• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GravyCheeks

Oct 31, 2017

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I'd pull the trigger on digital but I really don't want physical anymore. I mean I guess I could always resell it but I've kinda gotten into a habit of keeping all my games.

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
I had this preordered at Best Buy back when it was still Gods & Monsters and it still hasn't arrived due to shipping delays both at Best Buy and usps. Wonder how cheap it will get before I get it.

Matterhorn

Feb 6, 2019
United States
I love this game. Have it on Switch and PS5. Ubisoft has cloud saves for this game so you can easily go between platforms. I am about halfway through the game and have about 30 hours in. Split equally between Switch and PS5. It is fun and definitely scratches that BOTW itch, while having plenty of its own unique benefits as well.

For $30 it is a steal. Switch version is legit in case anyone was wondering, but it also looks amazing on PS5.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I really wanna play this game, but I've been 8 years strong on my boycott on never giving Ubisoft money and I don't want to break it.

I may finally break and buy this game used, it looks so fun and $29 is a steal.

Ubisoft put out Valiant Hearts, one of the most memorable games of the 2010s 8ish years ago. They became one of my favorite devs at that point.

Edit: Nvm, 6 years ago. Still...

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's a good game. It has some similarities to Breath of the Wild, which is my personal GOAT, but it differs enough to be its own thing.

As I said in the OT, it feels like if Breath of the Wild was imitated by Rare of the 90's to me.

That kind of goes for the humor, too. It shifts focus away from the kinda survival-lite mechanics of Breath of the Wild and replaces them with kind of a collectathon setup instead, and combat is like a faster, snappier AC Odyssey with air combat mechanics added in too.

I think my only personal gripe is that I hate the telescope/scouting mechanic of the game where you scan the horizon and pick out points of interest... It's just tedious and feels like it's too densely packed from that perspective, but when you actually strike out and explore, I feel like the density feels a lot more engaging. I just hate the few times I've stopped and tried to scout things out, but outside of that small issue, I think this is generally a great (but not amazing) game.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
So I looked at what's available for pickup, and it's a solid 30 minute drive. For that, I might as well get the digital version for $40, and save myself the drive. I'd rather digital anyway.

Or I wait till spring time when this will def hit $30 digital.

Oct 25, 2017
I do kind of want to play this, but the style of humor in this game is an absolute deal breaker for me. I can't deal with it, unfortunately.
As someone immediately turned off by the writing in the trailers, I can tell you that the overall game isn't as comedy-forward as I was expecting. The writing outside of the worst jokes is pretty good.

I got the game last week and haven't played anything else since. It feels really good to play.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
I was about to buy it for $40 the other day, but $30 is definitely low enough for me to check it out. I am still not sure on the puzzles and the humor the game is bringing overall, but will give it a shot.

It's been strange but finding the PS5 disc version was a bit harder with the big retailers.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Unavailable everywhere near me.

I liked when GameStop used to carry games.

Same thing with Miles Morales. "Oh, we don't have that in stock, but we could order it for you. You'd have it in a few days."

Yes. You could use the internet and order it for me. I could also order it online from one of your competitors, but I chose to enter your store to buy it in person from you. Don't have display cases out of games that you don't have available.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I do kind of want to play this, but the style of humor in this game is an absolute deal breaker for me. I can't deal with it, unfortunately.

Genuinely awful writing they insist on shoving down your throat constantly. Borderlands never bothered me but I almost muted this game within minutes.

It's a surprisingly shallow game that's only superficially similar to BotW. You've seen everything there is in Fenyx within a couple hours. You're still pulling a box onto a switch and rolling a boulder minutes before the end of the game. There's no layered systems or anything clever like setting fires then gliding off those. It's just a light coat of BotW paint on top of the standard Ubi fare.

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Pro tip: If you want the best deal on PC for the Gold Edition (game + season pass), put the Standard Edition + Season Pass as separate items in your cart. The current Winter Sale is "Buy 1 new release + 1 of anything else to get an extra 21% off", and this seems to count. Makes the total $63 instead of the Gold Edition's $80.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

any good videos showing examples? I bounced off Sunset Overdrive mainly because of the humour just irritating me. But this game looks pretty damn interesting otherwise.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Wonderful, very fun game if you can look past some of the VO and writing (which I totally had no problem doing). Great for podcast playing! It's just a joy to play. Just don't expect anything from the story.

honestly, one of my fav games of the year.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I've already played one Ubi open world game this season and that is more than enough. And the writing is just bad, regardless of people attempting to dismiss it.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Fun game, just be prepared for a heavy emphasis on (pretty good) puzzles. Like, a lot of them.

Good game.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Unavailable everywhere near me.

I liked when GameStop used to carry games.

Same thing with Miles Morales. "Oh, we don't have that in stock, but we could order it for you. You'd have it in a few days."

Yes. You could use the internet and order it for me. I could also order it online from one of your competitors, but I chose to enter your store to buy it in person from you. Don't have display cases out of games that you don't have available.

Ugh sad but true. Love shopping for games in store but this type of situation is way too common.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
They released too any damn games at once. I appreciate the hustle, but i still haven beat AC and Watch Dogs. Will wait till its 20.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I like the writing/humor, but it hits a real sweet spot between immature chidlishness and mean spirited Greek mythology that I can see only appealing to a pretty specific demographic. It works for me, but hey, I'm an immature child who likes Greek myths.

Would definitely also be a great game to mute and put on a podcast while playing though.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's a great game that will sadly get ignored by many. This is why we get so many sequels from the big publishers.

The humor doesn't do anything for me, but I love the game for it's gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the writing/humor, but it hits a real sweet spot between immature chidlishness and mean spirited Greek mythology that I can see only appealing to a pretty specific demographic. It works for me, but hey, I'm an immature child who likes Greek myths.

Would definitely also be a great game to mute and put on a podcast while playing though.

Damn it, I am an immature child too, and I like Greek fantasy. Decisions, decisions.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

I feel like itd work since if you know Greek mythology you know Prometheus and Zeus are war buddies that also happen to be prisoner and jailer

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Easily my goty, and I really dislike open world ubi games. Just something about it is fun and compelling to play

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely awful writing they insist on shoving down your throat constantly. Borderlands never bothered me but I almost muted this game within minutes.

It's a surprisingly shallow game that's only superficially similar to BotW. You've seen everything there is in Fenyx within a couple hours. You're still pulling a box onto a switch and rolling a boulder minutes before the end of the game. There's no layered systems or anything clever like setting fires then gliding off those. It's just a light coat of BotW paint on top of the standard Ubi fare.
This is my problem with it. The world is beautiful and it does "feel" good at 60 fps on the next-gen systems, but the loop is extremely short and the world is so dense that it gets repetitive quickly. I think the "instanced" dungeons / puzzle chambers all have the same aesthetics and mostly the same mechanics and it just gets so tired. BotW had this problem too but at least the divine beasts felt a bit different.

I finished the first big area and did a ton...moved to the second area, went to a vault...and was like...oh my gosh I'm still pushing boxes onto switches.

I just can't get into these games.