• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Tried it on Switch. This demo does not make a good first impression. It firmly cemented in my mind that I made the right decision to not buy this game when it first came out and the BOTW comparisons were being thrown around left and right.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
This game is a lot of fun to play. People giving up on it because of a cut scene or some not exceptional dialog are missing out on some really fun gameplay.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Such a surprisingly fun game. I bought it mostly blind, and am really loving it. It's shamelessly inspired by BotW, but with enjoyable combat (and being shamelessly inspired by BotW is not a negative, people. it's how genres and game systems grow and evolve). The environments are gorgeous, and the enemy designs are fun. Not a huge fan of the look of the human characters, but they also aren't hideous or anything. The humor can be hit or miss, but, to be honest, after playing such heavy games like TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima last year, I really appreciated the light hearted tone of Fenyx, and a few of the humorous bits actually made me laugh and chuckle.

I think it's a good game for kids to play and keep them occupied for a while, as well as kids at heart. I was pleasantly surprised by this, and glad I took a chance on it, after watching a gameplay video and thought it looked really fun (also didn't hurt that I really wanted something else to play on my PS5 lol). I got sidetracked by other games, but I plan on diving back into it again once I clear at least one more title from the backlog. The game is big, with a lot of open world busy work, but it's fun to roam around and fight, and solve puzzles and upgrade my character.

It's just this really chill, non-high stakes type of gaming experience that I needed after such a tumultuous 2020.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts on the PC version:
- Performance was surprisingly rough
- That intro cutscene was rough
- I like the twistiness of the story, but I can tell you don't play this game for the story
- Combat feels fun, but the enemies seem to have way more health than I'd expect and it takes too many combos to get them down
- For some reason the main menu dropped me from ~60fps to 30fps
- God I'm so fucking tired of "move the reticle and hold the button" UI design
- Speaking of the UI, it feels like a reskin of AC:Odyssey and that's not very interesting

Overall I could see liking it, but not at full price and not even at the current sale price. Once it goes below, say, $25 I may consider grabbing it.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
People don't like the dialogue?

I find it unironically really funny. Am I low brow...?

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's fine, although it's exactly what I thought it would be and it didn't surprise me with any aspect at all.
It just feels generic. It's fun, but nothing special, at least what's in the demo.
The writing could be a redeeming quality for some, but it's not for me.

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I am so glad I didn't pull the trigger on this before trying the demo. Mechanically it's a borefest and the writing.. the writing!

The gameplay is like when you let an AI watch BotW and it copies it based on visual experience alone.

People don't like the dialogue?

I find it unironically really funny. Am I low brow...?
this is bait (i want to answer yes, this is daytimes kids tv type writing)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Wow this was really really boring. I had low expectations and I was disappointed, I was hoping at least flying around would be fun, but the stamina bar kills any fun to be had. Combat was pretty awful too.

Mixing this then with Ubi-bloat and lame kids show humour... no thanks. So glad I didn't wishlist this for Christmas.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope more people will try it out. It really is one of my favourite games of last year as I loved exploring the world, the combat and found the characters to be quite charming. Also it is stunning to look at.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I was bored at the cutscene and the gameplay, but I will give it a try some day, seams like a game that can grow on me.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that bothers me the most is the stupid cursor thing in the menus. Ubisoft stop with this shit already. Enough. Nobody likes this kind of menus ffs

YOUarcade

Oct 27, 2017
California
I put in about 45 hours so far and am just starting the DLC. This is my favorite open world game of the last year.

Like someone already said, stylistically and tonally, it fits the PS2/GC era with today's tech and mechanics. It does has a lot of things on the map, but it's the first Ubi open world game in recent memory where the map is easy to ready. It's never overwhelming and it's hard to put down because there's always something else to go do.

Puzzles are challenging, but not annoyingly difficult. Combat is deeper than I expected, and while a lot of people aren't too into the dialogue and writing, I actually think it's pretty good, especially later in the game. My first impressions with the intro weren't too hot, but after that it just clicked and everything works.

If you're somewhat interested, please pickup the game, especially since it's been half off lately. Ubisoft decided to dump this game right after AC and WD for who knows why, so I'm sure the sales weren't too hot. I REALLY want to see a sequel, so help me out lol.

P.S. IT IS PRETTY

Oct 25, 2017
Such a surprisingly fun game. I bought it mostly blind, and am really loving it. It's shamelessly inspired by BotW, but with enjoyable combat (and being shamelessly inspired by BotW is not a negative, people. it's how genres and game systems grow and evolve). The environments are gorgeous, and the enemy designs are fun. Not a huge fan of the look of the human characters, but they also aren't hideous or anything. The humor can be hit or miss, but, to be honest, after playing such heavy games like TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima last year, I really appreciated the light hearted tone of Fenyx, and a few of the humorous bits actually made me laugh and chuckle.

I think it's a good game for kids to play and keep them occupied for a while, as well as kids at heart. I was pleasantly surprised by this, and glad I took a chance on it, after watching a gameplay video and thought it looked really fun (also didn't hurt that I really wanted something else to play on my PS5 lol). I got sidetracked by other games, but I plan on diving back into it again once I clear at least one more title from the backlog. The game is big, with a lot of open world busy work, but it's fun to roam around and fight, and solve puzzles and upgrade my character.

It's just this really chill, non-high stakes type of gaming experience that I needed after such a tumultuous 2020.

