• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2nd tease with a date

Certainly in line with some of the recent rumors that a new Oculus Quest revision is coming out

Nothing official but the twitter poster has a solid track record

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Was hoping this would be even smaller, but fingers crossed it's much lighter than the first Quest. Hopefully we hear something about Series X compatibility with Oculus - that'd be the dream.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
current Oculus Quest
eu4fcPW.jpg

new(?) Oculus Quest
D7vYTaw.png

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I really wish they'd return to proper integrated audio. The headphones on the original Rift we really high quality and having instant access to decent audio really makes a difference.

I need immersive audio in VR but I don't want to use a separate headset as it increases friction which will reduce how often I use the headset.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Im ok with the quest form factor, intersted if there will be any significant upgrades in optics/performance. Rather hoping my quest isnt obsolete yet...

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I really wish they'd return to proper integrated audio. The headphones on the original Rift we really high quality and having instant access to decent audio really makes a difference.

I need immersive audio in VR but I don't want to use a separate headset as it increases friction which will reduce how often I use the headset.
What do you mean friction?

I usually use earbuds with my Quest. It's convenient and you can take the unit on and off without taking the earbuds out.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
is that twitter poster reliable ? It'd be nice to give a bit of context to understand why we should take this at face value.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
The gulf between Quest games and PS5-powered PSVR2 games will be massive though

With my Quest I have access to all the VR games that are available on my computer. PSVR library will always be extremely limited in comparison. The only "killer app" that is exclusive to PSVR for me currently is the upcoming VR update for Dreams because of the ease of access to simple dev for VR.

I really hope they step things up with PSVR on PS5, because with all the exclusive potential VR users would have an actual reason to buy PSVR in addition to their main headset.

Looks clean. Sony need to hurry up with PSVR2. Facebook is lapping them

As a Quest owner and pretty big VR user in general, I've never seen PSVR is a direct competitor to PC VR. It's not about Facebook lapping them, it's about PSVR actually offering enough content so that it's worth to buy even for big PC VR enthusiasts in addition to convincing their own player base that VR isn't a gimmick imo

PsychoRabbit

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Looks like a Lite version of Quest, there's no IPD slider and doesn't seems to be much different than the og quest. Maybe this is going to replace the (now deprecated) Oculus Go for a cheaper 6dof experience.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Past 24 hours I've been seriously considering buying one for the hell of it. Not sure if I should wait, considering there's still rumours about a revision and guesses as to what's actually new.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is that twitter poster reliable ? It'd be nice to give a bit of context to understand why we should take this at face value.
That poster leaked a couple of stuffs previously. Have a pretty much flawless track record imo. Google "walkingcat leak" and you can see bunch

most recently this
uploadvr.com

Apparent Leak: HP & Valve's New WMR Headset With Side Cams, IPD Adjust, New Controllers

Prolific Microsoft leaker WalkingCat just Tweeted what seems to be images of HP & Valve’s upcoming new WMR headset and Microsoft’s new VR controllers. “WalkingCat” has a long history of accurate Microsoft leaks, revealing some of the company’s products and services in the past. In late...

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does that new strap look even less supportive than the current one, which people already find a bit troublesome because it lets the heavy front part of the headset sag on your face/cheeks?

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE

I think a lot of games I play, I don't need/want to be immersed in audio, the built-In audio works just fine. Beat Saber, Horror games, Tetris Effect, and the like, I use the Oculus earphones that they sold separately. They're small and fit in the case accessory spot, but sometimes I just can't be bothered.

I'm still not convinced that Sony will release a PSVR2.

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
Is it just me or does that new strap look even less supportive than the current one, which people already find a bit troublesome because it lets the heavy front part of the headset sag on your face/cheeks?

Agreed. Part of what helps the current headband, is that it goes under the bump on the back of your head. This doesn't and doesn't have the extender on each side that helps get it on and off. It would have to be significantly lighter, to be more comfortable.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That's true. But on PC aren't there really good wireless streaming options for the Vive? Something like that could work maybe.

Its possible but it would increase the cost of the headset dramatically unless its some kind of accessory sold separately. Would be neat to have though.

With my Quest I have access to all the VR games that are available on my computer. PSVR library will always be extremely limited in comparison. The only "killer app" that is exclusive to PSVR for me currently is the upcoming VR update for Dreams because of the ease of access to simple dev for VR.

I really hope they step things up with PSVR on PS5, because with all the exclusive potential VR users would have an actual reason to buy PSVR in addition to their main headset.

