• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At the time, it might've been the biggest comic book movie ever made. Too bad cinematic universes weren't a thing back then.

Michael Keaton's Batman and Christopher Reece's Superman going up against Jack Nicholson's Joker and Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor.

Basically World's Finest but live-action.

Maybe there's a parallel universe out there where it did happen?

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
AXVi13T.jpg

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Cant be done beyond '95 (Reeve's accident). Superman is also suppose to be dead in the comics for the better part of 1993, i think.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've read about Christopher Reeves, he probably would've tried to control the entire thing since it has been argued that his ego is what led to the last couple of Superman movies being awful.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
It probably did happen off screen; Schumacher's movies established that Superman existed in that universe with Keaton. Not sure if they intended for it to necessarily be Reeve's Superman, but that still left the door open.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
It probably did happen off screen; Schumacher's movies established that Superman existed in that universe with Keaton. Not sure if they intended for it to necessarily be Reeve's Superman, but that still left the door open.
IIRC Batman Returns actually implied that Superman existed in that universe too.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
It's an interesting idea, for sure, but I just have a hard time imagining the aesthetics and sensibilities of those two franchises working together in a shared world.

But then I'm one of those weirdos who believes Burton's Batman is not "really Batman" anyway.
Did it establish Superman? I know they name-dropped Metropolis in Forever, which made me mark out as a kid.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
It's an interesting idea, for sure, but I just have a hard time imagining the aesthetics and sensibilities of those two franchises working together in a shared world.

But then I'm one of those weirdos who believes Burton's Batman is not "really Batman" anyway.

Did it establish Superman? I know they name-dropped Metropolis in Forever, which made me mark out as a kid.
I think the first thing Clooney says in Batman & Robin is, "This is why Superman works alone." So yeah, I assume Batman and Superman were at least familiar with each other in that universe.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've read about Christopher Reeves, he probably would've tried to control the entire thing since it has been argued that his ego is what led to the last couple of Superman movies being awful.

Superman 3 was awful because the Salkinds decided to make it a Richard Pryor comedy and the script was rewritten on the fly to accommodate that.

Superman 4 was produced by the Cannon film group that was trying to grow from B movies into big budget fare in the mid-80's and was dropping tons of money into failing movies in 1985/1986 including paying Stallone $12 million dollars to appear in the arm wrestling movie Over the Top and dumping a bunch of money into the woeful Masters of the Universe movie. Superman 4 started filming with a script, scenes storyboarded out and planned for a $36 million budget for a 2 hour and 10 minute movie. However, Cannon group both went into bankruptcy and were under SEC investigation so the budget was cut to less than half down to $17 million DURING production requiring whole scenes to be cut after others were filmed, complete rewrites to use what had been filmed without the context of any of the scenes that were cut and almost no money to actually complete effects shots which now were done on the cheap or not at all. So you ended up with a chopped together movie that was 87 minutes long, made no sense, and where almost everything looked like crap.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I kind of hate that they're going to make them separate universes in their new multiverse with Keaton's Batman's Superman is Supergirl. I have no issues with her, she looks fantastic, but I was kind of hoping that either she was Reeves' daughter or maybe from a seperate universe so the classic Batman and Superman existed in the same world in continuity. Would have been great if she the Christopher Reeve's daughter so it was kind of fitting to have Keaton Batman being her mentor.

Dec 30, 2020
Superman 3 was awful because the Salkinds decided to make it a Richard Pryor comedy and the script was rewritten on the fly to accommodate that.

Superman 4 was produced by the Cannon film group that was trying to grow from B movies into big budget fare in the mid-80's and was dropping tons of money into failing movies in 1985/1986 including paying Stallone $12 million dollars to appear in the arm wrestling movie Over the Top and dumping a bunch of money into the woeful Masters of the Universe movie. Superman 4 started filming with a script, scenes storyboarded out and planned for a $36 million budget for a 2 hour and 10 minute movie. However, Cannon group both went into bankruptcy and were under SEC investigation so the budget was cut to less than half down to $17 million DURING production requiring whole scenes to be cut after others were filmed, complete rewrites to use what had been filmed without the context of any of the scenes that were cut and almost no money to actually complete effects shots which now were done on the cheap or not at all. So you ended up with a chopped together movie that was 87 minutes long, made no sense, and where almost everything looked like crap.
I'm obsessed with the idea that in Superman 3, Supes finds the giant computer that's transforming people, says, "this is Brainiac?!" and then from behind him we hear, "No Kal-El." And Richard Pryor, with no emotion on his face, tosses off his hair to reveal the Braniac symbol, and reveals himself as the villain.

Similarly for Superman 4, I'd have had the two Superman clones (there was a doofed up clone in a deleted series of scenes) be Bizarro and Ultraman, with Bizarro being innocent and Ultra being tyrannical, and have the whole thing focussed on Supes trying to decide how much influence he truly wanted to have on mankind.