I couldn't agree more on all accounts.

Jay-T

Oct 28, 2017
Played the demo twice, yeah this is a fun game.

Not sure if I'll buy and play it now or wait until I have a next gen console to play it in 60fps.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Tried the demo yesterday. To my surprise, I actually liked the humor? Mechanically, I fear the game might get a little repetitive after a few hours, but I had fun with the demo and might grab this on sale.

As a gamer who has many reservations about BOTW gameplay, I like how this game doesn't seem to hold you back when you're trying to get from point A to point B: you can run, fly, swim and climb a lot before your stamina is gone, while in BOTW you're worried about your stamina gauge as soon as you start doing any of those things.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
I am so glad I didn't pull the trigger on this before trying the demo. Mechanically it's a borefest and the writing.. the writing!

The gameplay is like when you let an AI watch BotW and it copies it based on visual experience alone.

this is bait (i want to answer yes, this is daytimes kids tv type writing)
Well I'm sure whatever game your patronising ass considers amusing has great writing, but hey.

In an age where games are consistently SERIOUS BUSINESS, I'm glad of a little levity.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the demo, didn't liked the art style and hated the level design, the writing didn't bother me, I liked the levity and how didn't try to be serious, the combat was interesting at least, but I can't see myself spending hours with this game, I will pass.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Different tastes and all that. I hated it and I just wanted everyone to shut the hell up during the game (really an issue in a lot of games), but for others it worked.
Yeah true. I mean I can see why it wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea, it's hardly award winning stuff, I just found it pretty enjoyable.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game. Honestly it is the perfect sized open world for me. I'm glad they put out a demo because I am sure people will play it an be very surprised.

Oct 30, 2017
I was downloading the demo and saw that the game was discounted 98%.

8r8eusj.png

Seems to be an error in their currency conversion? Since when I add it to cart just shows the full price

Would have been cool. Or is there a promo I'm missing?

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow this was really really boring. I had low expectations and I was disappointed, I was hoping at least flying around would be fun, but the stamina bar kills any fun to be had. Combat was pretty awful too.

Mixing this then with Ubi-bloat and lame kids show humour... no thanks. So glad I didn't wishlist this for Christmas.

is a really amateour combination of dark souls and breath of the wild.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
Loved it. Was already on my wishlist waiting for a price drop.

The combat felt good and the setting and vibe is great. We need more less serious games

Fun game..haven't beaten it yet but I will eventually. It's great for when I just want to play a lighter game and has some pretty fun puzzles. Actually the puzzles surprised me the most. If you enjoyed the demo just a little bit the main game is better, especially the puzzles.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm liking this demo.

Unfortunately, I have resolved not to buy Ubisoft games and I'm not really liking it quite enough to go through the hassle of importing a used copy.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The game is 30 dollars on Xbox and PS right now at Amazon, btw. I'll buy it whenever it hits that price digitally since I own the digital PS5.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Had almost no interest in this, but the demo may have sold me. Fun world, good combat. The tongue in cheek, ham-fisted writing/story I could without, but oh well.

Oct 25, 2017
I've played about 20 hours of the main game, and the demo dialogue feels like a weird outlier. Yes, it definitely hews closer to Big Bang Theory than [Insert favorite comedy show here] in terms of comedy, but the main game goes long stretches where it's just you and the world. The demo is VERY talkative by comparison.

For me, it's a fun way to brush up on Greek mythology. The jokes don't always land, but I definitely prefer this attitude over a grim-dark interpretation of Greek myths...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Second PS5 demo after Balan. Keep them coming.

Does it have all latest updates with DualSense support that came recently for the main game?

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida
Does it have microtransactions? I haven't played the last few Ubisoft games (I'm looking at you Odyssey!) due to a principle I have regarding the practice of microtransactions in a full priced game.

Edit: Nevermind, it does. I'll just buy it preowned when it's sub $15 later this year

Last edited:

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else I love the narration. Zeus and Prometheus have a fun dynamic that had me smiling at their banter. It is going to take me some time to get used to the controls, I kept pressing the wrong buttons during combat. The exploration is nice.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I have been having an absolute blast with this game. It's like action/adventure comfort food. A less stressful, simplified BotW. The writing is hit and miss, but the inside baseball Greek mythology jokes are great.

Also the free-roaming 'tackle anything whenever' structure seems to work really well. It's fun to overcome difficulty challenges by fighting enemies you clearly aren' t supposed to at a low level.

It is a very pleasant surprise for me. Don't believe the hate.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
A tip for those that enjoy exploration and discovery - when the game tasks you with using far sight to reveal and tag all of the surrounding activities/puzzles/treasures, DON'T.

Just through normal traversal and making your way to story objectives you will be finding things to do and locations to investigate constantly. Save the far sight tagging for when you feel like you've largely cleared out an area and want to find the last few things you're missing.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Played it last night on Switch. The cursor on the menu was kind of annoying until I got used to it, it's fine but it shouldn't be the only alternative. The combat is interesting although the evasion move seems like it takes you a bit too far from your initial position the blocking is okay I guess, the controls overall are fine and got used to them quickly the world looks interesting but a bit sparse at least the part available in the demo, performances seemed fine for the most part. The humor is okay, the game doesn't take itself seriously and that's fine, it's nothing amazing but it made me chuckle a couple times. I may consider it if it goes on sale again in my region.