you absolutely loved and saw repeatedly until you knew it by heart. Then another movie comes out, with scene after scene copied (with some changes) from that great movie - won't that hurt your sense of immersion and your ability to enjoy this new movie? I am afraid it will for me.

I don't think it's the same with movies. If a movie does the same thing another movie already did, it won't surprise me again, of course. But if a gameplay loop is satisfying and another game does it again, I'll find it satisfying again.

And it's been three years since BOTW came out and I haven't played anything like it since then, so I welcome this chance to "do it again" but with a new experience.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Honestly, outside the art style and bow, it doesn't even feel that much like BOTW to me. The fact there seems to be a lot of cinematics and voiced scenes also makes me think this won't fell that much like the game as many are assuming either.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
This looks great.

The cooking system.
The trial dungeons.
The stamina system.
The character designs.
The combat.
the Map system.
The enemies and bosses.

This is brazen as hell.
the combat looks completely different to BOTW.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I want to like this...but the fact that Gods & Monsters looked way nicer artistically, is really annoying.

They had a great main character and ruined it with a generic redesign (and I can only assume that the person who chose the new name, is the person who put a 'Z' on the end of all their DS/Wii game names back in the day.It takes talent to create a name this bad).

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it looks bad. I actually like the art style. That HUD though....if you can tinker the size of it, that would be great.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I meant loot chasing loop. There are more interesting puzzles and abilities for sure but at it's core it is another Loot focused RPG. At least that is what i am getting from previews.

Ahhh. Yeah, the loot system is the same, though we only gained new loot at the end of two quests in the demo. If there's a more general "you get loot from every enemy", that wasn't apparent in the demo.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
the combat looks completely different to BOTW.

Correct, since weapons don't deteriorate and special attacks are available on a recharging basis, much like AC. Really, the combat feels a lot like AC: Valhalla (which I've also played), and that means targeting foes in a crowd felt like a mess in this two-hour demo (with camera occlusion on nearby geometry coming up more than I cared for).

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's the same with movies. If a movie does the same thing another movie already did, it won't surprise me again, of course. But if a gameplay loop is satisfying and another game does it again, I'll find it satisfying again.

And it's been three years since BOTW came out and I haven't played anything like it since then, so I welcome this chance to "do it again" but with a new experience.
Well you could be right - or not, time will tell. I'l wait for player impressions, I don't care about the opinion of people who didn't love BOTW since their taste is clearly different than mine, but if people who really loved BOTW will enjoy this, I'll bite.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Correct, since weapons don't deteriorate and special attacks are available on a recharging basis, much like AC. Really, the combat feels a lot like AC: Valhalla (which I've also played), and that means targeting foes in a crowd felt like a mess in this two-hour demo (with camera occlusion on nearby geometry coming up more than I cared for).
Oh, that's a shame. It looked almost character action-y during the Easy Allies preview.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
I dig this game, but this scene here looks like I'm seeing some PC modded Breath of the Wild video:

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
This looks so good! Love any Zelda like game like this, and this world seems to he more dense with things to do which was a big issue with BOTW for me, how empty many areas were.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
This looks kind of mediocre, like a generally worse version of BOTW. Not a fan of the character design and general art style. The new title seems like a downgrade, too.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not receptive to anything from Ubisoft right now.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
It looks crazy similar to Odyssey lol. But I love Odyssey and BOTW so I'll probably play this.

Aug 13, 2019
I feel like there's something... off about this. But I can't put my finger on it. Like, despite the fact that it's taken some heavy inspirations from BOTW so it should absolutely be my bread and butter, it looks... Unsatisfying.

I mean, good for you that you found enjoyment in it but I found it objectively boring and not worth the $60 price tag. I beat it because I felt obligated to but it was not worth the time I put in.
The word you're looking for is subjectively.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020

The cooking system.
The trial dungeons.
The stamina system.
The character designs.
The combat.
the Map system.
The enemies and bosses.

This is brazen as hell.
Combat is a major aspect and it is different.