• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.imdb.com/freedive/

Memento, Last Samurai, Drive, Big Fish, Last Action Hero and a bunch more. TV shows include Fringe, Quantum Leap, Heroes, actually their TV selection isn't as good as the movies. But it's all free and ad supported apparently.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Wow that's weird, a new service that isn't available in Canada!

Never saw that before

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wow that's weird, a new service that isn't available in Canada!

Never saw that before

MildInexperiencedGrebe-size_restricted.gif

good for them. hopefully hits canada. hopefully it stays free

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, IMDB has Fringe?

Isn't IMDB owned by Amazon?

Why the fuck is Fringe not on Amazon Prime?

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
*Free on IMDb and Fire TV devices.
Seems pointless if you want to watch it on something other than a computer or Firetv device.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I don't trust it. IMDb is clickbait 2nd only to weather.com. I use wikipedia for TV and movies info, and rotten tomatoes for box office.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Says in terms that logging in is just a bonus and you don't have to do it....but you can't play a stream without logging in with something....

Did I miss something or do you just have to connect an account to this to get it to work?

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Memento <3

So this is like the new go90? That's where Fringe used to be free as well.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Put out a PS4 app and I'll check it out.

VUDU, owned by Walmart, has a nice chunk of free movies available.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
That's an odd initiative.

At first blush, my thought was that it wouldn't make financial sense to operate a streaming-video-service carried by a site that's mostly about drab, technical categorization of details pertaining to movie-making-trivia (and, apparently, a message board system that infamously attracts very opinionated loons).

Unbeknownst to me, Amazon.com now owns Imdb, which makes even less sense. Amazon seems to have made pretty good inroads to being a legitimate Netflix/Hulu-contender with their own productions, so why diffuse that concept by making people think of Imdb.com as an even-footed contender to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon-streaming, when you own the site?

I have to assume that this initiative is due to messy, complex broadcasting-rights that pertains to the films and tv-shows this new service is showing, and that Amazon itself can't stream under their own name (for whatever complex legal reason).

Either that, or they are soft-testing a subscription-free, ad-supported model, fueled by shows and films that Amazon can legally provide, but in the event that it crashes and burns, the initiative won't tarnish Amazon's main streaming service, because it's attached by name to a much lesser (but still credible) brand like Imdb.com.

Now that I've walked it through as I write it down, I suspect it's about the latter.

Netflix is the biggest player in monthly-subscription, streaming video-services, so if you (as a rival) is trying to formulate a strategy to gain back those eyeballs, the obvious idea is to try to try to disrupt the core idea of Netflix ("pay a low monthly price for a world of content!).

Obviously, people like Netflix for a variety of reasons, but I think a reasonably priced, ad-free, experience is pretty high up there in terms of people's priorities. But that doesn't mean that you couldn't still manage to get a sizable audience for a streaming service on the "free, but ad-supported"-model.

But there's a lot of risk in doing that, and it seems like this is Amazon's attempt at testing the waters by reshaping the identity of an established - and fairly trusted - brand that they own, backed by the sizable catalogue that Amazon owns.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
How does this have Fringe streaming and nowhere else does? I just bought a series bundle last week because of that

Oct 25, 2017
That's an odd initiative.

At first blush, my thought was that it wouldn't make financial sense to operate a streaming-video-service carried by a site that's mostly about drab, technical categorization of details pertaining to movie-making-trivia (and, apparently, a message board system that infamously attracts very opinionated loons).

Unbeknownst to me, Amazon.com now owns Imdb, which makes even less sense. Amazon seems to have made pretty good inroads to being a legitimate Netflix/Hulu-contender with their own productions, so why diffuse that concept by making people think of Imdb.com as an even-footed contender to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon-streaming, when you own the site?

I have to assume that this initiative is due to messy, complex broadcasting-rights that pertains to the films and tv-shows this new service is showing, and that Amazon itself can't stream under their own name (for whatever complex legal reason).

Either that, or they are soft-testing a subscription-free, ad-supported model, fueled by shows and films that Amazon can legally provide, but in the event that it crashes and burns, the initiative won't tarnish Amazon's main streaming service, because it's attached by name to a much lesser (but still credible) brand like Imdb.com.

Now that I've walked it through as I write it down, I suspect it's about the latter.

Netflix is the biggest player in monthly-subscription, streaming video-services, so if you (as a rival) is trying to formulate a strategy to gain back those eyeballs, the obvious idea is to try to try to disrupt the core idea of Netflix ("pay a low monthly price for a world of content!).

Obviously, people like Netflix for a variety of reasons, but I think a reasonably priced, ad-free, experience is pretty high up there in terms of people's priorities. But that doesn't mean that you couldn't still manage to get a sizable audience for a streaming service on the "free, but ad-supported"-model.

But there's a lot of risk in doing that, and it seems like this is Amazon's attempt at testing the waters by reshaping the identity of an established - and fairly trusted - brand that they own, backed by the sizable catalogue that Amazon owns.

Amazon is just spreading their ad network and engaging more viewers. What's hard to get about this?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm subscribed to pretty much all the free movie services because why not. Tubi, Vudu, Crackle, Kanopy, Hoopla. You got a really fantastic and diverse library of films there for free. Kanopy has almost A24's entire library for example

So I'll definitely sign up for this one

Status
Not open for further replies.