• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I've played about 20 hours of the main game, and the demo dialogue feels like a weird outlier. Yes, it definitely hews closer to Big Bang Theory than [Insert favorite comedy show here] in terms of comedy, but the main game goes long stretches where it's just you and the world. The demo is VERY talkative by comparison.

For me, it's a fun way to brush up on Greek mythology. The jokes don't always land, but I definitely prefer this attitude over a grim-dark interpretation of Greek myths...
The demo dialogue was created specifically for the demo and isn't present in the main game if I remember correctly.

Any idea how long the demo is?

As long as you want it to be. Just don't do the final quest and you're free to explore all you want. There's so much stuff hidden around the small bit of world they gave us.

Oct 25, 2017
The demo dialogue was created specifically for the demo and isn't present in the main game if I remember correctly.
Yeah, I'd heard this as well. It's interesting how much they decided to double-down on the dialogue for the demo. It's not my favorite part of the game at all, but I definitely don't feel as annoyed by it in the main game as I did while playing the demo (downloaded it for Switch to try it out there).

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
i cant read this whole thread

can you transfer your dave
is it worth it on the switch
how long is the demo

You can beat it fairly quick (like 15-20 minute if just doing the main tasks) or get a bit longer play time if you explore a bit more (it took me well over an hour during my second play just exploring the place). I highly doubt you can transfer your save over.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I should get back to this. I don't usually play Ubisoft mega games so I burned out a couple of islands in, but it's a great game. Nice the demo is out everywhere now.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well the writing makes me chuckle and I'm having fun with it but if someone told me that this is a Total Conversation mod of Assassin's Creed Odyssey I wouldn't bait an eye, wow o.o. Also why doesn't this have Dualshock icons on PC like every other Ubisoft game?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I couldn't agree more on all accounts.

It's just a really enjoyable gaming experience! Not too hard, not too easy, not too overly grim dark, sad dad, and it's not trying to reinvent the wheel, just utilizing established gaming mechanics that are, shocking, fun.

I view it like Jedi Fallen Order or Genshin Impact, right? It's a game that wears its inspirations on its sleeves, and takes elements established by other titles in the same genre, and just has fun with them. This mentality that every game needs to reinvent the gaming space is, I think, a misguided one. Not all games need to be innovative, and after playing a game where the mechanics are enjoyable (of which BotW has some enjoyable mechanics), you'd naturally want to play more games with those same fun mechanics, right? Especially when you know that the wait for a follow up is a ways away. Then, when you get it, it's...bad? I'm confused.

Fenyx isn't going to win any awards for originality, but similar to Genshin Impact and Jedi Fallen Order, it feels familiar, but is different enough to be its own thing, and doesn't shit the bed with the inspirations it's drawing from. As an example of a game that I felt fell short in that regard is Lords of the Fallen. Clearly inspired by Soulslike games, but it's more of a surface level inspiration, without really utilizing that inspiration in an engaging way.

Fenyx, Genshin, and Fallen Order have fun combat (important for an action game, I'd say), pretty visuals, and well crafted environments that reward exploration in some way. I honestly don't demand more than that. None of the games are perfect, but I'm enjoying playing them, and don't scoff at the obvious similarities to their inspiration (BotW for Fenyx and Genshin, and Soulslikes for Fallen Order).

We often complain about the "death of A, and AA games," but when we get them, they're often dismissed because "X game did it first," or "X game did it better." I just want to play fun games. Fenyx is fun, and doesn't take itself too seriously. I definitely wasn't expecting God of War from this game lol

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Does it have microtransactions? I haven't played the last few Ubisoft games (I'm looking at you Odyssey!) due to a principle I have regarding the practice of microtransactions in a full priced game.

Edit: Nevermind, it does. I'll just buy it preowned when it's sub $15 later this year

The microtransactions are just skins. There's no pay-2-win content.

Won't be downloading the demo

...because I already played through the whole game and LOVED it

Then you're missing out on a mission. The demo is basically a standalone mission/location that is not in the main game.

I think the demo is a stand-alone experience, so I doubt it transfers.
You can beat it fairly quick (like 15-20 minute if just doing the main tasks) or get a bit longer play time if you explore a bit more (it took me well over an hour during my second play just exploring the place). I highly doubt you can transfer your save over.