I wasn't talking about anything even close to what you are, but ok. I was talking about the difference between Quest (being powered by what is basically a Samsung S8) compared to what a PS5 could offer being immense, so much so that wasting time offering a "standalone library" to run on whatever internals could be put in a PSVR headset would be pointless, from an ease of use perspective as well as in terms of dev resources.

Also, yeah sure PSVR is limited just like every console ever in existence and somehow those consoles (and PSVR) have done just fine. Not to mention... PSVR's only killer app being an update to Dreams that just released this morning? Come on

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
What do you mean friction?

I usually use earbuds with my Quest. It's convenient and you can take the unit on and off without taking the earbuds out.

Anything that reduces the speed and ease to jump into a VR experience is something that creates friction.

Having good quality audio built into the headset without any extra wires is one of the best parts of the original Rift and I wish it would return.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Man I hope the psvr is wireless or the next valve option is, I don't really want to support FB but I can't do wired vr anymore. It ruins the experience imo.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

You say this like he can't see games powered by PCs even more powerful than the PS5.
People like the mobility and freedom. It's like asking why some folks prefer to game on the Switch vs a more powerful console.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
You say this like he can't see games powered by PCs even more powerful than the PS5.
People like the mobility and freedom. It's like asking why some folks prefer to game on the Switch vs a more powerful console.

Sure, but he's not playing those PC games wirelessly. Of course people love mobility etc but you don't think that PS5 will offer experiences that can't be had on mobile devices, in terms of scope, immersion, gameplay possibilities? The SSD baseline for PS5 by itself will give PSVR2 games a huge advantage

I wont derail any further though

Oct 28, 2017
It would be nice if this, or any Quest was ever in stock. Every time I have checked since Christmas it has been sold out.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but he's not playing those PC games wirelessly. Of course people love mobility etc but you don't think that PS5 will offer experiences that can't be had on mobile devices, in terms of scope, immersion, gameplay possibilities? The SSD baseline for PS5 by itself will give PSVR2 games a huge advantage

I wont derail any further though

But you can play PC games wirelessly with a Quest. I do it all the time and that's just using a method that some smart people hacked together. I would assume Sony could make it work especially considering their budget. Having PSVR2 be tethered would be a bummer.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice and all but I have the computer that can run a ton of games, I just need a headset that connects wirelessly to it. I hope. One day. But I'll have to see when vr2.0 actually starts coming out.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Put two and two together... can't wait for series X

Since Oculus Link became a thing, I've been hoping that MS and Oculus would team up to put Oculus support on Series X and have Oculus port their exclusives (and allow VR third parties to port to Series X at their discretion). That would be a pretty big deal and it's something I'd definitely utilize.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Since Oculus Link became a thing, I've been hoping that MS and Oculus would team up to put Oculus support on Series X and have Oculus port their exclusives (and allow VR third parties to port to Series X at their discretion). That would be a pretty big deal and it's something I'd definitely utilize.

It's got a hell of a GPU in there... would make a lot of sense to power VR with it.

but does Series X have the right ports for it? USB c?

Very reliable for everything Microsoft related so I'm wondering why they are leaking this.

don't you do this to me!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's a halo-ish headband which makes this a worthy upgrade in and of itself. I hope this is a bit far off, though. Not a chance that I'm throwing another $300-500 down on another HMD when I have the Series X and PS5 to pony up for later this year.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
That's true. But on PC aren't there really good wireless streaming options for the Vive? Something like that could work maybe.
From my use of the Quest, a good 5ghz Wifi network streams games just fine without much perceptible latency. I don't think having a wireless option for the PSVR2 is too crazy, and I really hope they do it.

Though what would REALLY be great is if the PS5 ends up supporting 3rd party VR headsets like the Quest, I know unlikely, but a man can dream.

Nice and all but I have the computer that can run a ton of games, I just need a headset that connects wirelessly to it. I hope. One day. But I'll have to see when vr2.0 actually starts coming out.

You can use the current Quest wirelessly with a PC, its how I played HL:Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I think they will but it won't be for a few years. I think that's your mid-gen expensive peripheral launch rather than asking for another $300 or whatever immediately after everyone's dropped ~$500 on a new console.

Yeah, they should focus on expanding the userbase by pushing the price down as far as they can, then hit with an updated headset with new features focused on the living room experience.

Because they can't compete with the Quest as it stands, I've only heard positive things. Makes me tempted for the mobility but not like I'd have anywhere to take advantage in a flat!