• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Starting out the gate, if this doesn't sound cool to you, the option to turn it off is there. So don't be that guy.

I really enjoyed the HD Rumble in Mario Odyssey and I just want to play more games that feel like that for a whole lengthy campaign. Imagining if BotW was built from the ground up on Switch with HD rumble in mind, all the different ways it could've been implemented.

Aiming the arrow would've felt great (something like how tank Mario aiming felt, but more dialed back).
Headshots could've given a more specific vibrate.
Ancient arrows could've gotten their own vibrate.
Would've been nice for shrines. Occasional soft vibrate when you're nearing one. Harsher more frequent when you're really close.
Vibrate when you deflect with your shield.
Maybe a vibrate cue on when to dodge, though that arguably would've been broken.

The rumble on there is pretty good, most effective during cut scenes for me, but knowing that that technology is there does make me want a little more. Was always hopeful for a patch, but ... why at this point.

Either way, I expect it to play BIG in the next 3D Zelda.

Also, is there another Switch game that does HD Rumble anywhere near as well and varied as Mario Odyssey?

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Time for a Stone of Agony HD DLC expansion

latest

I'm a little surprised Nintendo never patched in this functionality. Seems like a pretty simple addition for your console's premier title

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I feel like HD rumble isn't used or won't be used in many games sadly, seems like a cool feature

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The port was done in less than a year so the dev team probably couldn't take advantage of all the features they wanted to and couldn't get the resources to patch it in after the fact.

Link's Awakening and any future Zelda game will probably have it though.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Other games that really could benefit from it:

Any game where you can equip different items in each hand. I'm thinking specifically of Skyrim, BioShock, and Dark Souls.

Unfortunately most third-party publishers don't really implement it in a fun way, and just use the annoying full vibration mode. I had to actually turn it off in Dark Souls.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
HD Rumble is amazing in the games that take the time to properly implement it, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Smash Bros Ultimate, etc.

It would be appreciated if Nintendo updated BotW with it at some point. :-)

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I always disable rumble. It gets quickly annoying.
Same with me, it's just too loud in 99% of the games I play in Switch.

I've only enjoyed HD rumble with one Switch game: Golf Story.
It really nailed the feel (and sound) of the ball hitting different materials (wood, ground, the hole, etc).

Mario Kart 8 was OK, but only with the joycons in the dock, attached to the system they don't really feel or sound like anything special.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao I turned that shit off in botw. Rumble doesn't do anything for me except annoy me and waste battery life. Advance and build on it all you want, devs. Just make sure there's an option to turn it off.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some games use HD Rumble terribly.

Play DKC:TF. Every jump with DK literally rattles the inside of the Joy-Con. I have to turn it off since I'm that convinced it'll damage the controllers. Dark Souls is also a big offender for this.

Other games use it so well though, like Smash.

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
Even cooler would have been actually using the wiiu gamepad, I'm convinced the menus and inventory where designed with it in mind and the feature was later removed to achieve parity with the switch version.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I totally forgot Switch had a touch screen..

EXACTLY! Because so many games just ignore it. Sure, It's understandable why ports from last gen don't have touchscreen, but games that are Switch exclusive not having touch screen is mind blowing.

I'm not asking for full blown touch screen stuff like Vita games, I just want standard menu stuff. Anything really.