I haven't played the new release of the demo, but on Stadia, when you finished, it gave the option to link to UbiConnect to unlock the armor you found in the demo in the main game.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Just played through the demo and wow, it plays great (though the controls will take a bit to get used to) and I really enjoyed it more than I was expecting. I was already set on getting this game, but I might end up getting it sooner than expected.

Only one thing, please tell me the Zeus and Prometheus banter is not a constant thing, it was the only thing I didn't like from the demo, not because of the dialogue, but because as a non-native English speaker, I actually have to pay some attention to the subtitles and that's no fun to do when you're actually in the middle of gameplay.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I never assumed they were anything else. If they were pay to win, I flat out would never buy it. I appreciate the clarification regardless.

I suppose it is personal preference. I'm not a fan of microtransactions that a P2W or feel as though you're being punished for not buying them.

But skins? For me that's no harm, no foul. Game already has a nice set of skin options for you to play around with. I've no issue with paying extra for additional custom skins if someone really likes the look. After all, someone had to pay an artist to sit there and design them.

Just played through the demo and wow, it plays great (though the controls will take a bit to get used to) and I really enjoyed it more than I was expecting. I was already set on getting this game, but I might end up getting it sooner than expected.

Only one thing, please tell me the Zeus and Prometheus banter is not a constant thing, it was the only thing I didn't like from the demo.

The banter isn't constant, but it is an enjoyable (and core) part of the game, IMO. There are a lot of references to classic mythology throughout the game and the banter (along with the look) makes it a great game for watching as well.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The banter isn't constant, but it is an enjoyable (and core) part of the game, IMO. There are a lot of references to classic mythology throughout the game and the banter (along with the look) makes it a great game for watching as well.
It's more distracting to me when it happens in the middle of gameplay. If it happened during a cutscene or when the camera is panning and I can't control the character, that'd be fine. Will have to try and make an effort not to read subtitles during those instances when I play the full game.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
tried the ms store link in the OP and couldnt get it to work. typical ms store bullshit. checked the windows store app too, nothing there but a guide for the game. meanwhile its front page on uplay. might want to include a uplay link or even just mention it in the OP.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
tried the ms store link in the OP and couldnt get it to work. typical ms store bullshit. checked the windows store app too, nothing there but a guide for the game. meanwhile its front page on uplay. might want to include a uplay link or even just mention it in the OP.

The MS link in the OP is for Xbox.

After you login to your account, just click the "get" button and then download to your console.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Does it have microtransactions? I haven't played the last few Ubisoft games (I'm looking at you Odyssey!) due to a principle I have regarding the practice of microtransactions in a full priced game.

Edit: Nevermind, it does. I'll just buy it preowned when it's sub $15 later this year
The cosmetics are unlockable with in game currency you can earn as well

I was surprised with how generous they were with it

albeit there's more than enough cosmetics in the game already

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Worked as expected on Xbox Series X/S. Only place I had an issue was PS5 when a search only revealed the PS4 version for some reason.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Oh another thing that pissed me off other than the stamina bar nonsense and the awful combat: the control scheme. What the hell is this nonsense. Thankfully all the buttons can be remapped, but dodge on square, are you kidding me?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Oh another thing that pissed me off other than the stamina bar nonsense and the awful combat: the control scheme. What the hell is this nonsense. Thankfully all the buttons can be remapped, but dodge on square, are you kidding me?

I suspect this is because dodge and parry are more important than attacking.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
ok welp, that demo sold me 100%. would much rather play that instead of genshin and having a jav actress screeching in my ear. kinda concerned about performance though as i have having some pretty bad frame drops with a 2070s at 1440p. can anyone with the retail pc ver. comment on its performance?

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I've not watched a trailer or taken any interest in the game before the demo and found it surprisingly fun.

The controls felt odd for a few minutes until I adjusted to the layout. Once it clicked I didn't have any issues. I did find the combat a bit easy despite playing on hard but there is just enough challenge to keep you on your toes and being aware of enemies.

The banter and story telling between Zeus and Prometheus made me laugh a few times. Especially when they started arguing about what enemy I was to fight before settling on Roosters lol

I've seen a few copies going really cheap on eBay and I'll probably pick it up for £15 once I've finished a few other games.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That was pretty great. Definitely better than my time spent with Legion. I'll definitely consider picking it up later down the line.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't much care for it even expecting a fairly lighthearted game. The voice overs were so offputting, I could barely make it through.

