• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting that Gamepass eats into Xbox sales.
I always suspected it would happen.
Will only get worse. I guess Sony will have a pretty easy time securing 3rd party exclusives. We'll see.
Wouldn't that have the opposite effect, in that Microsoft will invest further in third party games BECAUSE Gamepass is so successful? Clearly it makes money, to the point where it's eating into traditional sales doesn't seem to be a bother. For a title like Immortals, getting on Gamepass would be a huge boon as it increases the chances of being played just because it is on the catalogue.

Anecdotal to me, but I am playing it however through Ubisoft+ like I am Assassin's and Watch Dogs. Granted juggling those three behemoth open-world games is a struggle, I have enjoyed the very brief interaction with it. Loving the God humour, that is a huge boon to the Zelda formula.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It probably didn't help that the advert only mentioned Stadia. I had to check to see if the game had the same release date on consoles as its mentioned nowhere in their own ad

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Of course it will, because it won't be on GP day one. Maybe 1 year or 2 after

Hm...

Phil Spencer : Gears 5 sold better than Gears 4

Yeah and Immortals Fenyx Rising isnt on gamepass either, games will sell less if they release day 1 on gamepass, no doubt about it, but the first poster I replied to believed gamepass canibalizes sales of all games and that it is only going to get worse, ofc I dont think that is true and you dont seem to either.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Perhaps they should of released this as a Switch exclusive, make no mention of other versions. It would of benefitted by default being the single big fall game for Switch.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Pretty sure everyone is waiting for a discount. Ubisoft games get big discounts in just couple of months whether it was a day 1 success or not. Especially a new IP like Immortals.
Yup, that's me. I know Ubi games have a habit of dropping in price quickly. Probably will happen really quickly judging by these numbers.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible name for this game, and why release this so shortly after Watch Dogs: Legion and AC Valhalla and right before Cyberpunk? Like how can a pub/developer see this and expect strong sales lol?

Would have been better off releasing a month or two after Cyberpunk when there would be more of a lull.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seeing more sold on PS5 is pretty surprising since it's only been available for a few weeks and has a tiny userbase compared to switch and PS4. It seems like a bomba though. And after those trailers is hardly surprising. Should be nice and cheap soon enough.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't that have the opposite effect, in that Microsoft will invest further in third party games BECAUSE Gamepass is so successful? Clearly it makes money, to the point where it's eating into traditional sales doesn't seem to be a bother. For a title like Immortals, getting on Gamepass would be a huge boon as it increases the chances of being played just because it is on the catalogue.

Anecdotal to me, but I am playing it however through Ubisoft+ like I am Assassin's and Watch Dogs. Granted juggling those three behemoth open-world games is a struggle, I have enjoyed the very brief interaction with it. Loving the God humour, that is a huge boon to the Zelda formula.
Well MS can't get every new release on Gamepass, they still have a budget and need to pick and chose which game to put on Gamepass. It is great for games that made it but not good for a game like Fenyx

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't particularly follow sales numbers, but my thoughts on things like this are simple: Gamers are not a monolith. What may appeal to some, may not appeal to others.

Not everyone is tripping over themselves to get AC: Valhalla, or Cyberpunk 2077. Publishers can't hold on to games indefinitely, especially as once teams wrap production on one title, they generally shift focus to the next game (unless the game has extra content coming, and even then, it won't need the manpower of the entire team to produce said extra content, so the bulk of the team moves on).

For every person that's not interested in Immortals, there is another that is. For every person interested in Cyberpunk, there is another that isn't. And so on and so forth. The combination of new hardware releasing, and a lot of rather good titles releasing on top of that (the PS5 had a particularly strong launch line up, and the improved performance in many cross gen titles has boosted sales of some older and current titles), has definitely had an effect on some gamers spending. In these instances, the legs of a title are more important than just day or week one sales. No doubt Immortals is going to get a nice price drop in time for the holidays, and it's a fun, family friendly game that will be a good stocking stuffer for parents looking for something for the kids.

I doubt it had the budget or manpower of an Assassin's Creed title, so I'm sure Ubisoft isn't particularly worried. The game is cross gen, so it will probably sell more on current gen software in the end.

And how many people rushing in to shit on the game's title, or how "derivative" it is have actually played it?

Personally, it was a game that wasn't high on my radar, but once I cleared out some of my PS4/PS5 backlog titles, I caved and bought it using some PSN credit I had. It's actually quite an enjoyable game. It most certainly wears its Breath of the Wild inspirations on its sleeves, but it also has its own style and tone that's very different. It's just a really fun game, to be honest. For anyone looking for something light hearted and that doesn't take itself seriously, especially after a very stressful 2020, as well as a series of hugely serious and emotionally taxing titles (ie, The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, and more M-rated fare like AC: Valhalla and Watchdogs: Legion), a game like this is perfect antithesis. Those not wanting to pay full price for it will wait for discounts, but I don't think it's a game that needs to sell 10 million copies to be profitable for Ubisoft, and I don't expect they imagine it would anyway.

But again, not all gamers are a monolith, and just because Cyberpunk is coming out this week doesn't mean every gamer is dropping everything to get it.

If every gamer liked the same games, well, more games would be selling in stupid crazy numbers. There's literally over 200+ million gamers out there, across multiple platforms, and it's clear we aren't all buying the same things, at the same time, or at all. There's definitely overlap from some gamers, but different strokes for different folks and all that.

For me, personally, I passed on AC: Valhalla, but bought Watchdogs: Legion (it was another title I got at discount, along with Immortals, though I have yet to play much Legion). I'm not particularly interested in the Viking setting of Valhalla, and I'm also still playing through Odyssey, so I don't think I'll get Valhalla anytime soon, if ever. I also got Cyberpunk 2077 (also discounted thanks to PSN credit I had just sitting there unused). I had room in my budget for a few extra games after the PS5 launch, and I chose those 3 (Legion, Immortals, Cyberpunk). Other gamers will have a different list of titles to snag leading into the holiday season. So far this year, there have only been a handful of titles I've played full price for, as I've either gotten them on discount, or used up accrued gift card credits for them.

I definitely recommend Immortals if you enjoyed Breath of the Wild, like Greek mythology, or just need something light hearted and silly to play going into the holidays. I know I did, so it's been a nice breath of fresh air (along with Astro's Playroom and Sackboy). I'm genuinely impressed by how much fun I'm having with this game. I think it'll surprise the people that aren't offended that it dared to tread the same ground as Breath of the Wild. 🙄🙄