• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After an absence of 20 years, System Shock's future is looking fairly bright. Last year System Shock 1's Enchanced Edition received an official source port that greatly enhanced compatibility and playability for modern PCs, we're getting a remake of the original System Shock, and we're even getting an official sequel in System Shock 3!

...However, I am worried about it. Otherside Entertainment, the developers behind it, have a lot of the same core developers who were involved with the original titles. However, their first title, Underworld Ascendant, was another attempt to revive an old classic of theirs. The results, were... Well I can't say so with my own experience since I didn't play it, but it was received terribly. Extremely buggy and largely devoid of the charm of Ultima Underworld, it seems that Otherside may have more trouble adapting to modern sensibilities than they had prepared for. System Shock 3 received some teasers earlier this year, and SHODAN, well, she now moves. I guess it is more modern in doing so, but it also removes some of the eeriness of the original, static machine that we previously had. I just hope that the game turns out well since I want cyberpunk to do well in the gaming sphere.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with only limited experience with the System Shock franchise, it looks like it's trying a bit too hard to gravitate towards old school design elements (in the level design, in particular) that may not translate too well into a more modern game. It's just my impression so far, however. It's as if the new Wolfenstein games had the bells and whistles that the new episodes are known for, except it all happens in square rooms and flat corridors like in Wolf3D. That's the kind of feeling I'm getting here from what we saw.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone with only limited experience with the System Shock franchise, it looks like it's trying a bit too hard to gravitate towards old school design elements (in the level design, in particular) that may not translate too well into a more modern game. It's just my impression so far, however. It's as if the new Wolfenstein games had the bells and whistles that the new episodes are known for, except it all happens in square rooms and flat corridors like in Wolf3D. That's the kind of feeling I'm getting here from what we saw.
I guess it was a bit to be expected after all the criticisms of modern game design, but the fact of the matter is that modern game design exists for a reason, people's sensibilities have changed. They need to find out how to keep the atmosphere of System Shock while trying to have a modern experience. Besides, as stated in the OP if you want the original experience you can play the Enhanced Edition of 1 or even wait for the remake of 1, System Shock 3 should be its own thing.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it was a bit to be expected after all the criticisms of modern game design, but the fact of the matter is that modern game design exists for a reason, people's sensibilities have changed. They need to find out how to keep the atmosphere of System Shock while trying to have a modern experience. Besides, as stated in the OP if you want the original experience you can play the Enhanced Edition of 1 or even wait for the remake of 1, System Shock 3 should be its own thing.

That is an issue that seems to hamper nearly all first person games from the era at one point. It took id over 20 years to deliver a proper Doom sequel that captured many of the original game's strengths without plagiarizing it or staying too far behind with the game design. Duke Nukem Forever wanted to mock the modern game design and the old one alike, but then it ended up more linear and limited than a Call Of Duty game in many ways, ironically enough. They should probably look at Bioshock and Prey as for how to deliver a more modern experience with the core concepts of System Shock instead of trying to create what may feel like a never released game from the end of the 90's. DUSK works because it takes cues from the classics but it also adds a lot of modern elements and innovations that keep the game more fresh. First person games are probably not the best genre for purely nostalgic experiences, as opposed to 2D games or fighting games where sticking to the past is still definitely viable.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That is an issue that seems to hamper nearly all first person games from the era at one point. It took id over 20 years to deliver a proper Doom sequel that captured many of the original game's strengths without plagiarizing it or staying too far behind with the game design. Duke Nukem Forever wanted to mock the modern game design and the old one alike, but then it ended up more linear and limited than a Call Of Duty game in many ways, ironically enough. They should probably look at Bioshock and Prey as for how to deliver a more modern experience with the core concepts of System Shock instead of trying to create what may feel like a never released game from the end of the 90's. DUSK works because it takes cues from the classics but it also adds a lot of modern elements and innovations that keep the game more fresh. First person games are probably not the best genre for purely nostalgic experiences, as opposed to 2D games or fighting games where sticking to the past is still definitely viable.
Well, Duke Nukem Forever makes sense as it was essentially a 1997 game trapped in a 2011 game's body XD. I still love going back to and playing older games, but that's the thing, the older games still exist. Newer games should be their own thing. Dusk works, but the thing about Dusk is that it was its own new IP, it didn't have over 20 years of anticipation built up for it.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Duke Nukem Forever makes sense as it was essentially a 1997 game trapped in a 2011 game's body XD. I still love going back to and playing older games, but that's the thing, the older games still exist. Newer games should be their own thing. Dusk works, but the thing about Dusk is that it was its own new IP, it didn't have over 20 years of anticipation built up for it.

In many ways it's great to see sequels like SS3 happening, but at the same time when it's basically old school game design it feels somewhat redundant. Been thinking about how it's a bit of a shame that we keep getting remakes like Crash, Spyro, CTR, Warcraft 3, Starcraft or Age Of Empires, but these franchises (except for the last one) don't seem to be getting an actual new game anytime soon. But if a new game has to be basically like the old ones in terms of design, may as well remaster the old one and adding new levels to it (plus mod tools) and call it a day.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
This have been discussed in Otherside Discord but I will leave it here. SS3 is being developed by a different team inside Otherside independently from the Underworld team and is been stated that progress is going good. Regarding Underworld development at least they have shown to actually care with constant updates that have improved dramatically the state of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever a new developer attempts to revive a classic revered series that has been dormant for many years you should be worried, at the very least until you see gameplay, probably until the reviews hit. It's only logical.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I think Prey is probably the best modern translation of what System Shock and its ilk were all about, the next one down being BioShock 1 in terms of level design. Doom and Wolfenstein New Order are great examples -- they manage to combine the positive aspects of older FPSs with what has actually improved the genre more recently.

To me, DNF felt like a game that would've been cool had it been released in that final state around 2004, graphics and all. I actually found some of its storytelling devices pretty neat in the context of 2011 shooters.

The thing about those older games is though, I've been playing a lot of them for the first time in recent years, and for me at least they still hold up in just about every aspect except graphics and controls. I feel like those old immersive sims would make great modern games if they simply got reskins in the nature of Halo Anniversary or PS4 Shadow of the Colossus.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
And I am worried about the System Shock remake. The franchise may not have aged gracefully, SS 1 is unplayble now, but they were gold back in the day.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Living up to the legacy and legend of the first two System Shock games is damned impossible.

Hell Dead Space 1 came so close to capturing the spirit that you have to outdo it as well at this point.

I do not envy their task.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
There were rumblings about a lot of senior staff leaving for a few months now (not sure how big their team is, but losing 6 seniors/ leads across 3 months is worrisome for any team).

Seems they never found that publisher they needed to finance development (I am sure Underworld did not help there).

On a side note- holy shit that RPG Codex thread is bad, what an awful community.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah writing seemed on the wall a couple months back when a bunch were leaving/getting laid off. Unfortunate, but not surprising given what has happened with the company and the genre since the original announcement.

Jun 13, 2018
it's too bad. but the whole project always seemed like a questionable prospect after the state of underworld ascendant.

the system shock 1 remaster however is looking brilliant again, the recent demo showed excellent progress.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know this is a necro bump, but OP should be worried if the game is made at all...

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing is there were two completely different teams behind UWA and SS3, so I was not worried. Maybe except that a new studio with no cred started off with two new ambitious games in two new locations, which was too good to be true.