Also, someone please tell developers not to make users navigate UI menus by moving an analog cursor around screen like a mouse. It's maddening.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Very colorful with nice HDR pop. Played smoothly on Series X. Fun demo not sure if it would hold my attention for long tho.

daevv

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 demo froze twice before the opening cut scenes ended. Would then crash the game all together when I when to close the demo. Not sure what was up with that. Managed to play through the PS4 version on the PS5 though. Liked it enough and will buy it when it goes cheaper on the digital store.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the demo on Switch in portable mode tonight. I actually dig it. Like others have said it's very familiar...but I do like the combat and appreciate the dialogue and light humor. One thing that sucks is that the demo has the vanilla version of the game instead of the 1.0.3 patch with the improvements across the board. Take that into consideration and look up videos on YouTube for how it has improved since launch.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
After putting 25+ hours into the game, I'm shelving it. Ubisoft's design philosophy is "be derivative" and nowhere else is it more obvious than Immortals. It's a mediocre copy of BotW mixed with Ubisoft's "open-world design" that's just "see an icon? go to the icon." This is tiresome and it's put me off purchasing another Ubi game until they do something different.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Played the demo on Switch and i liked it quite a bit.
I probably will buy it sometime in the future on whatever platform has the best deal. For 20€ i would get it.
The PS5 version would be the best of course, but i thought the Switch version looked more than ok for me.

Wait for sale.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
Well that's sold me on the game. Great fun. Now: let's hope it's on sale this coming week, to really capitalise, as I'm not sure it's £60 fun...

Alefas

Mar 6, 2019
Am I the only one that enjoyed the Prometheus and Zeus comedy duo? It is quite funny if you know your mythology. As a Greek I guess I am quite familiar with that. Does the main game have more of that kind of banter or more anachronisms (like gesundheit)?

The only thing I did not like was the control scheme but people say that it can be changed, and the colors were too saturated (or is it too much bloom?), almost gave me a headache.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that enjoyed the Prometheus and Zeus comedy duo? It is quite funny if you know your mythology. As a Greek I guess I am quite familiar with that. Does the main game have more of that kind of banter or more anachronisms (like gesundheit)?

The only thing I did not like was the control scheme but people say that it can be changed, and the colors were too saturated (or is it too much bloom?), almost gave me a headache.

I liked it especially after playing games that are way too serious recently. This is kinda making me want to play Kid Icarus again tbh

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Good looking game. I really fail to see similarities with Botw, minutes the climbing and maybe the way it varied objects. Visually is pleasing and also different, more defined if that makes sense, colorful style.

Will try it further, but the camera is a bit tricky sometimes and control scheme a bit confusing too.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I tried it on a whim and didn't think I would like it as much, but turns out I did as soon as I remapped some of the controls. Still think the art style is ugly, but it's fun everywhere else, will get it when it hits around $30 digitally.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I made a second run through the demo last night and it's much better once you have a handle on the controls. Combat and traversal are so good.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I've played through the demo four times by now, twice on Switch, twice on PC.
It's simply a fun game all around. The banter can get annoying, but I got used to it and actually had to grin every now and then as some of those lines were just dumb fun I enjoyed. The combat flows well and is entertaining, as are the exploration and puzzles.

The game looks pretty nice on PC, been playing it both at 1080p (15.6" laptop screen) and 1440p (4k 32" monitor) @60 fps.
On Switch - eh. I played it on there first (both docked and undocked), so it wasn't like I experienced it after the superior PC version. I still found it to be a bit ugly on its own terms. Rather rough around the edges and a few framedrops here and there. More open areas with grass also tanked the resolution, it got a bit more blurry than I would like, especially handheld.

It's impressive Ubisoft pulled it off on the Switch to begin with, and I appreciate the effort of releasing it on the little hybrid, but that version just doesn't do it for me. Usually I pick up everything I'm interested in on Switch over PC (if available on both) for the more portable usage, but in this case, I wouldn't be able to stomach the compromises of the Switch version.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
The demo was fun but I am disappointed in the frame rate on PS5. Moving the camera around to look at the environment was giving me a headache. I thought this game was 60fps on next gen consoles?

finally

Jul 22, 2019
The gameplay seems fun but I despise puzzles, I wish that they stop putting it in every game.