• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think people have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the relationship between Bungie and Activision was. lol

Companies like Blizzard and BioWare are owned and operated by Activision and EA respectively (Activision-Blizzard is more of a merger, but Activision still holds the cards).

Bungie was never owned. They just had an agreement to make a game for Activision with an IP that they retained ownership of from the beginning. And they managed to exit that agreement. That's all that happened.

ResoRai

Nov 4, 2017
Speaking as someone who played Inquisition and Andromeda, I'm personally not convinced that Bioware still has the talent for that prospect to be worth get excited about.
I don't know about Inquisition, but Andromeda was made by B team. A team is on Anthem, and seeing the polish of that game really makes me want another Mass Effect by them.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Bungie is indepedant since 2007, Activision never owned the studio, only the Destiny IP, until a few days ago.

BioWare is owned by Electronic Arts, so they simply cannot do the same thing.

AFAIK Activision never owned the IP, I'm fairly certain that IP ownership was a massive deal in Bungie's search for a new publisher.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For a forum made of up mostly 30+ year olds the business intelligence (even when dealing with simple concepts like the difference between the BioWare/EA relationship and the Bungie/ATVI relationship) of your average ResetEra user is startlingly low.

OK, new take, BioWare is BOUGHT off of EA by a fan.

tenor.gif

Fawk Nin

Nov 6, 2017
I think people sometimes undervalue what publishers actually bring to the table. Apart from the budget for the game (which would drop considerably without EA), there comes a form of project management that developers aren't always great at. I think gamers thinking that "if all developers just left their publisher then everything would be great" is a bit short sighted.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I want Hudson to leave and pull a Vince Zampella. Start a new studio. Take a bunch of people with him. Old BioWare didn't need the IPs. Just creative flexibility.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think people sometimes undervalue what publishers actually bring to the table. Apart from the budget for the game (which would drop considerably without EA), there comes a form of project management that developers aren't always great at. I think gamers thinking that "if all developers just left their publisher then everything would be great" is a bit short sighted.
Not just a bit, but very short sighted.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They could pull an IO, but that would kinda depend on EA being somewhat reasonable. Between Dragon Age and Mass Effect I kinda think they would let Mass Effect go with Bioware.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish someone would make KOTOR 3, love the originals. I don't know why ea hasn't at least ported the mobile version of the first game to consoles. Seems like easy, easy money. Tho i guess the xbox versions are BC on Xbox One tho.

I doubt BioWare could do this at all, obviously, and i'm Not sure they are big enough to survive something like that even if they could, big enough financially. I'm surprised bungie even could. Must have paid a lot to get out of their deal

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I don't know about Inquisition, but Andromeda was made by B team. A team is on Anthem, and seeing the polish of that game really makes me want another Mass Effect by them.
Meh. Everything I see of Anthem makes me feel mildly sleepy.

And even if I thought Anthem looked good, it looks... I don't want to say "generic", but it looks like a game that any decent sized developer could have made. A GaaS timesink where you go on fetch quests and chip numbers out of healthbars. Whoop-de-fucking-doo.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Bungie & Bioware have the same issue, a ton of the talented devs left a long time ago, sure without EA/Acti they can probably be better, but it won't be like the old days.
Same goes for Valve, Rare & very soon Blizzard, sadly hollows of their former selves.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if this ridiculous scenario could actually happen (impossible), they would probably just still make Anthem.

That's the kind of game they want to make going forward.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
- Imagine AM2 did a bungie and take Virtua Fighter out of Sega with them
- Imagine Hideo Kojima did a bungie and take Metal Gear & Silent Hill out of Konami with him
- Imagine Sakurai did a bungie and take Smash Bros. out of Nintendo with him
- Imagine Shigeru Miyamoto did a bungie and take Mario out of Nintendo with him..

Just imagine.............
Imagine Hideaki Anno did a bungie and take Evangelion out of Gainax with him...

I still don't understand how he did that. I guess he may have somehow finagled some rights since he was a co-founder of Gainax, but wtf, it's a multi-billion dollar IP.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Only people that would have close to the level of money required would be the drs.

And a) They don't have enough
B) EA would rather kill them than lose those ips

Oh and bungie only got away from ms by giving up halo ip.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I think BioWare going bankrupt in such a scenario is more likely than delivering a Renaissance.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
People keep making comparisons that don't work. Bungie wasn't owned by Activision.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Activision never owned Bungie so it's not really comparable. In regards to them leaving Microsoft though, it was a unique situation as Bungie not only created the IP of the decade but also saved the Xbox so they had alot of clout. Bioware doesn't have that kind of clout and even their highest rated games have not had anywhere near the same impact and influence Halo had.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
The design and creative decisions that destroyed the Mass Effect franchise were driven by in house BioWare people, EA had little to nothing to do with that train wreck.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Imagine if Bioware had not farmed out Mass Effect to an untested team.

Imagine if Bioware had accepted the limitations of the Frostbite engine and made a game within its scope.

The design and creative decisions that destroyed the Mass Effect franchise were driven by in house BioWare people, EA had little to nothing to do with that train wreck.

Seriously, Bioware should own the Andromeda catastrophe.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there is enough blame to go around. On the one hand, yes, the creative decisions around ME (going back to 3 even) were dubious at best. ME3 was already plagued with issues beyond the ending, but with ME:A there was a clear lack of leadership in the creative side and a lack of strong support publisher side. Reports of understaffed teams and poor tool development abound.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Activision never owned Bungie so it's not really comparable. In regards to them leaving Microsoft though, it was a unique situation as Bungie not only created the IP of the decade but also saved the Xbox so they had alot of clout. Bioware doesn't have that kind of clout and even their highest rated games have not had anywhere near the same impact and influence Halo had.

Pretty much and the IP was a lot more critical to MS than the studio itself. They knew somebody else could take over the IP , how that turned out is a discussion for another thread but Halo as an IP still has a clout. Even if EA would let Bioware become independent the they would never give up the IPs. Also like others have pointed out the original Bioware guys have left so the motivation to split off might not be that high for the guys at the top.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop. Comparing. A. Partnership. With. An. Ownership.

Bungie was partnered with Activision.
Bioware is owned by EA.

Bungie always owned the Destiny IP because no one owned them. Bioware does not own their IP's because EA is their owner. It's not remotely the same situation.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
I think we apply a lot of misappropriated responsibility to these boogie man Publishers.

There are obviously a lot of documented situations where devs have had to do things that they otherwise wouldn't (for the good and bad of their IP). I'm not doubting that. Just don't agree with this concept that everything would be sunshine lollipops suddenly because they have more independence in some areas.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
What would be different exactly? How much influence do you think EA has in terms of the core gameplay/story//art/direction etc.
I'd say they have influence when it comes to microtransactions and loot boxes but I'd say more importantly I'd say they have influence when it comes to releasing a game that needs to stay in development another 6 months and not rushed out.