• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
What's weird is that people old enough to love Weezer should have gone through a deep dive into The Pixies as a major influence of countless popular bands in the 90s.

I mean, Kurt Cobain openly stated that Smells Like Teen Sprit was his attempt at a Pixies ripoff.

Chi-Guy

Alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2019
We saw them in Madison on the 31st. The Pixies were the Pixies. I'm not a fan but they played their music well

The Outsider

Oct 26, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
They tour together a lot it seems, this tour was going on last year

I saw the Pixies headline in Philly like a month back tho and holy shit it was like 2 hours straight of just song song song song song

TIL I went to the same Pixies show as BronsonLee. Great show, definitely seems like a better way to see the Pixies. The Fillmore is a great venue too, I'm guessing the Weezer shows are at bigger amphitheater/stadium type settings, which are hit or miss for me.

Now that I think about it though, the opener for Pixies (Palm, I want to say) got a very tepid response at that Philly show.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
TIL I went to the same Pixies show as BronsonLee. Great show, definitely seems like a better way to see the Pixies. The Fillmore is a great venue too, I'm guessing the Weezer shows are at bigger amphitheater/stadium type settings, which are hit or miss for me.

Now that I think about it though, the opener for Pixies (Palm, I want to say) got a very tepid response at that Philly show.

THAT'S CAUSE THEY SUCKED ASS

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you expect the crowd to be hyped just for the band that played the Fight Club theme song?

Oct 28, 2017
I had this experience when Foxing opened up for Coheed and Cambria a couple of months ago. I cheered them after each song, and people around me told me to calm down because they wanted to talk during the set.

ChimpBottle

Apr 6, 2018
Shit, I'm seeing them in a couple days and now I'm nervous. I don't want to see one of my favorite bands in a reduced form like that.

Are they really "opening for Weezer"? The way the concert in Vancouver is marketed here, they're double headlining. Hopefully that means they'll get a better reception here.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the Pixies headline the first night of Austin City Limits many years ago. Kim was there. They were sublime.

I love Weezer's first two albums but there's no justice in a world where they're the main attraction over the Pixies.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
The Pixies...they cover that Weezer song "Where is My Mind," right?🤡

That song is on a really old movie called Fight Club.

OP
OP
Rag

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
You bring your car to work, I'll bring my board.

Shit doesn't get better than that. It's a pretty fun show.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Pixies haven't had a hit in decades, so I can't really blame people for not being familiar with them.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Really too bad. Trompe le Monde is one of favorite albums to listen to start to finish. They deserve better, but honestly I'm not sure I expect huge Weezer fans to have a lot of taste anyway. And I say that as someone who does like Weezer (well mostly only particular albums, especially the first two.)

Satanic Saint

Oct 27, 2017
It was the exact same way when I saw them last year. Funny thing is I didn't even know of Weezer and had no idea people had turned up for Weezer and not the Pixies. I think its because Weezer were pretty big in the US but not many of us know of them outside the US.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Some people just don't like the things you like, no matter how much you like them. I love electro swing, but I'm sure if I just started blasting Alice Francis at a crowd of average people, it would go unappreciated.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
I really wanted to go to one of these shows but I didn't have the chance.

Also, I'm a huge huge weezer fan and I definitely know who the pixies are. One of my favorite bands. Sounds like you got stuck with sucky people who are just there for Africa, Beverly Hills, and maybe Buddy Holly.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
This isn't as bad as when Franz Ferdinand and Sparks joined forces and became FFS a few years back, Ron Mael was clearly still the brains behind the whole thing but with the younger crowd being more likely to go to a concert the audience was skewed towards Franz Ferdinand fans going nuts over Alex Kapranos non stop while it was left to us older folks to go apeshit over Number One Song in Heaven and the worst thing of all is none of you people even have any idea what I'm talking about.

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Muse open for Depeche Mode back in 2006. It was weird seeing such a great live-band get no reaction from the crowd.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're there to see Weezer, they obviously have shit taste in music.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
They opened for them like 10 years ago at Milwaukee Summerfest too. I was at that show and there were maybe, MAYBE, 20 or so people in a crowd of thousands that seemed to be into it

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen Weezer three times because they were paired with bands I wanted to see more.

And once just for them, the first time.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I've definitely been to shows like this. It's just the crowd, don't think too much about it. I guess it's maybe generational, or if the type of music is slightly off nobody seems to be feeling opening bands.

That said, I'd definitely be there to see the Pixies at that show.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They came to KC too. People were feeling the Pixies but the Pixies also didnt have a lot of stage presence to get the crowd riled, tho I thought most of the crowd that was there loved it.

Weezer fucking knocked it out of the park tho.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw this tour. Dead-eyed Weezer covered Toto to a nonplussed audience. Later, Weezer completely got lost in their own song and it took a full minute to find the beat.

I wanted to like the Pixies but they didn't play Debaser so eff them too.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this tour. Dead-eyed Weezer covered Toto to a nonplussed audience. Later, Weezer completely got lost in their own song and it took a full minute to find the beat.

Oof. Weezer brought it in KC.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
That's a slightly odd combo. I dunno how they are live, but I LOVE the Pixies. Not really a Weezer fan in any capacity.

Best opener/main act combo I've seen live was Jonathan Coulton opening for They Might Be Giants. Now those work very well together, even if I'm not as hot on JoCo as I am TMBG

What'd they play from Doolittle? I love that whole damn album so I'd have been fine with any of it

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oof. Weezer brought it in KC.

It was a weird show. There were like two different 20-minute runs where Weezer was ON and people were having fun. But every time I thought "hell yeah let's goooo," they stumbled over themselves.

There was also a bit with a VHS player that totally didn't work.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
IDLES opened for Wolf Alice last year. I was like, I just want to see more IDLES cause they are so goddamn good and their stage presence is amazing.